Dabpress Rosin Plates

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Dabpress didn’t mess around with shipping. Two days later I’m pressing. My only experience prior was stealing the Wife’s hair straightener, which I had surprisingly good results with and ultimately lead me to ordering Dabpress’s 6 ton unit.

I started out with legally home grown indoor Motor Breath.A1BBD295-E349-43E9-82A4-124B33493BE7.jpeg
I smashed 3.5g bottle tech at 190 and got this.2B952C57-C3C0-4183-88AD-95018434BA52.jpeg
My return was 1g on the nose. Very exciting considering how much Motor Breath I have from my last grow. Plenty to smush. B63B2F81-0214-47F6-A7CF-A63E41CAA317.jpeg
Im dabbing out of my OG Vrod with a quartz dish and a DCup with a SiC dish. I have my dish temp at 500 for both. I get very nice first hits tapering off to a cooked plant material flavor. Is this just an indication of a rosin dab being kicked or do I need to adjust my dish temp?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I get very nice first hits tapering off to a cooked plant material flavor. Is this just an indication of a rosin dab being kicked or do I need to adjust my dish temp?

Id prob bring it down to like 450, I find flower rosin quite delicate and needing to be more conservative in my temperatures compared to hash rosin.

It’s easy to over press and squeeze plant juices into the rosin, another thing you avoid with pressing hash - you might try a more gentle approach and see how it comes out. Can’t say for sure you overdressed but in my experience everybody over presses for a while, takes a bit of experience to get a good feel for it, but once you see how little it really takes for flow, that’s when you start hitting the sweet spot of rosin. I tend to not like flower rosin much these days from plant-y flavors, but the stuff I squished the other day I was very conservative in temp and pressure and it was pretty nice. Good luck to ya!

Edit: FWIW flower rosin tends to taste better in my torched nail than my enail for me :science:

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
Id prob bring it down to like 450
Great info, thank you. That was what my gut was saying. I prefer things on the low temp side as it is.
It’s easy to over press and squeeze
I squished a few different strains and I definitely began to “feel” the puck being compressed and by my last press I had backed way off from how aggressive I was being with pressure in the beginning.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Great info, thank you. That was what my gut was saying. I prefer things on the low temp side as it is.

I squished a few different strains and I definitely began to “feel” the puck being compressed and by my last press I had backed way off from how aggressive I was being with pressure in the beginning.

You’re most welcome!

If your controller has an uptemp mode you might try starting lower and loading your dab, then have it ramp up. I like to do that sometimes, good for delicate flavors and smooth vapors 😎

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I will add my 2 cents to also say 450f is a great starting point for rosin...then 30f either way for fine-tuning to the specific dab material. I usually press the puck twice, low temp/pressure for the main blonde rosin collection then a bit warmer and harder for some dark rosin, usually another 3-5% just for some variety.

The Stray Fox

Separated from the group
@invertedisdead and @LesPlenty 450 is a way better starting point. Thank you.

I did second presses on my pucks, with success, though I ran them through again at the same 190 and folded in half. How much do you increase your temp on a second press?

I make edibles with my AVB. Is it worth saving the pucks for further extraction for making edibles?

shredder

I will add my 2 cents to also say 450f is a great starting point for rosin...then 30f either way for fine-tuning to the specific dab material. I usually press the puck twice, low temp/pressure for the main blonde rosin collection then a bit warmer and harder for some dark rosin, usually another 3-5% just for some variety.

I keep evolving. I started pressing flower twice and mixing the two presses, then keeping the second press for edibles, followed by just pressing once, and now I mostly press dry hash once and strip what's remaining with alcohol.

In my tumbler I can whip out ounces of hash in a short time, it's a 500 gram model that I got by a mistake, I wanted the 150 gram model. After I used it two weeks they realized their mistake, but long story short and many emails later I got it for the same price.

Lavendersage

Does anyone have the 4t press? I’m going to try it out soon. I bought it on sale since I will be doing small amounts anyway I thought it would be fine but a friend mentioned the heat plates may not be ideal? I mean I’m not expecting ideal on the smallest cheapest press but has anyone had major problems with it? Successes?

Blargas541

Anyone know if the 4t could handle 7g at a time in a puck bottle-tech style?

I'd really like to get into pressing, but the investment for a larger press and the amount of space it takes up is holding me back. Will I regret getting only the 4 ton without a gauge or is that only important for very large quantities/maximizing every last bit of efficiency?

Blargas541,
Reactions: LesPlenty

CR250M

Ontario, CA
I have the 4ton press and press 14g jammed bottletech style into a 37u bag everytime my buddy shows up with 8 bags full and works great!! (I usually have to pre press the bag in my vice to get it to fit between the plates though)

For personal I stick to 7g

Blargas541

Thanks a lot for the endorsement @CR250M I was wondering what kinds of yields you get and if you can do low temp presses, I read that some small models like Nugsmasher Mini only give terrible yield of 10% or less or burnt rosin because pressure is too weak, is it the case with these small models? I'm okay to press 7g at a time, but I will be using very often so the yield needs to be okay without pump or higher pressure and I want to use low temp for good flavors

@Lavendersage also curious your opinion so far

@psychonaut i wonder if you will ever have this press available in Canada? It seems perfect for my purpose but out of stock for a few years now, I will go with the 4 ton if this will never be restocked https://www.dabpress.com/products/10-ton-rosin-press-mini-dab-machine

Blargas541,

CR250M

Ontario, CA
@Blargas541 I usually get 15% to 20% from dispensary product but my buddies homegrown usually gets 10% or abit more

with my 4ton I press at 185C/365F for 3 mins 30 secs, first 30 sec are just squeezing the puck about 1/2 way down and letting it warm up, then I go full sqwish for 3mins... I usually recrank the handle down one crank at the 1.5min mark and the 2.5min mark

I think I'll have had mine for 3 yrs this May, no probs and best purchase ever!!!!!

Blargas541

@Blargas541 I usually get 15% to 20% from dispensary product but my buddies homegrown usually gets 10% or abit more

with my 4ton I press at 185C/365F for 3 mins 30 secs, first 30 sec are just squeezing the puck about 1/2 way down and letting it warm up, then I go full sqwish for 3mins... I usually recrank the handle down one crank at the 1.5min mark and the 2.5min mark

I think I'll have had mine for 3 yrs this May, no probs and best purchase ever!!!!!
much appreciated.. any tips for the best micron bags/pre-presses for bottle tek? I wanna do flower and hash rosin!

Blargas541,
Reactions: LesPlenty

CR250M

Ontario, CA
I use 90u and 37u no prepress blocks just break into small mini nugs and cram em in there then pre sqwish in a bench vise

the smaller the number of "u" the smaller the hole the less contaminant comes out (or so they say)

LesPlenty

Company Rep
the less contaminant comes out
Also traps a tiny bit more rosin, I recommend 40mm bottletech prepress as the wider puck is easier to fit between the jaws with my 10g pucks by just hand pressing...I only use a vice for 50g loads (2x25g).
And these are the best bags I have come across, value for money cannot be beaten (US$0.37c ea), I use 90micron myself for bud but just ordered some 25 & 45 for some THC separation experiments,
The ones linked above on the left compared to lesser quality (both the same pot, temp, time, pressure and micron),
1639106653404.jpg

Last edited:

MinnBobber

@LesPlenty , thanks.
I go to link and see bags but:

Pricing is confusing to me, looks like $7.20 for a lot of 10 BUT see possible 2 lot minimum
AND shipping shows as $34.43 to US.

What is the pricing on these?

MinnBobber,
Reactions: shredder

LesPlenty

Company Rep
1x lot = 20 bags for sure, I ordered 5 lots of 90u and received 100 bags.
In the listing under the description header where it gives you the price after you pick the size,
AU $10.28 / lot (20 Pieces)
or for US,
US $7.20 - 7.50 / lot (20 Pieces)

LesPlenty,
Reactions: shredder
Top Bottom