• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

dragon54

Hello and Thank you.

How do I order one of your batteries? Sorry for my ignorance here.

Warmly,
Bruce

bdpoulter,
Reactions: JCat

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@JCat , glad to see you continue the service.
I've skimmed all of your thread back on the oldFC and didn't see any mention/resolution of replacement battery plug n' plays for Mighty (other than your early speculation that they'd be the same?).

Maybe by now you've seen the video that @SquirrelMaster linked to the other day, re; Mighty dis-assembly;
Storz and Bickel Mighty Vaporizer Battery Replacement DIY | G Tank - Portable Vaporizer Review
(btw, is that guy being potentially dangerous with his soldering?)

Mighty clearly has 3 leads, running to 2 plugs on each battery, so this is different from Crafty, right?
Have you crossed this hurdle yet? In other words, can you provide me with ready-to-go batteries for my Mighty?

Cheers from New York.

JCat

Accessory Maker
@vapviking , I’ve had multiple people use 2 of these packs to repair their Mighty. They are indeed identical to the Crafty one, and my packs do work, you just need 2.

I sell a pair for $85 + shipping.

The extra wire and connector you see on the 2 packs is the same as on the Crafty. The smaller one is a battery temperature sensor that is just shrink wrapped in with the battery, but just needs to be laid against the battery during reassembly (no need to shrink wrap back in as the case when closed ensures contact)—I go over this somewhat in both my instructions and video.

Jerseyd3vil

@JCat I need one desperately for my Crafty! Can you please message me?
I have custom Crafty Battery Packs available for easy replacement of your battery pack. I started this project as I felt there should be an easy replacement available, that didn't require shipping your vaporizer back, especially for those of us with a vaporizer out of warranty.

CwPRH2T.jpg

These battery packs come ready to install with a pre-soldered wiring harness that meets or exceeds the specifications of the original. These are perfect for those of you that don't want to spend the time, don't have the tools, or simply aren't comfortable enough, to de-solder and re-solder the wiring harness from the original battery to a new one.

oGIl9rW.jpg

I've also sourced appropriate name brand cells with tabs for optimal performance based on others feedback in this forum, which guided my research (thanks @Vambo1980 for pointing me towards the Sony VTC6 3120mAh cell and for other inspiration and for answering my questions :)) The wire used for the harness is silver plated and rated for high current and low temperature operation.

I'm selling these packs for $40 USD + shipping.

The following are the instructions for installing your battery pack:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09116962006551867733

And here's the video instructions for installing the pack (doesn't cover removing the existing pack completely though, as I'm removing my custom pack and installing another one of my custom packs):

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
JCat

@JCat I need one desperately for my Crafty! At your earliest convenience, can you please message me?

Jerseyd3vil,

Giuseppe327

Are you still selling these for the crafty? I need one of you are. Message me and I'll send payment with shipping info. Thanks!!

Giuseppe327,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Hi @JCat - My Crafty has died on me. :huh:
I am assuming it is the battery - it does charge and is recognized by the app while plugged in. When I turn it on (plugged in), it says it is faulty and to return to them (way out of warranty).

Does that sound like a battery issue to you?
If yes, I will PM you to get things rolling.

The Crafty may be a bit of a dinosaur (slow heat up, session vs on demand, etc) but it still packs a punch, and I need it in my lineup! And while the Plus is tempting, your battery pack is a lot easier on my wallet.

Jill NYC,

JCat

Accessory Maker
@Jill NYC , when you say "it does charge", what exactly happens when you plug it in? Does it actually start to charge for a bit, then go to a full charge? Or just go straight to a full charge? Or other light patterns? (just trying to help assess first :) )

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@Jill NYC, some random thoughts/questions
What happens when you try to power it up when not plugged in? I assume it's nothing? (I don't think it's supposed to be able to power-on while plugged.)

Are you able to do a hard reset, when plugged or unplugged? (Hold button for about 10 seconds)

But no odd lights? Any lights?
You may have tripped the battery temp overload fuse thingy.

vapviking,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@JCat & @vapviking -
When it is unplugged and I try to power it on, nothing happens, No lights, no vibrate, nada.

When I plug it in, it will vibrate, then turn green, then red and finally blue (solid). (All in quick succession)
I assumed it was charged, but actually when I open app (while plugged in only), the battery shows empty, so disregard above where I said it does charge.

I tried to hard reset - it does nothing when unplugged. When plugged it, it seemed to recognize my holding power button for several seconds by turning off all lights.
Then I hit the power button quickly and I get same vibrate, green, red and blue all over again.

Jill NYC,

Benson X

Awesome thread and service you're providing @JCat!

I will have to get one of these from you in the near future. I just picked up a new (to me) Crafty that had 40 min. of use, but I found I can only get through 3.5-4 full sessions (5 min./ea. @ 380°- 395°F) before it dies. I guess that's to be expected from this 2+ year old battery, but it hasn't been cycled much being as it had such a low runtime.

You've made the replacement as simple as possible, using a better cell, so it'd be worth it to grab a spare to have on-hand to keep this thing running for a few more years. 👍

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat & @vapviking -
When it is unplugged and I try to power it on, nothing happens, No lights, no vibrate, nada.

When I plug it in, it will vibrate, then turn green, then red and finally blue (solid). (All in quick succession)
I assumed it was charged, but actually when I open app (while plugged in only), the battery shows empty, so disregard above where I said it does charge.

I tried to hard reset - it does nothing when unplugged. When plugged it, it seemed to recognize my holding power button for several seconds by turning off all lights.
Then I hit the power button quickly and I get same vibrate, green, red and blue all over again.
Sorry about the delayed response @Jill NYC , but was away over the weekend and not online much :)

Unfortunately, from what you are describing, that sounds like the main circuit board has failed, so it is unlikely a new battery would help (at least from the symptoms you are describing ... when i've previously seen this, that's what its been)

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Awesome thread and service you're providing @JCat!

I will have to get one of these from you in the near future. I just picked up a new (to me) Crafty that had 40 min. of use, but I found I can only get through 3.5-4 full sessions (5 min./ea. @ 380°- 395°F) before it dies. I guess that's to be expected from this 2+ year old battery, but it hasn't been cycled much being as it had such a low runtime.

You've made the replacement as simple as possible, using a better cell, so it'd be worth it to grab a spare to have on-hand to keep this thing running for a few more years. 👍
You are not too far off spec (or at least, off average). Crafty doesn't go very much more than what you are getting from this one.
But fresh batts are always nice!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Sorry about the delayed response @Jill NYC , but was away over the weekend and not online much :)

Unfortunately, from what you are describing, that sounds like the main circuit board has failed, so it is unlikely a new battery would help (at least from the symptoms you are describing ... when i've previously seen this, that's what its been)
Ugh. What a a bummer. I guess I will send it in - I really don’t want to take it out of my rotation.
Thanks for letting me know. Appreciate your honesty!

Jill NYC,

Benson X

@Jill NYC

I know this may sound like a cliché "tech support" question, but have you tried different micro-USB cables and/or charger units? I've had similar issues with other electronic gizmos, and you'd be surprised how much a bad cable or improper charger output can affect things.

I hope you can get it repaired and working again with minimal expense!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Benson X - I have not tried to switch out cable as it has been successful with charging other things, but I wil definitely give it a go when I get home. (Can’t hurt, that’s for sure!!)

If not, I am packing it up tonight, I actually got an RMA from S&B - we will see what they say.

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
@Jill NYC
- does not sound like a (completely) broken board to me, if it's working via USB power the micro controller should be fine
So either the voltage regulator between battery and controller or the battery itself is faulty - if you can measure the voltage of the battery

Used2use,

Benson X

You are not too far off spec (or at least, off average). Crafty doesn't go very much more than what you are getting from this one.
But fresh batts are always nice!
That's good to know about that I'm in that average or typical-use bracket for these unit's batteries. 3-4 sessions is more than sufficient for me, to be honest. Especially in this day and age where a charger and cable is readily available in most cases, or using a portable backup charger to charge it "on-the-go" or while in the woods. I just try to throw it on the charger after the 3rd session.

I will eventually get a replacement battery from @JCat, just to have on-hand for the inevitable time when it will need to be replaced. :tup:

caatik

Hi @JCat! FC noob here but my Crafty has been turning off due to heat at lower and lower temps. I did some research and determined it is a symptom of the battery getting older. If you still sell this kit, I would love to purchase one.

caatik,

JCat

Accessory Maker
Hi @JCat! FC noob here but my Crafty has been turning off due to heat at lower and lower temps. I did some research and determined it is a symptom of the battery getting older. If you still sell this kit, I would love to purchase one.
I'll send you a PM :)

JCat,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
@Used2use - Unfortunately, I do not have a way to measure voltage.
@Benson X - I tried a different cable and it made no difference.
Thanks for the suggestions. It certainly would have been nice to not have to spend $$.

I packed it up and sent it back to S&B. I will report the outcome over on the Crafty thread.

Sorry i wasn’t able to finally purchase a battery pack @JCat , I’m sure the day will eventually happen!

bpms

Hi @JCat, 211h and 1m later my Crafty Battery died. Are you still selling the battery packs? Thank you in advance for your PM and your help!

bpms,

ricey513

I have custom Crafty Battery Packs available for easy replacement of your battery pack. I started this project as I felt there should be an easy replacement available, that didn't require shipping your vaporizer back, especially for those of us with a vaporizer out of warranty.

CwPRH2T.jpg

These battery packs come ready to install with a pre-soldered wiring harness that meets or exceeds the specifications of the original. These are perfect for those of you that don't want to spend the time, don't have the tools, or simply aren't comfortable enough, to de-solder and re-solder the wiring harness from the original battery to a new one.

oGIl9rW.jpg

I've also sourced appropriate name brand cells with tabs for optimal performance based on others feedback in this forum, which guided my research (thanks @Vambo1980 for pointing me towards the Sony VTC6 3120mAh cell and for other inspiration and for answering my questions :)) The wire used for the harness is silver plated and rated for high current and low temperature operation.

I'm selling these packs for $40 USD + shipping.

The following are the instructions for installing your battery pack:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09116962006551867733

And here's the video instructions for installing the pack (doesn't cover removing the existing pack completely though, as I'm removing my custom pack and installing another one of my custom packs):

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!
JCat
Hello Newb here,
do you have any of these battery packs available now? My crafty is a few yrs old now and says it's charging, but will not start the heating process. Thinking a new pack might fix it? Thanks

ricey513,

Kenzie

Hi are you still selling the batteries? and if so are you able to ship to Australia? Thank you :) So happy to have found your product and get some new life into an old vape

Top Bottom