Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

Kasish

Hey guys, had my crafty for a few weeks now, I love it.

No issues until today when it stopped connecting to the app. It says no vaporizer is found even though the crafty is turned on and working.

I'm not sure if this a common problem. Have any of you guys experienced it? I've tried googling but didn't find many people with my problem. Pretty disappointed to have an issue so soon after buying it.
is the Bluetooth turned on?

Kasish,
Reactions: Thcgos

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Hey guys, had my crafty for a few weeks now, I love it.

No issues until today when it stopped connecting to the app. It says no vaporizer is found even though the crafty is turned on and working.

I'm not sure if this a common problem. Have any of you guys experienced it? I've tried googling but didn't find many people with my problem. Pretty disappointed to have an issue so soon after buying it.

Try the following steps in sequence and move to the next if it doesn't resolve the bluetooth connectivity issue.

1) Check your phone and OS version is supported on S&B website.

2) Powercycle phone.

3) Uninstall and reinstall the app.

4) Factory reset your crafty.
Press and hold the power button for ~10seconds. It will flash a light sequence and it will be back to factory default settings.

5) If you are an android user. Try Ligi's Vaporizer Controll Crafty (in play store).
I dont use the stock anymore, only Ligi's.

6) Try another phone or tablet.

Vaporcussion

Had the same problem; the bluetooth is sometimes recognized and sometimes not. It usually comes back the next day...

Vaporcussion,

cdroy

Try the following steps in sequence and move to the next if it doesn't resolve the bluetooth connectivity issue.

1) Check your phone and OS version is supported on S&B website.

2) Powercycle phone.

3) Uninstall and reinstall the app.

4) Factory reset your crafty.
Press and hold the power button for ~10seconds. It will flash a light sequence and it will be back to factory default settings.

5) If you are an android user. Try Ligi's Vaporizer Controll Crafty (in play store).
I dont use the stock anymore, only Ligi's.

6) Try another phone or tablet.

I restarted my phone, had to put the serial number into the app again and now its working!

Thank you so much.

Joaon

Hi everyone! :peace:

Just a newb from France, but a long time sneaky reader :ninja:
I've just finished to read ALL thread from beginning :myday: and my Crafty is on is way, I pulled the trigger..

Knowing one side the commons issues that Crafty is subject (OverHeat, battery life, etc..:rip:)
& the other the solutions given by Vambo1980 :tup:;
I'm thinking to sacrifice (or salve..) my brand new Crafty for a video/Tuto of Hack#d Crafty ! :
Measure heating time as it arrives, and then open it, solder heating element to the board, dewrapp battery, glue thermistor on Crafty body, and solder/glue two 18650 contacts
like that ->

contact-pour-accu-18650-2767872.jpg

Still searching THE battery, like a 3500mAh at 20A , anyone ? :hmm:

What do you think ? :sherlock:

:leaf:

Meanwhile, gettin' some good vibes from my good old' Herborizer :ninja:

:peace:

Last edited:

Vambo1980

Hi everyone! :peace:

Just a newb from France, but a long time sneaky reader :ninja:
I've just finished to read ALL thread from beginning :myday: and my Crafty is on is way, I pulled the trigger..

Knowing one side the commons issues that Crafty is subject (OverHeat, battery life, etc..:rip:)
& the other the solutions given by Vambo1980 :tup:;
I'm thinking to sacrifice (or salve..) my brand new Crafty for a video/Tuto of Hack#d Crafty ! :
Measure heating time as it arrives, and then open it, solder heating element to the board, dewrapp battery, glue thermistor on Crafty body, and solder/glue two 18650 contacts
like that ->

contact-pour-accu-18650-2767872.jpg

Still searching THE battery, like a 3500mAh at 20A , anyone ? :hmm:

What do you think ? :sherlock:

:leaf:

Meanwhile, gettin' some good vibes from my good old' Herborizer :ninja:

Hi Joaon, Welcome to the crafty club. Still my FAV vape but for how much longer i wonder.. A firefly 2 will be landing on my doorstep very soon.

I'm sure a tutorial would be very helpful for people!

I like the idea of the battery holders you showed, but I'm not sure they would fit unless you cut open the plastic housing and make a removable cover, but worth ago no doubt.

My father-in-law has just made himself a new 3D printer...its pretty awesome!! Now if someone can design me new case to print (with removable battery cover) send the drawing to me!

As i have mentioned previously for a snappy heating performance you need a battery with low internal resistance and highest voltage under a sustained 8-10A discharge all at the lowest temperature possible. If i had to choose a battery today, it would be the VCT6 if not a genuine LG HG2 or Samsung 30Q

Keep us posted about your ideas on the crafty modds!!!

Joaon

Again, congratulations Vambo :tup::rockon: :bowdown:

In the Quest of perfect 18650, I checked Dampfakkus.de and made this :

@ 5A:
885408Capturedecran20160923a004322.jpg

There are:

Panasonic NCR18650 2900mAh 10A
Samsung INR18650-25R Bleu 2500mAh 20A
LG INR18650MH1 3200 mAh 10A
LG 18650HG2 3000mAh 20A

Crafty's battery is a 2700mAh 10A, the most close here will be the Panasonic NCR18650

As you can see, mAh are not the most important!
The Samsung runs at higher voltage than Panasonic.
The LG MH1, 3200mAh sounds great! But it sucks compared to the HG2 that have 3000mAh !

----

See now @ 10A:
592-10A.png

LG INR18650MH1 3200 mAh 10A
LG 18650HG2 3000mAh 20A

The gap between HG2 & MH1 is much bigger! HG2 has 0,20-0,30v more than MH1.
And as Crafty cutoff at ≈ 3v, we don't give a f#ck that MH1 runs longer below 3v.
HG2 seams also a little better than 30Q!

So discharge current is also a major factor!

I'm gonna try the LG HG2 on the Crafty, and see if it heat faster & longer

:2c:

Edit :myday::

645-20A.png

Oh, and :

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...-vs-samsung-30q-vs-sony-vtc6-shootout.757553/

So HG2 OR VTC6 GENUINE is the way to Go ! :clap:

(I see VTC6 is Lithium-Manganese instead of Lithium-Ion. Something to keep in mind??)

And yes, 3D printed cases would be AWESOME ! :razz:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Yeah! Kinda like the people with 1,000,000 mile Toyotas. Maybe you will get put in a commercial . .. ;)
I'm sure S&B already know of @Vambo1980 's success. I don't think they'll openly applaud it because it's an alteration to their design, even though a very good one. His reward for raising the bar and the treat for us all will be in the form of a far better next product from S&B!

Joaon

His reward for raising the bar and the treat for us all will be in the form of a far better next product from S&B!

And in the fact that he did improvements on the actual product! :nod:
If only most Crafty users had followed him this way, there will be far less RMAs and time lost IMO !
Crafty should get out of the factory with at least heater connections soldered ! :myday:

But it's okay for a 300$ product, I will do it myself.. :razz: [/Sarcasm]

:leaf: :peace:

Last edited:

Joaon

Yeah, I will not gainsay that, since I'm waiting for my 1th Crafty to comes by; to craft his Motherfu#ckin' face ! :cool:

Vambo1980

(I see VTC6 is Lithium-Manganese instead of Lithium-Ion. Something to keep in mind??)

The limited information i found out earlier this year was that the real performance increase is in temperature stability due to its structural strength. That and the fact lithium-manganese-oxide is cheap and non-toxic (apparently) think we will be seeing more of these batteries and we should also see very slightly more mAh/g as they hone in on it.

About this time 10 years ago (10years WOW) I started playing with A123 Lithium Iron Phosphate cells, I found them accidentally, I had a faulty battery in my Dewalt kit i ripped it apart to find these little cylindrical pots of gold. The issues were with the battery management electronics not the actual cells, so to not waste the cells, i stripped them out and decided to make up a battery pack and stick it into an old Tamiya radio control car i had in the loft from when i was a teenager. For the 5 min it lasted before it blew up the motor it was amazing, from there i got into Brushless Electric RC off-road 1/8th RC racing and turned up at a local track with my homemade packs and raced the nitro guys! Easily killing them on the straights!!!The hobby was also Killing my bank balance so it had to stop a few years later unfortunately. I still have A123 cells in all my Dewalt 36V equipment, the very first battery i had is still used almost daily in my impact wrench and SDS drill fairly often. The cycle-life with these batteries is amazing! must be well over 1500 cycles it has had, still works like a peach capacity is slightly down but still has the same grunt like it did when new.. The contacts/terminals of battery are wearing out before the actual cells...(apologies if i have told this story before)

I still have a few Samsung 25R's left so will continue using these in my crafty. I really want to continue using my crafty but i have a feeling next thing that could fail on my unit is the micro USB socket, it really does get some hammer... it must get plugged in and out 5-10 times a day. The casing has been glued together with the help of paper clips as supports. In OCT i will have had a crafty for two years, my original one was replaced in Feb 2015 If it makes it till Feb i will be happy 2 years solid daily use.

Long live the crafty!!!

Mine will expire in Nov/Dec. Unfortunately, I only have 36 hours on it, so I'll likely not get a chance to take advantage of the warranty. Oldest firmware and S/N < 500.

That poor crafty has been neglected from birth! If you put some hours on it it will undoubtedly fail, abuse it before its too late :-)

perspectionist

Interesting developments with respect to my 3rd Crafty failure (89hrs)

RMA request sent on 08/29/2016

did not receive response:shrug:

Sent E-mail to S&B (Oakland) on 9/6/2016

Received E-mail from S&B that afternoon with a RMA and a shipping label:nod: (for 2lbs)

Sent non functioning Crafty to Oakland with note written on the RMA printout requesting an upgrade to the Mighty

Crafty Delivered to Oakland on 9/15/2016

Received Fed-Ex shipment notification on 9/19/2016 (for 3lbs?!):hmm:

On 9/23/2016 a MIGHTY arrives !!!!!:rockon:

No upgrade charge!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

As some might remember, I have had some issues with S&B CS. I must say that they have now exceeded my expectations.

Excellent CS!:)

Seems like at some point S&B would just say screw it and discontinue the Crafty entirely urging customers to instead buy a Mighty....seems to be how most Crafty buyers end up anyway.

Skywalker OG,

Thcgos

Vape Addict
Seems like at some point S&B would just say screw it and discontinue the Crafty entirely urging customers to instead buy a Mighty....seems to be how most Crafty buyers end up anyway.

Disagree completely...
The main component that fails on the crafty is the battery.

They dont need to abandon the crafty.
They just need to change their design to introduce user swappable batteries (like most other vapes these days).

People would easily be able to get 600hrs+ on their crafty with this design change.
Look at @Vambo1980 who is living proof that the battery is the Achilles heel of the design .... and that with swapable batteries you can achieve 600hrs+!!!

Disagree completely...
The main component that fails on the crafty is the battery.

They dont need to abandon the crafty.
They just need to change their design to introduce user swappable batteries (like most other vapes these days).

People would easily be able to get 600hrs+ on their crafty with this design change.
Look at @Vambo1980 who is living proof that the battery is the Achilles heel of the design .... and that with swapable batteries you can achieve 600hrs+!!!
Right that would be cool, but until then you'd think they would discontinue their failure of a vaporizer. I've only seen proof of one non modded crafty lasting over a hundred hours. 3 of mine failed before 30 hours and I gave up and put the last one I received up for sale. Swappable batteries would be awesome but the current crafty doesn't have them.

S&B also doesn't seem to have any desire to include the feature or they would have from the start. Running a high powered vaporizer off of a single weak 18650 is bound to cause problems.

Last edited:
Skywalker OG,

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
Right that would be cool, but until then you'd think they would discontinue their failure of a vaporizer. I've only seen proof of one non modded crafty lasting over a hundred hours. 3 of mine failed before 30 hours and I gave up and put the last one I received up for sale. Swappable batteries would be awesome but the current crafty doesn't have them.

S&B also doesn't seem to have any desire to include the feature or they would have from the start. Running a high powered vaporizer off of a single weak 18650 is bound to cause problems.
My first unit lasted over 70 hours, second unit over 200 hours and the third over 150 hours. All non modded! My actual unit number 4 has reached 115 hours and hits like a champ.

Bad Ocelot

I think part of the problem is that S&B don't mention that the Crafty is designed for lighter use. If you're vaping a gram or more per day with it, the battery is going to fail rather quickly. Plus it's going to have to be on the charger for a considerable portion of the day as well, which also isn't great for batteries.

Based on the device specs it seems like it's ideal use is probably lighter users or as an adjunct or (more) portable companion to something like the Mighty or Plenty. I typically only go through one or two dosing capsules per day, if that. Depending on my stash it may sit around for a few days or a week at a time occasionally. And I'm fine with that, it suits my level of use perfectly.

If you want a heavy duty vape, by all means get one of their heavier duty models. But if you're a lighter user or want something you can stick in your pocket on the way out the door to a show or something, pick up a Crafty, it's a great vape for what it is. But trying to run a quarter per week through it is a bit like taking a family sedan to a race track. I mean, sure you can, but why would you? :hmm:

Top Bottom