TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Welp. The CL is really starting to dominate the reach test at home. I'm happy because this is what I want from my only desktop. It should beat out most of my portables a lot of the time, and it has been doing just that.

In a turn of events, I seem to enjoy 5.5 on the dial now instead of the 4's and I just moderate my draw to avoid any scorching. I'm getting perfect, darkish, copper colored roasts that seem fully extracted. Hits really hard and I'm loving the full spectrum effects.

I'd like to experiment going forward by trying it natively again with the wooden stem but only to try low temp, tasty hits (say 340-365F). What temp on the dial would you suggest? 3-3.5?

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
d like to experiment going forward by trying it natively again with the wooden stem but only to try low temp, tasty hits (say 340-365F). What temp on the dial would you suggest? 3-3.5?
It seems like no ones CL is calibrated exactly the same, so comparing settings should include a huge grain of salt. Of course I also think the supposed bowl temperature reported by most vapes is also ridiculous. Too many variables to make that useful across vapes, even if each had a temporary probe in the bowl.

I would say just experiment. If you want the lowest temp, possibly tastiest hits, start at the very lowest setting. You may not see visible vapor but I bet you will find the taste amazing. Adjust as needed and have fun!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
It seems like no ones CL is calibrated exactly the same, so comparing settings should include a huge grain of salt. Of course I also think the supposed bowl temperature reported by most vapes is also ridiculous. Too many variables to make that useful across vapes, even if each had a temporary probe in the bowl.
Agreed. I've experienced how wildly reported temps can vary across vapes.
I would say just experiment. If you want the lowest temp, possibly tastiest hits, start at the very lowest setting. You may not see visible vapor but I bet you will find the taste amazing. Adjust as needed and have fun!
Thanks! I'll definitely have fun and that's not a bad suggestion. Things need time to settle when changing temps on the CL so you can't really do temp-stepping without waiting. I wonder though if I can find a low setting that starts wispy and tasty but after repeated hits maybe the metal bowl gets hot enough for the conduction effects to "step up" the temperature. 🤔

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Hi All.

I was giving my CL a little rubdown with dynawax and fumbled it and now there's a tiny dent (about 3mm diameter, 0.5mm deep) in the oak cylinder 😪. I researched on how to remove dents from wood and found this video:

Could this work with the CL and a small heat source? 😬

TigoleBitties,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Hi All.

I was giving my CL a little rubdown with dynawax and fumbled it and now there's a tiny dent (about 3mm diameter, 0.5mm deep) in the oak cylinder 😪. I researched on how to remove dents from wood and found this video:

That's a cool tip. I wonder if that would have any effect on the finish. Probably not but just thinking out loud.

Grass Yes,

Chris@420Eng

Manufacturer
Hi All.

the wood won't absorb water since its oiled/waxed.
maybe use wax as filling? you can find it in various colors.
Shoot me a picture if you want so i can get a better feeling whats best.

budweis

Comfortably Numb
Outside is getting colder, days are getting shorter and VAS season is back. And boy, did it strike me hard right from the start. I’ve finally pulled the plug and ordered an oak unit. I fought well at the beginning and came up with a bulletproof excuse that I needed to wait for matching controllers. After they finally came, I even muted this thread. :hmm:

But on Friday I was left alone with our little one for a weekend, so after tucking him in I took out my Bowle – unguarded and medicated I felt a sudden urge I deserve a treat!

Fast-forward to Tuesday and it’s already here. But so is my wife :uhoh: I managed to unbox it so far and boy, it’s so small. Which is a good thing because it can’t serve as a murder weapon. I love the appearance and it feels great in hand. Love me some wood!

Lately, I got a thing for light species and besides that, the sustainability aspect is something I always value. Not saying I won’t end up with something more exotic in the future. If I manage to survive after spilling the beans about buying this one.

Looking forward to experimenting in the following days but already glad to have it in my collection. Well done, Chris!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
the wood won't absorb water since its oiled/waxed.
maybe use wax as filling? you can find it in various colors.
Shoot me a picture if you want so i can get a better feeling whats best.
Thanks for the reply!

I actually realized exactly what you mentioned, that the wood is waxed (duh! since I was the one waxing it 🤦‍♂️) and wouldn't absorb water. I did find other videos using wax filling so I will give this a go. I'll send a pic if/when I can.

budweis

Comfortably Numb
Having a few sessions in, I am even more stunned. First attempts were trial and error with some hotspotting but now I feel like on the right path. In my case what helped the most was dialing the tamping. Light tamp is more than enough, like almost no tamping at all and I got nice and even medium coffee roast. I’m playing on the lower side of the temp range, going dry using the wooden stem and it’s awesome. A little bit hotter than Bowle but that one has crazy cooling abilities. CL packs a little bit more calories though.

But what knocked my socks off was going on glass. My sole piece is a little dab rig, a Heisenberg take on the Rio Stache glass, that I use with my VonG. Dropping the herb chamber directly on the glass joint and going dry injector style was the best tasting experience I have had so far with all my vapes. Also I was left incapable of moving for half an hour using so little herb I wouldn’t even believe it was possible.

In my books, it’s a swiss knife of a vape how versatile it is. Now my question is, would I benefit from getting a bigger glass? I was thinking maybe a globe, or what do you guys think?

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Having a few sessions in, I am even more stunned. First attempts were trial and error with some hotspotting but now I feel like on the right path. In my case what helped the most was dialing the tamping. Light tamp is more than enough, like almost no tamping at all and I got nice and even medium coffee roast. I’m playing on the lower side of the temp range, going dry using the wooden stem and it’s awesome. A little bit hotter than Bowle but that one has crazy cooling abilities. CL packs a little bit more calories though.

But what knocked my socks off was going on glass. My sole piece is a little dab rig, a Heisenberg take on the Rio Stache glass, that I use with my VonG. Dropping the herb chamber directly on the glass joint and going dry injector style was the best tasting experience I have had so far with all my vapes. Also I was left incapable of moving for half an hour using so little herb I wouldn’t even believe it was possible.

In my books, it’s a swiss knife of a vape how versatile it is. Now my question is, would I benefit from getting a bigger glass? I was thinking maybe a globe, or what do you guys think?
I make a great glass wpa for the cl.

coolbreeze

Now my question is, would I benefit from getting a bigger glass? I was thinking maybe a globe, or what do you guys think?
I'd suggest one of these vapor rigs, the taller narrow ones preferably. They cool well and don't destroy the flavors, and there's no backpressure so you herbs won't be launched by the water settling.

There's a newer China version, and FC mod, that you can find in the cheap glass thread (similar, not the same). Roor and Herborizer make versions, in the US it's the Goo Roo 3-piece.

budweis

Comfortably Numb
I'd suggest one of these vapor rigs, the taller narrow ones preferably. They cool well and don't destroy the flavors, and there's no backpressure so you herbs won't be launched by the water settling.

There's a newer China version, and FC mod, that you can find in the cheap glass thread (similar, not the same). Roor and Herborizer make versions, in the US it's the Goo Roo 3-piece.
Thanks a lot, should have done my homework prior asking. Already found some interesting info in the glass thread. Sorry for OT in here everybody!

budweis

Comfortably Numb
New glass piece arrived today and after first test I must say

HOLY FUCK!

Many, many, MANY tests will follow but VAS is shrieking in the corner weak as never was. I like riding lower temps, and here, I'm still getting cloudy hits dancing with amazing flavor.

Can we be friends now?
------
JfqqKPql.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom