Camouflet Convector

SpacelyJetson

I've had mine since Friday. Ordered Wednesday delivered by Friday.. great.

Been playing around with it since then. Only use the wand to heat. Havent cracked out the torches yet.

Certainly enjoying it so far. Had one issue initially where I pushed the cap down like the hulk and had to "use my string hand" to get it off.

Was shocked how small and lightweight it is. Very pleased at how quickly you can heat up and cool down. Still trying different draw techniques.
Very nice quick microdoser.

I will say I'm not a dark avb guy or a popcorn flavor fella. I'm a once the terps are gone I'm gone type of gent. That's usually done in two hits. The flavor is pretty good to me. Hit some Cherry Chem this morning that made me go MM mm mM! Hit some Fuel Biscuits over the weekend that was so flavorful I didnt even bother going for the 2nd hit immediately so I wouldnt taint the tastiness.

Hit it thru water as well. Loved it. Just wrapped a rubberband around part of the mouthpiece.

I'll keep playing around. And keep an eye on this thread. Neat lil vape. May post some usage videos later

seriousTone

Second bowl - combusted after the 3rd hit.

I heated for 10s, 15s, 18s. Interesting though that the bottom 1/4 of the bowl is not getting heated enough; this could be the result of that I'm heating the top face of the cap and also a double flame torch so maybe I'm misjudging and holding it too close - but I should also try heating around the top of the tip like was originally recommended by Camouflet.

So lots of things for me to work out, but I'll give it a quick cleaning and try the single bore with a single flame torch before trying the quad bore again.

I must say, the thing hits very smoothly; the vapor from the quad bore is super cool even with your tongue directly in front of the holes. The shape of the stem feels great in the mouth and I'm not even minding the metal feel as much as I do with the dynavap m.

As @SpacelyJetson said, by the end of each hit, the cap is barely warm it is pretty neat.

EDIT: WOW, ok so my hits at 15s heatup with a single flame torch are the first time I think I was ever reminded of the hits I would get off my e nano. Wow those hits were nice. The device already feels much more forgiving with a single flame torch; the vapor still feels very cool to me with the single bore.

We'll see if I combust at the end or not ha.

Last edited:

J.R. Bob Dobbs

Here are some thoughts after a day of experimentation:

The o-rings were not too hard to put on the cores for me, but may be a little tight for those with dexterity issues. I had no trouble following the directions to barely insert the tip of the Convector into the Wand from the bottom of the Wand so the Convector stays upright. Waiting for 14 blinks of the Wand provides a nice, medium temperature hit. I like to actually take my first hit after 12 blinks for a tastier lower temp hit that still provides some visible vapor.

The single bore ceramic core provides a bigger, more immediate, but hotter hit. It has a very open airflow despite the lack of an airport (carb). The quad bore ceramic core definitely cools the vapor more and gives a smoother hit at higher temperatures, but the airflow is a little more restricted. It’s not too hard to pull, though, so I don’t think an airport is really needed for this core either.

Both cores provide very good flavor. It seems like there is mainly convection heating going on based on the retained flavor throughout the session and the avb color. In general, the flavor is better than a dynavap, and it lasts longer throughout the session. You can get small flavorful hits, or big lung busting hits depending on how long you heat the tip (duh!). It’s really easy to dial in without a click by counting the blinks on the Wand.

Unlike a dynavap or pretty much any of my other vapes, each hit from the Convector really needs to be one continuous draw. If you try to take multiple puffs the heat dissipates and you don’t get much of a hit. When you take a continuous draw of at least 5 seconds you are rewarded with a really nice hit that can even be huge using the singe bore core. This technique takes a little getting used to, but is consistent once dialed in. In many ways this device is the opposite of the new heavy cap dyna trend. You have to re-heat it every time, and you only get one puff per heat cycle.

The cap really needs a “digger” like the dyna caps—a long end to help scoop out the herbs. I don’t enjoy having to use an additional tool to clear the chamber (spoiled by my dynas!).

The tip and cap fit well on my dyna stems. My favorite way to use the Convector tip so far is with my Glass Charlie dynavap stem. This combo provides nice cooling with excellent flavor from the Convector. I much prefer this combo to either of the provided ceramic cores and steel stem. The glass stem provides better flavor and the airport does come in handy to help regulate those hits that were heated longer in the Wand. Right now I'm prefering this Convector + Glass Charlie stem to using the same stem with a vapcap tip. I'm really enjoying the extra flavor and airflow of the Convector.

I think the tip and cap should be sold separately from the stem and at the lowest plausible price point to ensure success for this company. While the ceramic cooling stem is novel and effective, there is a whole world of compatible stems out there, including some great glass cooling ones.

Future improvements I’d like to see on the Convector:
  • digger for cap
  • tip and cap made of Titanium
  • alternate screens for the tip (where the herb lays)
  • tip and cap sold separately from the stem and at a low price point (ideally around $75 for a titanium version, a little less than a dyna TI tip and cap)
If the Convector team could pull off any or all of the above they have a home run for convection-based one-hitter vapes. The fact that you have to heat the tip every time you want to inhale could put some people off, but when used with the Wand it’s a nice ritual and only slightly more effort than using another one-hitter analog vape.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I lost my orings because there was no way to get them in the tube without losing my damn mind. The OD is simply too big to be reasonable. They don't need to be a tight fit to fit. The Dynavap o-rings are exactly the size of the stem and that's all that's needed.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
Maybe a sort of o-ring tool type key could be done to push them in place. Perhaps creating a divet in the ceramic would make the od of the orings sit slightly lower. Its been nice using a torch. Faster heat up times and i can go for a denser hit. I would definitely like the option to get spare tips and caps. It would be nice to keep one for induction to keep it looking nice. Overall still having fun w this device

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Maybe a sort of o-ring tool type key could be done to push them in place. Perhaps creating a divet in the ceramic would make the od of the orings sit slightly lower. Its been nice using a torch. Faster heat up times and i can go for a denser hit. I would definitely like the option to get spare tips and caps. It would be nice to keep one for induction to keep it looking nice. Overall still having fun w this device
The divet idea is what I was imagining. The od is perfect until they get stretched by the tube

Also, with the single draw idea, I've found that at higher temps I actually combust if I do mouth to lung hits at all. So definitely a continuous draw situation.

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Wow! Some great reviews so far! Thanks for everyone's thorough and detailed reports.

The flavor of that first hit was freaking delectable with no vapor then it was followed by a couple more satisfying lol hits. It's very satisfying to use. It's very nice vapor. I like the build. I like the idea
The Convector does offer quite a delectable flavor profile!

Hit some Cherry Chem this morning that made me go MM mm mM! Hit some Fuel Biscuits over the weekend that was so flavorful I didnt even bother going for the 2nd hit immediately so I wouldnt taint the tastiness.

Hit it thru water as well. Loved it. Just wrapped a rubberband around part of the mouthpiece.

I'll keep playing around. And keep an eye on this thread. Neat lil vape. May post some usage videos later
"so I wouldn't taint the tastiness." Haha awesome!

Mesh screens
Inter tube orings
Probably double the amount of things in the cap
Have some space between the top layer of holes and the air intakes
Future improvements I’d like to see on the Convector:
  • digger for cap
  • tip and cap made of Titanium
  • alternate screens for the tip (where the herb lays)
  • tip and cap sold separately from the stem and at a low price point (ideally around $75 for a titanium version, a little less than a dyna TI tip and cap)
If the Convector team could pull off any or all of the above they have a home run for convection-based one-hitter vapes.
Suggestions noted. Added to the refinements list. All feasible, in due time.

Second bowl - combusted after the 3rd hit.

I heated for 10s, 15s, 18s. Interesting though that the bottom 1/4 of the bowl is not getting heated enough; this could be the result of that I'm heating the top face of the cap and also a double flame torch so maybe I'm misjudging and holding it too close - but I should also try heating around the top of the tip like was originally recommended by Camouflet.

EDIT: WOW, ok so my hits at 15s heatup with a single flame torch are the first time I think I was ever reminded of the hits I would get off my e nano. Wow those hits were nice. The device already feels much more forgiving with a single flame torch; the vapor still feels very cool to me with the single bore.
Single flame torch lighters are best. Single flame will provide better heating accuracy and allow for shorter heat up times. We'd suggest shortening your subsequent heating times after the first draw, ie 10s, 6-8s, etc. This factors in heat retention between draws and as material is being extracted it won't require as much initial heat. Try combining both heating locations; start by heating around the top of the tip as shown in our demo video, moving towards the top face and targeting the intake holes as seen in your video.

While the ceramic cooling stem is novel and effective, there is a whole world of compatible stems out there, including some great glass cooling ones.
What features, function or design related, would people like to see implemented into our current metal stem? We will add some glass stem options asap.

We've been testing out some torch heating techniques, thanks to @seriousTone suggestion of flame heating the top surface of the cap where the intake holes are located. This method works splendidly well.

Tips:
-Single Flame Torch recommended.
-Set torch/lighter mid to full output. Tip of the flame should be touching the cap.
-Start by aiming the flame at the contour of the cap towards the tip and move towards intake holes/top of the cap.
-Cold start/First draw 5-8 seconds of heating. Do not inhale while heating the intake holes to avoid combustion.
-IMPORTANT! We recommend starting with loading the chamber/bowl HALF FULL OR LESS, until you're comfortable with heating techniques. This will increase the headroom between the heater and herb in the chamber, avoiding the dreaded combustion. The Convector heater is quite powerful and efficient. Even with smaller load sizes, strong effects and lung busting vapor output is possible.

"Less is more."

Last edited:

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I've actually been heating the corner of the cap at a 45 degree downward angle lately so that when the flame is spread over the top, some is directed into the cap without radiating all the way through to the herb.

And again, I'm telling you, just use the flame color to judge temp. Then it doesn't matter what torch or flame size you use.

Last edited:

Choices

Mine arrived today. I didn’t have much issue with getting the rings on but I do think it was because I was very mindful and went slow and paid close attention.
I started out using my trusty Honest single flame. Couple of things I’ve figured out so far going through just three bowls: the heat up process is much like a Vapman for those of you familiar with that ritual. Just a few seconds longer than a VM at each point along the way but I kept getting that sense. I was able to go through all the possibilities so far from wispy hits to great terp filled draws and on the last bowl I just decided to just do it as if I had no understanding what it was and simply thought it was a new concept model by Dynavap. I pulled my current herbal choice and just plunged the sharp edge of the bowl into a fairly dense nugget. I pulled it out and the wasn’t much room to spare at all, basically full. I put the cap on and heated it up for about a 15 count so a tad too long likely for how it was loaded. Sure enough I singed the part of the load farthest in and it started to feel like I may have combusted. I figured oh well not gonna waste it and inhaled and got a tremendous inhale of thick vapor. So I’m going to maintain the loading method because it is easy and see how it goes with closer to ten seconds. Many variables to explore!

seriousTone

I take back what I said previously, I am finding that it is indeed necessary to heat multiple times at a given temp in order to slowly heat the herb and approach an even extraction with a full bowl. Even so though the back quarter of my loads seem to be getting little to no heat and I must stir the load for an even extraction.

Try combining both heating locations; start by heating around the top of the tip as shown in our demo video, moving towards the top face and targeting the intake holes as seen in your video.
I combined both heating locations this last bowl and that's definitely going to be my technique. The first few hits of pure convection really are something else - I stirred after the 2nd low temp hit to incorporate some of the fresh herb from the back and did another low temp hit, wow!

I only filled the bowl halfway but still, if I don't stir until the front of the load is coffee brown, the back 1/4 of the bowl is not nearly as toasted as the front - even yellowish brown still. This isn't that much of a problem with my handy dandy scoop-n-stir but would prove to be a little inconvenient or annoying to waste that herb if I was out and about and wanted to reload.

Is anyone else achieving full even extraction with no stir? I was always under the impression convection vapes usually do need to be stirred but just wondering. I guess that's the first point to Dynavap - that full even extraction. Sorry about always comparing but it really can't be helped.

BUT with one or two stirs and conscientious heating, the vapor is super pleasant all the way through and I get an even dark brown extraction.

I use the color of the flame to judge the temp. It'll change from blue to orange to yellow. Once it's totally yellow it's nearing or at combustion temps so I stop once the flame is a bright orange that's almost yellow and get a really nice tasty fairly dark roast by the time there's no more vapor.
Honestly at first I was thinking, wtf are you talking about? But now I see ha, at about 20 seconds the flame does indeed start to turn orange and it provides a nice higher temp hit. Very nice alternate to the click if you're trying to down the bowl in as few hits as possible.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Got mine today, struggled with the frikkin o-rings, torched my first bowl, read the damn directions, been having a grand old time! I'm still only guessing my timings and so forth but about 4 seconds glancing off the top edge and then another 3-4 glancing over the top for a big, terpy hit. I'm getting, idk, 4-6 nice hits with straw-loaded, untamped, half- or two-third-bowls. I have had to stir, once per, but shaking sometimes works too. I've gotten a bit of scorched taste if I've been aggressive but otherwise it's been fairly even, and pretty tasty when I've hit it right. I feel like it's reasonably intuitive if you're familiar with similar vapes and I expect the curve will not be arduous.

Had to try a bubbler, worked pretty well. Brilliant making it universal.
IMG-3888.jpg
IMG-3905.jpg

seriousTone

I've been smoking more than usual lately because I love the flavor and hits of this thing; took it out cross country skiiing and it was great.

I'm now getting fantastic, consistent results - very even dark brown abv - from both single flame and double flame torch.

The secret is 2-4 stirs, which would make some kind of digger on the cap the #1 PRIORITY in my eyes for this device in the future.
A longer cap would be fun to experiment with but no way to stir, when the loads really need to be for an even turnout, is my biggest and maybe only miss.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I've been smoking more than usual lately because I love the flavor and hits of this thing; took it out cross country skiiing and it was great.

I'm now getting fantastic, consistent results - very even dark brown abv - from both single flame and double flame torch.

The secret is 2-4 stirs, which would make some kind of digger on the cap the #1 PRIORITY in my eyes for this device in the future.
A longer cap would be fun to experiment with but no way to stir, when the loads really need to be for an even turnout, is my biggest and maybe only miss.
I'd love a digger in the cap. But how without changing the way the cap sits on the device?

Also, I'd like to reiterate my flame point. The darker blue part of the flame is where the color change happens. I'm nice it's a bright orange/almost yellow, I'm finding it's at a nice temp

seriousTone

I'm not sure how but in my opinion it's the biggest drawback to the vape, since it kind of has to be stirred.

Maybe extending two of the prongs down but then you'd maybe have to bring the chamfer on the bowl down as well so the longer prongs aren't sitting too far out and catching on anything, idk though. (unless I'm just using it wrong and you guys are getting even roast with no stirring?)

If the digger was forked it might work more for stirring as well.

mephisto

I have been using a single flame aimed upwards across the outer edge of the cap. As mentioned above, once the flame color gets to yellow, I stop heating and take a draw. This yields one big healthy hit. One more reheat and the whole bowl is dark brown, no stirring needed for me.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I have been using a single flame aimed upwards across the outer edge of the cap. As mentioned above, once the flame color gets to yellow, I stop heating and take a draw. This yields one big healthy hit. One more reheat and the whole bowl is dark brown, no stirring needed for me.
Agreed. Except I have the device cap up with the flame diagonally Dow so some flame goes down the Side of the cap but most goes across the air intake area

rollerskater

also bought one using the code. i got both condensers, but have only used the quad one. i think this is really a good start! im easily getting great hits that are nice and cool, and thats the important part. i really enjoy using it like a hitter and reloading every 2-3 hits.

camouflet seem to like design quotes, so heres one: "god is in the details." there are some details here that i think could be improved upon.

some details i like:
• the stem is nice and weighty, feels great.
• the stem performs so well i stuck my warhead on it lol and its a really legit pairing. i hate using the dynavap on airportless stems but with the quad condenser its more than tolerable. i still wont ever do that again though cuz it ruined my life on the exhale. love the quad condenser.
• i think the way the cap catches on the flared base of the bowl is really great and elegant. i really enjoy using the cap and feeling it secure itself without needing threads or dimples or whatever. the little zip you feel and hear when you take it off is really cute and exciting. a lot of my enjoyment of the vape comes from this part of the design.
• the heater is as far as i know pretty unique in pen style vapes. i like that its celebrating its nature as a hitter rather than pretending 60 seconds of heat is adequate when you want a joint-like experience. i also like that everyones unit is unique due to the nature of its assembly; its just a bit of warm and fuzzies you dont usually get in an all-metal vape.

some details i dont like:
• im not really sure why the bore is different on each end. i think all that does is invite heartache during assembly. i also wanted to see how it would look assembled backward, but im not allowed to unfortunately. maybe there is a reason but it isnt apparent to me.
• the screen tabs in the bowl interfere with debowling and bang up brush bristles. fitting it in backward is "possible", but its a real hassle for me at least so this is something i just have to live with. its not the end of the world but i feel that its a bit of an unforced error.
• it the way the heater is actually put together. i have to say again that the hits are great and the vape works, and i really like the idea. but i think the tabbed discs are not the best for clumsy people like me; i screwed mine up pretty much immediately by pressing on the cap too hard lol. so now it definitely has a good side and a bad side, which is annoying to keep track of. my fault, but maybe it could have been prevented during design.
• it also looks like it will be a bit of a pain for me as an end user to deal with; id like to see a design that makes user intervention either easier or way less necessary. also with the distance to the material when you do a full bowl, im worried about getting it completely clean within the heater. personally, i love it when a vape is easy to deep clean.
• i think the full bowl experience could be improved upon. i dont stir because i hate it. consequently, when i do a full bowl, the bottom is often not vaped enough when the top is donezo and it gums the screen, it gums the debowler, i get resin in the brush, its just kinda gross and decreases the time between cleans. maybe this is a tek problem but a few others have mentioned needing to stir too. id like to see a bowl that encourages even roasting through the whole herb bed.
• the speed lines on the stem look super cheesy imo lol. the machining on those could definitely be improved too; mine has a bunch of corners clipped. not that i really mind in this case bc i dont like the intended harsh kerf, it scwatches my sensitive wittle fingies. i feel like there are probably better designs for grip, but ill admit that mostly i just plain dont like how they look lol.
• the finishing isnt very good either imo. aside from the brushing looking kinda cheap, my stem has a huge visible and feelable seam running down the whole length. aesthetics aside, in my opinion the standout seam and clipped canal corners make it seconds quality. 40% off is a seconds discount so it all comes out in the wash for this particular purchase but it raises the question of how qc will be going forward.

that looks like a lot of negativity and i guess it is, but its mostly aesthetic or areas for improvement imo. performance wise, the vape is good right now. i hit it like 8 times while writing this post lol. im definitely interested in how this vape evolves. the one thing i want to reiterate is to please pay attention to qc.

Last edited:

Choices

Mine has taken up residence in my Dynastash. I’ve tried it with little consistency using my IH but that is because it takes it a little too much into the conduction realm and I’m also afraid the toggle switch might push back on the top of the cap and somehow damage it. Not likely but why go first!
I have been putting a cut into a nugget and filling it pretty much to the top. Seems to be an 8 to 10 second first heat up followed by 5 to 8 seconds with a single flame Honest torch as shown in a earlier photo. One of the best things for me is the ability to heat, inhale, exhale, and within another five seconds you can pull the cap off to inspect and/or stir. It is really can be quite discreet and stealthy within reason. Once I get a proper IH setup figured out I’ll do some data collection in that realm as well. I see great promise for this device!

RxPlorer

Think I'll be passing on this one. Thought maybe it'd replace my anvil jonesing but so far it looks like anvils gonna be the way to go for me. Cheers all.

RxPlorer,

rollerskater

yeah it definitely isnt competing with the anvil. i do think it will end up benching my dynavap.

eta:
fitting [the screen] in backward is "possible", but its a real hassle for me at least so this is something i just have to live with. its not the end of the world but i feel that its a bit of an unforced error.
ok this ended up being a skill issue :rolleyes: i think this part of the vape is a bit fiddly but its sort of expected when in this form factor, so nbd.

Last edited:
rollerskater,
Reactions: cx714

coolbreeze

Mine has taken up residence in my Dynastash.
I was thinking of getting a double futostash, one side for an M and the other for this. Have a well-rounded buzz on the go.

I’ve tried it with little consistency using my IH but that is because it takes it a little too much into the conduction realm ...
Yeah, I noticed this too. It's easier to control the torch to heat only the top.

I have been putting a cut into a nugget and filling it pretty much to the top. Seems to be an 8 to 10 second first heat up followed by 5 to 8 seconds with a single flame Honest torch as shown in a earlier photo. One of the best things for me is the ability to heat, inhale, exhale, and within another five seconds you can pull the cap off to inspect and/or stir. It is really can be quite discreet and stealthy within reason. Once I get a proper IH setup figured out I’ll do some data collection in that realm as well. I see great promise for this device!
Agree.

I haven't used mine on the go yet but with a torch and a WPA, you get very nice hits with some flavor through a small rig. I feel like taking it to orange works well for production but it really is right on the line in terms of flavor. It's fun to use and it's convenient to have sitting around waiting for a quick hit or small sesh. It's a great concept and I think the design works pretty well: heated well it works as a quick-hitting (and cooling), tasty little convectiony pen vape, or in my case, bong vape. I really have only used it a handful of times but I already feel more simpatico with it in terms of heating it better.

tinctorus

Accessory Maker
What I want to know is why did I rush to buy with your damn "early access" sale and NOW YOUR SELLING THEM FOR 100 BUCKS..
Wtf kind of bullshit is that?
You want people to be early adopters so you offer a "discount" then you turn around and drop the regular price to 4 dollars more and oh what did you say? Oh right "YOUR SPECIAL EARLY ADOPTER VIP CUSTOMERS" will always get special treatment, I think I'll pass on that kind of special treatment

If "special treatment" means getting screwed and lied to I'm good, I already have an ex wife

Last edited:
Top Bottom