Camouflet Convector

mephisto

Mine arrived today, only managed to get one oring on the ceramic tube at the end with the cap. Stuffed a small ungrounded nug of some Grape Ape into the cap, held my dual flame torch at a 90 degree angle to the tip and pulled a couple real nice hits. I did not know the specific technique so I have not heated just the tip and hit it yet. This vape is very well finished, light in the hand, and quick to slap with convection heating. Everything I always wanted in a DV except conduction. This looks to be a good fit for my daily stealth one hitter.
I might snag another at the discount so I can stash one in the camp gear.
I will check to see if the cap fits my Phatpiggie stem and my Anvil stem.

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Do you apply heat while inhaling or you preheat and then inhale ?
Heat is applied to the cap first, pre-inhale. You can heat while inhaling but takes more technique & higher learning curve as risk for combustion is increased.

How open is "wide open" because the anvil is also "wide open." I personally view ball vapes as the only "wide open" draw I've experienced that I can't overpower.

Any waterpipe compatibility? 10mm?

Is the heater in the cap?

Does the 4 or 1 hole have more draw resistance?

Butane torch or bic lighter for heat?

Has anyone received one yet? I got a shipping notification already

Please make a video!!!!!

I'm dying to see this thing in action. It looks like the heater is the same concept as the grasshopper heater (remember them?) but torch powered. I'm hoping it'll scratch my thick vapor itch better than my dyna while not taking forever to cool like the anvil. Like I love to chain smoke with my dyna and I'd love to with the anvil but I can't. Maybe this will bridge that gap?
Stand alone stem, the airflow is truly wide open, only the chamber screen is in the air path. The Quad Bore Ceramic Tube has a much higher draw restriction but cools the vapor significantly.

Yes, native 10mm compatibility.

Yes, the heater is in the cap.

Torch lighter is recommend. Bic lighter will cause soot buildup and the flame does not allow for precise heating of the tip of the cap. In dire situations a bic could work.

Welp, the device has landed. About to put it through some testing but wanted to get you happy ents some pics first.

Initial thoughts and observations.

Very nice machining. Don't really see any faults, marks, swirls, etc.
O-rings are SUPER tight to get on and a huge PITA when inserting into the stem. I suspect anyone with dexterity issues may have a hard time getting them on and in the correct place.

Cap is lightweight, magnetic, many tiny holes. Not sure how far down I should push it over the bowl as I hear some friction when I push it down to low.

Screen looks replaceable but didn't see any online. There are three little notches keeping the current one in place.

It would be nice to get some info from @Camouflet regarding best practices when it comes to o-ring spacing and also whether the screen is removable or not.

Going to test this out with my UFO induction heater and report back. So far satisfied with the look and feel. Missing a spare set of o-rings I ordered and waiting to hear back. Otherwise things are looking good!

Glad to hear the first Convector has landed in the wild! It's truly a great feeling seeing this project come together, we're beyond grateful!

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts and observations. We agree, our machining factory partner in China do excellent work and pay great attention to detail.

The ceramic tube o-rings can be challenging to apply onto the tube. Tip for inserting the tube + o-rings into the stem; apply some saliva or dab a drip of water onto the o-rings, place first o-ring on the very edge of the tube, tilt this end with the o-ring on an angle when inserting into the stem. This method has a bit of a learning curve, we will make a demo and share asap.

Yes, the cap is magnetic. The cap only needs to be pushed down lightly to make a solid connection and grip the chamber. Do not use force, it will be easier to remove the cap when hot.

The chamber screen is removable, the heating plates in the cap are friction fit and should not be removed.

Very sick. Is one hit extraction possible? Also, I don't want to get another Angus-esque conversation started over here, but can you give some insight on the grades of the metal and the type of o-rings used? Some people may have sensitivities to different metal in alloys so it'd be good to know just in case.

Thank you, yes, one hit extraction is possible with the right technique = chamber pack + heating location and timing.

Stainless 304, 316 and 430 proprietary variant. Silicone o-rings are Viton FKM. Ultra high purity ceramic and bamboo. If you have any allergy concerns please email us.

Last edited:

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Nice pics and initial thoughts, thanks. I'm surprised how fast it got to you as well.

Ohhhh shit, so this thing fits into existing dynavap stems??? Because the one thing I was thinking was; I do prefer the feel of wood in my mouth than metal cuz with the dynavap I tend to hold it with my teeth a lot of the times.

So that's pretty sick.
Yes, all the Convector components are 8mm stem compatible.

it seemed like the herb closest to the cap was pretty black, at least.
We might've applied too much heat on the last torch cycle, was a bit challenging doing multiple video takes and attempting to focus on everyhting at once without error (forgot to display ABV after the wand session). The lighting in the video is terrible and does not give an accurate depiction of ABV, much lighter than it appears. We displayed the ABV at the end to show that there was actually material in the chamber and no camera tricks. More ABV related content to come.

Last edited:

GoldenBud

We put the video together in haste, we wanted to include subtitle instructions but to save time we left them out for now.
hmmm.. I don't know how to tell you this, or even if i have to tell you this but, this is not a convection device.. the herb is very close to that cap...there's no hot air to cross cold bowl.. the bowl is very hot... it's more like the condvector or so..

DeezVaprz

First bowl, combustion.
Second bowl, combustion.
Third bowl, combustion.
Fourth bowl, BEAUTIFUL.
Fifth bowl, combustion

----nap of frustration----

Sixth bowl, BEAUTIFUL.

I initially kept trying to stuff it tight like I do my Arizer stems, or get heat on the first quick pull like a Dyna (and I was heating the bowl too by mistake) but quickly realized that if you feel heat RIGHT away when you first pull Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru (NANIIII?!?!) your best bet is to stop pulling, dump the bowl and start over.

It's hard to gauge how long to heat the tip for at first. With the UFO heater being rather aggressive and me dipping the whole chamber in and not just the mouthpiece I'm not surprised I combusted. I've changed the glass spacer and adjusted the height and I'm getting better results.

The ceramic tube o-rings can be challenging to apply onto the tube. Tip for inserting the tube + o-rings into the stem; apply some saliva or dab a drip of water onto the o-rings, place first o-ring on the very edge of the tube, tilt this end with the o-ring on an angle when inserting into the stem. This method has a bit of a learning curve, we will make a demo and share asap.

I tried this exact method with a generous amount of moisture and it was still pretty tough. Even after getting them on, keeping them in place while sliding the ceramic tube is a mission. Not impossible, just hard to make sure the center stays aligned and the o-rings don't come out of place.

The chamber screen is removable, the heating plates in the cap are friction fit and should not be removed.

Thank you for confirming about the chamber screen. I would not want to spoil the magic that is the cap so I will keep that end a mystery!

hmmm.. I don't know how to tell you this, or even if i have to tell you this but, this is not a convection device.. the herb is very close to that cap...there's no hot air to cross cold bowl.. the bowl is very hot... it's more like the condvector or so..

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. The open end of the cap is super thin. I'm finding that even after multiple pulls if I am making sure to only heat the tip, the whole device stays relatively cool. The cap itself looses heat rather quickly. It's one of the things I really enjoy about this device. I've held back on purchasing other similar devices because of the length of time they take to cool down. More testing is needed of course, but after a few heat a cooldown cycles with a fresh bowl in the chamber, I'm finding little to no browning of the material. Hopefully as they start landing we can get more feedback in.

Still learning my way around this device but I dig it. Definitely reminds me of pulling on a V3Pro. First second or so of the hit is cool until the thermal energy gets transferred. I think they hit the mark with the convection part of this device. Looking forward to many more bowls and the future endeavors of @Camouflet!

Camouflet

Manufacturer
@DeezVaprz

Don't pack the chamber too tight everyone! Nice and loose, so air can flow freely through the material. Turbulence in the chamber moves the material and boils/melts the active ingredients all at once. Medium/Coarse grind recommended vs fine grind to avoid material bunching and restricting airflow.

Great feedback in your posts, the ceramic tube o-rings can be challenging to apply at first but after doing it a few times it gets much easier, there's definitely a learning curve. We find it helps rotating the tube while inserting o-ring and tube into the stem. Working on the vid for this.

We haven't tried the ufo heater yet. Try heating the Convector right-side up with the ufo upside down. This will give you better heat placement and should improve results in addition to your findings.

-No packing or tamping the chamber/bowl.
-Hold Convector upright, with cap facing up when heating. Applicable to all heating methods including induction devices.

Last edited:

DeezVaprz

Last post before I turn in for the night. Going to give the quad tube a try sometime tomorrow.

Forgot to mention I am using an Herb Ripper XL with a course plate.

Pic below shows three back to back bowls. Top to bottom, First one was heated for 5-6 UFO blinks, pulled through, 5-6 more, another pull, repeated several times. 3-4 flavorful hits with a few smaller ones as the terps were depleted.

Second bowl was heated for 2-3 blinks, pulled, 2-3 blinks, pulled, 2-3 blinks, loooooong smoother pull, then a few shorter dips into the UFO and shorter pulls. Great flavor, about the same amount of hits as about.

Tried to do a one pull full extraction but my lungs said no. Two dense, super flavorful pulls were had after longer dips in the UFO and slower more steady pulls. Very satisfying but harder for me after an evening of vaping.

More testing to be had tomorrow, can't wait to hear what others experience.

Sativapo

What I would like to see is if you can have full extraction (Brown avb not green, dark brown but not black even better) in a reasonable amount of hits without "conducting" or even worst combusting as the heater seems close to the bowl and I don't see how it would accumulate enough heat for that without transferring it by conduction.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Last post before I turn in for the night. Going to give the quad tube a try sometime tomorrow.

Forgot to mention I am using an Herb Ripper XL with a course plate.

Pic below shows three back to back bowls. Top to bottom, First one was heated for 5-6 UFO blinks, pulled through, 5-6 more, another pull, repeated several times. 3-4 flavorful hits with a few smaller ones as the terps were depleted.

Second bowl was heated for 2-3 blinks, pulled, 2-3 blinks, pulled, 2-3 blinks, loooooong smoother pull, then a few shorter dips into the UFO and shorter pulls. Great flavor, about the same amount of hits as about.

Tried to do a one pull full extraction but my lungs said no. Two dense, super flavorful pulls were had after longer dips in the UFO and slower more steady pulls. Very satisfying but harder for me after an evening of vaping.

More testing to be had tomorrow, can't wait to hear what others experience.
You saying it's too powerful for a one hit extraction or too harsh?

Zuhdj,

Choices

Just got one with the single hole ceramic. I’ll see what I can report back after it arrives. Curious to set it up on my Orb V2 and get my torch level just right. @Camouflet i have several induction heaters, namely those @Pipes offers and I’m wondering if the activation switch which sits at the bottom of the IH chamber is an issue as compared to using an Ispire. I know I would need to invert the IH if the device is situated atop my water piece but is this a process that will lead to the more conduction heavy hits and/or will it be difficult to avoid combustion with a switch device that relies on pressure on the device cap after being inserted. If it is an issue, no worries. Just trying to avoid combusting and the dreaded cleaning that follows… Thanks in advance!

seriousTone

What I would like to see is if you can have full extraction (Brown avb not green, dark brown but not black even better) in a reasonable amount of hits without "conducting" or even worst combusting as the heater seems close to the bowl and I don't see how it would accumulate enough heat for that without transferring it by conduction.
Yes, I would like to see a dark coffee brown as well; that's what I'm hoping to achieve with this if it is truly going to replace my dynavap.
I use my dynavap to finish off all my avb from my grasshopper as it doesn't quite get it as dark as I like it.

So if no one else trys it, I sure will next week for you.

DeezVaprz

You saying it's too powerful for a one hit extraction or too harsh?

I'm saying my lungs were at capacity after a long day of work and many vape sessions (with my other devices as well). I'm sure those who regularly hit ball/ heavier vapes will have no problem extracting everything in one hit. My lungs were just tapped out towards the end of the day.

DeezVaprz,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I'm saying my lungs were at capacity after a long day of work and many vape sessions (with my other devices as well). I'm sure those who regularly hit ball/ heavier vapes will have no problem extracting everything in one hit. My lungs were just tapped out towards the end of the day.
Ah. Makes sense.

darkstar72

This vape sounds promising... I like the strong convection bias (curious how much is convection vs conduction), portable and small thermal mass. Seems like a great idea. If I had one I'd make a wine cork adapter to fit it on a 18mm j-hook. Drill a hole in a wine cork and tapper with sand paper to fit. Ghetto but quick work to make.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
The build on this thing is eh. The Machining on the tube is not a polished product. The inner tube has bore marks. The metal is cheap, only way to put it. Then the screens? Cmon mannnn?? The same screen as the mv1, gh, and angus. Lil pos solid metal screen that has micro holes, not talking about the cap where the heat is stored, just the regular screen. Constant clog screens, CCS, is what I call them. So now I'm gonna put it together and test run it. But no way I would pay any more then a dyna M. $50 maybe, $149??? Out your minds, way off the quality of an omni for the same price! The dyna is so much of a polished and clean metal look and feel to it compared to this thing. I assume it'll work, but again the metal is thin so the ih will conduct heat though it unless you use the magic spot on the upside down wand? I might just ih the cap and plug the unit onto the cap. Might be a Lil dangerous seeing the cap is small and light so well see, I'll wear my goggles and report back. The guy the said the market is too crowded now? He's right for this unit. I'll report back with the usage details. I'm keeping and open mind, maybe it'll work, maybe not, but I for sure punched an extra TA screen I had to fit and replace the hot death metal gh screen to get real airflow.

Edit: guess what? For what you charge the unit needs to come fully assembled not this way you send it without instructions. Plus from what it looks like I hope these orings are high temp because the one closest to the cap is gonna get a nice ih cooking every time.

Edit: can't heat the cap alone not enough metal mass for the ih to recognize. That said, the cap gets put on snug like a dyna. It heats exactly like a dyna, no way around it. Conduction, convection mix. The screens in the cap most likely make up the mass of the dyna clicker. Then the tip comes off when you pull the cap off, not ideal. All and all it now hold a shelf spot next to vector. My final comparison:

This=metal dynavap B

Last edited:

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
Ok first impressions are different than what i expected but not necessarily bad. It took bowl to figure out the heating. But heating on the wand is exactly as described. 14 pulses for the first hit. You get a terpy light hit. On the second 9 second heat up youll feel the draw restriction change as the vapor thickens up. When heating w the wand, i did notice that it should only be inserted as deep as it needs to activate. The entire cap need not be heated. Just around the first 1/4 inch or so. Any more and you begin to heat the bud itself and im not sure thats the intended purpose. I should also mention the tip does not hold heat long and will really only generate one draw. so its more a heat then hit then repeat device. The heat up and cool down are very fast. I do think the tip could use a little more mass and maybe taller and a few more rows of disk. Also as others stated the ceramic inserts and o rings need work on the design. The o rings should have a groove to keep them situated and the orings may need to be resized. Overall feel lIke the name is dead on. When used as described you get a very nice convection hit and its pretty tasty. I will say it will take several hits and heats to clear a bowl. As there is very very little conduction. I went in expecting supreme/ anvil and to honest that was a unfair expectation especially w its name. This device wont give you one hit extractions or dense hits. But it does do what it states. I should also mention i didnt want to darken my cap so i havent tested a torch yet. Id imagine a small amaoi torch or similar is plenty. i can see device having a place in the market. I really think the comparisons are taking away from the beauty of this device

Last edited:

Farid

No matter where you heat it, the heat will conduct into the bowl long before the air is hot enough to vaporize the load. I don't see how this could possibly be convection.

Xclerk

The Universe is our endless supply
No matter where you heat it, the heat will conduct into the bowl long before the air is hot enough to vaporize the load. I don't see how this could possibly be convection.
When heated as described. Heating the upper portion of the cap. Not the portion that is around the bowl the portion where the disk are located. I Also the heat up is super fast so if the heat is carrying down your heating too long. ill try to get some videos goin. Maybe even try a torch. I will say of using the wand. Do not insert deeper than it takes to activate. Maybe an insert would help. The photo of the insert @DeezVaprz showed perfectly the amount of the tip that should be heated.
Also i forgot to mention im currently using the single bore insert. I could see the other being a better choice as your draw speed is directly related to cool down. So with a more restricted draw its possible to get a little more extraction per heat up. There's totally a learning curve w this device and trying to heat like another or compare is taking away from the experience. I try to take each device as its own and appreciate the nuances. As a collector all devices have good and bad sides but i appreciate them all as they lead me in the direction of that eventual perfect vapor profile.(one day) or not. Its a VASt world

Last edited:
Top Bottom