Camouflet Convector

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Hello FC Community,

We are Camouflet, a new company working to bring a new generation of devices to market offering industry leading design & technology . Our products are designed and tested in North America by our small team, a group of passionate individuals and hobbyist tinkerers. Camouflet is 100% self funded.

We would like to introduce the Convector to the community. The Convector results from our desire to bring an ultra-compact, convection-based device to the market. Years of testing and development gave us the confidence to produce the Convector in the shadows and now we are ready to share our creation. We appreciate the opportunity to join the FC community and eagerly await your feedback. So to kick off the conversation, here are the details and goals of the device.

The Convector aims to be a small, powerful solution to portable convection vaping. Beyond the delivery of a convection experience, our focus was to integrate high-end ceramics for cooling and flavor, keep thermal mass to a minimum, have easy and forgiving heating profiles, and maintain compatibility with the existing ecosystem.

Camouflet is committed to environmental sustainability and is using best practices for repairability, packaging, and EOL recyclability. You'll find the Convector ships in a bamboo tube instead of plastic and is constructed almost entirely of metal and ceramic.

How Convector works:

The Convector uses a series of ultra-thin plates with hundreds of holes cut into them. These plates are arranged in a randomized stack and spaced apart by less than a millimeter. Using induction (best), torch, or contact with a coil these plates are heated. When you take a draw, air must weave through this intricate matrix of plates and holes rapidly collecting their stored energy. This heated air enters the chamber providing the mechanism to vaporize and extract the plant material constituents.

Because we heat only the end of the convector cap, the device is very versatile and forgiving to how heat is applied. Users can rapidly determine how they like to use it. Longer heat times result in a more powerful experience while shorter applications of heat produce great flavor.

Technical Specs:

Size:
85mm (length) x 11mm diameter
Chamber to Stem Interface: 8mm
Stem Bore: 8mm
Chamber Inner Diameter: 9.2mm
Chamber Depth: 11mm
Chamber Volume: 731 cubic mm
Ceramic Tube: Single Bore or Quad Bore pure ceramic
Ceramic Tube Max Temperature: 1800 C
Ceramic Tube Thermal Conductivity: 37.1 W/m-K
Weight: 20.5g
Balance point: 35mm from mouthpiece
Heating Plates Conductivity: 28.7 W/m-K
Heating Plates Max Temperature: 1100 C
Materials: Stainless Steel, Ceramic, Viton Sealing Rings

Sourcing Information:

Stainless Steel - Machining done in China, material certified
Stainless Steel Heating plates - Produced in USA
Ceramics - Produced in USA
Sealing Rings -Sourced from USA Supplier

With our limited stock, now shipping, we are inviting FC members to participate in our Early Access Program. We will provide Convectors at 40% off regular pricing and free domestic shipping(USA), with equivalent exchange for community feedback in this thread. If upgrades are made in the future, we will provide 20% off those production runs for any participants till the end of 2023. Use discount code, “EarlyAccess”, at checkout to join. Visit us at camouflet.com for more information. Thanks for your support, we look forward to sharing our vision with you.

-Camouflet

DSC00368.jpg
Convector.jpg

Last edited:

GoldenBud

Ceramic Tube Max Temperature: 1800 C
Ceramic Tube Thermal Conductivity: 37.1 W/m-K

Heating Plates Conductivity: 28.7 W/m-K
Heating Plates Max Temperature: 1100 C
Hi,
you provide too much technical data without a video of how this vaporizer works, and it makes me asking myself further questions.... please provide a video, and explain how it works please...

badbee

I share @GoldenBud's reaction, I have no idea how this thing really functions in practice. You will have more success if you first focus on the usage experience. Show us what it will be like to use this device: packing, heating, evaluating when it is at temp, hitting.

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Looks interesting... and Welcome!

How would you say this compares to other products in the space? Dynavap, Thermal Accumulator, Anvil, Dani etc. Also what is the approximate size of the bowl?
The Convector is a similar “one-hitter” style, battery-free device, but it sets itself apart with its unique features:
  • Convection-focused heater with unmatched heating and cool-down times
  • Wide open airflow
  • Ceramic airpath, great for cooling and flavor
Ultimately, we’re going to be partial towards our device, so the comparisons are best left to members of the community to report.

Chamber/Bowl size measurements:

Chamber holds apprx. 0.1 - 0.2g, *Loosely fill the chamber with no tamping to allow convection to work best.

Pictured below is ABV after 3x draws with the wand induction heater, weighing 0.1g post extraction. Cold start, first draw was heated for 14x yellow light blinks in the wand. Second draw was heated for 9x blinks, and third draw was heated for 9x blinks.

IMG_5462.jpg

How does the user know when to stop heating? Could you replace the steel heating plates (or everything steel) with titanium and use a copper or silver jacket to improve performance?
The quad bore seems like it will be difficult to clean !
By design, the Convector is a non-heat-regulated device, heating methods, and duration are up to the user. Our convection design allows for a wide range of heating profiles to be applied with good results. We do plan to introduce some of our own guidance but also would like to see what the community comes up with.
The heating plate material was selected for its efficiency with induction heating. One of our main goals was to keep the cap thermal mass to a minimum, allowing for lightning-fast heat-up times. There is the potential to use Titanium in parts of the device, we hope to do so in the future!

Adding additional mass to the cap would alter the heating profile, straying away from convection delivery. We have future cap designs in the works that may encompass a larger mass for more thermal retention and a different delivery profile.

We find all the convector components are easily cleaned with an ISO soak, followed by a hot water bath.

Hi,
you provide too much technical data without a video of how this vaporizer works, and it makes me asking myself further questions.... please provide a video, and explain how it works please...
I share @GoldenBud's reaction, I have no idea how this thing really functions in practice. You will have more success if you first focus on the usage experience. Show us what it will be like to use this device: packing, heating, evaluating when it is at temp, hitting.
Yes, we agree, we need to get some usage content into the wild! We will have some of our own content posted soon and hopefully, some early adopters will provide 3rd party content for us all to enjoy. Thanks for the encouragement and guidance on what you want to see from us.

staircase slight of hand

We do plan to introduce some of our own guidance but also would like to see what the community comes up with.

Y’all are the experts for the foreseeable future, since you’re the only ones that have actually used them. Show/tell us the technique that really makes this unit shine, like what you’d suggest to a potential investor that you shipped a demo unit to.

I feel like I’m not alone here in not fully understanding how this works from a thermodynamics perspective. Seems sort of like a Sticky Brick with a Dynavap form factor, with some Lotus-style hot-plates thrown in for good measure? But that doesn’t really add up to a coherent vape in my mind, so I welcome correction.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
The problem with the ISO soak is that it may not be possible on the go, whereas you can do a basic unblocking clean of the Dynavap stem with a pipe cleaner or similar. Anyway since it looks like the quad bore stem is optional, it's not a big deal! I personally think it will not be a popular option. A tube with removable ceramic/ borosilicate beads perhaps ?

You do have a hard sell with some serious competition here, I'm afraid! I can only see this being OK with a portable induction heater since there is no click... it is easy to time things when testing with a jet lighter but portables are often used in social situations where people are talking and (stoned) distracted and may not be paying attention to the timing- that's why the click is so good.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Y’all are the experts for the foreseeable future, since you’re the only ones that have actually used them. Show/tell us the technique that really makes this unit shine, like what you’d suggest to a potential investor that you shipped a demo unit to.

I feel like I’m not alone here in not fully understanding how this works from a thermodynamics perspective. Seems sort of like a Sticky Brick with a Dynavap form factor, with some Lotus-style hot-plates thrown in for good measure? But that doesn’t really add up to a coherent vape in my mind, so I welcome correction.

The design actually sounds more like the thermal accumulator to me, except the heater matrix is comprised of metal discs with holes, so those get heated up by torch or induction heater, air flows through them as you inhale through the herb, all encased in ceramic I suppose then encased in steel?? That's what it seems like to me... Welcome to FC @Camouflet Good luck with the launch

GoldenBud

yeah @Camouflet your chances to create a small vaporizer device that will actually sell are not high anyway, telling you the truth, so without guidance and videos your chances are actually 0. Saying that to help you, not to rattle you.

the market is already too crowded, it's 2023 not 2013.....

SpacelyJetson

The Convector is a similar “one-hitter” style, battery-free device, but it sets itself apart with its unique features:
  • Convection-focused heater with unmatched heating and cool-down times
  • Wide open airflow
  • Ceramic airpath, great for cooling and flavor
Ultimately, we’re going to be partial towards our device, so the comparisons are best left to members of the community to report.

Chamber/Bowl size measurements:

Chamber holds apprx. 0.1 - 0.2g, *Loosely fill the chamber with no tamping to allow convection to work best.

Pictured below is ABV after 3x draws with the wand induction heater, weighing 0.1g post extraction. Cold start, first draw was heated for 14x yellow light blinks in the wand. Second draw was heated for 9x blinks, and third draw was heated for 9x blinks.

IMG_5462.jpg

By design, the Convector is a non-heat-regulated device, heating methods, and duration are up to the user. Our convection design allows for a wide range of heating profiles to be applied with good results. We do plan to introduce some of our own guidance but also would like to see what the community comes up with.
The heating plate material was selected for its efficiency with induction heating. One of our main goals was to keep the cap thermal mass to a minimum, allowing for lightning-fast heat-up times. There is the potential to use Titanium in parts of the device, we hope to do so in the future!

Adding additional mass to the cap would alter the heating profile, straying away from convection delivery. We have future cap designs in the works that may encompass a larger mass for more thermal retention and a different delivery profile.

We find all the convector components are easily cleaned with an ISO soak, followed by a hot water bath.

Yes, we agree, we need to get some usage content into the wild! We will have some of our own content posted soon and hopefully, some early adopters will provide 3rd party content for us all to enjoy. Thanks for the encouragement and guidance on what you want to see from us.
14x blinks with the wand set to what temperature? If you use a torch does it require rotating the device? Also does it click when it's up to temp?

Last edited:
SpacelyJetson,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
yeah @Camouflet your chances to create a small vaporizer device that will actually sell are not high anyway, telling you the truth, so without guidance and videos your chances are actually 0. Saying that to help you, not to rattle you.

the market is already too crowded, it's 2023 not 2013.....
I think if they did it like the Supreme, like it sounds, portable, with the ceramic to cool, then the hit and flavor will beat the dynavap imho

Modnote: Reply removed from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: Xclerk

Camouflet

Manufacturer
Thanks for the great feedback so far. We are hearing that videos of use and detailed heating instructions should be a priority. They will come. We do think adopters will find that unlike many of the primarily conduction-based devices, the Convector is forgiving with the heating profile and very easy to get great results with.

seriousTone

From the website:

How to use:

Loosely place your material of choice into the Convector chamber(do not pack the chamber too tight, the Convector needs airflow to extract properly), attach the Convector cap onto the chamber. Heat the tip of the cap for your desired length and then inhale from the stem opening.

Convector can be heated with any heat source, for optimal performance we recommend using the Convector paired with an Induction Heater.

Sounds simple enough but I may be wrong; as opposed to dynavap, you heat the tip up for a few seconds, then inhale and the hot air is pulled through the herb.
So there's just no training wheels, through trial you learn how many seconds it takes to get to about which temperature you're going for - pair that with how each hit tastes, which if anyone has been using a dynavap for a while that should be easy to know, and it's easy enough to get consistent results.

Sounds like a fun device after thinking about it. Nice job picking it up! @mephisto can't wait to hear your thoughts - maybe this is finally the reason to finally try and sell some things myself and pick it up in the meantime.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
If the tip is engineered like the Supreme, bunch of metal fins, figure maybe 3 or 4 cause 1 mm apart, if they have airholes, but each disk has them offset to the others you could accomplish this heating affect. That would explain quick heat up, turbulent airflow, and full extraction capable. Get the cap matrix of metal pretty hot pretty quick. Then the cold ceramic innards. I ordered one with both tubes 107 shipped. What the heck let's check it out!:tup:

badbee

The temp setting on the Wand is only a guide, it actually works on a timing algorithm so counting blinks is probably better here than worrying about the Wand temp here.
@SpacelyJetson , those temp numbers on the Wand are probably their biggest (only?) design mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love my Wand, and would replace it immediately if it got lost. They should have just used a scale of 1 to 10 (or something) instead of temperature values to avoid confusion. It doesn't have a temperature sensor or power throttling, it's just on full until the timer tells it might be near the right temp and it's time to shut off. Luckily those who use it as an IH for vapcaps don't care...

badbee,
Reactions: budski

Camouflet

Manufacturer
The temp setting on the Wand is only a guide, it actually works on a timing algorithm so counting blinks is probably better here than worrying about the Wand temp here.

@SpacelyJetson , those temp numbers on the Wand are probably their biggest (only?) design mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love my Wand, and would replace it immediately if it got lost. They should have just used a scale of 1 to 10 (or something) instead of temperature values to avoid confusion. It doesn't have a temperature sensor or power throttling, it's just on full until the timer tells it might be near the right temp and it's time to shut off. Luckily those who use it as an IH for vapcaps don't care...

This is basically our understanding of the Wand. While using "blinks" gives a repeatable experience, the temp setting does not have an effect unless it limits the number of blinks.

For anyone who had placed an order yesterday, it should be on the way to you as of this AM. Thanks!

Top Bottom