Brilliant Cut Grinder

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Are you saying there is no point in going back and forth any more about it? I'm certainly no expert, but it seems there are valid arguments for aluminum vs. stainless steel. Or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.
I don’t want to speak for someone else, but I think he is just saying that without peer reviewed evidence as to whether or not Al might cause some harm it’s not fruitful for us to have that conversation any longer. It’s a personal decision. For my part I am fortunate to have the money (and inclined to agree with @checkyourlibido that your health isn’t the place to pinch pennies anyway) to do stainless at some point, but I also don’t see any wear on my Al bcg so I’m not too concerned. I think the main risk is letting it slam closed to where eventually the center post chips, as numerous photos have demonstrated.

Edit: @Grass Yes I wasn’t meaning to specifically ask you when I quoted your post and mentioned the dye. I also am not implying that it leeches or is a health risk, but I am curious. I don’t think anodized aluminum necessarily has the kinds of colors bcg produces from quickly googling (see e.g. https://www.tfgusa.com/how-to-anodize-aluminum/), so I was just curious how they do it. In the past folks who seem to know quite a bit more about working with metals have posted about these topics on fc, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the process would comment.

I’ve had nothing with great experience with bcg so I don’t think they’re up to no good, but asking them if their products are safe seems about as productive as asking c. 1960s Phillip Morris if smoking is good for you.

Last edited:

CaptBongRipper

Life goes on, man...
I don’t want to speak for someone else, but I think he is just saying that without peer reviewed evidence as to whether or not Al might cause some harm it’s not fruitful for us to have that conversation any longer. It’s a personal decision. For my part I am fortunate to have the money (and inclined to agree with @checkyourlibido that your health isn’t the place to pinch pennies anyway) to do stainless at some point, but I also don’t see any wear on my Al bcg so I’m not too concerned. I think the main risk is letting it slam closed to where eventually the center post chips, as numerous photos have demonstrated.

Edit: @Grass Yes I wasn’t meaning to specifically ask you when I quoted your post and mentioned the dye. I also am not implying that it leeches or is a health risk, but I am curious. I don’t think anodized aluminum necessarily has the kinds of colors bcg produces from quickly googling (see e.g. https://www.tfgusa.com/how-to-anodize-aluminum/), so I was just curious how they do it. In the past folks who seem to know quite a bit more about working with metals have posted about these topics on fc, I was hoping someone with more knowledge of the process would comment.

I’ve had nothing with great experience with bcg so I don’t think they’re up to no good, but asking them if their products are safe seems about as productive as asking c. 1960s Phillip Morris if smoking is good for you.
That all makes perfect sense, thanks. My intent was not to add to any controversy. I can't wait to finally get my hands on one and put it to use.

CaptBongRipper,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I don’t want to speak for someone else, but I think he is just saying that without peer reviewed evidence as to whether or not Al might cause some harm it’s not fruitful for us to have that conversation any longer. It’s a personal decision.
The only issue I have with this is that the evidence of harm from aluminum and stainless steel is the same: none.

So if you are looking at the two to reduce health issues which do you choose?

CaptBongRipper

Life goes on, man...
The only issue I have with this is that the evidence of harm from aluminum and stainless steel is the same: none.

Neither... Back to using my fingers I suppose...
Guardians Of The Galaxy Wink GIF

gordontreeman

I don’t know if aluminum is 0 evidence. It became a public health “discussion” is the word I’ll use because of studies linking it with Alzheimer’s (and I think breast cancer too? But that was to do with Al salts in antiperspirant, so I guess don’t sleep with your Al grinder in your pits?). Both were very limited studies to my knowledge.

If you have made the decision that you are cool with aluminum until you have seen evidence that it is unsafe that is your prerogative. Some people made the more conservative decision to avoid it until they see evidence that it’s safe. I can understand why they might do that even if I haven’t necessarily made the same choice 🤷‍♂️.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I don’t know if aluminum is 0 evidence. It became a public health “discussion” is the word I’ll use because of studies linking it with Alzheimer’s (and I think breast cancer too? But that was to do with Al salts in antiperspirant, so I guess don’t sleep with your Al grinder in your pits?). Both were very limited studies to my knowledge.

If you have made the decision that you are cool with aluminum until you have seen evidence that it is unsafe that is your prerogative. Some people made the more conservative decision to avoid it until they see evidence that it’s safe. I can understand why they might do that even if I haven’t necessarily made the same choice 🤷‍♂️.
The Alzheimer's relationship comes from a single study in rabbits from the 50s that showed massive doses of aluminum injected caused a similar looking issue in the brain. This kicked off a wave of speculation about a potential link. There have since been many large and small studies that have failed to find any link between Alzheimer's and aluminum.

It's frustrating because I don't understand why people choose to hang on to widely discredited beliefs. Is it a distrust of science? Or some kind of worry about media and authority? I don't know. Sadly it has an larger impact than what grinder an individual buys, as we see with the rising rates of diseases that were nearly eradicated 40 years ago.

GoldenBud

I also think like you, the stainless steel grinder is more like a life-style other than solving an health issue of Aluminum (not Aluminum salts like in the deodorants, aluminum solid is not a salt of any kind)

checkyourlibido

Hey, you missed my point. I like my grinders stainless and my hats made of aluminum tinfoil.

Seriously though, I don’t usually have strong opinions until something is peer reviewed. It does tend to derail the post when it’s all just theoretical.

I’m just grateful for another stainless option. I hope it’s the best one and that it sells in large numbers. I imagine this has the possibility of being one of the best buy it for life purchases. I would love to pass this down one day.

gordontreeman

It's frustrating because I don't understand why people choose to hang on to widely discredited beliefs. Is it a distrust of science? Or some kind of worry about media and authority? I don't know. Sadly it has an larger impact than what grinder an individual buys, as we see with the rising rates of diseases that were nearly eradicated 40 years ago.
I am absolutely in agreement with you. The only thing I will say is that while I am firmly on team science, I can understand why some communities don't think science or the government has it all figured out. Its way before my time, but for a while weren't doctors saying "No bro cigarettes make you fitter if anything" due to the correlation with weight loss, especially for women? And at least in the US (where there is plenty of anti-science sentient) we have the Tuskegee experiments to talk more directly as to why some communities might even have legitimate reasons to not take even our claims of "science" at face value. Like anything it can be abused, but this is getting way above my paygrade.

At the end of the day I think we are all just looking for harm reduction. For whatever reason we consume cannabis and want to do so as safely as possible. That is the angle I am playing at with my own interest in the stainless steel, but everyone else should make the decision that best fits their wants and needs.

Anyway on the matter at hand, some of you pointing out that polished might stay clean longer raise an excellent point and have piqued my curiosity in that discussion.

farmerpalmersnt

@gordontreeman Talking of team science...might be of interest:

You might need a lancet account for that one.

They all link to multiple other studies. Varying quality and statistical rigour but enough to form a working view on whether you want aluminium dust in your vape.

ETA the impact on neurotransmitters, proteins and protein precursors in the brain of aluminium dust is indeed pretty well described in a range of literature from about 20 years ago. Whether there would ever be enough exposure from an aluminium grinder to have any measurable impact seems highly unlikely. Reason enough to avoid it though all other things being equal and if you have the choice. To say evidence doesn't exist is wrong.

I'll be the first to say, I have a number of aluminium grinders including SCS and an SLX. I use them in preference to the only SS one I have, a steely dan. Simply because they grind better. So make your own risk assessment. I will say though, now that there's a better grind option in SS I may well get one on pre order. Didn't know BCG were planning on it until I checked this thread. Partly risk but if I'm honest mostly because SS just feels nicer 😂

Last edited:

cptofnthng

Hey Guys. My BCGs magnet pin, that connects the lower part with the teeth has become loose a couple of times before, so i had to put it back in its pocket every other day. Now i accidentally flipped sides while putting it back and now it doesnt stay together anymore, because of idk polarity?. Do you have any idea how to get it out once more? Otherwise this might be the only way to fuck your BCG

cptofnthng

Jeah its the only solution i have too. But i dont have a strong enough magnet and no idea where to get a cheap one..because how much money is it worth to rescue the bowl? I Imagine its the cheapest part of a BCG.
I wrote them btw but i havent heard back.

cptofnthng,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

SquirrelMaster

Hey Guys. My BCGs magnet pin, that connects the lower part with the teeth has become loose a couple of times before, so i had to put it back in its pocket every other day. Now i accidentally flipped sides while putting it back and now it doesnt stay together anymore, because of idk polarity?. Do you have any idea how to get it out once more? Otherwise this might be the only way to fuck your BCG
I'd contact GFL and see if they'll help you out.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see

Curiously, this seems to be of concern to mostly US/Canadian ents. Most British stoners seem quite nonplussed about the steel/aluminium discussions. In my experience, obv. I'm sure there are exceptions

Top Bottom