Brilliant Cut Grinder

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
@stonewatcher essentially nailed my first impressions as well—my factory second arrived today as well. It really does look and feel premium and very well made. I noticed some swirls in the bottom chamber and a barely visible scratch on the top of mine if I’m really looking in the right light. I assume it’s normal but there’s a tiny bit of lateral play between the top and the main chamber.

I’m pretty impressed with it so far. I have some buds I’ve been keeping in a jar with a 62% boveda. I sort of wrote that off as too moist for me given my space case’s performance and dirtiness. Spinning the lid felt fine to me—I wouldn’t say the claims of no resistance whatsoever are true, but it’s easy to spin without really cranking your wrist (maybe someone with arthritis could provide more perspective in that regard, I’m easy to please and it felt smooth and like I didn’t need to exert an undue amount of force). It produced a very even, fluffy, and consistent grind. The fine plate is noticeably finer than my space case, so I guess that helps the consistency some but it’s really a big difference at first look. I’ll have to dump the results on index cards and take some photos. If you imagine a bell curve distribution of grind sizes the bcg seems to have a much smaller and taller curve around the middle. The non stick anodizing is also extremely impressive at first glance. Tiny particles stuck in the upper chamber here and there, but a dramatic dramatic difference from using a bamboo skewer to scrape my space case and push herb through the screen.

Extremely happy with it so far. It’s an excellent grinder at the $60 shipped I paid. I kind of regret not getting a medium to do a more fair comparison to the space case and see how consistent it performs there, but I bet it would still be night and day.

gordontreeman

Yeah I was looking through some of the first posts in this thread and saw that centering the top and center plate via magnet as opposed to friction was a design choice to eliminate wear—pretty neat.

The only other niggle I noticed during my 420 celebrations was that my metal scoop might not be the best tool for loading directly from a grinder anymore due to the magnet! It still works, I just need to use two hands instead of scooping with one and holding my stem in the other so I’m not carrying the bottom compartment from my trww tool 🤣

Really have to say as someone who is somewhat of an iconoclast and skeptic (I think it’s normal honeymoon stuff but fc and Reddit tend to reaaaaaaallly overhype new products) that the bcg really lives up to its reputation. I guess occasionally I’ve seen photos of grinders with anodization worn off. That’s one that I’ll have to wait and see on, but otherwise I’m so impressed with this grinder! The onyx and hematite both look fantastic, as well!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
The only other niggle I noticed during my 420 celebrations was that my metal scoop might not be the best tool for loading directly from a grinder anymore due to the magnet! It still works, I just need to use two hands instead of scooping with one and holding my stem in the other so I’m not carrying the bottom compartment from my trww tool

Haha yeah now you need to get a new Rogue scoop, he has two different shape metal xl scoop now that are not magnetic! Not to mention his 3D printed scoop (can also get a different style one from Delta 3D studios) these are the only scoops I use since I am always using a BCG! I have many options that I may have posted a photo of here previously... Would again right now if I could

Yeah for me I just started seeing them in photos, and I was like fancy gemstone grinder probably very exclusive have to beta, wait a long time, etc. expensive not worth it, fast forward to jumping in later and now years later me having six of them :rofl:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah for me I just started seeing them in photos, and I was like fancy gemstone grinder probably very exclusive have to beta, wait a long time, etc. expensive not worth it, fast forward to jumping in later and now years later me having six of them :rofl:
Yeah, that and then dragging all us poor folk wit ya... :rolleyes:

I cannot deny it is the best grinder I have used, even if a little pricey. Sometimes you get what you pay for...

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Yeah, that and then dragging all us poor folk wit ya... :rolleyes:
I have an OGB from Rogue in both my BCGs and my FM. And I also have other scoops from him. The new ones are nice because the tamp is magnetic but the scoop end is not. So you can set it on the magnet to keep it from rolling away.

Also the non-magnetic "pax" scoop from cannabis hardware is an absolute champ. Just about the perfect size and shape. It just doesn't sit in the grinder so I use it less often.

gordontreeman

I cannot deny it is the best grinder I have used, even if a little pricey. Sometimes you get what you pay for...
💯

I think it’s actually in line with premium grinder costs these days. The small space case I have is $100 now—I think it was $40 or something back in like 2005 or 6 or whenever I bought it. It’s absolutely not worth that price when I compare the performance and fit and finish at all. Not even the same league. Thrilled with my holiday pick up!

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Also the non-magnetic "pax" scoop from cannabis hardware is an absolute champ. Just about the perfect size and shape. It just doesn't sit in the grinder so I use it less often.
I tend to dump out my ground herb and put it in a Chico, so I really don't need a scoop much. The one issue I have with the BCG is the walls are so high on the bottom chamber that I need to almost turn it upside down to dump it, and I don't always have room for that. That is a trade off for the large chamber for grinding larger amounts.
I think it’s actually in line with premium grinder costs these days. The small space case I have is $100 now—I think it was $40 or something back in like 2005 or 6 or whenever I bought it. It’s absolutely not worth that price when I compare the performance and fit and finish at all. Not even the same league. Thrilled with my holiday pick up!
I think I paid about $50 for the large SLX I have been using, and while I like it a lot, it really can't compete with the BCG in the ease of turning department, and that has become more critical as I get older and develop wrist pain. At $75 for a second one can't really tell is a second I have no complaints.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I tend to dump out my ground herb and put it in a Chico, so I really don't need a scoop much.
Whoops, I think I quoted the wrong post above, but got you in the crossfire. :-) Either way, I typically grind on-demand, but I know a lot of folks like to grind for the whole day all at once. Just out of curiosity, how do you load from the Chico without a scoop? Just dump it into your bowl directly with a funnel?

Grass Yes,
Reactions: cybrguy

fangorn

Whoops, I think I quoted the wrong post above, but got you in the crossfire. :-) Either way, I typically grind on-demand, but I know a lot of folks like to grind for the whole day all at once. Just out of curiosity, how do you load from the Chico without a scoop? Just dump it into your bowl directly with a funnel?
personally, I bought a small leather plate, "la mixette"... I don't really know for what purpose... not this one anyway... but I found myself spilling the contents of my grind in it, then pour it into my jyarz...
Super efficient!!

(French product, also marketed on eBay and Etsy...)

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
I suck load almost exclusively. All my vapes use stems of one type or another, including my VCs, TM, Splinters, etc., and I find suck loading to be the most efficient method.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

Since I “straw suck”, my DV’s, I don’t like scrapping my BCG with the sharp DV tip. I grind, then use funnel linked below, to fill CHICOS! The herb stays FRESHER, as the BCG is not sealed as well.

3l3tric

Figured I'd chime in now that I've got my factory second in-hand.

Best I can tell, this one got labeled a second due to a slightly weird milling pattern inside the herb chamber. I can't see any visual deformity on the outside whatsoever. Definitely exactly what I was hoping for out of a second, as I highly doubt the circular whirl pattern I see on the bottom of that tray is gonna make any difference to the performance at all.

I'll be back in a couple days once I've got a few grinds through this thing, but man I'm excited. The holes look like exactly what I'm looking for for fineness.

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
The herb stays FRESHER, as the BCG is not sealed as well.

I think it actually seals well; when I clean my BCG (which is rare, but still happens) I simply fill it with iso and let it rest for 20 or 30 minutes. I can even roll it around without it loosing any fluid and when I open it to rinse, none of the iso seemed to have evaporated (and iso evaporates rapidly when it can).

@Bad Dog – whoa, awesome tool!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
My regular size grinder arrived today. It's a factory second also, and like others, I can barely notice anything wrong with it at all. It is very well made and has some heft to it. Much better quality than any other grinder I've owned, including my Space Case. Turns like butter and I love no threads.

I didn't know if I was going to like the color combo, but the emerald/ruby/emerald pattern is lovely.

Very happy with this purchase. These days it is hard to find value for your money, but with the 420 sale on top of the factory second price, I believe I got more than I paid for.

Last edited:

3l3tric

with the 420 sale on top of the factory second price, I believe I got more than I paid for.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly as well.

Before mine came in, I kept wondering just how big of a difference there could really be between my ol' faithful $25 amazon grinder and this guy. My main issue with my old grinder was just the grind consistency (intended for combustion, too coarse for vapes), and at the time I didn't think I had much of an issue with its actual usability.

Throughout my first couple of days with the BCG, I keep noticing some new little design choice every grind that makes using this thing so much more of a joy than a standard grinder. With my old grinder, having some herb get stuck in the sides was just an inevitability, especially when inverting for the fine grind I wanted. The BCG's grind chamber is deliberately designed to avoid this, with both teeth and holes on the absolute rim of the grind plate in a pretty ingenious setup that makes sure nothing stays behind in the grind chamber. The center "drill tip" is also a way bigger feature than I anticipated, and really does let you break the most sacred grinding rule of never putting a nug right over the middle. Where other grinders make you prebreak a nug and spread it around the center (and the BCG will have a slightly easier time with pre-broken nugs), this grinder doesn't flinch at all when you just yank a hunk off a large stem and pop it right in the center.

I really didn't expect myself to like the magnetic quick-release tray as much as I do, but man, these really show just how much of a pain screw threads are. About the only disadvantage is having to make sure you don't jerk the two halves apart in a way that shakes the tray and spills out your herbs, but I feel like you'd kinda have to try to mess up opening it so badly that you spill any contents.

The consistency of the Fine plate is absolutely perfect for the vapes I own, with a fluffy but still well-processed consistency. With 2-pieces and inverting grinders, I tend to get a more or less powdery consistency. While that's still better for vaping than a coarse grind, you can easily run into the "espresso effect" where the airflow "channels" through the load. Here though, even without any inverting, the pieces are small enough to avoid any of the slow heating issues coarser grinds tend to have in vapes.

This is just generally an exceptional grinder for vapes. I really think the overall improvements in usability entirely justify the added cost over more traditional grinders available elsewhere. With my cheaper grinder, I loathed the grinding process, since I often had to sit there for a couple minutes with the thing inverted, cleaning it was a pain, and the screw threads were regularly a slight hassle to get together. The BCG really minimizes the whole process to Insert Hemp -> Twist Til No Resistance -> Pop Open, and I've noticed that I now have a tendency to grind a lot less at a time just so that I get to use it more often :)

It really Just Works™

OnO

personally, I bought a small leather plate, "la mixette"... I don't really know for what purpose... not this one anyway... but I found myself spilling the contents of my grind in it, then pour it into my jyarz...
Super efficient!!

Thanks I just brought one.

OnO,
Reactions: fangorn

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Super efficient!!

Actually that looks like a decent method. Do you find that the herb clings at all to the leather with static electricity? What is the diameter of the dish?

added: I see now there are different sizes. Does the "dust" version have a different surface or is it just decoration?

cybrguy,
Reactions: Siebter

kilo

I've had mine for two years and have primarily used the medium grind plate. I have lately started experimenting with the coarse grind plate and when I decided to clean the whole unit, that's the plate that got cleaned. After a short iso soak I rinsed the pieces off in hot water and was going to set them on the counter to air dry but I was curious to know if the difference were noticeable. But what I noticed instead was that the middle magnet from the grind plate had been pulled from it's socket and was now stuck to the bottom magnet.

Anyone else had a loose magnet issue? Is it a press fit or do I need an adhesive? And if I need an adhesive, what type would be best?

Top Bottom