BAKx - bake all kinds

Madtater

It may very well be. It does look to me like the wood is laminated, so, okay, with the acrylic as the top layer?
I am definitely not well versed in how his stuff is made, I was mostly just addressing the comments about plywood.
I was only addressing the comment above me as to the expense of the substance.

I have zero idea how the BAK is made or the materials used…let alone how the BAK would be quality wise.

I am not even really sure if in fact it is plywood, would it even matter..

It does look cool though, and i would not be opposed to grabbing one to try.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Where did @Razhumikin talk about plywood?

I also think it is not really like commercial plywood, so I tried to explain that.
I've already asked him to clarify his comment, so let's see what he has to say?
"Pricing
acrylic pouring CHF 185.-
solid woods start at CHF 200.- (summer)"
Its made the exact same way the acrylic tp80s are made. That comment came from a pissed off redditor with no knowledge of the device but a big chip on their shoulder, not exactly highly credible.

Arawfish,

Razhumikin

I was only addressing the comment above me as to the expense of the substance.

I have zero idea how the BAK is made or the materials used…let alone how the BAK would be quality wise.

I am not even really sure if in fact it is plywood, would it even matter..

It does look cool though, and i would not be opposed to grabbing one to try.
I never said its not plywood, it does appear to be separate panes of wood that are adhered together, so I guess that would be technically plywood, but its not the cheap kind of stuff you would traditionally attribute to plywood, it seems like it was created by hand from a couple of different regular wood boards. I dont really knwo enough about woodworking to say one way or another. My point was more that it was called "plywood" to disparage it and make it seem as if it was built cheaply, but its the same exact building process as the TP80 and nobody accuses those of being cheap. It was an unfounded and underhanded comment designed to disparage the product. If you have a problem with this form of construction, then you have a problem with how every TP80 is made too.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
I never said its not plywood, it does appear to be separate panes of wood that are adhered together, so I guess that would be technically plywood, but its not the cheap kind of stuff you would traditionally attribute to plywood, it seems like it was created by hand from a couple of different regular wood boards. I dont really knwo enough about woodworking to say one way or another. My point was more that it was called "plywood" to disparage it and make it seem as if it was built cheaply, but its the same exact building process as the TP80 and nobody accuses those of being cheap. It was an unfounded and underhanded comment designed to disparage the product. If you have a problem with this form of construction, then you have a problem with how every TP80 is made too.
Thank you for the clarification.

Arawfish,
Reactions: vapviking

Madtater

I think you meant to respond to someone else.

I dont know what a tp80 even is, nor do i have any problem with whatever it is or how it is constructed.

Madtater,

Razhumikin

I think you meant to respond to someone else.

I dont know what a tp80 even is, nor do i have any problem with whatever it is or how it is constructed.
yea apologies, just meant to add clarification to this, definitely not coming after you in any way. TP80 is the most famous vape, high demand built by Lamart.

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
did people really believe the BAKx is made out of plywood?!
Looking at these pictures I can see why someone without knowledge in wood working would think this is plywood, I think lamart should just clear the air here and explain the process used, would probably be easier than all this guessing lol. :science:
img.png
aaa.png

GoldenBud

Looking at these pictures I can see why someone without knowledge in wood working would think this is plywood, I think lamart should just clear the air here and explain the process used, would probably be easier than all this guessing lol. :science:
img.png
aaa.png
yeah maybe
but
the important part is, it's not a part of the airpath... the hot steam is not passing through it
and it's not tied in to the heater
and the air inside is also some kind of insulator ...

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
yeah maybe
but
the important part is, it's not a part of the airpath... the hot steam is not passing through it
and it's not tied in to the heater
and the air inside is also some kind of insulator ...
I don't care what it is made of, I was simply providing an explanation to your question.

Vapetothegrave,
Reactions: GoldenBud

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
you're right, thanks and sorry. edited my message, dunno if he will answer here about it, but I think the temp is much lower in the wood, than heater's temp anyway....
Agreed, ultimately it doesn't matter as long as its not interfacing with the heater or acting as major heat insulation. It will just be up to people who buy it if they want it.

RxPlorer

Not Nice. Warning point issued.
Its made the exact same way the acrylic tp80s are made. That comment came from a pissed off redditor with no knowledge of the device but a big chip on their shoulder, not exactly highly credible.
not a redditor anymore, not pissed off, just an out of control analytical mind with questions ;)

sorry that's such a thorn in your pudding, Cupcake. :tup::tup:

Bak looks awesome to me, as an interested hash consumer.

GoldenBud

anyway there's an air between the heater and the wood, so until the heat comes near any kind of glue between the plywood plates, there are 2 insulators which are the wooden plate and the air.. far away from any dangerous temp... (**I think)

RxPlorer

My point was more that it was called "plywood" to disparage it
Lol dude, a little touchy, eh? Does calling it Plywood mean that a boat don't float? Or that plane done gone Crashy Crashy? You're off your bubble.

"thin layers or "plies" of wood veneer that are glued together with adjacent layers having their wood grain rotated up to 90 degrees to one another." - Wiki the Pedia

coolbreeze

For what it's worth, I have plywood Piros that are under the torch several times a week; they look like new. Of course those are made to shed heat and there is an airgap between the wood and hot glass, but I'd be surprised if the decade+ of using these woods for the other portables show more damage than I'm seeing.

AWistfulNihilist

Lol dude, a little touchy, eh? Does calling it Plywood mean that a boat don't float? Or that plane done gone Crashy Crashy? You're off your bubble.

"thin layers or "plies" of wood veneer that are glued together with adjacent layers having their wood grain rotated up to 90 degrees to one another." - Wiki the Pedia

This is the sort of passive aggressive back and forth I feel more comfortable with!

The acrylic panels are tri layer. Plywood is descriptive of a process, but also has a cheap connotation to it, people pearl clutching about it. "SIR, PLYWOOD, THE AUDACITY!".

There is plywood you buy at home Depot, there are higher levels of plywood that you get at specialty suppliers (price skyrockets with higher quality ply), then there's something like this which is a solid wood panel between two thin layers in order to support the acrylic outer and provide stability and insulation. You can describe it as plywood because plywood just means wood glued together. But it's totally separate from big box store plywood made in China from sketchy materials.

If you are worried about the glue, these are hand made parts, should be able to get clarification on the type of glue used (probably a high quality pva like they use in cutting boards or other food safe purposes.). If you're worried about it looking bad on the ends, I get you! And solid wood options would be good, but if glue was your issue
to begin with, the entire unit was stitched together with adhesive, so even solid wood paneling might not do it.

coolbreeze

I didn't mean to cause such an issue about asking if the wooden version of the BAK was made of plywood. I'm just trying to determine if I want to buy one or not. There must be something to the quality of wood because there seems to be a higher price for it over the acrylic.
My understanding is that the wooden ones are using a fine wood laminate for the outer side (at least), whereas the acrylic saves that cost.

Edit: my cocbolo and beech ones look like solid wood panels; the birch is def a plywood.

Last edited:

AWistfulNihilist

I didn't mean to cause such an issue about asking if the wooden version of the BAK was made of plywood. I'm just trying to determine if I want to buy one or not. There must be something to the quality of wood because there seems to be a higher price for it over the acrylic.
I'm sorry, I was just being silly with the passive aggressive comment! Might as well be saying that to a mirror 😅

Hardwood (especially the nice kiln dried kind you need for this work) is very expensive and can take a lot longer to process.

Razhumikin

I definitely am feeling a little touchy about it after all the unecesarry hate that has been spewed, it pisses me off to be accused of being some kind of shill just because i got an opprtunity to beta test a new device and shockingly i think its good. More to the point, the construction in no way exposes the user to breathing in glue offgassing, which is what was being implied in the original "plywood" comments on reddit. Yes, it may technically be plywood, but i think it was important to distinguish the way this was made from something like cheap particle board.

AWistfulNihilist

I definitely am feeling a little touchy about it after all the unecesarry hate that has been spewed, it pisses me off the be accused of being some kind of shill just because i got an opprtunity to beta test a new device and shockingly i think its good. More to the point, the construction in no way exposes the user to breathing in glue offgassing, which is what was being implied in the original "plywood" comments on reddit. Yes, it may technically be plywood, but i think it was important to distinguish the way this was made from something like cheap particle board.
Air intake occurs from the cold wood at bottom of the unit. The intake portion of the cap at worst gets warm.

And yeah honestly I'm jumpy AF over it, doing my best not to be a reactive asshole, at least with y'all 😅

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I did a brief scan through the thread, so I'm sorry if this was discussed previously.

Someone had mentioned in a different thread that the wood version is made of plywood. Is this accurate? From various pics I could see the layers in wood that is typical of plywood, but I thought it was inlay work. I understand that there is a need to keep costs down, but plywood?

Yeah I replied in that thread because technically we're not supposed to be talking about The safety of the materials used in any specific product threads... And Ralph has been using these woods for building his vapes for several years now (my OG Tubo Evic, from one of the earliest batches perhaps even the second ever, is painted poplar plywood, my OG Tetra P80, from the very first drop, is also painted poplar plywood, and a more recent TP80 I have is acrylic pour over the same just like my BAK... And there is zero impact on the vapor quality for any of them in my experience, while I tend to be a bit sensitive to this stuff myself)

not a redditor anymore, not pissed off, just an out of control analytical mind with questions ;)

sorry that's such a thorn in your pudding, Cupcake. :tup::tup:

Bak looks awesome to me, as an interested hash consumer.

FYI they were not even referring to you, they were referring to someone else on Reddit who brought up the plywood in their lists of grievances against this product and it's introduction... You were talking about it in that other thread based off what was on Reddit perhaps? In any case it is nothing new for Lamart, hence the reactions...

All good, I'm not sure about the use of the word and the ultimate definition and process for making every type of it that is available from Lamart, but the point is all this wood used is on the outside incorporated safely without affecting the actual vapor imo

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
Hiya, has anybody used the bak with small loads of ground flower, like .03 - .05g? I realise you'd probably need to introduce a screen or two into the hot air path and sacrifice that pure flavour, but I was wondering if it still extracted loose crumbs efficiently.

I remember using glass tubes inside glass tubes to vape in 2003 and was astonished at the flavour. It wasn't the Vaponic, these were pure glass no metal, smaller in diameter and could only hold tiny amounts, but it was that incredible flavour that really hooked me into vaping. So, yeah, I'm really interested in this one.

Top Bottom