BAKx - bake all kinds

games-loaves0t

I dont really have a conmection to the manufacturer; I was invited to the beta group because i was referred to ralph by someone who was already in the group, as i have a ton of 510s already and a lot of experience using them. I paid for my unit and participated in discussions about the device while we were testing it, but thats the most ive ever spoken to Ralph, i think weve had all of one convo before this and it was me registering a service request for a tp80. Its not like its some ongoing relationship, or like we got any money or special perks for participating. Its literally just a beta test group; if people have problems with that as a concept i guess thats their opinion, but i just feel i have to push back on the idea that this is some premeditated advertising push, cause thats just not the case.
I hear you, and I understand your perspective. Perhaps, @funkyjunky needs to do a better job laying out requirements for his beta testers. While you didn't receive monetary compensation, the fact that you were provided the ability to purchase the BAKx is a form of compensation. I'm sure you've seen it, but people are always complaining about how they aren't even able to purchase Lamart products. All I'm saying is that beta testers should disclose the structure of their relationship. It's as simple as that.

I think that both Troy and @Improvaper do a excellent job of being upfront with their compensation/relationships with manufacturers. Also, I appreciate your candor!

coolbreeze

The vaping community is strange, and I feel for @funkyjunky, as hype drives sales (VAS). If I ran Lamart, I'd follow a similar strategy and share my new products with influential community members to provide initial reviews to get sales started. The frustration lies in the fact that there aren't better disclaimers around the compensation provided for the beta testers' reviews (e.g., free test units), which leads to a lack of trust and certainty about whether the reviews are honest.

That said, as soon as more people get their hands on the BAKx, we'll know if it's as good as the beta testers say. When people have to spend their hard-earned money, they tend not to sugarcoat if they like something or not.
I also feel that people are put off by the sense that something is or has been exclusive, even for beta testing purposes. They were also pretty horrible about the Z8, I think because it was above the price range they could accept. I guess some people feel cut out or whatever. I wouldn't give it a second thought. It'll come out, make its own reputation, and those to whom it appeals will hop on the list, including some of those who are currently having kittens over it.

Weedaholic

Is there any reviews yet by any of the beta testers using good old Moroccan hash ?

I would like to see a review of that because hash is is easily available to me and that would be the main reason i would want the BAK.
I will probably still snag one the down the line if i can.I would also prefer if it was a all in one unit instead of using a mod.
Not a fan of using a mod but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Razhumikin

Is there any reviews yet by any of the beta testers using good old Moroccan hash ?

I would like to see a review of that because hash is is easily available to me and that would be the main reason i would want the BAK.
I will probably still snag one the down the line if i can.I would also prefer if it was a all in one unit instead of using a mod.
I actually just got morrocan hash last week, usually its hard to get around here but now that the gray market has developed here its becoming more available. The bak crushes it, its super enjoyable to vape hash in. Ive only twaxed with it so far, but i know people have enjoyed vaping just hash in the bak on cotton.

coolbreeze

Troy's video recounts his trip to Germany and the hash-vaping that took place. Upshot is, he is of the view that "European" hash is what it's designed and built for primarily. He seemed to like it better for hash than the Vapman even.

Last edited:

Weedaholic

I actually just got morrocan hash last week, usually its hard to get around here but now that the gray market has developed here its becoming more available. The bak crushes it, its super enjoyable to vape hash in. Ive only twaxed with it so far, but i know people have enjoyed vaping just hash in the bak on cotton.
Thanks for the reply my man.

That's good to hear so...I really just want it for hash myself but i would use it for flower if that's all i had
Yeah hash is just easy to get here...Think that's all i need to hear...Now trying to snag one is another thing lol.

Well enjoy your hash dude and i am glad you are digging it.

Troy's video recounts his trip to Germany and the hash-vaping that took place. Upshot is, he is of the view that "European" hash is what it's designed and built for primarily.
No i didn't see it to be honest i must have a look...Yeah i heard someone else saying it was built more towards hash but i could be wrong.

From what i am hearing ,most beta testers are loving it,

Thanks for the reply dude.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Had to split the above video, there is about 24 seconds in between the two clips that I cut out (mostly covering the preheat before second hit since I fully cleared the first hit with heater removed as I am want to do)
Here is the load in the stem pre tamp, of medium fine ground chemdelachem herbs:
PXL-20230127-003110205.jpg

And here is the extracted herb after, next to some fresh in the grinder, pretty tiny amount:
PXL-20230127-010930295.jpg

Can always go further I'm sure...

The vaping community is strange, and I feel for @funkyjunky, as hype drives sales (VAS). If I ran Lamart, I'd follow a similar strategy and share my new products with influential community members to provide initial reviews to get sales started.

The way I see it most of the vape industry community is just like broad tech beta testing outside of the mainstream, these sort of artisan products are their own world.

To be clear, this product was not specifically shared with influence in consideration nor for reviews or anything related to sales really... It was shared in another smaller vape community as a product being made for limited sale in beta secretly (not publicly)... Most of us believe in it enough that we encouraged it to be released as is to the general public even though the project may take new shape ultimately... Similarly many wanted to post and talk about it, being so passionate as many of us are, especially as it seems like other enthusiasts desired certain features available with this design...

The frustration lies in the fact that there aren't better disclaimers around the compensation provided for the beta testers' reviews (e.g., free test units), which leads to a lack of trust and certainty about whether the reviews are honest.

To further disclaim then, the compensation was the ability to try the product technology as soon as possible, fairly at a lower price since it is so early and rough, furthermore having opportunity to choose specific acrylic pours and colors we liked (most of them scraps from previous Tetra builds) along with a free beaded dry cooling stem... I believe at least one person close to Ralph received one for free, the person I am thinking of has not even posted publicly with it as far as I know, but pretty much all of us paid the full price otherwise with a modest discount (like $20 possibly 20% but I think it was less)... I paid $195 for my BAK, spare stem and spare cap (this is the magnetic piece that holds the stem, glass fits into the wood securely with silicone, very important to avoid touching hot glass, helpful to have spare ready to go for more chamber setups or hot swapping back to back BAK2BAK) along with a 510 extension cable (which I have not yet tried with anything) and that included a $5 international transaction fee from my bank transfer payment... Ralph threw in an extra stem that has a smaller chamber pinch (which is good because there was a weird cut in one of my other stems lol) also sent stainless steel tube and early rough banger he made for free to @jasp3r to send to me later (still don't have those yet) and I'm going to buy a rough U-turn banger that Ralph made more recently too...

That said, as soon as more people get their hands on the BAKx, we'll know if it's as good as the beta testers say. When people have to spend their hard-earned money, they tend not to sugarcoat if they like something or not.

Yeah, again, just to be clear, not only were we not asked to review or promote, we were specifically asked not to mention it at all... In my posts here I am not trying to review per se, merely provide feedback for the manufacturer on, and information for anyone interested in, something relatively new... Since the beginning of FC, and even back when I joined, there were several other new upcoming vapes that some members seemed to have access to testing and talking about, I never considered this phenomenon as targeted stealth promotion, just wondered if someday I would have the privilege myself, so once it happened for me I took it upon myself to share a lot with the community and give back in that way... (I've certainly felt prey to being overly passionate and even promotional in the past) So that is how I test and share personally, trying to keep everything in perspective and thinking of what I would want to see too at least.

but if you give the bak to people without tetra p80 already, they can't appriciate the restriced air flow now, for diversity purposes.....

i think when people use their tetra p80 a lot, you need that restricted hits sometimes. and if it supports full nugs and hash is cool too, more hash per battery or so...

with hash usage at the tetra p80 you will need to replace batteries often

Hm? I'm not sure what you mean, you don't have it yet haha just wait, I do like some restriction for the open tetra airflow, bak definitely much more restrictive, but I think each should be approached individually, and I don't think the airflow is the only key here... Battery life is ultimately pretty similar for me using single Molicels between them too.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Full retail price, or discounted? Ah

I'd have to check to be certain what exactly for each, but I think just BAKx itself is going to be 185 in the drop? So I paid a bit less...

in exchange for some added risk

Right there was nothing official signed or anything like that, pretty casual exchange of beta level product testing, understood that this was a new product design only tested by the maker with an alpha then a beta and a few more whipped up eventually... in some cases a pretty rough build and a bit more open-ended in many ways, as it was really us all who pushed him to make it public sooner, confirming it was ready and not just a single case crazy success, this is what led to units being available during the next tetra drop, people basically have us testers to thank for them becoming available now :cool::lol::ko::rolleyes::tup:

Last edited:

Oden

Reddit is sometimes a shit hole.
Personally I don't give a damn about these stories lol.
When I saw the first opinions from the beta testers, I was just happy, because I had been waiting for a Lamart novelty for a long time, and nothing else in particular came to mind.
People sometimes like to invent problems where there are none lol.
When I see what a good guy like Shit Snacks brings to this community, and to me personally! Because he always answered present when I asked him noob questions lol.
I just find this reaction from some people very laughable.

Finally I will wait for a few drops to buy this famous BAK.
I admit it, I'm not an early adopter 🤣🤣.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
I'd have to check to be certain what exactly for each, but I think just BAKx itself is going to be 185 in the drop? So I paid a bit less...

Right there was nothing official signed or anything like that, pretty casual exchange of beta level product testing, understood that this was a new product design only tested by the maker with an alpha then a beta and a few more whipped up eventually... in some cases a pretty rough build and a bit more open-ended in many ways, as it was really us all who pushed him to make it public sooner, confirming it was ready and not just a single case crazy success, this is what led to units being available during the next tetra drop, people basically have us testers to thank for them becoming available now :cool::lol::ko::rolleyes::tup:
It pretty much comes out to you get a free shorter extension and a second roasting tube if you got in on the beta. So there wasn’t much kick back for the beta test, definitely not what it’s being made out to be on other social medias. I’ll have to try for a video tonight.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
I think we should start a thread in the Vapor Lounge or similar if we want to continue this discussion and keep this about the device, but I did want to respond to @Shit Snacks and some of the other folks.

First, I think we're abusing the term "beta tester" when we use it in this community. Maybe I'm naive or misinformed and there is a lot of back and forth, negative feedback, and iteration from the manufacturer on a product before it gets released that we just don't see. It doesn't seem like that with most of the recent devices and their crowds of "beta testers" though--it seems like they just got a device early for the express purpose of generating hype. Even if there aren't specific instructions to promote it on social media it seems pretty obvious to me that its the intent. Its a little more palatable here when it is people chiming in on a dedicated thread for the device that the manufacturer started. The threads on reddit were of someone's video taking a hit with an obscured device and saying, "coming soon." I just don't see how that is helpful beta feedback. In both cases the intent seems clear to me, though--its about getting people excited.

Its also not that I (personally, I've seen some heated comments on reddit) think there is a nefarious conspiracy where lamart or someone else is bankrolling a bunch of people. Its that like someone else mentioned, the connection and relationship with a manufacturer for some fringe benefit--and I think in this case its hard to argue with a straight face that getting a Lamart device without having to go through the drop process isn't a huge benefit worth quite a bit more than a $20 discount and stem--calls into credibility the motives and biases of the poster. Especially when its a lot of the same faces beta testing devices over and over again.

I think to some extent the first part is inevitable and natural with smaller artisan makers. I just think they might be better served with a more transparent process to solicit early adopters to help with word-of-mouth advertising. When its people with relationships or receiving fringe benefits coming here or to Reddit (where again, I think most people are assuming they are talking with fellow enthusiasts and not someone with a potential bias due to a relationship or desire to keep receiving reduced price or hard-to-get items early) and not disclosing that fact it leaves a bad taste in people's mouth, and certainly makes me question how much I can trust feedback from some of my fellow members. I'm sure some will disagree with my take, but personally while I might enjoy chatting with them there are lots of people here and on reddit who's opinions I just don't value anymore--it seems clear that they are more concerned with continuing to be an early adopter than with having objective and unbiased discussion of vapes 🤷‍♂️

Apologies if this isn't clear or comes off overly antagonistic. Its not meant that way. I've imbibed some myself and I'm just trying to share my thoughts. Again though I feel like this ought to be for the device so we should take it to PMs or a new thread if we want to discuss this trend in this community further.

Shit Snacks

Okay so one perk

Forgot to mention part of it is that we would be responsible to pay shipping and send it back if there were any problems, risk in that sense of spending more money on it (this has happened in other beta I have been in) @gordontreeman love you man I'll have to read that some other time sorry lol

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
I personally don't care about the hype over improving the device. I suspect there was a lot of discussion on the private channels, including convincing Ralph to release it as a product as is.

I'll also give more leeway to Lamart as a 3 person company with an great reputation.

Compared to the Angus and Anvil threads, there is no one here meeting questions with hostility and no one shouting down criticism. So far the only problem seems to be the fact that you can't buy one today. Which is wild because I am literally on 6 waiting lists, so which have already been paid. That's how it works in our niche community.

And a few folks don't want a 510 device. The response to that has been a resounding "that's fair".

Anyway, I have never succeeded in any Lamart drop. I also don't take that personally.

I should mostly be quiet because it is off topic and I can't make heads-or-tails of the reddit threads. Vaporents was a place I enjoyed for a long time but seems not very interesting now for collectors of novel vapes.

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Mine is a bit dirty as is my rig and it’s late so I’ll definitely post some videos tonight.

@gordontreeman you are correct in that the biggest perk was not having to do a drop, so I’m sure any one would have hopped on it if able. To say @funkyjunky (not that your saying it, but referring to the Reddit post claim) that he is shilling or trying to boost sales is crazy to me. He wants to sell his whole drop, that a one man operation builds(maybe he has help with builds?), in what 2 minutes because 4 minutes is not moving them quick enough?

Bak on topic 😏like what I did there 😏
While I enjoy the Bak and it is a good device I don’t use it as much as a lot of others, it doesn’t quite have a stable scenario of use for me as much as others vaping situations. This is partially to do with, it does take a bit of learning curve vs a ball vape and the wife likes to vape with no learning curve and just vape which a desktop style vape does. I do sesh out with it when I still feel like vaping and she doesn’t because when we vape together we share a device, and I do this because it is a fun little device that works well with a unique vape signature. It’s not for everybody IMO. I can see people who use anvil, TA, TRWW glass vape, vaponic really liking it a lot and people who want to be able to just take a vape out press on or quick heat up like the strictly TM (and other similar portables) users might not be into it as much.
I myself use a desktop almost all my use because of my vaping style, but truly think this will be a lot more well received when it hits drops and the drama from Reddit blows over.

Last edited:

coolbreeze

It doesn't seem like that with most of the recent devices and their crowds of "beta testers" though--it seems like they just got a device early for the express purpose of generating hype.
The whole 'hype' issue confuses me. To what end? Lamart doesn't seem to be struggling for sales, unless you mean keeping up with demand.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
The whole 'hype' issue confuses me. To what end? Lamart doesn't seem to be struggling for sales, unless you mean keeping up with demand.
Yeah, I admit in the case of Lamart I don't get it either. I think the reputation of Ralph's devices speaks for themselves. I guess just to get the word out--he is still an artisan without the advertising budget of someone like Arizer or S&B. Like I said, I think word of mouth is somewhat inevitable for these smaller one-man shops. There just might be a way to do it that doesn't generate the antagonistic response that reddit had to people posting about the Bak.

gordontreeman,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Yeah, I admit in the case of Lamart I don't get it either. I think the reputation of Ralph's devices speaks for themselves. I guess just to get the word out--he is still an artisan without the advertising budget of someone like Arizer or S&B. Like I said, I think word of mouth is somewhat inevitable for these smaller one-man shops. There just might be a way to do it that doesn't generate the antagonistic response that reddit had to people posting about the Bak.
Edit: Sorry. On to the real: this thing looks cool! Maybe i'll break down and join the 510 world.

Last edited:
coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

iDRINKBLEACH

Accessory Maker
Fwiw I’m sending mine to another active member soon so he can play with it and report on it. As I fully believe it’s a good vape, just doesn’t get as tested with me as it should be. I do like it enough to have it sent back to me for when I go back to South Dakota to visit for spring break, where I will have a lot more situations that would benefit from its use.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Edit: Sorry. On to the real: this thing looks cool! Maybe i'll break down and join the 510 world.
It’s funny because I’m thinking the same thing haha, if what idb says is true, and Anvil / TA lovers will enjoy this one, idk. Kinda sounds like I’ll try and get into the second drop and await further experiences with it. Ergonomics aren’t the greatest but it’s got a unique configuration that I’m liking more and more. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Improvaper

Look, I don't wanna carry the drama here, but I feel I need to speak my mind on this.

It's absolutely exhausting to have to defend an honest opinion on a product at every turn. To have 5 years of no-bullshit pros-n-cons contributions to the community be completely ignored because I am now, singularly, a paid shill for Lamart. I don't have the time of day to try and convince people that I *actually* love the BAK. Nor do I care enough to not be a tester and demo guy for Lamart for the "privilege" of moderating the sub. All this needless drama has done is cement the fact that Vaporents is not the place for me any further. I stepped down as a mod voluntarily and will not be contributing any more there. It was a good run, but all things come to an end.

But god, what a toxic garbage fire that place is. All my drive to help folks there: Gone... just... gone.

Anyway, BAK on topic... a little video demo dump. Enjoy!

Whole nug twaxing on Sloth bubbler:

Ground flower on Pulsar gridline:

Driving a dynavap (actually a Woodscents TEC tip):

Whole nugs in recycler:

Small ground flower load on big Jet:

Hydratube dab:

Whip dab with a cringe dance, sorry in advace:

The shortest of whip dabs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom