Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

Zorbak

How fragile does the adapter feel with the WT? It looks...precarious...

It fits nice and snug, it's just that the adapter is a little long. It feels stable, but I wouldn't want to lie it down or turn it sideways, cause the water might leak, and the adapter might slip out. I have a friend who blows glass, and i'm gonna see if he can shorten it up for me.

Zorbak,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
If you have a carbide drill bit, all you have to do is score a little line about half the diameter of the tube and just snap it! Sounds scary I know but, if you have it scored correctly it'll snap perfectly straight. Then just fire polish with a butane torch.

Vaporito

Regarding the adaptor what is the most common size thst would fit various glass pieces 14mm or 18mm?

Also, I'm wondering if the wood burl pattern is the same on all of them or if they vary, would love to see some pics...

Vaporito,

Zorbak

If you have a carbide drill bit, all you have to do is score a little line about half the diameter of the tube and just snap it! Sounds scary I know but, if you have it scored correctly it'll snap perfectly straight. Then just fire polish with a butane torch.

I don't have a carbide drill bit or a butane torch, but i'll look into the technique you're talking about, and see if I can work something out. thanks, it would be a great set-up if just a little shorter.

Zorbak,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
I don't have a carbide drill bit or a butane torch, but i'll look into the technique you're talking about, and see if I can work something out. thanks, it would be a great set-up if just a little shorter.
i think a diamond will do it as well.

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd,

Lazarus

Does the smell of the vapor linger? If I vape it in a bedroom and put everything away will people realize?

Lazarus,

sam reynolds

because "Samantha" is a mouthful.
It fits nice and snug, it's just that the adapter is a little long. It feels stable, but I wouldn't want to lie it down or turn it sideways, cause the water might leak, and the adapter might slip out. I have a friend who blows glass, and i'm gonna see if he can shorten it up for me.
How about the thickness of the stem? That's the part that makes me worry. My GonG adapter for my solo feels like it's built like a champ, and I have no concern about it snapping, but something about the look of the Ascent GonG seems less than sturdy...

sam reynolds,

HalfQ

Does the smell of the vapor linger? If I vape it in a bedroom and put everything away will people realize?
Grab a smell proof bag for the ascent and open the window while you vape .. Blow the vapor outside if you're worried

Any more comparisons in comparison to the solo?
Coming from a bong ripper .. Looking for big clouds
The small vape path of the ascent scares me

Last edited:
HalfQ,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
Grab a smell proof bag for the ascent and open the window while you vape .. Blow the vapor outside if you're worried

Any more comparisons in comparison to the solo?
Coming from a bong ripper .. Looking for big clouds
The small vape path of the ascent scares me
You can get absolute clouds with the ascent, it takes technique like most vapes do but, it is indeed a champ! The small vapor path is fine because the draw is so unrestricted.

Keep the feedback coming guys, I'm riveted. Any more problems with off gasing and bad flavors?

You can see some of the tools glassblowers use to score glass before snapping it here

330750%5B1%5D-20090808-035625.jpg

If you take a picture of that into Home Depot, Lowe's or your neighborhood hardware store they'll give you something just like it for a few bucks, and it does the job very well.

Here's a video of the proper technique at around the 10 second mark. This gentleman's videos are well worth watching.
He wets it to reduce glass dust entering the air.

I'd love to hear more direct comparisons between the Solo and the Ascent, that's my yardstick and will determine whether or not I pick one up.

Also, someone have mercy on us and do a milkshot video through a nice piece of glass!

Meghan

I am also appreciating reading first impressions. I pre-ordered one of these but most likely have a wait ahead of me (not that I mind...gives me time to see what everyone else thinks). I'm definitely feeling the need for a simple-to-use portable to put in my pocket when I'm out of the house, and I'm very interested to know how those with experience using a few different portables feel that this stacks up. Basically, does it appear that the Ascent will live up to the hype, or is it just another in a growing field of respectable portable vapes? :)

Meghan,

VaPeD&CoNfUsEd

JoDa Glassworks
Glass Blower
That's the video I learned that from!
My smell is about gone. It was that new silicone smell, I also attribute the packaging for a lot of the smell, just like it was for the original Davinci.

@Meghan
I've owned a solo, 2 paxi (lol), an original DV, a pinnacle, a mflb, and probably 1 or 2 that aren't coming to mind. While ALL of these portables have their strong points I believe that the ascent will be the most full spectrum all around great portable. After ones days use I'm almost ready to call it my favorite portable ever.....almost! It'll take some consistency over some time to make me feel that way.

grokit

well-worn member
My ascent won't be here until probably saturday, but I have reservations about using it with my pinnacle wt anyways. I have two other vapes in mind that should match up better (UD twig, tvape) with it, even though I have the 14mm straight gong selected. I'm guessing I should have gotten the other gong for bong experimentation, but I don't really care because I am getting this for pocket/stealth use with occasional sharing via the buddy rim, not for use with wt's.

Having said all of this, shortening the short straight gong up a bit does make sense.

grokit,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Also, I'm wondering if the wood burl pattern is the same on all of them or if they vary, would love to see some pics...

The burl is a printed piece. I had presumed that they were each the same, but perhaps there are multiple variants printed? Mine does NOT match the photo that DV posted earlier, either in pattern nor saturation. (DVs professional photography has the saturation WAAAAAY over-dialed). I'll keep an eye on others' photos when they post to see if we can identify units with identical patterns.

The Croc is a sheet of leather that is stamped and (die?) cut, so I believe those to not be identical, depending on where they are cut out of the sheet. [EDIT: but I guess there are only so many ways to cut out of the same stamped sheet, so maybe there are croc variants also.... I await others' images to be posted to tell]

Last edited:
nigel,
The Croc is actually genuine leather? Think I know which one I'm getting. Kinda wish the sides of the croc were blacked out instead of aluminum, but oh well.

Last edited:
charliedontsurf,

Cillerix

My Stealth arrived in the mail today. The vapor tastes great after the initial new vape period but it is very wispy thin vapor. does anyone have any tips to make this thing rip harder? Im thinking of throwing some cotton in the bowl.
BTW i did not let it charge to full before use as the instructions say. Im going to charge it overnight and see if that makes a difference tomorrow, looks like my solo is getting some use tonight afterall haha

Cillerix,

OF

You can see some of the tools glassblowers use to score glass before snapping it here

If you take a picture of that into Home Depot, Lowe's or your neighborhood hardware store they'll give you something just like it for a few bucks, and it does the job very well.

Here's a video of the proper technique at around the 10 second mark. This gentleman's videos are well worth watching.
He wets it to reduce glass dust entering the air.

Great video for those who don't know. Thanks for posting.

While the 'official tool' is nice, notice he says 'or a three corner file'? You can do the same with a common triangular file which is probably cheaper and definitely more useful for other things. The technique is the same, only you can file the scratch in the normal manner if you're not able to make a good scratch in a single pass. Diamond edged tools work great as well as does a single tooth from a carbide tipped saw. You just need a solid scratch to provide the flaw to spread.

Over the years I've cut a lot of glass tube and never once used 'the right tool for the job' by glassblower standards.

OF

Great video for those who don't know. Thanks for posting.

While the 'official tool' is nice, notice he says 'or a three corner file'? You can do the same with a common triangular file which is probably cheaper and definitely more useful for other things. The technique is the same, only you can file the scratch in the normal manner if you're not able to make a good scratch in a single pass. Diamond edged tools work great as well as does a single tooth from a carbide tipped saw. You just need a solid scratch to provide the flaw to spread.

Over the years I've cut a lot of glass tube and never once used 'the right tool for the job' by glassblower standards.

OF

Hey, whatever works. In the Glass India documentary they cut tubing by turning it at high speed over a nichrome wire.

grokit

well-worn member
I've got a cheap glass scoring tool with the little circular blade from the hardware store, was thinking of giving it a shot. If I don't destroy it in the process I can just soften the sharp edges with a plumber's torch?

grokit,
Yes, very carefully rotate the glass tube at a steady speed in one hand while very gently and gradually heating just the jagged portion of the tube. Don't burn yourself.

Before the mods say it, back to the Ascent..

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: grokit

Skulduggery

Received stealth today, initial battery charge only 5 hours. Like a new coffee mug, there's a slight silicon taste, but that will quickly pass. Removing the glass pieces and swabbing the intake line and mouthside top with a ISO soaked qtip, which ended up black when finished, helped reduce this new smell.

All I can say at the moment is, BRAVO DaVinci!! I hated and agonized with everyone over the delays, but the revisions made were totally worth the delay. Thank you for choosing quality. I will write a review after the new smell fades, but this is EXACTLY what the market needed.

For those asking, it is not clunky. Despite knowing the dimensions, I was taken back by how much smaller it is in person. To think a month ago I winced when I saw the clasp in the photos, but today I didn't even notice it until I went to open the bottom and thought, thank the vape gods for this clasp. Overall, I'm highly impressed, and with now realizing the importance of these changes from handling it, I would have waited til December for these modifications.

If you're still waiting for your ASCENT, hang in there, I wish I could share mine with all of you.

2 Paces

So, you'll have to forgive me, but what is that thing?

Pinnacle water tube. Cool little unit. Made for the Pinnacle, but has a 14mm fitting on the bottom so it is very versatile. Very smooth for such a small unit.

I don't have a Pinnacle, but I bought one of the water tubes to use with my Pax and the Ascent when it arrived. Just got my Ascent delivery confirmation from USPS, so it looks like I'll be using it with the Ascent this weekend. Can't wait to see how the two pair up.

smokie

Received my davinci ascent today. And a bit disappointed with build quality. My buttons are the wrong way round? A small problem I know. Anyone else have same problem?

Top Bottom