Arizer Solo 3

MettaWP

Hi everyone, I've yet to buy a dry herb vape and am strongly considering getting the Solo 3 as my first one. I had a few questions for those able to provide some insight:

1) For the smaller stem, how many hits are you able to get from it before the herb is spent on on-demand mode vs session mode? Can you please specify the temperature/setting AND the length of each draw for each hit (e.g. 8 second pull/draw).

2) How is the harshness of those hits relative to an oil cartridge? For reference, I am used to drawing for 5-6 seconds at around 2.5-2.6 volts on a cart before it starts getting too harsh for my throat and lungs. If somebody can compare, that would be greatly appreciated. I do not plan on using this through water, so I am only really talking about dry hits.

3) How does the vapor harshness compare to the TM2? I understand the TM2 has better airflow (which appeals to me) and there's a whole bunch of stems you can throw on for cooling, so it is a top contender for me as well.

4) What is the inhalation technique you use for the most efficient extraction? I would preferably like to use on-demand mode and clear a stem as fast as possible without coughing up a lung. I hear gently sipping on it is the best way, but I am used to pulling pretty hard coming from carts.

Thank you in advance.

MettaWP,

collievape

I got one of the Ed's tnt stems (I don't remember which wood -it is not the black wood) about 2 weeks ago - I liked the wooden stem until it fell apart after 2 uses. The metal piece pulled off inside the solo 3 and tore up the little o-rings. I pulled the metal end out with some needle nose pliers, replaced the o-rings, tried again - and the same thing happened. Maybe just a fluke and I got a bad one -but it is enough of a pain to pull out the metal end that I just haven't used it again. The reviews on POTV mention this a lot (although it is not where I bought mine from)
Ed's tnt has been in contact and has great customer service - I will report back (hopefully all will be good) when I receive the new one. I am hopeful because I really liked it

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hi everyone, I've yet to buy a dry herb vape and am strongly considering getting the Solo 3 as my first one. I had a few questions for those able to provide some insight:

Welcome to FC!

1) For the smaller stem, how many hits are you able to get from it before the herb is spent on on-demand mode vs session mode? Can you please specify the temperature/setting AND the length of each draw for each hit (e.g. 8 second pull/draw).

There are way too many variables, yes the temperature setting will control how fast it extracts, but it also depends how you inhale, how long etc. On demand mode you have the control of temp and time setting, session mode goes even lower temp though, it also depends how much you load exactly if the bowl is full, how is the grind, how packed... So I don't think there's any way to answer this really

2) How is the harshness of those hits relative to an oil cartridge? For reference, I am used to drawing for 5-6 seconds at around 2.5-2.6 volts on a cart before it starts getting too harsh for my throat and lungs. If somebody can compare, that would be greatly appreciated. I do not plan on using this through water, so I am only really talking about dry hits.

It is extremely different, oil hits different, it can be much harsher with the short path, however this dry herb vape can also be extremely harsh with short path depending on the settings and other factors... Alternative cooling stems can help, running low temps, smaller hits that you take fresh air in as well... Sorry it's a tricky thing to compare exactly in the way you want to do so

3) How does the vapor harshness compare to the TM2? I understand the TM2 has better airflow (which appeals to me) and there's a whole bunch of stems you can throw on for cooling, so it is a top contender for me as well.

I find the TM smoother because of the pure convection, hybrid heating in the solo can be harsher for me, the conduction extraction, but yeah I also have much nicer aftermarket stems for my TM that I use more

4) What is the inhalation technique you use for the most efficient extraction? I would preferably like to use on-demand mode and clear a stem as fast as possible without coughing up a lung. I hear gently sipping on it is the best way, but I am used to pulling pretty hard coming from carts.

Thank you in advance.

Yeah you won't be pulling hard, not like a cart, slow sip puffing probably best for you, and probably better in session mode than on demand? Better to go lower temp, but if you want to clear both faster than yeah on demand higher temp would do it, but it will be much harsher (you can clear in one hit however that is probably not what you want coughing wise so you might have to compromise a bit somewhere)

MettaWP

Welcome to FC!

There are way too many variables, yes the temperature setting will control how fast it extracts, but it also depends how you inhale, how long etc. On demand mode you have the control of temp and time setting, session mode goes even lower temp though, it also depends how much you load exactly if the bowl is full, how is the grind, how packed... So I don't think there's any way to answer this really

It is extremely different, oil hits different, it can be much harsher with the short path, however this dry herb vape can also be extremely harsh with short path depending on the settings and other factors... Alternative cooling stems can help, running low temps, smaller hits that you take fresh air in as well... Sorry it's a tricky thing to compare exactly in the way you want to do so

I find the TM smoother because of the pure convection, hybrid heating in the solo can be harsher for me, the conduction extraction, but yeah I also have much nicer aftermarket stems for my TM that I use more

Yeah you won't be pulling hard, not like a cart, slow sip puffing probably best for you, and probably better in session mode than on demand? Better to go lower temp, but if you want to clear both faster than yeah on demand higher temp would do it, but it will be much harsher (you can clear in one hit however that is probably not what you want coughing wise so you might have to compromise a bit somewhere)
Thanks for taking the time to respond!

kgb33

I got one of the Ed's tnt stems (I don't remember which wood -it is not the black wood) about 2 weeks ago - I liked the wooden stem until it fell apart after 2 uses. The metal piece pulled off inside the solo 3 and tore up the little o-rings. I pulled the metal end out with some needle nose pliers, replaced the o-rings, tried again - and the same thing happened. Maybe just a fluke and I got a bad one -but it is enough of a pain to pull out the metal end that I just haven't used it again. The reviews on POTV mention this a lot (although it is not where I bought mine from)
Damn thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear that. I ordered two before reading that.

If arizer had more xl glass I would have order them instead but have been eyeing Ed's for years thinking about a stem for the retired Solo 2. Sure hoping they ship today

I was thinking Ed's would work extremely well with the Solo 3's more powerful heater.

Ed's tnt has been in contact and has great customer service - I will report back (hopefully all will be good) when I receive the new one. I am hopeful because I really liked it
That's great to hear!

He has been around so long I figured his customer service must be good!

I have a two 4 inch stems coming. A blackwood and a cocbolo.

Can't wait lol

collievape

Damn thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear that. I ordered two before reading that.

If arizer had more xl glass I would have order them instead but have been eyeing Ed's for years thinking about a stem for the retired Solo 2. Sure hoping they ship today

I was thinking Ed's would work extremely well with the Solo 3's more powerful heater.

That's great to hear!

He has been around so long I figured his customer service must be good!

I have a two 4 inch stems coming. A blackwood and a cocbolo.

Can't wait lol
It is a nice stem and I am thinking that I just got a fluke

collievape,
Reactions: kgb33

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
It really does 😋. It's my favorite stem at the moment and I love the fact that it's also a 14mm WPA as I use it with my favorite dimpled pipe for great cooling all the time.
It is a nice stem and I am thinking that I just got a fluke
I think so. Hope you get fixed up soon!

chillAtGVC

How much is too much in the XL stems? What is the approximate capacity (weight) that it can hold without burning the tip or being overly restrictive? I've read numbers from 0.2g to 0.6g. The latter seems pretty high.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
How much is too much in the XL stems? What is the approximate capacity (weight) that it can hold without burning the tip or being overly restrictive? I've read numbers from 0.2g to 0.6g. The latter seems pretty high.
0.6g is probably fairly accurate. If I was very conservative, it's at least 0.4g. I don't have a scale to test it though, so I'm basing that on the bowl size of other vapes I own.

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: chillAtGVC

kimura

my Solo 3 showed up last night. Wasted no time removing the glass screen of the regular WPA with a diamond bit dremel and did multiple burn offs. I did detect a slight odor of assembly lube (?) when I first inspected the bowl, but this did dissipate with the burn offs, and was undetectable during use.

I had a solo and a solo 2 previously so I sorta already knew the deal. The 3 works great, obviously better than the 2 in terms of speed and power, but also has better airflow. only used WPA w/ this j-hook. Deep oven makes a difference! I’ve only used whole/hand torn nugs so far and it’s worked out great. very even and thorough hybrid extraction. flavor is pure, highly effective. I've been fond of the solos for many years, but they were a bit low on power with too tight of a draw. this version addressed those issues, and is what I was hoping it would be. I'm pretty happy so far

Postlark

Update on testing the solo 3

It finally seems vaporization technology has reached the point of perfection of function (for me at least) with the solo 3. The strange odors have mostly gone after some burn offs and use.

I have been using mostly the XL stem with a loose pack and screen at the end, at 180 or 200c. I leave it to soak in session mode for an extra minute or so, I am after the thick vapor. After a couple pulls, it gets to a point where you can do mouth to lung pulls and get dense vapor like smoking a joint.

This is the first time a device has given me this experience. It is also the first electronic device I have tried that can successfully vape traditional hash in vape wool, at least by my definition, until it is fully spent.

I would take an Arizer air max style portable with this technology even if the battery would only last the same as the Crafty's...

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Update on testing the solo 3

It finally seems vaporization technology has reached the point of perfection of function (for me at least) with the solo 3. The strange odors have mostly gone after some burn offs and use.

I have been using mostly the XL stem with a loose pack and screen at the end, at 180 or 200c. I leave it to soak in session mode for an extra minute or so, I am after the thick vapor. After a couple pulls, it gets to a point where you can do mouth to lung pulls and get dense vapor like smoking a joint.
Yup. I sort of found this out the hard way... I had been vaping flower at 365F(185c) and thought I had just started a flower session at that temp but it had actually been at 395F(201c) from a rosin sesh I had done previously. I mistook the "9" for a "6" when I looked at the temp display quickly.

I picked up the Solo expecting a nice tasty hit and I got a mouthful of super thick vapor that almost made me choke since I'm used to inhaling DTL. I'm not saying there aren't times I might want that type of hit but I certainly wasn't expecting it and had never had any reason to try flower at that temperature yet.
This is the first time a device has given me this experience. It is also the first electronic device I have tried that can successfully vape traditional hash in vape wool, at least by my definition, until it is fully spent.
Nice. I also have had good experiences with rosin, hash and budder.

McSheamus

Yesterdayevening i did a last on demand session before bed. With this session the battery was empy, red, and flashing. I assumed the battery was almost to 0%.

I plug it in just now and it is on 37%...

How can i know when its almost empty and when not. This is really annoying.
The battery icon was flashing, red, and empty. But still 37% left?!

Arizer could have done a better job with alerting when the battery is effectively under 20% or 10%. Not flashing red when there is still almost half a battery left.

Yesterdayevening i did a last on demand session before bed. With this session the battery was empy, red, and flashing. I assumed the battery was almost to 0%.

I plug it in just now and it is on 37%...

How can i know when its almost empty and when not. This is really annoying.
The battery icon was flashing, red, and empty. But still 37% left?!

Arizer could have done a better job with alerting when the battery is effectively under 20% or 10%. Not flashing red when there is still almost half a battery left.
I hope arizer updates the solo 3 with more thoughtful software if that is that is possible with the usb-c port. The ability to set anything up the way you desire and have real time digital displays of info would really up the value of the only portable vape I've owned that truly produces thick vapor in a near effortless fashion. I never feel like it's wasting herb. It is as good to me as my ball vape and I thought my vape buying days were over when I got that. Would also be nice if they made a stem without the restrictive glass screen. I did the mod of breaking out the screen to open up the airflow. It works really effectively once the stem has loosened up from use and you lift it a bit off the oven bottom to allow more air flow. I'm afraid arizer is too invested in the all glass path airway angle to ever do this. That's good for Ed's TNT. Only wish his prices weren't so inflated and I'd get me one. I'm a low fixed income old type man that's had some tough times, but that is really my problem and no one else's. But cheers anyway, I'm making it and have some good bud.

Pukka

Highly recommend using a rotary tool (like a dremel) with a needle point diamond burr bit if you want to remove the glass screen. point of the bit goes in the holes in the glass screen and then just take your time. Wear a mask and eye protection
Absolutely second this. The pinkish/tan grinding bit (the one that looks like sandpaper w/o the paper) works well to finish the edges nicely.

Old Stoner1958

You can buy the stems without the glass screens at 420ERC, but right now they are out of the 90mm and 110mm.

Absolutely second this. The pinkish/tan grinding bit (the one that looks like sandpaper w/o the paper) works well to finish the edges nicely.
Yeah, that would have saved a couple of stems, but even though I've got a Dremel I can find it in the disaster mess I now live in. I've drilled holes in liquor bottles to make pipes and still junked two stems. Glad this is my 4th solo, so no problem on stems. Partly why was so careless. Thanks for the reply.
You can buy the stems without the glass screens at 420ERC, but right now they are out of the 90mm and 110mm.
Don't knock it if I you've not tried it. It makes taking a hit effortless which I find truly nice. The 3 is my 4th solo and I've got a Q. I'm not knocking anything arizer. I just don't understand why they don't make one without the glass screen especially when so many people use the included mesh screens ( including me).

Glad to learn of the 420RRC stems, will give one a try. Thanks and Cheers from another old stoner.

kimura

Good call, but if I’m not mistaken they do not carry a WPA with no glass screen, which is the only way I roll. (dimpled J hook)

Couldn’t find a screenless glass wpa anywhere. Sold mine years ago so I had to make my own

Pukka

Good call, but if I’m not mistaken they do not carry a WPA with no glass screen, which is the only way I roll. (dimpled J hook)
Planetvape.ca has the PHdHES gongs in stock in several types and size. They have something similar to your desire in 18mm "shorty", which does an excellent job of emulating a 1-hitter in session mode (developed for Arizers<3).

kimura

Planetvape.ca has the PHdHES gongs in stock in several types and size. They have something similar to your desire in 18mm "shorty", which does an excellent job of emulating a 1-hitter in session mode (developed for Arizers<3).
you’re right! I actually looked there before but couldn’t find one without the glass screen. I just looked again now and I see it. Thanks!

Modding the stem was free for me, but if you don’t have tools then it looks like the PV wpa is a good glass option. I might snag one at some point

Petetbay

Yeah I have some full bowl turbo and vortex wpa’s and was trying to get the full bowl female joint turbo wpa that was supposed to be in stock, but I had to cancel the order after they couldn’t find them because they’re moving and everything is boxed up. They said they had the shorty bowls, but I just canceled after 6 weeks and not interested in the shorty bowls. I need the XL bowl in turbo, hopefully 420edc will see there’s a demand and make the hi-flo wpa with both standard and XL sizes, he’s on here and likes to fill the need when there’s a demand. I like JoDa stuff, but shipping is expensive if you’re only ordering a couple of adapters.

edit: I tried my JoDa Roffu wpa in the S3 and worked pretty good, the adjustable bowl is nice. Used silicone tubing to seal the top, both raised bowl and on the bottom worked good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom