Discontinued Zion vaporizer

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Greetings lovers and haters. We are making good progress getting Milaana complete so that we can focus on Zion. Given the existing demand for Zion and Milaana we have decided to focus on producing a limited run of each. This will allow us to have concentrate on production without the distraction of sales and marketing. The slow sale of these few hundred units will help minimize financial losses as we work to develop more commercially viable designs in 2017.

This is good news for all of you patiently waiting for your Zion. As always, refunds are a available to anyone who wants off of the Zion train.

Thanks to all who continue to be positive and support and thanks to the critics for the constructive criticism as both help us to navigate towards success.

I personally think Milaana and Zion are garbage and anyone in their right mind will never by them... Well at least not more than a few hundred ;)

grokit

well-worn member
At some point these vaporizers will market themselves. They need to reach a critical mass first, like with reviewers, and get them into head shops, and yes social media; not my thing but it seems to work.

Until then it's like our private club, with kickass handmade wooden vapes being perfected :tup:

little maggie

I don't understand about making "commercially viable" products. These are incredible products and so are commercially viable- they just need more marketing. The Daisy didn't sell but now look at the brick clones of it. Most people, even on this board, didn't know about the daisy when it was being marketed but the bricks seem to be selling well. I hope that after you make the limited runs that you work on marketing and sending units to some online reviewers that have followings instead of trying to create a different product. And sell some on PIU. I know that whatever you make will be creative and interesting but you already have incredible products that almost anyone who tried would love.

ZC

I do agree with little Maggie. The Zion still has never even been available, neither the Zion's or Mi is in the hands of any prominent reviewers. Very minimal availability for the Mi and no advertising to speak of.

You have social media accounts but those alone dont bring in awareness. And for obvious reasons a lot of people aren't going to publicly share posts about paraphernalia.

You can't gauge the commercial viability of a product that isn't available and isn't advertised.

And of course the majority of sales are from fc when it isn't visible anywhere else.

While I personally like the idea of limited runs of an evolving line if vapes, hard to call the Mi and Zi bad sellers if they haven't even been given a fair chance on the market.

YungLeaner

I do agree with little Maggie. The Zion still has never even been available, neither the Zion's or Mi is in the hands of any prominent reviewers. Very minimal availability for the Mi and no advertising to speak of.

You have social media accounts but those alone dont bring in awareness. And for obvious reasons a lot of people aren't going to publicly share posts about paraphernalia.

You can't gauge the commercial viability of a product that isn't available and isn't advertised.

And of course the majority of sales are from fc when it isn't visible anywhere else.

While I personally like the idea of limited runs of an evolving line if vapes, hard to call the Mi and Zi bad sellers if they haven't even been given a fair chance on the market.
Vaporizer Wizard & Vape Critic plus positive Reddit press have massive market potential and not very difficult to please. People like quick, digestible videos or gifs of the vaporizer functioning well through glass. People also like buying stuff and lots of vape owners want more vapes. Review units and a rep posting to Reddit could have vast financial benefits.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
People also like buying stuff and lots of vape owners want more vapes.

Not sure I agree (buying maybe, spending money? Na) as many really just want one good vape (which ofcourse imo Zion, even Milaana are a phenomenal one size fits all option)

Also not sure StickyBrick is that huge compared to Daisy, certainly more volume of product and sales, but still nowhere near as big as the more prominent brands that can turn huge profits...

little maggie

Not sure I agree (buying maybe, spending money? Na) as many really just want one good vape (which ofcourse imo Zion, even Milaana are a phenomenal one size fits all option)

Also not sure StickyBrick is that huge compared to Daisy, certainly more volume of product and sales, but still nowhere near as big as the more prominent brands that can turn huge profits...
I agree but those big companies took a while to grow and become established. Given how many of us who've tried the milaana and love it I don't think it makes sense to try to start over with a new vape. It won't be any easier to market than the RBT current vapes.

Shit Snacks

I agree but those big companies took a while to grow and become established. Given how many of us who've tried the milaana and love it I don't think it makes sense to try to start over with a new vape. It won't be any easier to market than the RBT current vapes.

I don't disagree, but I think his goal is for them to be easier and cheaper for him to build, then sell. These models may still be alive depending on demand, there will be supply for starters and we'll see, can always make more later if only a one off for a high price. Really it's all just a vessel for the glass/steel/mica convection heater and stem design anyway so right on they should only get even better really! Us lucky few will have the full original line

RastaBuddhaTao

Manufacturer
Good evening all. I just posted in the Milaana thread which should give some insight into questions here. Agreed the first step is Milaana and Zion production outpacing demand. After that we will see how things progress. Our market adoption curves suggest that the planned volume of Milaana and Zion will last into 2018 and by then new and improved designs will be ready. New models are required to stay ahead of copycats and competition as this is a fast and cut-throat industry. Limited edition runs allows for a unique competitive advantage in a niche industry. One additional point is that some very popular well marketed vapes have low sales volumes that is just the nature of the industry. You have to have superior value if you expect to survive.

Steps to improve the magnet adhesion in the existing design are still not giving a robust enough hold. At this juncture we are investigating using a longer magnet. This will require that the existing doors be scraped and thicker ones fabricated.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Screwed-in magnets like the Sticky Brick?
I've seen this work well in other applications too.
Of course there may not be room in that little space.

If the magnet were a little 'nub' that protruded slightly, the other magnet could be slightly recessed and the two would provide an additional mechanical interface, preventing the cap from 'sliding' sideways off the unit?

Apologies if this has been suggested or considered already, long thread/short memory!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I vote for weaker magnets. No need to use the fancy super strong neodymium ones as we really don't need much force.

Can't you source like wafer-thin ones? Maybe 1mm or less would do?

Don't know if those would work, they are 1mm x 8mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50p...Reborn-Fridge-NdFeB-Magnetic/32763725937.html

Those are 0.5mm x 2mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Rar...dia-x-0-5mm-N35-Craft-Fridge/32595698682.html

And those 0.5mm x 5mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/200...magnet-Operating-temperature/32621017225.html

If that's not enough, you could have one side of the pair be a magnet and the other side be just some ferrous metal disc, this should in theory halve the force.

PS: for those wanting to say something about their Chinese origin, well there's no way around that as most of the world production for rare earths is there...

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I would like to add that even on top brands like Joyetech, magnets do come loose. On my evic VTC mini box-mod I already had to re-glue them twice, and it's metal on metal...

KeroZen,
Reactions: vapen00b

grokit

well-worn member
edit: ^ Or a metal plate in the door :hmm:

I have seen magnet closure systems like on the zion with the magnets completely embedded in the material so you can't see them. I think these magnets are typically embedded into a molded/cast polymer, but I don't see why there couldn't be a mixture of sawdust and gorilla glue or some other kind of wood filler hiding the magnets into the zion pieces. I don't think it would take much additional labor, just pound them into a deeper hole with a punch, add the filler and compress it into an indent while it's still soft. As was previously suggested, there could be indents and protrusions to help the user guide the pieces into place.

Last edited:

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
I am curious for an update from those who have both the Zion and the Mi. Which do you use more? Does each fill a niche or do you find yourself just grabbing one over the other?

Having expected the Zion initially over a year ago, I am glad the RBT is benefitting from all of the knowledge he gained in making the Mi come alive in order to make the Zion an even better vape.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Personally I like them both very much, but I reach for the Zion first. The fact that I can set a power level and not have to feather the button makes it easier and allows me to use it more "mindlessly" without concern about combustion. Not that the Mi is difficult to use, it is not, but it require a bit more attention than the Zion.

Did I say I love them both? :)

Gobble gobble, everyone...

Just wanted to add that by Zion is beta and my Milaana is very early production, so both are better vapes now than even mine are, and mine still rule the roost.

Honestly, y'all NEED one or both of these. :)

Shit Snacks

I am curious for an update from those who have both the Zion and the Mi. Which do you use more? Does each fill a niche or do you find yourself just grabbing one over the other?

Having expected the Zion initially over a year ago, I am glad the RBT is benefitting from all of the knowledge he gained in making the Mi come alive in order to make the Zion an even better vape.

Yeah I'm still back on Zion, love Milaana and its convenience is great, but Zion just outperforms it with more control etc. I even just brought Zion into a movie theater like I've done with Mi, sure it's bigger but being able to set the dial low and go to town for a while is pretty great, stealth too

fluffhead

Recovering Idealist
This is all great to hear. While the Mi has chilled me out on waiting for the Zion, I'm still excited to get this beauty. I imagine this will end up being my daily driver. I guess I'll just have to buy a vapcap tomorrow during the sale to keep me occupied while I wait.

Now, what is this VAS thing I keep hearing about? :cool:

b0

Cloudy...
This is all great to hear. While the Mi has chilled me out on waiting for the Zion, I'm still excited to get this beauty. I imagine this will end up being my daily driver. I guess I'll just have to buy a vapcap tomorrow during the sale to keep me occupied while I wait.

Now, what is this VAS thing I keep hearing about? :cool:

Look at my signature, I haven't tried a lot of vapes like other members in this forum but from the ones I have tried, both Milaana and Omnivap (vapcap) are on my top 3 for sure!

The way I see it, Zion is gonna be my portable EVO. Milaana it's really close, for my first 2 weeks with her I didn't even use my EVO (crazynes!). The Zion with the dial remembers me my VXL 100% and if it performs like Mi but regulated... Can't wait for it :rockon:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
There are great things to come from @RastaBuddhaTao! The Zion is well worth the wait. My Logi (Zion) is my main squeeze and the preferred vape in the house currently. "I Don't always vape flowers, but when I do it's in my Zion" (insert most interesting man in the world voice)!
Pmn9npX.jpg[IMG]

Top Bottom