Multi-brand Xmax V2 Vaporizer (also Atmos Astra)

Pepus

Bought one of these through Alibaba a month or two ago and am still shocked at how well it works and how solid it feels. I've been mostly using it with the portable bubbler that comes with the VC35, which I bought by itself. Great combo and this is now my goto beginner vape suggestion. I have a couple units I still prefer, but you cannot beat the Xmax for the price.

For anyone looking at picking one up, get the water pipe adapter mouthpiece. It works well for hooking up to 14mm glass, obviously, but it also works perfectly well as a glass mouthpiece.
Please could you give us the link to the bubbler you mentioned? Thanks a lot!

Pepus,

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Got an email from PuffItUp for the X-Max V2 Pro for $79.99 with an additional 20% off with coupon code V2. Free 4 part aluminum grinder and free shipping. This is the new version with the 5 minute shut off.

DocGonzo

Please could you give us the link to the bubbler you
mentioned? Thanks a lot!

It's the bubbler that comes with the VC35 vape here, http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...0261597214.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.grTlXJ. Not used the vaporizer, itself, but the bubbler works very well. When I got mine, I paid less than $10 a piece. Just message them on Alibaba and they should be able to give you a quote for just the bubbler. Consider picking up a couple at once, though, because the shipping costs more than the glass.

DocGonzo,
Reactions: Pepus

His_Highness

Ordered from PIU and knowing Randy/PIU I expect it to arrive in a day or two. I bought the X-max V2 Pro because:
- I wanted a stronger backup vape for my Solo. I have the MFLB and I love the way it hides in my hand when I'm out and about but its not really what I'm looking to use around the house.
- The pen style looks just like my neighbor's larger e-cig which she only uses for tobacco. Someday I'll hit this thing where my neighbor can see and can't wait to see the reaction. Maybe the next block party.
- The price was definitely a key factor in conjunction with the reviews in this thread. Implies this is a decent deal for the price.
- Replaceable battery!

After I've had a chance to ISO soak the mouthpiece, burn it in to relieve the residual smell and any off-gases I'll know for myself whether it's worth it to get more batteries and the glass mouthpiece. Based on this thread I believe I will be the proud owner of either the Samsung 25r's or the Sony VTC5's.

QUESTIONS:
- Anyone have a preference between Samsung 25r's (2500 mAH) or the Sony VTC5's (2600 mAH? A lot of fakes out there according to Amazon.
- If I buy a set of 2 batts for a total of 3 - Could I just charge a battery overnight in the X-max so I always have two waiting in the wings or should I buy another charger? I'm expecting the Solo to remain my daily driver and just want to be ready for taking the x-max out for the backup or a night on the town without the MFLB.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ordered from PIU and knowing Randy/PIU I expect it to arrive in a day or two. I bought the X-max V2 Pro because:
- I wanted a stronger backup vape for my Solo. I have the MFLB and I love the way it hides in my hand when I'm out and about but its not really what I'm looking to use around the house.
- The pen style looks just like my neighbor's larger e-cig which she only uses for tobacco. Someday I'll hit this thing where my neighbor can see and can't wait to see the reaction. Maybe the next block party.
- The price was definitely a key factor in conjunction with the reviews in this thread. Implies this is a decent deal for the price.
- Replaceable battery!

After I've had a chance to ISO soak the mouthpiece, burn it in to relieve the residual smell and any off-gases I'll know for myself whether it's worth it to get more batteries and the glass mouthpiece. Based on this thread I believe I will be the proud owner of either the Samsung 25r's or the Sony VTC5's.

QUESTIONS:
- Anyone have a preference between Samsung 25r's (2500 mAH) or the Sony VTC5's (2600 mAH? A lot of fakes out there according to Amazon.
- If I buy a set of 2 batts for a total of 3 - Could I just charge a battery overnight in the X-max so I always have two waiting in the wings or should I buy another charger? I'm expecting the Solo to remain my daily driver and just want to be ready for taking the x-max out for the backup or a night on the town without the MFLB.

I had the nitecore i2 from my Solo and only charged my batts in there, almost never in the xmax. Only $11on amazon and now that I sold my Air and rarely use the xmax, it is serving my Zion and its batteries very well. Nice to have

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: tripwire

His_Highness

Mods - Sorry for the back to back post but the edit button wasn't available.

Got my X-max V2 Pro and put it through the same initial sequence I put all my vapes through.
- Read the instructions
- Charged the battery before doing anything else. This was a 'topping off' not a full charge. When I plugged in the USB the battery indicator was white which tells me it was already well charged. It charged/topped off for approximately an hour before the white light went out. I let it sit on the USB another 30 minutes but I doubt it did anything since the white light went out.
- Did 6 burn-offs at max temp. before recharging and each session lasted exactly 5 minutes. Just to be clear the timer didn't start when it was just turned on. The timer only started when I selected a temp and heated the oven. It didn't need to be recharged after the 6th sessions as it wasn't shutting off. Some sessions where back to back. Here's what I noticed:
--> First burn-off: Battery indicator was white/well charged. It took 90 seconds to reach max temp and stop blinking. This sucker was HOT at the 5 minute mark. Not warm. I'm talking really hot. Just shy of too hot to handle. The smell coming off the unit was strong. Not sure if the smell was coming from the silicon mouthpiece or internal.

--> Second burn-off: Battery indicator was white/well charged. It remembered the temp I was using the last session when I held the button in. This time it took 60 seconds to reach max temp not 90. Smell still strong and really hot to the touch. Could still hold it but it was not comfortable.

--> Third burn-off: Battery indicator was green/med. charged. The unit was still hot and after turning it on the button was not as responsive. Had to use the buttons an extra time or two to get it to register. Took 50 seconds to reach max temp not 60. Smell still noticeable and still really hot to the touch.

--> Fourth burn-off: Let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was green/med. charged. After turning it on the buttons were working fine this time. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Fifth burn-off: Let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was red/low. Buttons were working fine this time. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Sixth burn-off: Didn't let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was red/low. Buttons were not responding well again. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Turned it on briefly twice after the above just to see if it was low enough on the battery to turn off and it didn't so I don't know how much juice is still left in there.

After a full recharge I'll do a another review with some actual vaping.

Summary: My experience is that rechargeable batteries get stronger after the first few times charged completely so I am expecting the unit to get stronger per charge. So 6 sessions at the highest temp per charge is likely the low end and already acceptable to me. Besides, I'll be picking up some better recommended batteries. The smell is also something I am reserving judgement on till I soak the mouthpiece in ISO and then do another burn-off. As far as the heat coming off this baby...even with back to back high heat sessions I can hold it but its not comfortable. The buttons being unresponsive when the unit is really hot is a concern though. In order to get the unit to start heating at session three and six I had to turn it off and try again because I couldn't get it to start heating when holding the button in initially. Being that I'm new to the vape I'm also reserving judgement on the button experience too although I didn't play with it buzzed I may have done something out of sequence.

I've read the thread and did see one mention of a button issue. Anyone have a similar experience button wise or hot to the touch wise?

Shit Snacks

Mods - Sorry for the back to back post but the edit button wasn't available.

Got my X-max V2 Pro and put it through the same initial sequence I put all my vapes through.
- Read the instructions
- Charged the battery before doing anything else. This was a 'topping off' not a full charge. When I plugged in the USB the battery indicator was white which tells me it was already well charged. It charged/topped off for approximately an hour before the white light went out. I let it sit on the USB another 30 minutes but I doubt it did anything since the white light went out.
- Did 6 burn-offs at max temp. before recharging and each session lasted exactly 5 minutes. Just to be clear the timer didn't start when it was just turned on. The timer only started when I selected a temp and heated the oven. It didn't need to be recharged after the 6th sessions as it wasn't shutting off. Some sessions where back to back. Here's what I noticed:
--> First burn-off: Battery indicator was white/well charged. It took 90 seconds to reach max temp and stop blinking. This sucker was HOT at the 5 minute mark. Not warm. I'm talking really hot. Just shy of too hot to handle. The smell coming off the unit was strong. Not sure if the smell was coming from the silicon mouthpiece or internal.

--> Second burn-off: Battery indicator was white/well charged. It remembered the temp I was using the last session when I held the button in. This time it took 60 seconds to reach max temp not 90. Smell still strong and really hot to the touch. Could still hold it but it was not comfortable.

--> Third burn-off: Battery indicator was green/med. charged. The unit was still hot and after turning it on the button was not as responsive. Had to use the buttons an extra time or two to get it to register. Took 50 seconds to reach max temp not 60. Smell still noticeable and still really hot to the touch.

--> Fourth burn-off: Let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was green/med. charged. After turning it on the buttons were working fine this time. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Fifth burn-off: Let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was red/low. Buttons were working fine this time. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Sixth burn-off: Didn't let it cool down before starting this session. Battery indicator was red/low. Buttons were not responding well again. Smell still noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.

--> Turned it on briefly twice after the above just to see if it was low enough on the battery to turn off and it didn't so I don't know how much juice is still left in there.

After a full recharge I'll do a another review with some actual vaping.

Summary: My experience is that rechargeable batteries get stronger after the first few times charged completely so I am expecting the unit to get stronger per charge. So 6 sessions at the highest temp per charge is likely the low end and already acceptable to me. Besides, I'll be picking up some better recommended batteries. The smell is also something I am reserving judgement on till I soak the mouthpiece in ISO and then do another burn-off. As far as the heat coming off this baby...even with back to back high heat sessions I can hold it but its not comfortable. The buttons being unresponsive when the unit is really hot is a concern though. In order to get the unit to start heating at session three and six I had to turn it off and try again because I couldn't get it to start heating when holding the button in initially. Being that I'm new to the vape I'm also reserving judgement on the button experience too although I didn't play with it buzzed I may have done something out of sequence.

I've read the thread and did see one mention of a button issue. Anyone have a similar experience button wise or hot to the touch wise?

You should have the new button sequencing though right? Tap 3 on, hold to cycle temps? Never had a problem with mine of that version.

And regarding smell and heat, been discussed but these are two weak spots, but staying under the highest temp helps, and smell does take a while to burn in here like in FM and Imag. Heatwise did it come with the sleeve?

Shit Snacks,

seilogeo

I received the pro version yesterday. I did only 2 burnoffs , didnt have the patience for more.
I also took the glass mouthpiece .
Comparing with imag + it is becoming hotter for sure, but you can hold it .
I believe the imag have a part in the middle that stop the temp to go lower on the battery, the xmax doesnt have something similar.
Surprisingly I checked the battery after a session and it isnt so hot as the exterior. I also bought a samsung 25R and a LG DBHE2 BOTH with 35 amps discharge which I recommend.
The smell is ok for me at least .I think the imag has a better taste.

Overall, It is very light and the airflow with the glass mouthpiece is great

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I received the pro version yesterday. I did only 2 burnoffs , didnt have the patience for more.
I believe the imag have a part in the middle that stop the temp to go lower on the battery, the xmax doesnt have something similar.
Surprisingly I checked the battery after a session and it isnt so hot as the exterior. I also bought a samsung 25R and a LG DBHE2 BOTH with 35 amps discharge which I recommend.

I really liked the Imag, did you have the ceramic version? I am surprised you find the taste better but you've also only done a couple burnoffs.

paytonpenn,

His_Highness

You should have the new button sequencing though right? Tap 3 on, hold to cycle temps? Never had a problem with mine of that version.
And regarding smell and heat, been discussed but these are two weak spots, but staying under the highest temp helps, and smell does take a while to burn in here like in FM and Imag. Heatwise did it come with the sleeve?

Yep - Got the new button sequencing. My issue at sessions 3 and 6 with the button was after the 3 taps and the unit displaying the remaining charge and the lights turning off .... I held the button in waiting for it to display the last temp or to start cycling through the temps and nothing happened so I tried again and nothing happened. I finally turned the unit off, which worked fine and then started it again and the sequencing worked fine. I didn't get a sleeve in my kit.

Maybe the reason mine was/is smellier is because I used the silicon mouthpiece instead of the glass mouthpiece? The smell on mine was significant enough for my wife to ask 'Is something burning' when she walked by the room I was doing the burn-off in.

Shit Snacks

Yep - Got the new button sequencing. My issue at sessions 3 and 6 with the button was after the 3 taps and the unit displaying the remaining charge and the lights turning off .... I held the button in waiting for it to display the last temp or to start cycling through the temps and nothing happened so I tried again and nothing happened. I finally turned the unit off, which worked fine and then started it again and the sequencing worked fine. I didn't get a sleeve in my kit.

Maybe the reason mine was/is smellier is because I used the silicon mouthpiece instead of the glass mouthpiece? The smell on mine was significant enough for my wife to ask 'Is something burning' when she walked by the room I was doing the burn-off in.

Ah yes, ok that makes sense. It's not as high quality of a button as the one the storm I think, sometimes that can happen. But as long as you can get it off and on you're good.

I guess the sleeves aren't standard. Could be able to fine something somewhere im sure, its also probably better to allow the venting and airholes to breath though either way.

Yeah the mouthpiece definitely stinks more than the unit, fresh silicone. Soak that in ISO for several hours, long as possible. Then clean thoroughly to get rid of ISO smell, many recommend coconut milk as best neutralizer. Also better to do burn off with mouthpiece off anyhow, needs to air out

His_Highness

@Shit Snacks - Excellent advice and info! Thanks!

I'm already soaking the mouthpiece in ISO and I think your right....it's probably the mouthpiece that stunk so bad during burn-off. When I dropped it into the ISO and shook the container of ISO the smell that wafted up was the nasty smell from the burn-off. I'll let it soak awhile and in the meantime do another burn-off without it attached and see what's what. Thanks again!

seilogeo

I really liked the Imag, did you have the ceramic version? I am surprised you find the taste better but you've also only done a couple burnoffs.

I have the ceramic version of imag.
I think you are right about the smell , it is becoming better after some more sessions .

seilogeo,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I never did my full review of this vape but I can confirm that...

1) It does get too hot after about two timer sessions and not even on high settings. The cell receives a lot of heat after 3+ timer sessions. Mine has no visible polyimide tape contrary to the pictures posted earlier and it feels like all the heat is directly conducted away by the aluminium shell.

2) The taste is poor for some reason (but mine had almost no initial smell and didn't require much empty burn-ins) There hasn't been a single session yet where I said to myself "hmmmm this is yummy delicious", never ever. It always has been "meh...bland in a few hits". I get better taste out of all my other vapes.

3) Like all my conduction vapes, either you need to load the ceramic bowl fully or you need to tamp the load down to make a puck, in order to make contact with the bowl walls at all times. Failing to do that yields wispy vapor, and in this particular model the puck doesn't stay in place well... Everytime I'm getting wispy vapor, I open it and notice the puck has raised. I push it back down and production restarts.

His_Highness

I never did my full review of this vape but I can confirm that...

1) It does get too hot after about two timer sessions and not even on high settings. The cell receives a lot of heat after 3+ timer sessions. Mine has no visible polyimide tape contrary to the pictures posted earlier and it feels like all the heat is directly conducted away by the aluminium shell.

2) The taste is poor for some reason (but mine had almost no initial smell and didn't require much empty burn-ins) There hasn't been a single session yet where I said to myself "hmmmm this is yummy delicious", never ever. It always has been "meh...bland in a few hits". I get better taste out of all my other vapes.

3) Like all my conduction vapes, either you need to load the ceramic bowl fully or you need to tamp the load down to make a puck, in order to make contact with the bowl walls at all times. Failing to do that yields wispy vapor, and in this particular model the puck doesn't stay in place well... Everytime I'm getting wispy vapor, I open it and notice the puck has raised. I push it back down and production restarts.

@KeroZen - Thanks for the corroboration on #1. #2 is something I experienced last night. Similar taste experience to my MFLB (first hit was tasty, second ok, third and forward were meh) BUT I expect it to get better as the unit 'cures'. Great insight on #3. Thx!

I really, really, really want to add this vape to my rotation. Love the look, feel and functionality (when the buttons respond correctly). Next tests - vaping......

Here's the results of the second round of testing. This was the initial vape test. Once I complete the final/third round (Vaping at each temp, final smell/taste test and a combustion test) tonight I'll splice all 3 reviews together. The following begins after fully charging again and each session is 5 mins. From red/low-charge to white/high-charge and white light off took only 2.5 hours which surprised me by how quickly the charge completed.
- Two max temp burn-offs without the silicon mouthpiece. Without the mouthpiece the smell during burn-off was 90% less. YAY!
- Two MJ sessions at Med. - The mouthpiece had been soaking in ISO for 3 hours and I had washed it by hand with hot water twice in between the ISO soak. Mouthpiece still smelled and the taste of the mouthpiece was discernible but the smell and taste were about 50% less than before the ISO bath. 7 hits total. First hit was tasty but was hindered by the smell/taste of the mouthpiece. Vapor from each hit was nice and cloudy. The cloud was mid-level visually. Thought I tasted a bit of combustion but an ABV check showed no dark matter. Everything was a nice shade of dark brown.
- After the fourth session the unit would not heat up anymore. Each attempt for a fifth session was met by the red light blinking 5 times (pretty sure it wasn't 10 blinks) and the unit turning off. Not great. Maybe the battery isn't good? I charged it all night and the unit had no issues when turned on in the morning.

QUESTIONS:
- Has anyone experienced vapor or smoke coming from the vents around the oven with MJ? It was just a little when the unit was sitting untouched and heating up.
- How long do you wait after turning it on initially and the light goes out depicting battery level to turn the heat on? The first test in round 2 the unit was cool from lack of use and the button hold to heat up didn't work after the light for battery level went off. I waited a couple seconds and tried the button hold again and it worked. I didn't have to turn it off and on again to get the button to work so I'm wondering if I'm not giving it enough time between the battery indicator turning off.
- How many 5 minute sessions are you folks getting on a full charge? First/test full charge I got 6 sessions at max temp for burn-offs and there was still some juice left. Second/test full charge I only got 4.
- Has anyone experienced combustion?

Shit Snacks

@KeroZen - Thanks for the corroboration on #1. #2 is something I experienced last night. Similar taste experience to my MFLB (first hit was tasty, second ok, third and forward were meh) BUT I expect it to get better as the unit 'cures'. Great insight on #3. Thx!

I really, really, really want to add this vape to my rotation. Love the look, feel and functionality (when the buttons respond correctly). Next tests - vaping......

Here's the results of the second round of testing. This was the initial vape test. Once I complete the final/third round (Vaping at each temp, final smell/taste test and a combustion test) tonight I'll splice all 3 reviews together. The following begins after fully charging again and each session is 5 mins. From red/low-charge to white/high-charge and white light off took only 2.5 hours which surprised me by how quickly the charge completed.
- Two max temp burn-offs without the silicon mouthpiece. Without the mouthpiece the smell during burn-off was 90% less. YAY!
- Two MJ sessions at Med. - The mouthpiece had been soaking in ISO for 3 hours and I had washed it by hand with hot water twice in between the ISO soak. Mouthpiece still smelled and the taste of the mouthpiece was discernible but the smell and taste were about 50% less than before the ISO bath. 7 hits total. First hit was tasty but was hindered by the smell/taste of the mouthpiece. Vapor from each hit was nice and cloudy. The cloud was mid-level visually. Thought I tasted a bit of combustion but an ABV check showed no dark matter. Everything was a nice shade of dark brown.
- After the fourth session the unit would not heat up anymore. Each attempt for a fifth session was met by the red light blinking 5 times (pretty sure it wasn't 10 blinks) and the unit turning off. Not great. Maybe the battery isn't good? I charged it all night and the unit had no issues when turned on in the morning.

QUESTIONS:
- Has anyone experienced vapor or smoke coming from the vents around the oven with MJ? It was just a little when the unit was sitting untouched and heating up.
- How long do you wait after turning it on initially and the light goes out depicting battery level to turn the heat on? The first test in round 2 the unit was cool from lack of use and the button hold to heat up didn't work after the light for battery level went off. I waited a couple seconds and tried the button hold again and it worked. I didn't have to turn it off and on again to get the button to work so I'm wondering if I'm not giving it enough time between the battery indicator turning off.
- How many 5 minute sessions are you folks getting on a full charge? First/test full charge I got 6 sessions at max temp for burn-offs and there was still some juice left. Second/test full charge I only got 4.
- Has anyone experienced combustion?

Can't speak to battery right now, or the button press (just gotta get a feel for it maybe), but don't think combustion ever reported here even from version one.

And vapor through the intake holes, that is normal, since airpath is isolated and top has more restriction with mouthpiece, of not inhaled vapor can escape since this is session conduction constantly cooking, most others of this class simple lose vapor through the mouthpiece in my experience

His_Highness

Can't speak to battery right now, or the button press (just gotta get a feel for it maybe), but don't think combustion ever reported here even from version one.

And vapor through the intake holes, that is normal, since airpath is isolated and top has more restriction with mouthpiece, of not inhaled vapor can escape since this is session conduction constantly cooking, most others of this class simple lose vapor through the mouthpiece in my experience

Fantastic! Thanks for the insight! I really appreciate you combustion fuckers and your knowledge sharing. With your help and others I'm going to master this thing and add it to my line-up. I think it will fit nicely between my MFLB and my Solo.

DocGonzo

I don't wait at all to start it heating after the initial three presses. I do three presses and then pretty much right away hold the button down to start cycling temps. I've never had a problem with it recognizing the held press, but I have messed up the three presses to start before and gotten the blinking red light. That's usually just from rushing too much, though.

His_Highness

@DocGonzo - Thanks for the perspective! I'm finding that if I wait a few seconds after the battery light indicator goes off it recognizes the button-hold for temp but if I jump right on it after the battery light indicator goes off it's a hit or miss.

His_Highness,

His_Highness

Here's the combined test experience. Added the third round/final testing.

First round of Testing (Initial Experience, Burn-off and Basic Functionality)
- Topped battery off.
- 6 burn-offs at max temp before recharging. Sessions lasted 5 minutes. 5 min timer starts when temp chosen/oven heating. Still had juice after 6th session. Some sessions back to back:
--> First burn-off: Battery indicator white/well charged. 90 seconds to reach max temp. Unit was really HOT at the 5 minute mark. Just shy of too hot to handle. The smell coming off the unit was strong.
--> Second burn-off: Battery indicator white/well charged. It remembered the temp I was using the last session. Took 60 seconds to reach max temp. Smell still strong and really hot to the touch.
--> Third burn-off: Battery indicator green/med. charged. Unit was still hot and after turning it on the button was not as responsive. Had to use the buttons an extra time to register. 50 seconds to max temp. Smell noticeable and really hot to the touch.
--> Fourth burn-off: Let it cool down first. Battery indicator green/med. charged. After turning it on the buttons were working fine this time. Smell is noticeable and at the 5 minute mark really hot.
--> Fifth burn-off: Let it cool down first. Battery indicator red/low. Buttons were working fine this time. Smell still noticeable and at 5 minute mark really hot to the touch.
--> Sixth burn-off: Didn't let it cool down. Battery indicator red/low. Buttons were not responding again. Smell still noticeable and at 5 minute mark hot to the touch.
--> Turned it on briefly twice to see if it was low enough on the battery to turn off but there was juice left.

Summary: 6 sessions at the highest temp is likely the low end and already acceptable to me. As far as the heat coming off this baby...even with back to back high heat sessions I can hold it but its not comfortable. In order to get the unit to start heating at session three and six I had to turn it off and try again.

Second Round of Testing (Initial Smell, Taste, First Vaporizing after Initial Unit Prep)
This was the initial vape test. The following begins after fully charging and each session is 5 mins. From red/low-charge to white/high-charge and white light off took only 2.5 hours which surprised me by how quickly the charge completed.
- Two MJ sessions at Med. - The mouthpiece had been soaking in ISO for 3 hours and I had washed it by hand with hot water twice in between the ISO soak. Mouthpiece still smelled and the taste of the mouthpiece was discernible but the smell and taste were about 50% less than before the ISO bath. 7 hits total. First hit was tasty but was hindered by the smell/taste of the mouthpiece. Vapor from each hit was nice and cloudy. The cloud was mid-level visually. Thought I tasted a bit of combustion but an ABV check showed no ash. Everything was a nice shade of dark brown.
- After the fourth session the unit would not heat up anymore. Each attempt for a fifth session was met by the red light blinking 5 times (pretty sure it wasn't 10 blinks) and the unit turning off.
QUESTIONS:
- Vapor or smoke coming from the vents around the oven with MJ. It was just a little when the unit was sitting untouched and heating up. Answer: Yes, the isolated air path and greater restriction at the mouthpiece causes a tiny bit of vapor to escape via the side vents when vapor is produced and is not being inhaled. Normal and not an issue.
- How long do you wait after turning it on and battery level light goes out? The first test in round 2 the unit was cool and the button hold to heat up didn't work after the light for battery level went off. I waited a couple seconds and tried the button hold again and it worked. I didn't have to turn it off and on to get the button to work. Answer: The button strength may be a weak point. My experience is not common.
- How many 5 minute sessions are you folks getting on a full charge? First/test full charge I got 6 sessions at max temp for burn-offs and there was still some juice left. Second/test full charge I only got 4. Answer: The 6+ sessions at 5 minutes in the first round of testing versus the 4 sessions from the second round testing is likely due to testing with the mouthpiece off in session 2 causing the unit to work harder to keep the heat level as heat escapes through the top with no mouthpiece. Will know more about this via round 3.
- Has anyone experienced combustion? Answer: No

Third and Final Round of Testing (Normal Use Test)
Fully charged, fully filled with herb (light tamp down): Worked unit by hitting at each level, turning off and on as I see fit after 4 full 5 minute sessions.
- Each temp level performed well. Highest temp level doesn't cause combustion.
- Taste/Smell - Average to Good compared to the MFLB/Solo. Burn-offs rid the unit smell due to electrical components. Mouthpiece is the issue with smell/taste. After 3 hours of giving the mouthpiece an ISO bath with several hot water rinses where the ISO itself was replaced, mouthpiece smell/taste is barely there. The tastiness of the herb is coming through better than the MFLB and just below the Solo. Subsequent hits are smooth and much better than the MFLB but not quite as good as the Solo. Vapor draw heat didn't become uncomfortable for me till the highest temp. Average to good clouds.
- Herb Efficiency - Equivalent to MFLB and Solo. No complaints. ABV is dark brown and is even throughout.
- Learning Curve - I got used to the buttons quickly. Note: I've seen references to how the lights work when heating being backwards. Mine blinks when heating and goes solid after reaching the desired temp like the Solo.
- Functionality - Once filled the X-Max V2 Pro is one convenient unit to use and I would rate this aspect higher than my Solo/MFLB. Cleaning and filling requires more effort than the MFLB/Solo but isn't bad at all. Once the reclaim starts in earnest its obvious it will require more attention/effort to keep clear. The inconsistency of the button response is concerning and the button does feel like a weak link. I can make the unit work as required 100% of the time IF I count off 5 seconds after the battery indicator goes off before trying to heat the unit. Since I can make the button consistently work now I'll have to allow time, heat and use to write the end of this chapter.
- Battery Charge - Using the USB it took 2.5 hours to charge to full. Not sure if this is specific to my unit and the battery that came with it. I was able to verify that with the mouthpiece in I'm getting 6 full 5 minutes sessions again per charge instead of the 4 sessions when the mouthpiece is off and not keeping the heat in.
- Heat to Touch - When using the unit as I would normally (at Medium or Lower) the heat is not an issue for me.
- Air Flow/Draw - I followed the advice to 'tamp down' when packing but not too much. I would say the draw is better than the Solo and just a tad harder than the MFLB. I would rate this area excellent.
- Unit Quality - Feels solid except for the button. The tiny bit of vapor that comes out the oven vent as its heating up and not being hit IS A PLUS for me. Tells me to hit it because the leak occurs for me just before the temp I'm aiming for has been reached. So I know I'm going to get vapor even though the temp light is still blinking. To me this is a plus when 5 minute sessions are all you get since I can start drawing sooner confidently.
- External Herb Smell When Vaping - Minimal, hardly noticeable, but not time tested.
- I don't do wax, oils, etc.

Final Summary: I have come to appreciate the unit in a short time once I started using the unit as I normally would. My early testing left me leery. I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from mastering the unit. Last night I had the choice of reaching for the Solo or the X-max and I chose the X-max because it was loaded and all I wanted was a quick 2 hits. Very convenient to just pick up the unit, click, hold and hit. Would I recommend the unit as a daily driver? At this point I can't in good conscience compared to the Solo. If the unit holds up to the test of time I could see recommending it as a great starter vape for daily driving at a lower price point. You gotta pass the test first though.:rockon:

Here's where the unit fits in for me:
- Backup daily driver.
- Load and Go unit for out in the open use. I think the unit could pass as a cheap, large, starter e-cig cigar/pen but I wouldn't press it for close scrutiny.

I'm glad I got it. I've fallen in love but I'm not sure it's a long term relationship.

Disclaimer - You're mileage WILL vary.

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Here's the combined test experience. Added the third round/final testing.

First round of Testing (Initial Experience, Burn-off and Basic Functionality)

Second Round of Testing (Initial Smell, Taste, First Vaporizing after Initial Unit Prep)

Third and Final Round of Testing (Normal Use Test)
Fully charged, fully filled with herb (light tamp down): Worked unit by hitting at each level, turning off and on as I see fit after 4 full 5 minute sessions.
- Each temp level performed well. Highest temp level doesn't cause combustion.
- Taste/Smell - Average to Good compared to the MFLB/Solo. Burn-offs rid the unit smell due to electrical components. Mouthpiece is the issue with smell/taste. After 3 hours of giving the mouthpiece an ISO bath with several hot water rinses where the ISO itself was replaced, mouthpiece smell/taste is barely there. The tastiness of the herb is coming through better than the MFLB and just below the Solo. Subsequent hits are smooth and much better than the MFLB but not quite as good as the Solo. Vapor draw heat didn't become uncomfortable for me till the highest temp. Average to good clouds.
- Herb Efficiency - Equivalent to MFLB and Solo. No complaints. ABV is dark brown and is even throughout.
- Learning Curve - I got used to the buttons quickly. Note: I've seen references to how the lights work when heating being backwards. Mine blinks when heating and goes solid after reaching the desired temp like the Solo.
- Functionality - Once filled the X-Max V2 Pro is one convenient unit to use and I would rate this aspect higher than my Solo/MFLB. Cleaning and filling requires more effort than the MFLB/Solo but isn't bad at all. Once the reclaim starts in earnest its obvious it will require more attention/effort to keep clear. The inconsistency of the button response is concerning and the button does feel like a weak link. I can make the unit work as required 100% of the time IF I count off 5 seconds after the battery indicator goes off before trying to heat the unit. Since I can make the button consistently work now I'll have to allow time, heat and use to write the end of this chapter.
- Battery Charge - Using the USB it took 2.5 hours to charge to full. Not sure if this is specific to my unit and the battery that came with it. I was able to verify that with the mouthpiece in I'm getting 6 full 5 minutes sessions again per charge instead of the 4 sessions when the mouthpiece is off and not keeping the heat in.
- Heat to Touch - When using the unit as I would normally (at Medium or Lower) the heat is not an issue for me.
- Air Flow/Draw - I followed the advice to 'tamp down' when packing but not too much. I would say the draw is better than the Solo and just a tad harder than the MFLB. I would rate this area excellent.
- Unit Quality - Feels solid except for the button. The tiny bit of vapor that comes out the oven vent as its heating up and not being hit IS A PLUS for me. Tells me to hit it because the leak occurs for me just before the temp I'm aiming for has been reached. So I know I'm going to get vapor even though the temp light is still blinking. To me this is a plus when 5 minute sessions are all you get since I can start drawing sooner confidently.
- External Herb Smell When Vaping - Minimal, hardly noticeable, but not time tested.
- I don't do wax, oils, etc.

Final Summary: I have come to appreciate the unit in a short time once I started using the unit as I normally would. My early testing left me leery. I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from mastering the unit. Last night I had the choice of reaching for the Solo or the X-max and I chose the X-max because it was loaded and all I wanted was a quick 2 hits. Very convenient to just pick up the unit, click, hold and hit. Would I recommend the unit as a daily driver? At this point I can't in good conscience compared to the Solo. If the unit holds up to the test of time I could see recommending it as a great starter vape for daily driving at a lower price point. You gotta pass the test first though.:rockon:

Here's where the unit fits in for me:
- Backup daily driver.
- Load and Go unit for out in the open use. I think the unit could pass as a cheap, large, starter e-cig cigar/pen but I wouldn't press it for close scrutiny.

I'm glad I got it. I've fallen in love but I'm not sure it's a long term relationship.

Disclaimer - You're mileage WILL vary.

Very nice write up!

Regarding the led light pattern, yes they changed it to flashing during heat up and solid at temp when they changed the button press sequence in the latest Pro, final version.

DocGonzo

Seems to be right in line with my opinion of the Xmax. Do I think it's one of the best vapes, without qualification? Definitely not. But, it is a solid starter unit or a good backup. For the price range that it tends to run, I think it's absolutely one of the best. I like it, which is more than I can say for most of its direct competitors.

Top Bottom