Why Cannabis in Colorado and Washington Isn't Really Legal

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
I was watching a youtube vid yesterday featuring a CNN discussion about legalization of cannabis. Someone from youtube commented that; "Pot is legal in 5 countries: India, Iran, Jamaica, Pakistan and Uruguay." He had previously made a comment about marijuana being legal in the Netherlands. He was in utter disbelief when I informed him that marijuana is NOT legal in any of those countries but merely decriminalized/tolerated.

He clearly didn't understand, so I explained the difference between legal and decriminalized/tolerated. North Korea is the ONLY country in the world where marijuana is legal. It can be possessed, smoked in public, grown, and sold in any quantity with absolutely no penalties whatever.

"But it's legal in Colorado and Washington!" Not really. You can still be arrested in Colorado if you:

1. Use in public
2. Possess more than 2 oz. More than 12 oz. is a FELONY
3. Sell without a license, a FELONY
4. Grow more than 6 plants, a FELONY
5. Possess more than 1 oz. of concentrates, more than 3 oz. is a FELONY

Washington State's laws are even more strict. This is why cannabis isn't really legal in Colorado and Washington, it's merely been decriminalized to a certain extent. It's a good start, but not full legalization.

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
It's regulated, so what? The bill was titled the regulate marijuana like alcohol act of 2012. Regulation was always a part of the plan, and the CO residents voted for that. I guess alcohol is illegal too since you can't sell it without a license and public intoxication is punishable. I really don't understand the mindset of making the perfect the enemy of the good. You must understand that years of reefer madness has affected many people, and the fact that this is law, is amazing. Once these people being to realize that Marijuana is no harm at all, then these laws will be loosened up. I hope that you are happy to see this progress like I am.

Pcpvapors

Shit new yorks had the 28 gram rule for a while an a few other East coast states have decriminalization. There's 4 cities in Michigan that passed decriminalization last November. Personally, I prefer decriminalized vs legalized.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I'm kinda glad Oregon held back and is watching things unfold right now. It would be nice if you could just go to the state run liquor store and pick up whatever you needed, and get a nice discount with your medical cannabis card. I don't like the way the DUHigh laws are shaping up. aesthyian kindly pointed out to me, and I want to apologize for being so abrasive (such an ass) at that time, that alcohol and cannabis are very different in this regard. I would be pissed to have my medicine but not be able to drive anywhere with it for fear of testing "positive" or "impaired" with a normal metabolite baseline from the previous day's consumption. Some anti cannabis nuts just want laws that will put innocent people in jail and that is wrong.

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
It's regulated, so what? The bill was titled the regulate marijuana like alcohol act of 2012. Regulation was always a part of the plan, and the CO residents voted for that. I guess alcohol is illegal too since you can't sell it without a license and public intoxication is punishable. I really don't understand the mindset of making the perfect the enemy of the good. You must understand that years of reefer madness has affected many people, and the fact that this is law, is amazing. Once these people being to realize that Marijuana is no harm at all, then these laws will be loosened up. I hope that you are happy to see this progress like I am.
I couldn't agree with you more, aesthyrian. One of my pet peeves is when people make the perfect the enemy of the good. Regulation is good and necessary, but prison sentences? I am THRILLED with the trend that Colorado and Washington have started. I guess I was just pointing out in my anal way that herb isn't truly legal anywhere...except for North Korea.

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Agreed. The felony charges are extreme to say the least and the DUID bill in CO is totally fucking stupid. 5 nanogram limit is crazy. Here is a great article that shows how wrong the 5 nanogram limit is. http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...william_breathes_3_times_over_limit_sober.php He quite for 15 hours, plus a night of sleep and was still tested at 13.5 nanograms. So I guess regular marijuana users can just, never drive?

aesthyian kindly pointed out to me, and I want to apologize for being so abrasive (such an ass) at that time, that alcohol and cannabis are very different in this regard. I would be pissed to have my medicine but not be able to drive anywhere with it for fear of testing "positive" or "impaired" with a normal metabolite baseline from the previous day's consumption. Some anti cannabis nuts just want laws that will put innocent people in jail and that is wrong.

No apologies needed :peace: it is crazy to think that you would get a DUID even if you did not consume cannabis on that day. This is a great example where legalization is actually more harmful, because when it is illegal there is no driving limit haha Frankly, I think testing for stoned drivers is crazy. They don't test for pharmaceuticals. But if you are going to set a THC blood level, use science and studies to determine that number, which is not what is happening in CO.

StayHigh.net

Youtube Vlogger/ Cannabis Activist
Great thread man thanks! If I knew the North Korean language I'd move there lmao

StayHigh.net,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The North Korean leader had the genius idea of outlawing food instead of cannabis. That way everyone is so worried about starving to death, being shot in the head, or disappeared into a gulag they don't have time to think about drugs . . .

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...

Yup baby steps, but at least they are in the right direction now! Alcohol is a privilege not a right, in the USA...

SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: ShipDit

Nunavut Tripper

Great thread man thanks! If I knew the North Korean language I'd move there lmao
I read an article a while ago (sorry no link) that said the North Koreans don't have a highly evolved cannabis culture like we have. The grow it in their backyard gardens,no special strains from the Western breeders and they grow males also and let the females go to seed. It's probably shwag for the most part.
Anyone can use it and they smoke it leaves ,and all ....no fancy vapes and bongs ,concentrates and oils.
It seems it's not a big deal with them and nobody seems to give a shit.
I often wonder if Dupont,Hearst and Anslinger had ignored it back in the 30's would it be such a big deal here today ? Or just a herb that Aunt Sally grows to help with her arthritis.

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Yeah, it seems like WA has more than a few things to work out. Colorado's marijuana industry has clear, defined rules and regulations which I think is a good thing for the business owners and the customers. Its good to know what the boundaries are so that you can operate your business without fear. This is also why I believe the feds have generally left CO alone.

aesthyrian,

goatgobaahh

Agreed. The felony charges are extreme to say the least and the DUID bill in CO is totally fucking stupid. 5 nanogram limit is crazy. Here is a great article that shows how wrong the 5 nanogram limit is. http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...william_breathes_3_times_over_limit_sober.php He quite for 15 hours, plus a night of sleep and was still tested at 13.5 nanograms. So I guess regular marijuana users can just, never drive?

No apologies needed :peace: it is crazy to think that you would get a DUID even if you did not consume cannabis on that day. This is a great example where legalization is actually more harmful, because when it is illegal there is no driving limit haha Frankly, I think testing for stoned drivers is crazy. They don't test for pharmaceuticals. But if you are going to set a THC blood level, use science and studies to determine that number, which is not what is happening in CO.

I have been giving this alot of thought lately.

If the cops suspect someone is DUI why dont they just punished them based off the fact if they can pass a sobriety test or not? It only takes a few minutes...

*here touch the end of this pen* *walk in a straight line* *stand on one leg*

Common...fucking...sense.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
What does standing on one leg have to do with being sober or driving?????? Never will understand that one!!!!

SSVUN~YAH,

goatgobaahh

What does standing on one leg have to do with being sober or driving?????? Never will understand that one!!!!

While impaired motor functions of the brain are suppressed. Personally if im really messed up I couldn't do it 1 time out of 10 times. However, if im sober I can do it at least 9 out of 10 times. I'm pretty sure I have met some people that would have trouble standing on one leg while sober though :lol:

I feel a field sobriety test would be a better alternative than getting a DUI because someone vaped 72 hours ago and are getting charged with a DUI even though they are sober.

SD_haze

I have been giving this alot of thought lately.

If the cops suspect someone is DUI why dont they just punished them based off the fact if they can pass a sobriety test or not? It only takes a few minutes...

*here touch the end of this pen* *walk in a straight line* *stand on one leg*

Common...fucking...sense.

Minute nanogram THC testing to determine DUIs definitely happens in San Diego, while it's not happening in other parts of California like the bay area up north.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...william_breathes_3_times_over_limit_sober.php He quite for 15 hours, plus a night of sleep and was still tested at 13.5 nanograms. So I guess regular marijuana users can just, never drive?

Yup :nope:

SD_haze,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
While impaired motor functions of the brain are suppressed. Personally if im really messed up I couldn't do it 1 time out of 10 times. However, if im sober I can do it at least 9 out of 10 times. I'm pretty sure I have met some people that would have trouble standing on one leg while sober though :lol:

I feel a field sobriety test would be a better alternative than getting a DUI because someone vaped 72 hours ago and are getting charged with a DUI even though they are sober.

What would you do with someone who is disabled in a wheelchair? I can't pass any of those tests.
I totally agree with the pharams...we are basically aloud to drive on those but not on mj which to me is strange. Unless I am way over medicated I can drive fine. I saw a program on one of those dateline type shows and the mmj patient was able to consume a huge amount before becoming impaired and the great fact about it is she knew it where as on other things like drugs and alcohol you don't.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
What would you do with someone who is disabled in a wheelchair? I can't pass any of those tests.
I would've assumed there are variants of the field sobriety test that would be applicable in your situation?

Mental acuity should still be easily testable with whatever count backwards in 3's from 74 kind of test they'd normally use, and for physical impairment I'd think something like the old close your eyes and touch your nose would still work?
:shrug::2c:

Frederick McGuire,

Dreamerr

You know I always laugh when they say count backwards in threes...I would have to say each number in my head and I am good in math but that is the way my mind works. Frederick you know no matter what they are going to say we are guilty or trump up charges. I have been harassed more then one time before and after becoming disabled. Cops are afraid to catch real criminals cause that is dangerous so they would rather take the safe route and make where ever you live money from tickets and such. Paper work puts money in the cops pocket in over time. It is all a win win for them and a lose lose for law abiding, ok almost, citizens.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Yeah, I'd probably count it in my head too, and I'm an accountant :ninja:
I guess someone who is smashed has no internal monologue :lol:

It's stupid how biased "drug enforcement" is against MJ...
I recall a stat that something like 80% of the DEAs budget is spent going after MJ, with only 20% going towards the real problem substances... (it might've been in The Union - anyone who hasn't seen in should check it out :tup: [if it was the union, then I guess it would be Canadas equivalent of the DEA...])

It's interesting the comparison to other meds, most have some kind of disclaimer "do not operate heavy machinery" blah blah blah, and that's the extent of it. It's left up to the patient taking the meds to act responsibly. I'd assume there's some kind of law (or it might be wrapped up under your DUI laws) against driving impaired on meds, but there doesn't seem to be any talk of prescribed nanograms of Oxy for example, or treating MJ like other meds...

I just don't understand the hypocrisy :bang:

Why can't we just base policies on science? :science:

EDIT:
It was from the union.
$400 million is spent in Canada arresting and prosecuting marijuana crimes. The total budget in Canada for all drugs is $500 million. That means four-fifths of the drug budget goes towards arresting and prosecuting marijuana users, leaving one-fifth for crack, heroin, coke, crystal meth, the date rape drug - whatever.

Dreamerr

It is more then likely the same in the United States. It is just dumb. You can be drugged up on scripts and no issue as long as you seeeeeeeeeeeeeem ok. Most who take those things are ok just like mmj users are ok. Even stoners are better than alcoholics or drug addicts. We can't win at least in the short term. I am sure we will all be long dead before this all changes.

clouded vision

do you know the difference between a drunk driver and a stoned driver? The drunk driver runs the stop sign while the stoned driver waits for it to turn green. seriously though some states have started prosecuting drivers under the influence of prescribed narcotics

clouded vision,
Reactions: Dreamerr
Top Bottom