1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite torch or lighter to use with the Vapcap?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Mr. Me2, Dec 10, 2016.

1. steama

steama Well-Known Member

The torch is exceptional and it does not run out so fast you are saying fuck this damn thing and it lasts much longer than a quad torch. Of course if a person is going to be out for awhile they could use a torch with a larger tank, like a vapman torch. I use different torches depending on the circumstances.

:2c:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    stark1, KidFated. and flotntoke like this.
  2. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

While you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, that doesn't make a different one ridiculous. Please be a little more careful with your words.

I have zero interest in owning a torch I can't determine the fuel status of. I have zero interest in refilling one every time I leave the house just to be sure it isn't too low to adequately fill the days needs. Counting on such a torch would be... ill advised.

Any torch can fail, but ALL torches run out of gas. It's critical for me to know in advance when that is going to happen. Set your own standards.

3. steama

steama Well-Known Member

A smart person may use different torches to address different situations wouldn't you agree? No one said you can only have one torch.

If 'ridiculous' hurt your feelings I am sorry for that.

4. flotntoke

flotntoke thoroughly vaped

Loving mine, too! This is my favorite of all DV lighter purchases, and one of my favorites over all. If it had a fuel window it would perfect IMO. Tank could be bigger too, but you're gonna run out eventually no matter how big it is and this one can usually keep me going for the whole day.

Different torches for different situations? UNQUESTIONABLY!!!! Especially true when out in public and needing a quicker heat for subtlety. Always have a solid triangle shaped triple jet on hand for such occasions.

Which reminds me.... been meaning to share this experience. Flew out of town recently and was TSA pre-check both ways. Had 5 jet lighters with me (some for different situations, but mostly to have enough juice without taking/buying a can of butane). 2 were in checked bag and 3 spread around my carry on. When I was coming home they kept putting my carry on back through the scanner. I thought it was because of my Mi (broken on trip :cry:, wrapped in tissues and in camera case). I was pretty tuned at the time, as we squeezed in a couple hours at a fun beer fest on way to airport. I told TSA yeah, that's my e-cig in the bottom. The guy on the scanner (who seemed a little new) kept putting it through. I was damned near shitting bricks remembering that I didn't clean my broken Mi female GonG. I had cleaned the stems, but never thought about the busted up Mi until now. Anyway, the more senior TSA guy opens my bag and pulls out my longest owned triple torch! It was a beast with a pretty big tank, butane sight glass, and lit 99% of the time it clicked (Scorch Torch Skyline in pic below, but all black). He said these jet lighters aren't allowed on flights. I just said OK and tried not to wince as he took it out and threw it in the trash. Felt lucky to get through with no more issue as I had 2 more jets, an M, a Ti Woody, and my broken Mi with 2 clean stems all in the same bag. I had thought you were allowed to carry 2 lighters on person or in carry-on bag. Checked since and NO jet lighters are allowed at all. The 2 that made it through were the inline triple jet from DV and a flattish dual jet Scorch.

[​IMG]

Hogni, fcmember, steama and 3 others like this.
  5. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Sorry to hear you got mugged by the TSA.

I believe you can fly with a jet lighter as long as it's stored in a DOT approved container and checked with baggage.

Problem is the TSA officers don't always know that and might take the lighter from you anyway.

Hogni, flotntoke, Summer and 4 others like this.
  6. grokit

grokit well-worn member

steama, Summer and GreenHopper like this.
  7. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Talking off the top of my head, I would think the lighter would have to be empty for air travel. What I would do if I wanted to take a good/favorite lighter with me is empty the lighter & take a copy of the regulation concerning lighters.

I concur!

grokit, steama, GreenHopper and 2 others like this.
  8. steama

steama Well-Known Member

When I find a torch lighter I really like I always pick-up two. I have a pair of every torch lighter I like. The reason for this is because nothing sucks more than running out of gas mid heat-up, and I don't want to feel any speed bumps by switching to, or adjusting a different torch. No need to pay attention to the fuel level because when it runs out you just grab the other twin. Badabing.

:cool:

flotntoke and grokit like this.
  9. flotntoke

Now, I've got to find me a new Scorch Torch Skyline as in pic below. Only did a quick look on Amazon, but looks like it has been upgraded to a new model. May have to pick one of those up to compare, but after the luck I had with the last one I really feel like I need to have one (or two as suggested by @steama ) in the quiver! Pretty big tank with sight glass, solid triple flame for quick heating, and reliable as any jet I've ever had. Only real downsides are its bulk, and you have to manually open/close the top.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Alexis, steama and Hogni like this.
  10. hafalump

hafalump Well-Known Member

Hey @steama , how hard is the trigger on that new dual flame from dynavap?
    I have a zico from lotus, and it is killing my thumb. Any recs for torches easy on the hands?

Alexis and steama like this.
  11. GreenHopper

I like these:

Here's my review:

I suggest buying a bunch (I got 3x). That way you can fill them all up at the same time and as they empty just grab the next one.

12. steama

steama Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed it until you said something if that means anything? So, upon checking it I would say it is a medium pull but not to the point that I would think, "Gee, that hurt!" I hope that helps. For me anyway.

As a reference torch lighter the 'Vapman Torch' being right down the middle on pull force, I would say the torch we are discussing to be very similar, if slightly more firm...it is hard to tell much difference at all.

So much subjectivity on this?

Alexis and flotntoke like this.
  13. LabPong

LabPong Well-Known Member

Just a public service announcement because I apparently have no common sense...

I had a near disaster the other day. I had just received my awaited accessory kit for my vapcap. I was cleaning out my garage and waiting for the postal delivery. Just an hour or so earlier I had used up the fluid in a torch lighter I got from a local store. So I was waiting for the kit to show up with a new lighter and then I would go down to a store later and get a can of good fluid to use with them.

Anyway....here is what happened.

While using the Vertigo triple flame lighter from the kit, it almost blew up....but luckily it did not ignite it and cause serious harm.

With dirty hands from working in the garage.... I quickly cleaned them off with some hand sanitizer gel. I grabbed my lighter about 15-20 seconds later to use with the vapcap. Holding it in my hand and ready to click the lighter on....I looked down at it and saw something very odd...it was cracking....then in about 5 more seconds it started to leak and crack everywhere on the plastic body. It was spewing all over my desk and face as I quickly threw it in a garbage can and threw it outside. I was just a mere second from igniting it.....it could of been a trip to the emergency room if I did.

The fault was from a very small amount of hand sanitizer left on one of my fingers and as it rubbed on the plastic...with in seconds...it caused the very cheap plastic to crack and shatter in place.

I know this is user error...but I just thought this should be known about with these very cheap plastic lighters. I had no idea this would happen with a simple hand sanitizer remains. I ran out an bought a different type of lighter without this kind of plastic casing. Just thought I would bring this up to you all even if it is common sense and all.....I just didnt think about it as being a possible problem at the time. I have learned now...as I am sort of germ-a-phobic and use the hand sanitizers a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :shit:

14. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Glad you're okay and avoided serious injury!!!

And thanks for the warning!

LabPong, The Beagle, Alexis and 3 others like this.
  15. tom2199

tom2199 Member

I've made the same mistake a few days ago by trying to clean my only one week old triple torch with an Iso-swab. Within mere seconds the gas was leaking out of the plastic body. Really dumb move, but hindsight is always easier than foresight I guess.

16. Ricardo

Ricardo Well-Known Member

Holy Shit! I have two of those lighters. Is it the alcohol in the gel that caused the reaction? Because I use ISO quite often to clean my vapes and the lighters are always nearby :freak:

The Beagle, Alexis, steama and 2 others like this.
  17. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Hogni, steama and flotntoke like this.
  18. flotntoke

I'd say exactly the same on my DV dual torch. Really liking it too!

Thanks @Summer ! I'd grab it but budget is too tight for a couple weeks. Too much traveling lately, and trying to head to the totality zone for solar eclipse. Hope I can still find a replacement when funds level out. I had one of my good old Chinese plastic triples out last night. Definitely did the trick, but nowhere near as classy as the Skyline!

steama, Alexis and GreenHopper like this.
  19. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

@LabPong, thank you for the worthful info. What are the ingredients of your hand sanitizer which could have reacted with the plastic of the lighter?

20. muunch

muunch hotboxing the cockpit

It's iso that messes them up. I think it eats thru whatever material the body of the lighter is made of.

Same thing happened to me. I tried using iso like a dumbass to get to sticky stuff from the sticker off the lighter. Ruined it.

Anyway I've had that triangle triple from vertigo for maybe 2 or 3 weeks now and I quite like it. I can stand it up. Can even stand my VC on top of the lighter.

If I remember someone glued a magnet to the top of a lighter... Could be done with this one. What magnet though??? - I know this is a different topic but, yeah. I quite like this lighter and between this and a single I think I'm happy with my lighter selection.

In comparison to the inline triple I feel it gives more even roasting, but maybe takes longer to heat up? I don't know. Haven't done any direct comparisons since I had to trash the inline... but they're pretty similar. I just like that this one can stand up.

21. Dynalowrider

Dynalowrider Well-Known Member

Muunch, I placed a magnet on my Vector Pyramid. Super glue might dissolve the tank on Vertigos.
    flotntoke, I have that same lighter, (pictured), but with Vector on it. Exact same lighter. It's called Urbano. At $29. 95 a little pricey, but they have a no-proof warranty. You just pay shipping, to and from. I bought mine when I smoked cigars and was working. Doc

GreenHopper, The Beagle and flotntoke like this.
  22. LabPong

LabPong Well-Known Member

62% Ethyl Alcohol IE = any hand sanitizers or rubbing alcohol compounds will do it.

cybrguy, GreenHopper and Hogni like this.
  23. StonerSloth

StonerSloth Well-Known Member

steama and flotntoke like this.
  24. GreenHopper

I'm liking the look of this triple torch:

Firebird by Colibri
    Illume Triple Torch Butane Refillable Cigar and Cigarette Lighter Transparent Black
    - $19.95

[​IMG]

It's ticking a lot of my boxes:
    • Jet lighter
    • Fuel window (really good one)
    • Tool less gas flow valve
    • Not stupid money
    • For a utilitarian style it's not fugly
    Bonus mini carabineer clip, could come in handy.

Not many reviews but they are all positive and seem genuine but you never know with Amazon.

Was looking for a UK reseller and found Amazon again:

Colibri Firebird Illume Torch Lighter (Triple-flame)- Assorted Colors - £16.99+ £4.89pp

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  25. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Wow, I LIKE that. Is that a carabiner like hook on the bottom? Nice.

Too bad it's $20, which is over my torch price line...

steama, flotntoke and GreenHopper like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors