Warm water, higher % of molecules in gas phase...

lwien

No no no, hot tap water is dirty cause stored at a temperature promoting bacteria grow.

I'm 68 years old. Been using hot tap water in my bong with my PD for about 4 years now. No problems whatsoever. Lungs in GREAT shape. Not even a cold or a cough in all that time.

lwien,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
It also depends on how your hot tap water warmer is set up. At my home I would avoid using this water for risky alimentary purpose.
My hot water balloon is large. A bunch of water @60°c surely promote bacteria and shit.
I brush my teeth under the shower and all, but I prefer to be paranoid for the stuff going into my lungs.
Seen a bunch of stuff about breathing water vapors, gotta be clean !

Imo its safer to warm it up on the good old kitchen stove if you're doing it everyday.

May not be a problem for most, but I can say for sure that the warm it yourself is bacteria free vs the tap, surely slightly contaminated

Roger D,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Well, remember that gases and vapors behave differently in high temperatures when compared to solids or other liquids. The solubility of most gases/vapors decrease in warm temperatures. Water is not a great solvent for THC in the first place, so by increasing the temperature it might very well benefit the user by maximizing the yield. I couldn't find too much on water-soluble terpenes that are normally found in marijuana, though. So that final statement you made may very well be correct. Care to expand on that a bit so we can further educate ourselves? :D

Extrapolating and hypothesizing on his statement terpenes are responsible for a lot of the flavor profiles (not flavnoids as some think) in cannabis strains along with the smell of course. The terpenes can vary from strain to strain giving them their different characteristics. Now while my water tastes different after vaping through it I don't find that it takes on a taste like the terpene found in that strain. If terpenes where truly water soluble bubble hash would all taste alike because the terpenes would wash out with the water, and bho would be lacking the tastes differentiating the strains. Unless it's solely dependent on the warm water, I don't see it being much of a risk. Most of medical benefits come from the cannabinoids anyway which are lost in appearingly minute amounts. I admitly don't like my water too warm I find it unpleasant. Although if the water is too cold it condenses more THC from the vapor and dirties your bong up quicker with reclaim.

Drxx: just quoting your post for the relevant content, not making any point directly at you :)

Puffers,

zymos

Most terpenes look like they are pretty non-polar , in other words not water soluble.

zymos,

djonkoman

No no no, hot tap water is dirty cause stored at a temperature promoting bacteria grow. Just ordered a glass bong, totally gonna try the warm water thing. Wondering what temperature would be the best

Some people here put juice or other stuff like that instead of water and drinking it after ?
depends on what system your house uses. I have to wait a while before it's warmed up

djonkoman,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
^^^^ true if you have a on demand hot water heater or a tankless water heater its no different then the cold water out of your tap. Most people have tanked systems though and it is more likely to have more sediment or mineral deposits from the tank.

@zymos exactly otherwise butane wouldn't extract them into the oil.

Puffers,

zymos

Hey Puffers, a funny coincidence- I'm actually on hold with Bosch right this second about problems with our Aquastar tankless water heater...

zymos,

Drxx

Extrapolating and hypothesizing on his statement terpenes are responsible for a lot of the flavor profiles (not flavnoids as some think) in cannabis strains along with the smell of course. The terpenes can vary from strain to strain giving them their different characteristics. Now while my water tastes different after vaping through it I don't find that it takes on a taste like the terpene found in that strain. If terpenes where truly water soluble bubble hash would all taste alike because the terpenes would wash out with the water, and bho would be lacking the tastes differentiating the strains. Unless it's solely dependent on the warm water, I don't see it being much of a risk. Most of medical benefits come from the cannabinoids anyway which are lost in appearingly minute amounts. I admitly don't like my water too warm I find it unpleasant. Although if the water is too cold it condenses more THC from the vapor and dirties your bong up quicker with reclaim.

Drxx: just quoting your post for the relevant content, not making any point directly at you :)

Excellent post, Puffers! Thanks for the terpene info. I had not seen the structure so couldn't comment on whether it was water-soluble or not.

I've yet to try vaping with any water tools because I want to maximize my vapor inhalation and avoid excess condensation. I guess it is a double edged sword- warm, irritating vapor with slight loss due to condensation vs smooth, cooler vapor with increased loss due to condensation. Maybe if herb was lower priced in my area I'd be more willing to use water tools! ;)

Drxx,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
Excellent post, Puffers! Thanks for the terpene info. I had not seen the structure so couldn't comment on whether it was water-soluble or not.
I've yet to try vaping with any water tools because I want to maximize my vapor inhalation and avoid excess condensation. I guess it is a double edged sword- warm, irritating vapor with slight loss due to condensation vs smooth, cooler vapor with increased loss due to condensation. Maybe if herb was lower priced in my area I'd be more willing to use water tools! ;)

Thanks man! You had a lot of good info yourself I hadn't thought about how properties of matter change sometimes when in different phases

I use room temp water and the loss isn't anything noticeable as far as medicating goes. I use an SSV and I do like that i am not possibly inhaling any small particulates of plant matter into my lungs. I didn't try to vapor bong for like six months after getting my ssv, the first time I tried it I regretted not starting the first day. I actually think your loss due to condensation could potentially be negated by being able to hold in a larger hit for a longer period of time giving you better absorption. I rigged up a ghetto little bong out of a water bottle and a sharpie for the draw stem and whip attachment. Not pretty but it does the job til I can get a nice one I don't want to half ass a glass purchase so it is what it is in the mean time lol. Any way I would at least try it IME it's the only way to go, I haven't had but a handful of dry hits since.

Puffers,

djonkoman

on the terpenes: after a month of only vaping with waterfiltration, I vaped without again and was blown away by the taste. trough water I only sometimes taste it(about the same as a while back when my nose was worse). s now I started taking the first flavorfull hits first before connecting it to the bong.

terpenes are active in very small amount(I think only a few molecules have to reach the sensory things in your nose), sop even if part goes away in the water when making bubblehash it would still have a taste, and since it's more concentrated as weed, it probably needs less terpenes to be at the same strength of taste as weed. and to me it seems it's generally accepted that dry-sieve is tastier as bubblehash.
and watercuring apparently removes the taste completely. (but that takes 7 days)

djonkoman,
Reactions: vape4life

vape4life

Banned for life
I tried using warm/hot water in the past, and agree that it felt much smoother. But then my ocd got the best of me and I started getting paranoid about inhaling chlorine vapour. Water is heavily chlorinated in the city I live in. Guess I could nuke filtered water in the microwave or something..

I definitely agree with djonkoman....water filters out much taste imo.

vape4life,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Vape4Life,

water filters out much taste imo.

I've experimented with a Mist Maker in order to generate cold fog...

30xbymg.jpg

...which happens to provide a good amount of filtering action while taste and aroma appeared to suffer only to a somewhat reasonable extent: there are trade-offs to be made... BE WARNED, an eventual tester will expose himself to potential health-hazard substances in case of a "leak" resulting from malfunction - the quality of such cheap exported items often translates into some seal that's not much of a seal at all, it turns out!

Yet, i still enjoy this form of water condionning applied to my cannabic vapour. Too bad my "pucks" keep failing after a short while, possibly because of geometry.

:peace:

Egzoset,

vape4life

Banned for life
Hey Egzoset, I totally remember you bringing that up in another thread. Very cool, but i'd have to wait until someone designed and made one to work specifically with a vaporizer. Might be a good business venture for someone lol I think i'd prefer mist over water anyday!!

vape4life,

zymos

What about some sort of dual path device where the vapor does not go through water, but some air DOES go through water at the same time?
What if you took a regular bong, then introduced the vapor ABOVE the water level?

Egzoset

Banned
Euh...

Sorry, remember what it's for exactly?!... :cool:

I'll need to catch up on this a little bit later i guess.

:peace:

Egzoset,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
What about some sort of dual path device where the vapor does not go through water, but some air DOES go through water at the same time?
What if you took a regular bong, then introduced the vapor ABOVE the water level?

That's an interesting thought. Although I think it might be hard to implement with a convection vape in a way that would be effective. You would be precooling and hydrating your air, then reheating the air effectively expanding the air and reducing hydration. Psychometrics show us that as air is heated it expands, the amount of grains moisture in the air doesn't change just the ratios of air to water. Hopefully that makes at least some sense to you guys. Lol

Puffers,

diebodie

For whip style vapes why not hook up the mist maker to a tube and hook that up that tube to the vape whip/tube. Maybe have some some of Gatorade cap so that negative pressure (sucking) is required to let the mist through and to prevent the goodies from going in the wrong hole. (insert sex joke here?).

diebodie,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I had a crazy idea (inspired by this post and the minivap, its possible to do that in form of addons)

DSC_0775.jpg

The 3 chambers are rotating so you can load up to 3 sessions in once.

You press the pump button and you get top fresh moisturized vapor without need to pull or draw
That would be awesome. One day, maybe

Roger D,

Egzoset

Banned
Hummm...

1st of all i find that the power cable, external resistor and ambiance LEDs complicate the task of containing potential contaminant leaks from the electronic driver. In fact, i just realized nothing else but a piezo element actually needs to make direct contact with the water (and cannabic vapour)!

So... Since i happen to appreciate "obvious" designs for our favourite type of application then my suggestion at this point would be to simply MOVE EVERYTHING OUT of the water bong EXCEPT that piezo transducer and its pair of driving wires: the rest can do its work without even causing any health concerns, from outside my sacred cannabic path...

:2c:

Egzoset,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
With all of the talk here about terpenes, I'll be pedantic and point out that it is terpenoids that are responsible for the flavour and taste, not terpenes. Terpenes are basically sap, or resin as stoners prefer. Terpenoids are modified terpenes. They are not significantly soluble in water, but are soluble in alcohol. THC is a terpenoid.

pakalolo,
Reactions: vorrange

zymos

With all of the talk here about terpenes, I'll be pedantic and point out that it is terpenoids that are responsible for the flavour and taste, not terpenes. Terpenes are basically sap, or resin as stoners prefer. Terpenoids are modified terpenes. They are not significantly soluble in water, but are soluble in alcohol. THC is a terpenoid.

Terpenes can oxidize terpenoids- are you saying actual terpenes are not found in cannabis? Because I think there is a lot of literature that goes against that.
Limonene for instance- it is a pure hydrocarbon, which makes it NOT literally a terpenoid ,and it definitely has a strong lemon smell.

I think you may be using the looser definition of the term, as in the quote below:

"Terpenes are hydrocarbons resulting from the combination of several isoprene units. Terpenoids can be thought of as modified terpenes, wherein methyl groups have been moved or removed, or oxygen atoms added. (Some authors use the term "terpene" more broadly, to include the terpenoids.) Just like terpenes, the terpenoids can be classified according to the number of isoprene units used..."

Either way, the term "terpene" is completely acceptable and chemically correct for the compounds we are talking about.

zymos,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Terpenes can oxidize terpenoids- are you saying actual terpenes are not found in cannabis? Because I think there is a lot of literature that goes against that.
Limonene for instance- it is a pure hydrocarbon, which makes it NOT literally a terpenoid ,and it definitely has a strong lemon smell.

I think you may be using the looser definition of the term, as in the quote below:

"Terpenes are hydrocarbons resulting from the combination of several isoprene units. Terpenoids can be thought of as modified terpenes, wherein methyl groups have been moved or removed, or oxygen atoms added. (Some authors use the term "terpene" more broadly, to include the terpenoids.) Just like terpenes, the terpenoids can be classified according to the number of isoprene units used..."

Either way, the term "terpene" is completely acceptable and chemically correct for the compounds we are talking about.

No, you are using the looser term. Check it yourself. The correct term for what you have been discussing is terpenoids.

Nowhere did I say terpenes are not found in cannabis.

pakalolo,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I just drank the water from my temporary water filter and it totally tastes like vaped dank
Not really a good taste since I totally kicked out the weed its AVB taste

So its surely removing something. You can always get it back by drinking the water. I found the vapors way less irritating that way and I still get fucking high, way higher since I can hold it more, it gets more in the bottom of my lungs and I can take a lot more in a row. So when I'm gonna get my bong I'm gonna water filter almost all the time.

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
I just drank the water from my temporary water filter and it totally tastes like vaped dank
Not really a good taste since I totally kicked out the weed its AVB taste

So its surely removing something. You can always get it back by drinking the water. I found the vapors way less irritating that way and I still get fucking high, way higher since I can hold it more, it gets more in the bottom of my lungs and I can take a lot more in a row. So when I'm gonna get my bong I'm gonna water filter almost all the time.

Ya it definitely filters something but I find it always tastes the same I have two strains right now with very different terpenes/tepenoids :) . The taste of the vapor is very distinct between the two for the first couple hits, but not in the water.

Puffers,
Top Bottom