1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Volcano

Discussion in 'Plug-in Vaporizers' started by Volcano South, Oct 10, 2008.

1. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

Sorry @Nicola I was high when I responded last time and didn’t realize you said you had already seen the video. Yeah, the stuff that gets caught in the second chamber is not the stuff that makes you high I believe. I have mild asthma, so I value the extra filtration chamber. Even if I am losing some of the THC to that filtration, having cleaner vapor is worth it to me.

Even so though, I’m not sure that any THC really does get lost… Would any more experienced board members like to chime in?

Nicola and arb like this.
  2. arb

arb Well-Known Member

I notice a definite reduction going through water........the more water it goes through the more it loses it seems to me.

3. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

But do you find the loss worth it in terms of what you gain from the filtration?

invertedisdead and arb like this.
  4. arb

arb Well-Known Member

Well.........I took mine off the bubbler.
    Mainly the loss of flavor for me though.

5. tb42091

tb42091 Member

I thought the main advantage of obsidian vs magma was obsidian has the extra chamber to catch water so it doesn't flow back into the herb/volcano

arb and arthritisbites like this.
  6. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

Yes, and that extra chamber that provides the protection also catches more stuff before it goes into your lungs. Or did I misunderstand your question?

arb likes this.
  7. tb42091

tb42091 Member

I didn't think the extra filtration was an intended purpose - I thought it was only to keep the water from dropping down into any of the bits and pieces. Any extra filtration is probably just unavoidable as the water really does it all, filters, cools and humidifies

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018 at 8:12 AM
    arthritisbites and arb like this.
  8. Nicola

Nicola Member

Ok, i got it. It's them same video i have seen. I would buy the obsidian or clear magma beacuse of better clean, i'm afraid about using isopropilic alcool with plastic

arb and arthritisbites like this.
  9. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

I agree with you, I strongly prefer glass over plastic for the same reason

arb and Nicola like this.
  10. Tezcatlipocà

Tezcatlipocà Member

Do you guys use the S&B orange grinder?
    At first I was like "meh, I have my own uber metal XXX 4 floor grinder"
    But I've been using the orange grinder and now I dont' use my other grinder anymore. The consistency is ideal, fine enough.
    On a side note, how do you pack the material in the chamber of the easy valve? Pack it tight or loose?

11. arb

arb Well-Known Member

I like but do not use the grinder because acrylic and I pack full but loosely.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 3:10 PM
  12. tb42091

tb42091 Member

I pack loose. Gives me less bags per pack but I think a more consistent extraction.

Just ordered an 18mm vapexhale style glass piece from dhgate. Plan is similar to obsidian/magma attachment, put an o ring on the easy valve chamber nozzle, with a 14>18 adapter that fits right on the nozzle with a good seal from the o ring. Then vapexhale tube goes on that, and if it all works right I'll have my volcano pumping vapor through a piece, directly into my lungs.

Will update when the Chinese glass comes in!

13. Nicola

Nicola Member

A very good grinder. I don't use it only because it gets dirty soon, i use the slx that doesn't stick. I pack loose when i use regular chamber and tight when i use the RC.

arb likes this.
  14. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

I actually use a coffee grinder for my first grind and then the new vape fine grinder for the finish. Then GENTLY packed down. Funnily enough, I had purchased a tamping tool for my pax3 from Delta3D studios @Ratchett and I find that it’s the perfect weight if I let it gently drop onto the herb a few times. I just wish the handle was a little bit longer. It’s hard for my hands to hold it sometimes.

Does anyone else use a coffee grinder or am I alone in my insanity?

arb likes this.
  15. Stu

Stu Maconheiro Staff Member

Lots of people use coffee grinders in order to get a very fine grind. You're the first person I've heard of that re-grinds it further as the results from a coffee grinder should be almost powder-like already. But if it works for you, then that's all that matters!:tup:

:peace:

Baron23 and arb like this.
  16. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

Ok, I’m actually glad you said that because I had been scared to let it go too long in the coffee grinder for exactly the reason you mentioned, fear it would become powder. So I just pulse it a couple of times. But I kind of had the same reaction you did… Why not just do the whole thing in the coffee grinder? And on top of that, is powder really that bad? I add extra kief all the time, isn’t that powder too?

Oh, sorry about that! Now I’m even happier I ordered the obsidian, I definitely don’t want soggy weed!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 11:43 PM
    tb42091 and arb like this.
  17. Chilled

Chilled Well-Known Member

Of all the vaps I have tried, the cloud production and easy of use of the volcano won hands down. Can be so economical with your weed!

Baron23, arthritisbites and arb like this.
  18. Rollingstoned

Rollingstoned Member

Sold my Volcano yesterday, what a pain in the ass man! I went thru one bag a month, so basically i have to buy the easy valve bags 3 times a year (bullshit)
    I still have my Mighty which will aways be #1 in my books
    Also, i hate how the Volcano uses so much weed and the ABV is sooooo LIGHT

arb likes this.
  19. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

Noooo! Say it ain’t so! I love my balloons - And now with the replaceable ones you don’t have to throw out the easy valve nozzle if you don’t want to. And one balloon a month? That doesn’t sound that bad to me at all!

How fast do other people go through balloons?

Rollingstoned and arb like this.
  20. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Wow, how many fills do you think might be on the bags during that month? I don't run my Volcano hard so my bags do last a while. How many fills do you think?

As for AVB and the typical Volcano poo...it is my observation that; 1) convection vape's AVB is in general lighter than conduction vape's AVB and; 2) it is my believe that all you are seeing is residual chlorophyll (for the green) and that the plant matter is not as thoroughly oxidized as would be in say a conduction vape.

But I don't think you are leaving anything significant behind (I'm assuming here that you have tried your Cano across its operating temp range up to its top heat setting, right?). Have you ever tried to put Cano poo into another vape (or even a pipe) and see if there was anything significant left? I suspect that you will find that you really did get all of the goods out of your flower with the Volcano.

21. Rollingstoned

Rollingstoned Member

Well i did purchase my Volcano with the intent of using it daily. I did about 4 bowls a day, about 5-6 bags each bowl thats 20 fills a day
    After 1 month my bag was filthy and had holes and was leaking everytime
    My other problem was how much i had to pack, .3-.4
    I feel like i get the same high from 2 mightys
    Personally i think that there is at least 10-15% air in the baloons as well
    Its a great device dont get me wrong, just not my preference
    Also, i cant see how people can use this SOLO, i see this more of a session vape
    I will probably purchase a analog volcano since theyre selling for about 150-200 just to have at home since they do last forever

arb, Baron23 and arthritisbites like this.
  22. Mr. Gusto Himself

Mr. Gusto Himself 010003

You know, I’ve actually been putting the bottom part of the Reduced Chamber on without the Dosing Capsule for like 20-30 seconds (or however long it takes to grind/fill up a Capsule) then inserting the Capsule into the preheated bottom, twisting the lid on and running my bags.

You just can’t do this with the regular EZ Chamber without the herb just sitting there being heated (and otherwise wasted) so it’s a mega-plus for the Reducer.

But for a fact the Preheated-sink method, that you and @Baron23 are talking about is the way to go. And I find myself not having to “Preheat the Chamber” once the Volcano has been running or has been on for longer than 10 minutes. This combined with running hot air through your herb before attaching the bag is GOOD TIMES :D

arthritisbites, Baron23 and arb like this.
  23. justcametomind

justcametomind IT'S TIME!

I’d love to get some new toys to play with my beloved Volcano. But these accessories seem to me a bit of a waste of time and money. It surely adds stress to the Volcano fan, as someone pointed out, while my humble D020-D does the same jobs without the need of anything else than a full Volcano bag, with the mouthpiece on. Filtering before the balloon is overkill imho.

24. arthritisbites

arthritisbites Member

Hopefully I didn’t waste money, I guess were going to find out the hard way. Currently I put the balloon on my giant bong and use it that way, but there was some talk about the vapor being even milder because it was going through the water at the time of production versus after it was already in the balloon. I don’t know if this is real science or bologna...Any scientific types (or bologna types) want to chime in?

On a sidenote, I think I’m going to have to trade in my digital for a classic unfortunately. The automatic turn off has become a deal breaker. Not mad about it, just did not realize it would not be suitable for my needs. When I realize I need to medicate, I need to be able to medicate immediately. Having to wait 15 minutes for it to heat up properly is just not working. And I’m so sad I missed the 420 and 710 sales. I don’t know if I can wait till they come around next year to get the classic.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 10:16 AM
  25. Mr. Gusto Himself

Mr. Gusto Himself 010003

For sure running vapor through water as it is being heated is a completely different experience than filling up a bag and then puffing it through water. The difference being that the hot vapor that is going through the unit, like say a Magma, is actually raising the humidity of your hit by like twice as much (almost 100%)

As opposed to taking that vapor which has now cooled inside the bag and just making it less harsh.

stickstones, arthritisbites and arb like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors