Hippie

Gots to do the warm up first ;)

I saw a post elsewhere (sorry FC I was only reading) that mentioned different bags that interested me the other day as that's my 1 complaint about the Cano, the crinkly bags!!!!:evil:
They were saying that there were some softer oven bags you can buy to use that don't crinkle :rockon:
Unfortunately they were asking where to buy them tho as they had bought them a few years ago and were now struggling to find replacements.
So ............. can anyone point me to any of these fabled non crinkly oven bags please?

Hippie,
Reactions: arb

arthritisbites

Not sure I understand the difference between my suggestion and what you did??

Sorry about that, you said you ran the fan a bit before putting the chamber on. I didn’t do that. And then I thought you meant that you put the chamber with the bag already on it onto the volcano (after you ran the fan for a few seconds). I put the chamber without the bag on it on the volcano and turned the fan on until I saw the first wisps of vapor, then I put the bag on at that point.

I also could just be confused! :hmm:

@Nicola ha, leave it to me to ignore the instructions, then accidentally follow them! Yes, I get denser vapor and more extraction by not heating the pot/chamber while the volcano heats up.

Last edited:

tb42091

Someone told me to turn on the pump for 5 seconds, then put the chamber on for 5 seconds, then connect the bag but I've found the more herb is in the chamber the longer I have to leave it on before connecting the bag. Sometimes even 10-15 seconds for a full, slightly packed solid valve chamber before noticeable vapor comes out.

New to the site, and still fairly new to the volcano though I've used it quite a bit over the past month but I registered mainly for this thread. A little background - I switched dabbing to probably 95% of my intake 4 years ago. Finally dabbing has become too intense for me, the coughing and throat/lung stuff in the 30 seconds to few minutes after a decent dab, how much it raises my tolerance, and the fact that a lot of states are making concentrates felonies, and the anxiety it causes sometimes (even paired with CBD) - I decided to switch back to flower. Broke out the bong and immediately regretted the decision because of the combustion. After using an enail on low temps for so long it was disgusting.

I had hit a volcano when I was like 16 or 17 (10 years ago - sheesh), and it was fun but I didn't think much of it. Had whip vapes around then too and hated how they would slide off the end of the element and shatter so even though I liked the concept of vaping they never really seemed practical. I have a vapirone - vapirs first vape that blows up bags, but i got it second hand off a friend back in like 2010 and it had been stored in my friends garage for like 2 years and is in my storage unit now so its kinda nasty at this point. In the past couple years I have become much more health conscious and figured now was the time to get a volcano, as it is kind of the standard and has been since before I started toking in 05 so being in a legal state I figured CraigsList would be a good place to start.

I bought a classic off CL here in Denver for 240 about a month ago. There were cheaper, 200 was the cheapest when I was looking but only if I was willing to drive an extra hour each way - a couple weeks after I bought though one popped up for 150 :rolleyes:. But I chose it because the seller had it posted for like 2 months and had dropped the price from 400 to 275, and I figured I could use the ones listed for 200 to my advantage, so it dropped more. It came with a solid valve, and 2 barely used bags, 1 3.5ft(my preferred), 1 1.5 ft. Checked with S&B and its from 2012, the previous owner had barely used it, and I believe he was the original owner but I forgot to ask. Everything seemed very new/clean and it works perfectly! It really seems like he bought it originally, used it for like a few days as a novelty and then put it back in its box and left it for 5 years before he listed it, it even has all the replacement filters, stickers, screens, brushes etc...

I fucking love this thing. FUCK COMBUSTION!!! This whole experience solidified it. I used to smoke amongst friends and stuff but I'm done with that thanks to the Volcano and a want to start clearing my lungs out after years of combustion of herb and tobacco. I have since bought an easy valve starter kit (puffitup let me use a 15% off code so it was only 85) and an Xmax V2 Pro for a cheap on the go option, but because I'm taking a big road trip in like 9 days I haven't touched these as I have to drive through UT and ID to get to the legal states and I figured taking brand new/clean stuff is the best option to get through these states without issues. This is killing me though because I have recyclers with 14mm male joints, which supposedly fit perfectly with the easy valve and holding the solid valve on a glass piece just isn't all that great....but I have to wait to be a lil bit safer.

Up here in CO I read we have to use slightly higher temps - I usually put about .3-.5 ground finely into the solid valve chamber, with 20-50mg of CBD isolate sandwiched in the middle, and DONT push the plunger down tight. Then run it at 6.5(AM) or 7(PM) for the first bag, and shut it off, and come back and do 7.5(AM) and 8(PM) for the second bag - both 3.5 foot bags, sometimes a third if the pack is big at 8.5, but only right before bed, and then dump the AVB into a jar - eventually I'll make edibles with MCT oil and lecithin. For now I'm using the 8g of shatter I had left over from deciding I was done dabbing to eat :tup:.

For me, I'm fortunate enough to live in Denver and having been around since the beginning of rec weed here I know my way around and keep a close enough eye on deals to where I rarely pay more than 120/oz, even for bud that is up to my standards (I am anal - used to grow a lot) and I have enough of a surplus to where I'm not worried about waste or anything, however I think I'd like to try some of the dosing capsules, because right now I pack such big bowls so I don't have to repack it every time I go to hit it, but with those I could sit down and fill a bunch, even make them strain specific and put them into jars for future use with the 40 pack, and then every time I'm ready I get a fresh bag - that sounds enticing!

Okay now my real reason I'm here - I've been looking at magma industries...you guys have been talking about them recently, and eliminating the big bulky piece from the equation would be awesome. My question is, is the Obsidian really worth the extra? I could buy a red plastic magma, and a clear glass magma for clost to the same as the Obsidian - which means I could take the plastic one on the road trip so not to worry about glass while still getting the water filtration benefits, and having the glass one to come home to. Do they really leak back into the herb chamber that much that the Obsidian is worth the price of both? Also I read that someone used iso to wash out the plastic magma, and the welds dissolved and it fell apart.....is this a common thing? Does the Obsidian offer anything other than the backwash protection?

Thanks!

tl:dr - new, love my volcano....personally run the pump for 5 seconds, then leave the chamber on til visible vapor comes out and then bag it...is the obsidian worth the extra, do the magmas leak into the chamber often, and does the plastic magma fall apart with an iso wash? thanks again!:rockon:

Jack_72

Guys the temperatur control wheel of my Volcano classic is a little bit loose do you experience the same? After opening up the unit I feared it was too difficult to repair or replace loose parts of this whole construction...

Jack_72,

arthritisbites

Okay now my real reason I'm here - I've been looking at magma industries...you guys have been talking about them recently, and eliminating the big bulky piece from the equation would be awesome. My question is, is the Obsidian really worth the extra? I could buy a red plastic magma, and a clear glass magma for clost to the same as the Obsidian - which means I could take the plastic one on the road trip so not to worry about glass while still getting the water filtration benefits, and having the glass one to come home to. Do they really leak back into the herb chamber that much that the Obsidian is worth the price of both? Also I read that someone used iso to wash out the plastic magma, and the welds dissolved and it fell apart.....is this a common thing? Does the Obsidian offer anything other than the backwash protection?

The reason I decided on the obsidian over the magma is for just the issues you mentioned-I didn’t feel comfortable washing plastic with ISO, etc. And someone posted a video review on here, I’ll see if I can find it, where it shows how much junk the obsidian catches in that second chamber that the magma doesn’t. The fact it’s also glass decided it for me.

I’m #1 on the waiting list right now for the next obsidian shipment, theoretically shipping out in a few weeks according to magma industries. Can’t wait!

And welcome! I am pretty new myself but I found a truly welcoming, respectful and well educated community here.

arthritisbites,

tb42091

The reason I decided on the obsidian over the magma is for just the issues you mentioned-I didn’t feel comfortable washing plastic with ISO, etc. And someone posted a video review on here, I’ll see if I can find it, where it shows how much junk the obsidian catches in that second chamber that the magma doesn’t. The fact it’s also glass decided it for me.

I’m #1 on the waiting list right now for the next obsidian shipment, theoretically shipping out in a few weeks according to magma industries. Can’t wait!

And welcome! I am pretty new myself but I found a truly welcoming, respectful and well educated community here.
I hope you are getting it this week, they listed on their website both the glass magma and the obsidian as back in stock yesterday! Sounds like the obsidian may be the way to go...really not wanting water to blowback into the herb or worse - the 'cano itself. Will probably have to wait until after vacation to buy one though - and by then maybe more reviews and opinions will be out as this round will have been tried.

Thanks for the response and the welcoming! Looking forward to hearing how you like the obsidian!

arthritisbites

Is there any difference between doing concentrates in the volcano and dabbing? I’m a little scared of dabbing, but I’m finding I need both flower and concentrate at the same time for adequate pain control. The flower helps with the spasms, and the concentrate with the rest of the pain.

But I’m actually finding it difficult to extract everything from my concentrate when I sandwich it with flower. I get leftover wet clumps of concentrate and weed instead of everything being all dry and crispy post vape.

arthritisbites,

Baron23

Is there any difference between doing concentrates in the volcano and dabbing? I’m a little scared of dabbing, but I’m finding I need both flower and concentrate at the same time for adequate pain control. The flower helps with the spasms, and the concentrate with the rest of the pain.

But I’m actually finding it difficult to extract everything from my concentrate when I sandwich it with flower. I get leftover wet clumps of concentrate and weed instead of everything being all dry and crispy post vape.
In the Volcano I use the reduced chamber and dosing capsules to make herb/trates/herb sandwiches. Little flower, couple of dabs of trates, bit of flower on top, then 446 F on the dial of the Digit. Get two really good thick bags out of it and the flower clumping a bit (but its not wet) or not I find I got full extraction and think that trates go before the flower is done (just going by taste).

Works very well for me and it is a sedation and pain knockout punch for me.

Max the temp and see what you get, yeah?

arb

Semi shaved ape
I use the reducer chamber and dosing capsules for keif with the temperature all the way up.
Clean and very potent imo.
Oils I do on the concentrate pad in the full size chamber at max temp.
Smoothest "dabs"I have ever done,quality of product dependent of course.

arthritisbites

In the Volcano I use the reduced chamber and dosing capsules to make herb/trates/herb sandwiches. Little flower, couple of dabs of trates, bit of flower on top, then 446 F on the dial of the Digit. Get two really good thick bags out of it and the flower clumping a bit (but its not wet) or not I find I got full extraction and think that trates go before the flower is done (just going by taste).

Works very well for me and it is a sedation and pain knockout punch for me.

Max the temp and see what you get, yeah?

I use the reducer chamber and dosing capsules for keif with the temperature all the way up.
Clean and very potent imo.
Oils I do on the concentrate pad in the full size chamber at max temp.
Smoothest "dabs"I have ever done,quality of product dependent of course

Oh this is a game changer. I think I also wasn’t using enough concentrate, was a little scared of going overboard since I really don’t have any experience with concentrates.

But then I realized keif is kind of like a concentrate, I think, and I put .06g of it with every .2g flower I use. But I was only using about .02g concentrate (and wondering why I wasn’t feeling much of anything). So that’s also probably why I was having a problem. And my temperature was too low, I was at 410.

@Baron23 do you clean out the little dosing capsule or throw them out? It seems wasteful to discard them but I don’t know that I can really deal with cleaning these things out. And even if I can do it right now, I’m certainly not gonna be able to do it in the long term as the arthritis in my hands gets worse over the years. And this is obviously something I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. :myday:

Oh, and can someone please tell me what this picture is supposed to be of? :2c: When I first saw it, it looked like a sideways Charlie Brown, which I know it isn’t, but I just can’t unsee it!

arthritisbites,

tb42091

Oh this is a game changer. I think I also wasn’t using enough concentrate, was a little scared of going overboard since I really don’t have any experience with concentrates.

But then I realized keif is kind of like a concentrate, I think, and I put .06g of it with every .2g flower I use. But I was only using about .02g concentrate (and wondering why I wasn’t feeling much of anything). So that’s also probably why I was having a problem. And my temperature was too low, I was at 410.

@Baron23 do you clean out the little dosing capsule or throw them out? It seems wasteful to discard them but I don’t know that I can really deal with cleaning these things out. And even if I can do it right now, I’m certainly not gonna be able to do it in the long term as the arthritis in my hands gets worse over the years. And this is obviously something I’m going to be doing for the rest of my life. :myday:

Oh, and can someone please tell me what this picture is supposed to be of? :2c: When I first saw it, it looked like a sideways Charlie Brown, which I know it isn’t, but I just can’t unsee it!
As far as the dosing capsules go - it's your choice. I just bought a 40 pack for 14 bucks, so my plan is to keep getting them dirty until I have like 30 that need to be cleaned and then do an iso bath with all of them at once to be efficient. But at 14 bucks/40 and with arthritis it sounds like cleaning them may not be worth it over just trashing and replacing them.

So I couldn't resist and broke out the easy valve - it seems so much more efficient and the avb comes out more consistent than it did in the solid valve I think. Bought an arizer solo to take on the road trip instead because they just dropped to under 110$! Also bought the reducer and dosing capsules so I can see how they work out. Pretty happy about my new vape addiction...looking at a flowerpot next - already have the enail, so it would only be 140 to set that up.

Baron23

@Baron23 do you clean out the little dosing capsule or throw them out?

Oh, I keep running them until they just get too raggedy. I just empty and brush them out just like a bowl. I don't ISO bath them...think they are like 34 cents each or something like that, yeah. So, I just keep using the same one over and over but eventually they will get a bit deformed from handling and I toss it. I mean, these really are intended as consumable items, I believe, but I find them very easy to reuse.

Now, don't go hog wild on the amount of trates in your herb sandwich. A rice grain or BB size is plenty. Also, make sure to put a bit more herb on top than the bottom of the capsule as trates run from heat and will try to migrate upwards. I sometimes will have a little bit of reclaim on the outside of the capsule lid, but nothing that ever really goo's up anything.

Heat up your Cano to max, let it heat soak for a bit, put the chamber on the Cano and turn the fan on and let it blow for a count of three (or if you see vapor capped that mofo then! haha) and pop the bag on and fill that sucker full.

I hope this works out for you.

Cheers

arthritisbites

Oh, I keep running them until they just get too raggedy. I just empty and brush them out just like a bowl. I don't ISO bath them...think they are like 34 cents each or something like that, yeah. So, I just keep using the same one over and over but eventually they will get a bit deformed from handling and I toss it. I mean, these really are intended as consumable items, I believe, but I find them very easy to reuse.

Now, don't go hog wild on the amount of trates in your herb sandwich. A rice grain or BB size is plenty. Also, make sure to put a bit more herb on top than the bottom of the capsule as trates run from heat and will try to migrate upwards. I sometimes will have a little bit of reclaim on the outside of the capsule lid, but nothing that ever really goo's up anything.

Heat up your Cano to max, let it heat soak for a bit, put the chamber on the Cano and turn the fan on and let it blow for a count of three (or if you see vapor capped that mofo then! haha) and pop the bag on and fill that sucker full.

I hope this works out for you.

Cheers

It worked great! I just realized you gave me the same advice on the mighty as well, it worked great! Thanks again!

arthritisbites

@Baron23 Out of curiosity, as I respect your opinions, why do you use only the highest temperature instead of starting lower and stepping up the temperature that other people discuss?

Oh, and I tried cleaning out the capsule and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. It is difficult for me to get them open, but once I do the stuff pretty much just falls out, a little brush and it’s clean as a whistle. A tiny bit of dark brown stuff stuck to the outside of the cover, but not too bad. The hardest part is opening it without deforming the entire thing, but I seem mostly able to do it right now. I just placed an order for the 40 pack, so if I do need to throw them out sometimes it will be OK.

arthritisbites,

arthritisbites

Oh, is anyone else having a vapor leaking issue with the easy valve bags that are replaceable? Every time I inflate it there’s a little stream the vapor that I can see coming out the edges that doesn’t happen with the non- reusable easy valve bags

arthritisbites,

xxxCarter

hi guys, I bought a Volcano Digit yesterday

I tried it out but got only a very slight high. I wonder what I did wrong

I used 185 degrees and heated the weed 5 seconds before attaching the balloon. I did 2 balloons. this his how the weed looked afterwards (photo)

any ideas?

ds97bjvq.jpg

xxxCarter,

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
Hi, and welcome to FC :)
It works best when the whole screen surface is covered - either fill the chamber up at least half way, or cover the screen and put the liquid pad on top.
The leftovers don't get as dark brown as with other vapes...
Herb quality is another factor, i would remove seeds ;)

Nicola

hi guys, I bought a Volcano Digit yesterday

I tried it out but got only a very slight high. I wonder what I did wrong

I used 185 degrees and heated the weed 5 seconds before attaching the balloon. I did 2 balloons. this his how the weed looked afterwards (photo)

any ideas?

ds97bjvq.jpg

It's your first vapo experience? If so, take your time. The high is different from combustion. More mental, less phisical and It depends a lot on the temperature. I love temperature from 185c to 200c, but i have a friend that vapes from 200 to 230, because under 200 he doesn't reach a good high.

Vapinmofo

Make sure you have given the machine time to heat completely.
I do not have a digital but on my classic the nob stays at 6.5
I use finely ground herb normally about .10 in the easy valve chamber.
I fill a bag with good vapor in 30 seconds.
I never fill the bag more than once on .10 gram load. I just save abv and reload.

I think the key to your issue is tempature.

Vapinmofo

arthritisbites

Ok folks, I now have proof that I’m messing up something with the volcano. I’m running herb/kief/herb dosing capsules, but the herb on top stays pretty green, even at 446 degrees with a preheat. When I use the same dosing capsule setup in the mighty, at 410 degrees, everything comes out dark brown and I’m definitely getting more out of my medicine. So what am I doing wrong on the volcano?

I use the new vape fine grinder, so I know my grind is ok. I’ve tried packing loose, tight, and medium, and all have some green leftover. I can literally pick out green chunks.

I’m wondering if my herb is too wet? I went back to the regular easy valve with .25g herb (not in a dosing capsule, no kief) and I literally was scraping wet green herb off the top screen. And this was after an xl bag at 446 with preheat. So confused :hmm:

Nicola

I’m running herb/kief/herb dosing capsules, but the herb on top stays pretty green, even at 446 degrees with a preheat. When I use the same dosing capsule setup in the mighty, at 410 degrees, everything comes out dark brown

I have a crafty, and it's the same for me, but i don't think it's a problem. The abv in crafty is more dark than the abv of volcano, also if i use higher temperature in volcano, and I think that is due to mixed convection/conduction system of crafty/mighty that is different frome pure convection system of volcano. I think convection is better, more efficient, so the darker color of abv for mighty/crafty is a drawback, like a burning principle. In other portable vaporizer like pax or airvape xs, the abv in detinitely black, like burnt.

Top Bottom