Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

RGNSUP

I currently have 25g of ABV saved up and am looking to make something with it. I previously have made butter from ground up bud with the water/butter boil/simmer method and had great success. But this leaching method has me intrigued.

herbgirl - I mostly cook with coconut oil. I love it and the health benefits. But at a certain temperature, it hardens and becomes a solid. I would presume that in order to use the leaching method with coconut oil, you'd have to keep it above that temperature it solidifies.

RGNSUP,
theres a brownie mary recipe that uses equal parts vodka or grain alc, abv duff, olive oil & organic apple cider vinegar salt tu help 4 day extract
hi jeffp i meant use the brownie mary recipe with your 4 extract so don't put it in double boiler may b freezer without oil just alc i wus going tu try then dunno

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
theres a brownie mary recipe that uses equal parts vodka or grain alc, abv duff, olive oil & organic apple cider vinegar salt tu help 4 day extract

I'd be interested in that recipe - can you flesh this out step by step please? what have the results been? How do you think it would compare with the canola oil leeching method?

jeffp,
it was post 314 in this thread here Offline
2010-07-22 10:13:43 pm
JiveTurkey66
vaporist
Re: Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

This method comes courtesy of Mary Rathbun (a.k.a. Brownie Mary) and is the way i do it...

Rather than the typical 1:1 duff to oil/butter ratio, i use a 1:1:1 ratio of duff, oil/butter and stoli vodka (you can use brandy or rum if you like it sweet; everclear for greatest potency - DO NOT USE ISO), put it in a double boiler and let it simmer on the lowest heat possible for 4-6 hours.

The idea is that, the alcohol being an oxidant, allows the THC to move more easily from the plant matter to lipids in the butter/oil therefore giving you more bang for your duff (plus a nice flavor if you decide to go with the brandy). During the low slow simmer, the alcohol will evaporate and the lipids will bond within the oil/butter. Once ready, run the mix (while still warm) through a cheesecloth into a cup or bowl. Take the remaining material in the cheesecloth and squeeze out the remaining oil/butter, cover it up and let it cool.

now all that's left is making the brownies, cookies, rice krispie treats

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

chewyrails

I've made several batches of ABV brownies, all using slow-cooker and butter. The leeching method sounds very interesting. People have said that they leave the ABV in the oil for a week or ten days. Can we just put the AVB in a jar of oil as the ABV is accumulated? Can we dump small amounts in over an extended period of time and then keep it for 10 days after putting in the last bit of AVB? Or will the oldest extracted THC break down if it's left too long?

CR
:peace:

chewyrails,
most oils @ room temp go bad shortly, hav rancid smell. thats why 4 day alc extract in freezer sounds chilly gud, then u can evap down, put in baby food glass jar may b hav half teaspoon dose & bake brownies with alc soaked duff

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
if the oil is in a sealed glass bottle (with ABV) why would the oil get rancid after more than a few days? it doesn't get rancid like that in a sealed plastic bottle (sans ABV) from the store, obviously.

jeffp,
no few days seems alrite @ room temp i dont like tu keep my oil out longer few days myself prefer tu refridgerate keep em cuil i think a frozen alc extract would werk well then hav swamp h2o in freezer or fridge & eat brownies with leftover alc soaked duff in a organic brownie mix if store sells dunno with organic butter/ olive oil raw coconut oil

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
the oil may go bad faster when you start introducing foreign matter into it, as is the case with garlic infused olive oil that grows botulism.
the fridge is a viable option for oil storage, but i don't think it is needed for short term storage. cool, dark and dry will do just fine.
the rule of thumb is that if it looks or smells icky, it probably is.

the alcohol tincture being added to the brownies would be a nice way to get the power of the plant into your brownies, without the hassle of oil storage. plus the shelf life is much longer.

herbgirl,

RGNSUP

So what is the right kind of oil to use for the leaching method? What did you make to use the oil in?

RGNSUP,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
RGN, i don't think it's a matter of the 'right' oil, any fatty oil will work. Olive, canola, coconut, grapeseed, corn, hempseed, they will all work. Just not sure which one, if any are more effective at leaching out the goodies.

The resulting oil can be used in any recipe that calls for oil with the exception of sauteing or frying things. I assume the very high heat would cook out the goodies. It's all a matter of taste really i.e. i would not use extra virgin olive oil if i knew it was going to be used for cookies or something, i would use canola or coconut.

cookies and brownies seem to be at the top of the list for things to use canna oil in.

herbgirl,
max said:
The problem with olive oil, as vtac says, is that it's not a good choice for higher temps. The best oil for cooking, by far, is virgin coconut oil. It was a favorite of the baking industry until erroneous research in the 50's declared all saturated fat to be bad for heart health. In fact (and studies support it), we need saturated fat in our diet, and coconut oil (non refined or expeller pressed) has been proven to be a heart healthy oil, even more so than olive oil. Unfortunately, since the seed oil companies jumped on the crappy saturated fat research in order to fatten their pockets, the production of virgin coconut oil turned into a cottage industry, and it's only produced by a handful of companies. It is available online from quite a few sources now, as the true info has been spreading in recent years.

"When researchers looked at the fatty acid composition of the phospholipids in the T-cells (white blood cells), from both young and old donors, they found that a loss of saturated fatty acids in the lymphocytes was responsible for age-related declines in white blood cell function. They found that they could correct cellular deficiencies in palmitic acid and myristic acid by adding these saturated fatty acids.

Most Westerners consume very little myristic acid because it is provided by coconut oil and dairy fats, both of which we are told to avoid. But myristic acid is a very important fatty acid, which the body uses to stabilize many different proteins, including proteins used in the immune system and to fight tumors. This function is called myristoylation; it occurs when myristic acid is attached to the protein in a specific position where it functions usefully. For example, the body has the ability to suppress production of tumors from lung cancer cells if a certain genetically determined suppressor gene is available. This gene is called fus1 and is a protein that has been modified with covalent addition of the saturated fatty acid myristic acid. Thus, the loss of myristic acid from the diet can have unfortunate consequences, including cancer and immune system dysfunction.

How much total saturated do we need? During the 1970s, researchers from Canada found that animals fed rapeseed oil and canola oil developed heart lesions. This problem was corrected when they added saturated fat to the animals diets. On the basis of this and other research, they ultimately determined that the diet should contain at least 25 percent of fat as saturated fat. Among the food fats that they tested, the one found to have the best proportion of saturated fat was lard, the very fat we are told to avoid under all circumstances!

These are some of the complex but vital reasons we need to include palm oil, coconut oil, butter and lard in our diets."
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/import_sat_fat.html

This is as much a truth as what we know about cannabis. That it's not the harmful drug that the establishment, both medical and legal, would have us believe. My health sermon for the day. :)
about canola: studies on Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed oil were performed when the oil was first developed and have continued to the present. The results challenge not only the health claims made for canola oil, but also the theoretical underpinnings of the diet-heart hypothesis.

The first published studies on the new oil were performed in 1978 at the Unilever research facility in the Netherlands.11 The industry was naturally interested to know whether the new LEAR oil caused heart lesions in test animals. In earlier studies, animals fed high-erucic-acid rape seed oil showed growth retardation and undesirable changes in various organs, especially the heart, a discovery that touched off the so-called "erucic acid crisis" and spurred plant geneticists to develop new versions of the seed. The results of the LEAR study were mixed. http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/559-the-great-con-ola.html

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

RGNSUP

herbgirl said:
RGN, i don't think it's a matter of the 'right' oil, any fatty oil will work. Olive, canola, coconut, grapeseed, corn, hempseed, they will all work. Just not sure which one, if any are more effective at leaching out the goodies.

The resulting oil can be used in any recipe that calls for oil with the exception of sauteing or frying things. I assume the very high heat would cook out the goodies. It's all a matter of taste really i.e. i would not use extra virgin olive oil if i knew it was going to be used for cookies or something, i would use canola or coconut.

cookies and brownies seem to be at the top of the list for things to use canna oil in.

Thanks for the response. I am very interested in trying this with coconut oil. But it seems that there are different kinds like expeller pressed and raw cold pressed. The raw cold pressed is a virgin and contains most of the coconut oil and has not been exposed to any heat.

What is a good ratio of ABV to oil?

RGNSUP,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
i find with most herbs that you want the plant material to be just below the level of the solvent, but that's just me, others may have different ratios.
with all of the hullabaloo surrounding oils and their safety, i would stick to extra virgin coconut oil. expeller pressed is fine, as the amount of heat the expeller makes is minimal, i understand. you do not want 'solvent extracted' if that even exists. I have used NOW brand which says nothing about the extraction method on the label except that it is not solvent extracted. I also have a jar of nutiva organic extra virgin coconut oil that is cold pressed. i see no apparent difference between the two, but i have not used the nutiva brand yet.
seems like it is graded like olive oil, extra virgin being the first press, etc.

just make sure it stays liquid during the leaching process, my home is warm enough now that it is liquid just sitting on the counter.

good luck!

herbgirl,

gim

I 'cooked' some avb with cannoil yesterday. The smell was tremendous, it filled the entire house completely. Using two mesh screens and some cheesecloth I filtered the oil and cooled it in the fridge overnight.

Today, I didn't have much cannoil so I halved a brownie mix and used it.
I thought I didn't have much which is why I halved the mixture.

That may have been a mistake.

I cooked it at 325 for about 40 minutes. One small bite of the brownie was enough to nearly be a white knuckle experience. Good body high for hours after about 30 minutes to an hour of onset.

Next time, I won't halve the mixture as the brownies themselves are not very good.
I've still got a lot of brownies left.

gim,

Jens

i made vapor brownies for the third time yesterday, and i love them! I used the method described in the first post and had good experiences until now

But i have one question: yesterday i used 3/4 ABV, 1/4 fresh herb and some hash, i let it simmer for about 1 hr, but my oild didnt turn much darker (i used sunflower oil)

and after searching the internet, all i see as a result are (dark)brown oils.
My oil only had a slight darker shade, but the fresh herb i had used did turn brown, do you guys think this was enough to extract most of thel thc? Or should i have left it on the stove for a bit longer? Cause on the internet i've seen black herb as an endresult aswell

I did see the (very) small bubles you should see, but my stove has fixed temps and when i put it one mode higher, my oil started to sizzle way too hard, so i didn't want to risk my thc going up in vapor

only way to know for sure is to eat one ofcourse, but thats for later today :brow:

Jens,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I'm so excited I saved up 130g's of heddie abv and I've been looking for a good recipe and never thought to look here.... used 22g's to make a delicious batch of double chocolate brownies following the recipe in this thread. I cant wait the oil turned out perfect (nice dark brown) and they brownies look awesome. 20 min left on the timer....may eat a piece tonight or have one for breakfast....its been like 6 years since ive had edibles!!!

If this turns out well ive got enough abv for 4-5 more batches....score!!! Thank god I get some use out of all the shit i saved up. almost a year's worth

***UPDATE***

Cut the 8x8 pan into 9 pieces...each piece containing a little over 2 g's. Ate 2/3's of one on an empty stomach for breakfast. WOW totally awesome narcotic stone...just went to subway and the curved glass at the counter made me dizzy and ive got the worst cotton mouth ive had in years..

This recipe is awesome and for the record I strained the oil through a coffee filter and used a little less than a cup of canola oil for the simmering then i sqeezed more than 2/3's of a cup of oil out of the abv. the box recipe called for 1/3 water and 1/3 oil. when i blended the egg with the dark brown oil it turned a dark baby puke green...nice

sorry if im rambling but im stoned as fuck

JDSupreme,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
For the next batch, I was thinking about doing this oreo crunch brownie recipe:

Ingredients:Serves: 20,
Yield:
20 2020Servings Size
brownies
Update
brownies
2 cups butter
1 lb semi-sweet chocolate chips (original recipe calls for 28 oz., I feel that is too much but I will leave that up to you)
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped Oreo cookies (50 cookies)

And just sub a cup of 28g abv canola oil for a 1 of the 2 cups of butter

What do you guys think? I'm totally hooked on edibles now!!!

JDSupreme,
JDSupreme
THC Lover yub definety taste gr8 less fillin altho u have longer time to space travel, kinda paks a wallup sumtimes, dosage may b key

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
JD, Butter and oil tend to act a little different in recipes because of butter's solidity at room temp. keep that in mind when you sub out and you'll be fine.

*edit * unless the butter is mixed with the oreo crumbs like you would do for a graham cracker crust - then i personally would not use oil.

sounds yummy :)

herbgirl,

2clicker

Observer
so is the 1:1 oil to ABV ratio accurate?

just weighed my duff jar and ive got just over 33g

and im going to start reading all of this thread, but what seems to be the best oil for this? the coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil?

cant wait to try some vape brownies!

2clicker,

Fudgebox

down to broaden the horizons
i know you guys seen this plenty of times but new user, silent reader for some time now,
ive been reading alot about the debate on which method works better, im going to try out a controled batch of extraction with both methods (the heated oil method and the leeching method) but the thing is i just have a huge excess of shake (not even real buds) but i have enough to try out both methods, the question i have for all you is, with using leaf i read somewhere that 2:1 ratio is the desired number, i think i ahve roughly 1/4 pound worth of leaf that i can try out but i want to get some feedback on some more experienced users before actually conducting this experiment (i want to try to give some more light into the big debate on which method is better)

ill also add that the leaf material i have is from the same type of plants and im pretty sure i have some test lab dummies willing to do the eating test (as well as myself).

Fudgebox,

2clicker

Observer
ok im like literally about to do the brownies from the OP

i got 33g of ABV... it levels out right at 1 cup... does that seem right? 33g for one batch?

so its 1 part ABV to 1 part oil correct? I just wanna make sure i get the ABV amount right.

my recipe says calls for 1/2 cup oil and 1/3 water... i was gonna top it off with oil to 1 cup total (oil/water).

any help is appreciated :ko:

2clicker,

2clicker

Observer
wait... is the assumption correct that if your arent going to strain that you dont need to simmer the ABV and oil for an hour...

since the ABV is going in the brownies why even need to heat it with the oil at all?

2clicker,

Fudgebox

down to broaden the horizons
to 2clicker: that sounds about right (if you read the tutorial at the first page they have i think 17.3g's of ABV but the ABV still looks like they are still pretty green)

Update on self project, put 60.2 grams of shake (baked at 325 for 5 minutes) into a bottle of olive oil (not virgin) for the leeching method waiting up on the bottle to get its work on for the next week or so then ill start working on the pan method for extraction, hopefully this little test goes well.

really curious to see if there really is any difference in the two different methods

Fudgebox,
Top Bottom