Vapor Brownies (ABV Cannaoil)

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Heh heh heh, FINALLY got enough top shelf ABV saved to cook up a batch.
They are in the oven now :brow:

And the wife is being a douche (as usual) :rolleyes:

Fuck, guess I have to make 2 batches now (one without for her)
Grrrr

EDIT -
Damn it, they arent cooking fast enough. 35 mins in and the toothpick is wetttttttttt.
Then they need to cool... Looks like I might have a decent weekend :p

AGBeer,

Tuck

I did my batch this past weekend. They are okay. I could not find any schwag, so it's all abv. They are okay but not as good as previous batches. I blame the lack of schwag. It will be a while before I can make more as I have hit dry times

Tuck,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
momofthegoons said:
I've done this before, jeff, but didn't like the taste it gave the brownies. They sort of tasted burnt, and also had a very strong roach smell. That said, they were also my strongest batch.

I had bought 3 boxes of organic brownie mix from Amazon, I forgot the brand; thought I'd easily recognize it but I don't see it listed now. Has chocolate chunks in it and it requires 60 minutes for baking time. Incredibly delish and you can't taste any herb even with ichy roach bud. Think about it this way mom - even if they taste a little burnt on your end with the Betty Crocker mix, they still taste much better than firecrackers....

As an aside, regarding firecrackers, has anyone ever mashed one up in a scoop of ice cream to make it more palatable?

jeffp,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
ROFL!! UPDATE - I managed to convince the wife that it would be in her best interests to enjoy part of a brownie because of her chronic pain. She mentioned that she had already taken 3 Aleve during the day and her pain was STILL enough to make her want to come home and just 'flop on the couch'.

So, I told her to take 1/4 of one of my brownies I made last night. Sure 1/2 made me melllllllllloooooooowwwww, so I figured 1/4 would be more than enough to provide her some serious pain relief.

Boy was it... :ko: She cannot stop laughing her ass off now - in fact she said she should have taken half of what she took. I guess it doesnt help that she is watching AFV as well... :p

AGBeer,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
lol, Nice AG! I'm glad she had a good experience with the brownies :D That is awesome!

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
It was with a mixed blessing. Yes she took less (and actually had a good time) but she also started to get the paranoia that noobs tend to get with edibles. I helped keep her calm and safe - needless to say she slept like a ROCK. I think this is the first time she wasnt snoring in a long time! :ko:

AGBeer,

OC513

Dabaholic
Well I have made brownies many times in the past using the regular method of simmering the oil and ABV on low heat. I decided for Labor Day weekend I would try this vinegar/salt/leeching method. Had 3/4 cup of NYC Sour Diesel ABV........its been sitting for four days as of 6pm today....so either tonight or tomorrow the brownies will get baked and hopefully so will I and a few friends :lol:. Looking forward to trying this method....JeffP saying they were the best he ever made convinced me to stray from my tried and true recipe. I will report back after the weekend.

OC513,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey OC513, NY Diesel is the shit, isn't it? I think it's a hybrid of Sour D and Kush.
We're probably neighbors...
Looking forward to your findings on the leeching method.
Obviously there's a few variables at play here, but what I found interesting is that the high was extremely intense and long lasting but there was also a brief period
where the experience was truly psychedelic as well.

jeffp,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
OC513 said:
Well I have made brownies many times in the past using the regular method of simmering the oil and ABV on low heat. I decided for Labor Day weekend I would try this vinegar/salt/leeching method. Had 3/4 cup of NYC Sour Diesel ABV........its been sitting for four days as of 6pm today....so either tonight or tomorrow the brownies will get baked and hopefully so will I and a few friends :lol:. Looking forward to trying this method....JeffP saying they were the best he ever made convinced me to stray from my tried and true recipe. I will report back after the weekend.

I understand using vinegar, but can you tell me why salt as well? this intrigues me. I've never heard of using salt as part of any type of extraction. I'm thinking it either makes the vinegar carry the goodies better or allows the plant to release them better.

I'm currently working on watercuring some ABV with mids specifically for brownies and if this method is really that killer, i want to give it a shot.

herbgirl,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I cant exactly explain it either, but with this method my oil turned almost black. (This was from VERY uncombusted material)

I dont know 'why' it works (or appears to visually) but it most certainly does :p

Thanks for the pointer Jeff

AGBeer,

OC513

Dabaholic
jeffp said:
Hey OC513, NY Diesel is the shit, isn't it? I think it's a hybrid of Sour D and Kush.
We're probably neighbors...
Looking forward to your findings on the leeching method.
Obviously there's a few variables at play here, but what I found interesting is that the high was extremely intense and long lasting but there was also a brief period
where the experience was truly psychedelic as well.
I LOVE the NYC Sour Diesel....one of my favorites of all time. The oven is literally preheating right now and I will be making the brownies in a bit. I will post results after the weekend. I think you posted where you live once and I am not far at all.

herbgirl said:
OC513 said:

I understand using vinegar, but can you tell me why salt as well? this intrigues me. I've never heard of using salt as part of any type of extraction. I'm thinking it either makes the vinegar carry the goodies better or allows the plant to release them better.

I'm currently working on watercuring some ABV with mids specifically for brownies and if this method is really that killer, i want to give it a shot.
My guess is you understand this way more than I do.....I'm a numbers guy. I tried the salt because of others suggestions in this thread......jeffp mentioned he thought it produced the best batch he ever had.......so I figured I'd give it a whirl. I usually stick to a tried and true method similar to the original post in this thread. I am following your watercuring thread curiously......can't wait to see how it turns out.

OC513,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
About half of the bud I used for the best batch was virgin bud; albeit shake and not high end (but inexpensive).
I still think the leeching method lent itself to a more powerful experience, and yes, the vinegar and a bit of salt probably helped also - it's certainly not going to hurt the results.

jeffp,

Tuck

herbgirl said:
but can you tell me why salt as well?

I imagine it's because salt is abrasive and help get off anything "stuck" to the plant material. When I used to combust, I'd use salt when cleaning my glass to get the stuff that wouldn't come off just from soaking in alcohol for the same reason.

Tuck,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
OK, just went back and re-read this thread. I will be doing the vinegar/salt thing with my watercured ABV. unless i change my mind;)

and about the vinegar,
taken from "The Herbal Medicine Maker's Handbook" by James Green

"...it was found that for the most part pure alkaloids, which are a highly active component in many medicinal plants, are not soluble in water, but that alkaloidal salts, which are formed upon the reaction of free based alkaloids with acids, are usually quite soluble in water. The advantage of using acidic menstrua became apparent and experience proved the value of vinegar as a solvent in exhausting the drugs of this character such as Goldenseal, Lobelia, Sanguinaria and other alkaloid-containing plants"

translated to english, i think this means the vinegar chemically changes these alkaloids so that they become water soluble and thus easier to liberate from the plant material.

does cannabis have alkaloids?

i'm thinking that the salt may help draw the goodies out because of some osmotic pressure thing. more to come...

herbgirl,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Made some brownies last night using the double boiler method with great success. Used two sticks of butter to the better part of a 12 oz. caning jar full of ABV. I didn't grind it this time prior to use. I heated the butter/abv mixture in a bowl over simmering water for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally. The bowl was covered with a plate so that little could evaporate. After 3 hours, I strained the abv mixture with a potato ricer, then further strained it through a fine mesh strainer. (I strained out the abv this time, after having a bit of a problem digesting the brownies that I left the abv in) The resulting canna butter measured 1/2 cup, which is what I needed for my recipe. I used the Dassante brownie mix which covers any herb taste well. It is a dark chocolate brownie with pieces of dark chocolate in it. It made a 8x8 pan, which I cut into 12 pieces. One piece is a mellow high which gave me the best night's sleep I've had in days. The others that tried them said they were pretty high, so I think this batch might have been the most successful yet.

momofthegoons,

OC513

Dabaholic
Ok well this experiment was a rousing success.....as stated before it is hard to judge against other brown ies as there are many variables but these at least seemed to be the best. My friends and I were F&^%ed up! :brow: Some a bit too much so......needed to be helped to bed :uhoh:. I will say that this leeching/salt/vinegar method will now replace my old simmering method. The results certainly seemed to be stronger.

OC513,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Hey OC glad you like the leeching method as much as I do....
Would you agree that there is a point where you are in fact beyond "stoned" and into the realm of tripping? - (but you can sort of penetrate through that if you need to function.)
Deep, deep introspection and clarity; no less revelatory than what you might experience with mushrooms.

jeffp,

OC513

Dabaholic
jeffp said:
Hey OC glad you like the leeching method as much as I do....
Would you agree that there is a point where you are in fact beyond "stoned" and into the realm of tripping? - (but you can sort of penetrate through that if you need to function.)
Deep, deep introspection and clarity; no less revelatory than what you might experience with mushrooms.

Jeff not sure about full on hallucination kind of tripping but yes a "deeper" high than vaping or smoking....lasts a LONG time as well.......very introspective.....its actually a hell of a journey. At one point we are all sitting around talking and drinking beers and one of my friends, who is just shy of 50 and a pretty serious business man, was laughing HYSTERICALLY (I know him for 10 years and have never heard him laugh like this).....we turned to see why and he is across the room watching a Bevis & Butthead rerun, this guy would NEVER watch a show like that normally......he was literally gasping for air he was laughing so hard, which of course sent all of us into hysterics. This went on for about 30 minutes. The next day he had zero recollection of it. Very strange indeed. Everyone asked when I was making them again......told them it takes awhile to get the amount of ABV needed and if they would get off the papers & bongs and onto vapes we could have these alot more often. I must say the MF Launch Box blew them away but that is for another thread.

OC513,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Right, not full on hallucination, but cracking the cosmic egg kind of journey to the chewy caramel center kind of tripping, so to speak.
My joint smoking friends collect and save the roaches - at least one of them do - which I unravel and add to the ABV jar.
Like I posted before, when in need for more bud for brownies and you don't want to waste your fresh exotic, get a bag of shake and add to the mix.
Beavis and Butthead are amazing to watch in this state of mind; unfortunately the DVDs I've seen don't have the music videos and their commentary, just the surrounding silly
story lines.

jeffp,

OC513

Dabaholic
jeffp said:
Right, not full on hallucination, but cracking the cosmic egg kind of journey to the chewy caramel center kind of tripping, so to speak.
My joint smoking friends collect and save the roaches - at least one of them do - which I unravel and add to the ABV jar.
Like I posted before, when in need for more bud for brownies and you don't want to waste your fresh exotic, get a bag of shake and add to the mix.
Beavis and Butthead are amazing to watch in this state of mind; unfortunately the DVDs I've seen don't have the music videos and their commentary, just the surrounding silly
story lines.

Yes he caught an old Bevis & Butthead on late night TV.....was pretty hysterical. Agreed on the trip part.....it is certainly not for the uninitiated.....pretty heady stuff. I love it.

OC513,

Durden

I am Jack's title
The leeching method with the vinegar seems to be playing off the PH levels of the actives, alkaloids are basic materials in plants compared to the extreme acidity of vinegar which could cause a reaction making some components more active for ingestion. This occurs in the opposite direction during decarboxylation where the acid form of THC is converted to the the neutral delta9 that is more active and processable by your system. I'll have to look more into it, because if this works theoretically you might be able to use PH treated water to produce similar effects, which could be useful for several reasons during soakings and cleanings.

Durden,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Durden said:
The leeching method with the vinegar seems to be playing off the PH levels of the actives, alkaloids are basic materials in plants compared to the extreme acidity of vinegar which could cause a reaction making some components more active for ingestion. This occurs in the opposite direction during decarboxylation where the acid form of THC is converted to the the neutral delta9 that is more active and processable by your system. I'll have to look more into it, because if this works theoretically you might be able to use PH treated water to produce similar effects, which could be useful for several reasons during soakings and cleanings.

i would definitely be interested in the hows and whys of this. i am currently running a water curing experiment with my ABV and this would be an interesting variable for the next batch i try.

herbgirl,

abhs

hello all,

actually, i initially suggested vinegar and salt to act as a detergent. beyond that, i do not know why they would produce better results.

it may be true that mildly acidic conditions push thc into a more bioavailable form, but that is simply sofa speculation.

abhs,
Top Bottom