Vapman

vapman

Manufacturer
How do you know? Have you tried every lighter you've owned above 5,000 Feet? Given that 14 out of 50 states in the US has at least one city over that, in fact many folks live over twice that high and some of those cities are above 50,000 full time residents. Hard to imagine what they do for lighters........OF

@OF Yes, I experienced it several times and other people confirmed the same. The first time I noticed it, was about 8 years back in a Swiss village called "Saas Almagell", it is exactly on 1600m and my lighter did not work properly anymore. When my friend did a bicycle tour and went over the Gotthard pass (2100m) he could not vape up there because the lighter did not work anymore. After descending a couple of hundred meters, the lighter worked again.

Funny, I read about this test with the hammer and the plane and I was wondering back then already, what type of burner that vape must have. I would like to understand a bit more about this and may order one of these special lighters just to see how it goes. Some years back I was on the look out for such a high altitude lighter, I think, "Colibri" got one of those. Interesting!

vapman

OF

@OF Yes, I experienced it several times and other people confirmed the same.

Funny, I read about this test with the hammer and the plane and I was wondering back then already, what type of burner that vape must have. I would like to understand a bit more about this and may order one of these special lighters just to see how it goes.

I don't doubt there are reports, the idea has to start somewhere. What part of that anecdotal evidence might also be explained by temperature (say like the friend on the bike tour, how well insulated/warm was it when he tried (as opposed to back in his heated room)?

IIRC the chatter around the 'I can't use my Hammer on the ski lift like I wanted to' posts were guys that reported putting the lighter in a shirt pocket (under the jacket) until needed fixed the problem. The change is temperature, the pressure is the same in both cases?

There is nothing special about the burner in the Hammer I can see, it's the same one you get here:
http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Lenk-LSP...1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I honestly don't think it's part of some special design, I sure don't see the science behind such an idea. Perhaps the mix does get to rich in some cases? But I personally have run well over half a dozen 'cheap' lighters at over 8000 feet......and millions of smoking airplane passengers joined in a similar many years long test a while back. Nothing magic about 5000 feet I can see.

Fun to test, though......

yes Colibri has/had a high altitude lighter for camping. I own one but have never tried it above sea level.

That's the way it is, isn't it? LA is full of jacked up 4WD rides with big bucks tires that have never seen anything but pavement. And pothole free at that.

And never will.

OF

OF

Movie theatre seats always hurt my back. I dont have time for a long session before the movie starts; a couple of draws on this here Vapman will take care of that!....and away we go!

In a more civilized society they'd have reserved seats with lumbar support (hey, we do it in cars) with built in Heating Stations of course.........

Until that day, we'll have to make do as best we can. Capitalism is so cool to provide so many choices in the marketplace. I bet in Russia there's only one vape model made, almost always out of stock, and when they are available the lines are very long. And don't ask about colors.

OF

simpleasthcis

... As a box of ....
@OF Yes, I experienced it several times and other people confirmed the same. The first time I noticed it, was about 8 years back in a Swiss village called "Saas Almagell", it is exactly on 1600m and my lighter did not work properly anymore. When my friend did a bicycle tour and went over the Gotthard pass (2100m) he could not vape up there because the lighter did not work anymore. After descending a couple of hundred meters, the lighter worked again.

Funny, I read about this test with the hammer and the plane and I was wondering back then already, what type of burner that vape must have. I would like to understand a bit more about this and may order one of these special lighters just to see how it goes. Some years back I was on the look out for such a high altitude lighter, I think, "Colibri" got one of those. Interesting!

vapman
I have the same lighter as the hammer it's sold in the uk/Europe by "draper tools" I've striped it and my vapman torch apart and there's no difference bar the angled head and thumb adjuster .

It should work the other way the HIGHER you get the fewer problems you shall encounter :spliff:

:dog:Oh and I found the owner of the St. Bernard her name was TINY:dog:

OF

Can I go to the grocery store and pick up any old can of butane refill for the vapman lighter?

Sure you can, but the right question is 'Should I .....'? No, while I feed my cheap Chinese ($3) lighters anything that says Butane on the label (a couple of them from so long ago they have no English on them (bought overseas) or 'house brands' from stores that no longer exist. I figure they come from a place where 'high quality Butane' as more a marketing statement than reality.

Not so my VM lighter and a collection of serious pipe lighters from the past. They get Vector, same as the Iolites.

As has been said, look for high quality gas (much of it from Korea FWIW) at big bucks cigar shops. Guys who light $20 stogies with $300 lighters don't mess around will low quality gas. You can also get the good stuff from home gourmet shops, I have bought it from "Bed, Breakfast, and Beyond" it seems the Cream Brulee makers are sensitive to contamination as well? Who'da thought?

A standard 'shade tree laboratory' test of gas is to spray some on a clean mirror. Look for water condensing out and for residual junk (often a film or haze) after the liquid Butane flashes off. Anything left on the mirror can also be left inside the lighter. If that builds up in key spots (like the metering orifice or valve seat) you can kill an otherwise fine lighter.

You can also order it from Amazon (which I did a while back in fact).

A can of gas really lasts a long time, quite cheap compared to herb or concentrate, why not play it safe for the few dollars involved?

OF

olysh pops

Capitalism is so cool to provide so many choices in the marketplace. I bet in Russia there's only one vape model made, almost always out of stock, and when they are available the lines are very long. And don't ask about colors.

OF

Russia is capitalist since 25 years. Gazprom is number one market capitalisation in Europe.
And Russia is less far from Storz and Bickel Mighty Crafty Volcano, Herborizer, Vapman, Minivap than you are.

lemmeadem

In a more civilized society they'd have reserved seats with lumbar support (hey, we do it in cars) with built in Heating Stations of course.........

Until that day, we'll have to make do as best we can. Capitalism is so cool to provide so many choices in the marketplace. I bet in Russia there's only one vape model made, almost always out of stock, and when they are available the lines are very long. And don't ask about colors.

OF

In a more civilized society, Capitalism would be more Marxist Communism than Oligarchy and socialized healthcare wouldn't have been up for debate so long.

But alas, some see different words and different systems of governance as black and white when we should be focused on finding the right spot on the spectrum.

I mean, it's not like super powers are super powers because they decided to be democratic. *_*

I could do with a heating station on every corner, though. :D

KennyPowers

A can of gas really lasts a long time, quite cheap compared to herb or concentrate, why not play it safe for the few dollars involved?

OF

Well I've either got to drive my ass to a specialized cigar store or wait for another internet order.

I came in here saying I was buying a Vapman, no one mentioned it ships without butane?
I won’t forget this. You guys were not there to support me in this time.

ReifierReefer

Well I've either got to drive my ass to a specialized cigar store or wait for another internet order.

I came in here saying I was buying a Vapman, no one mentioned it ships without butane?

You're local head shop might carry refined butane. Mine carries a brand called STōK that is low in impurities.

http://butanesource.com/msds

As far as I know all of the butane brands listed on this webpage are of acceptable quality.

OF

Actually all lighters should come empty by law. Some guys 'cheat' a bit by putting a tiny charge in to test for leaks, but one is an empty lighter the other a flammable hazard (which for instance can't ship by air?).

You can always just order it from Amazon, Bed, Breakfast and Beyond or any of a number of places. I bought my last can from Amazon, more expensive than 'downtown' but not much and much easier to deal with:
http://www.amazon.com/Vector-Quintu...keywords=Vector+Quintuple+Refined+Butane+Fuel

Order it now and the nice postman will have it at your house before mid week?

OF

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre.jpg

Baths? We don't need no stinking baths!
baby-bath.jpg

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
@KennyPowers In a pinch you can use drugstore/supermarket quality butane while waiting on something better just purge it all out of the torch before refilling with the good stuff. I bought a case of Iolite brand butane a little over a year ago for around $43 shipped off of ebay and still have 8 full cans left. Everything I own that uses butane runs nice and smooth with it even though it was relatively cheap gas.

Gourmet

You musta bought the basic unit........
Ahh, that's the difference, thx for the hint! :bowdown:

Gives-it also the service of refill and clean the Vapman Classic after every use?
Because I hate to clean and until now I throw them always away, as soon as the golden pan is getting a little bit dark. Fortunately, Basics aren't as expensiv as the Classics. :tup:

KennyPowers

Funny guys, you're right I should know all about ordering lighters off the internet.

Except for one fact: I don't have a credit card, and I fucking hate computers. All kinds. I come here today not just to bash on fucking technology, but to let you know that I went to local cigar shop and got the purest butane on the market.

Top Bottom