Vaping in a Car.....

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
When I was a kid in HS, way back in the 1970's........I used to smoke in 'any given' car. At lunchtime I remember one time in particular......I jumped out of a bellowing car,,,,and this girl was like,,,,,"WTF are you doing in my F'n car"? I busted up laughing uncontrollably and ran off......:lmao:

ACE OF VAPE

Vape outside the box
Manufacturer
I don't condone driving under the influence of anything including cold medicine. That said, I did design the EV-2 to fit in drink holder and draw very little power so I can use it when I go car-camping, tailgating, etc...

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I drive high. Alot. As a matter of fact, I've actually shaved a second or two off my times from the autocross circuit after a nice session. My footwork is more in sync under the influence, and it's just so much damn fun expending rubber and dodging cones with a little kush on the brain.

I don't vape in my car though.

tranceporter,

max

Out to lunch
DrPiff said:
I drive high. Alot. As a matter of fact, I've actually shaved a second or two off my times from the autocross circuit after a nice session. My footwork is more in sync under the influence, and it's just so much damn fun expending rubber and dodging cones with a little kush on the brain
Driving fast "with a little kush on the brain" is an activity that shouldn't be emulated.

max,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I drive high. Alot.
My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver while riding his bicycle. I absolutely must say that driving impaired is a very bad idea and has consequences that are beyond your immediate experience when doing so. The guy that killed my brother-in-law actually complained about the damage that was done to his car (by my brother's body). . . although he has had many years in prison to think about his choice that morning, I don't think he believes he did anything wrong. It will be interesting to see what the navy does with him once he gets out of the civilian system.

t-dub,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
He said he drives high, not drunk. I mean no offense to your loss, but we all know that alcohol impairs you way more than THC. That said, I think what you said is correct, driving impaired is a very bad idea. But everyone does it to a degree, hell thinking too deeply can be an impairment if it distracts you enough.

aesthyrian,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
He said he drives high, not drunk.
I know, I can read.
but we all know that alcohol impairs you way more than THC.
Do we? That would be an interesting debate I am sure. I myself am not sure, because of the time distortion mmj causes, but it will differ with people as well I think.
I think what you said is correct, driving impaired is a very bad idea.
My whole point in the first place. Driving impaired on anything is a bad choice, period, distracted driving (food, cell phones etc) is also an issue as well.

Edit: Would you feel any better, after just having killed an innocent person on the road, having only had mmj and not alcohol before you chose to drive?

Also: If I have anywhere to go I do not medicate on that day until I get home. No exceptions.

And another thing: If you drive impaired a lot, it is only a matter of time before you get caught and/or have an accident. Hopefully no one else will get hurt in the process.

t-dub,
I know, I can read.Do we? That will be an interesting debate I am sure. I myself am not sure, because of the time distortion mmj causes, but it will differ with people as well I think.My whole point in the first place. Driving impaired on anything is a bad choice, period, distracted driving (food, cell phones etc) is also an issue as well.

Edit: Would you feel any better, after just having killed an innocent person on the road, having only had mmj and not alcohol before you chose to drive?

Also: If I have anywhere to go I do not medicate on that day until I get home. No exceptions.

And another thing: If you drive impaired a lot, it is only a matter of time before you get caught and/or have an accident. Hopefully no one else will get hurt in the process.
Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

Very interesting read. You may be wrong t-dub

I very rarely have driven a little high (once or twice) The only noticeable difference I've had is what they said in the study, that high people tend to drive slower.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I said I wasn't sure. Personally I believe driving impaired is wrong but it appears cannabis may not be "as bad" as alcohol, but you are still impaired. I think it would be very hard to make the argument that impaired drivers are "safer" than sober drivers. From the study "THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING"

"In summary, laboratory tests and driving studies show that cannabis may acutely impair several driving-related skills in a dose-related fashion, but that the effects between individuals vary more than they do with alcohol because of tolerance, differences in smoking technique, and different absorptions of THC. Driving and simulator studies show that detrimental effects vary in a dose-related fashion, and are more pronounced with highly automatic driving functions, but more complex tasks that require conscious control are less affected, which is the opposite pattern from that seen with alcohol. Because of both this and an increased awareness that they are impaired, marijuana smokers tend to compensate effectively for their impairment by utilizing a variety of behavioral strategies such as driving more slowly, passing less, and leaving more space between themselves and cars in front of them. Combining marijuana with alcohol eliminates the ability to use such strategies effectively, however, and results in impairment even at doses that would be insignificant were they of either drug alone. Case-control studies are inconsistent, but suggest that while low concentrations of THC do not increase the rate of accidents, and may even decrease them, serum concentrations of THC higher than 5 ng/mL are associated with an increased risk of accidents (Figure 2). Overall, though, case-control and culpability studies have been inconclusive, a determination reached by several other recent reviewers.101, 102 Similar disagreement has never existed in the literature on alcohol use and crash risk."

nihms115730f2.jpg

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
I drive high. Alot. As a matter of fact, I've actually shaved a second or two off my times from the autocross circuit after a nice session. My footwork is more in sync under the influence, and it's just so much damn fun expending rubber and dodging cones with a little kush on the brain.

As someone who participates in HPDE's I can say that is extremely fucking foolish.

Tea Party,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
^I've been doing it for years and I have never been in a car accident or even close to one under the influence. I've spun out once autocrossing, it happened to be my first time participating and I was sober. I've never been on a road course with other drivers and in that case I wouldn't participate under the influence. With autocrossing, the only thing that is damaged in error is ego and maybe paint off a bumper.

Alchohol is another topic altogether, driving high is of no concern to me what so ever. I do everything high and have been doing everything high for 11 years.

hell thinking too deeply can be an impairment if it distracts you enough.

truestory.com/realtalk/validpoint.html

high performance driving event. Rally cross, time trials etc. etc. Dude, don't tell people in your chapter that is what gives us a bad name, along with all the street racing kids out there. Seems you would be the kind of individual to own an s2k.

biojuggernaut,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
High Performance Driving Event.

high performance driving event. Rally cross, time trials etc. etc. Dude, don't tell people in your chapter that is what gives us a bad name, along with all the street racing kids out there. Seems you would be the kind of individual to own an s2k.

Street racing? You don't know anything about me or the real enthusiasts who own S2000s.

tranceporter,

hogleg

yeah I thought that's what he meant I love running the slolam vaped my car was an A1 jetta with the corrado g60 inside rear off the ground all day!

hogleg,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Tea Party & biojuggernaut, did you read the study t-dub linked, or even what he quoted? It doesn't seem like you did, because it clearly states that the effects of marijuana on driving vary considerably from one person to the next and can actually result in improved driving.

The theory seems to be that stoned people are aware of their state and compensate, unlike drunk people. My experience supports this idea. Marijuana does not impair my judgment, alcohol does. When I was younger (I don't do this anymore) I drove many thousands of miles stoned and I never had even a close call, because when I'm high I'm extremely conscious of it and so I'm extra cautious. On the other hand, I've had way too many close calls and a couple of accidents when I've been straight.

Also, I've spent many many hours playing pinball, both stoned and not. I can tell you without a doubt that at least in that context, my reactions and thought processes are better stoned than they are sober. I therefore take DrPiff at his word when he says his performance improves with weed.

Whatever I guess myself & Tea Party will take our avants and m3's elsewhere. :rofl:

All manufacturing aside however,

Go up on on s2ki and post a poll and see if people agree with this. Like you said if you wanna go out and bust up your fenders and bumpers as the sport asks for please go ahead, just never let your impairment place someone's else life at risk mate, it ain't worth it. Or that precious spoon roof you just bought!

biojuggernaut,

lwien

Marijuana does not impair my judgment, alcohol does.

MJ may not impair your judgement, but how 'bout your reaction time?

When I was younger (I don't do this anymore) I drove many thousands of miles stoned and I never had even a close call, because when I'm high I'm extremely conscious of it and so I'm extra cautious.

Could it also be that you just didn't notice that you had a close call? ;)

lwien,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Whatever I guess myself & Tea Party will take our avants and m3's elsewhere. :rofl:

All manufacturing aside however,

Go up on on s2ki and post a poll and see if people agree with this. Like you said if you wanna go out and bust up your fenders and bumpers as the sport asks for please go ahead, just never let your impairment place someone's else life at risk mate, it ain't worth it. Or that precious spoon roof you just bought!

You aren't listening. That would simply be asking the opinions of people who are even less informed on this subject than you're supposed to be. It's just your opinion that being stoned puts someone else's life at risk. Studies show that driving improvement really can occur, but your opinion apparently trumps the science. So this is an ad hominem attack, unless of course, you've seen DrPiff driving and know he gets worse when he's stoned.

MJ may not impair your judgement, but how 'bout your reaction time?

Also, I've spent many many hours playing pinball, both stoned and not. I can tell you without a doubt that at least in that context, my reactions and thought processes are better stoned than they are sober. I therefore take DrPiff at his word when he says his performance improves with weed.

Emphasis added.

Could it also be that you just didn't notice that you had a close call? ;)

Sure, anything could be. Your premise is that when I was not stoned and thus not concentrating on driving as much, I noticed more close calls than I did when stoned and paying closer attention. I'll just classify that as "possible but unlikely". I think, however, it is pretty evident from what I've posted that being stoned increases my concentration and awareness. That's why my driving is better (or was, since I don't do that any more). Every accident I've ever had in which I was at fault (3, all fender benders) resulted from lack of attention. Being stoned made me pay attention, thus improved my driving. Q.E.D.

pakalolo,

lwien

I think, however, it is pretty evident from what I've posted that being stoned increases my concentration and awareness.

It has been my experience, while stoned, that I may have an increase in concentration and awareness, but I do so in a very focused way, to the exclusion of other things that may be happening around me and that could have dire consequences behind the wheel were one has to be aware of a LOT of things going on at the same time while also taking into account those things that are not going on, but "could" go on at any time.

lwien,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It has been my experience, while stoned, that I may have an increase in concentration and awareness, but I do so in a very focused way, to the exclusion of other things that may be happening around me and that could have dire consequences behind the wheel were one has to be aware of a LOT of things going on at the same time while also taking into account those things that are not going on, but "could" go on at any time.

Absolutely, I understand. That is your experience. I have a different experience. I get highly focused as well, that's what I'm driving at.* The difference seems to be that my focus includes all the aspects important to driving, such as awareness of other vehicles, road conditions, speed, etc. If your focus was simply, say, staying between the lines and forgetting there are other cars, then you'd be one of those whose driving doesn't improve and you should never drive stoned. This is why the studies haven't been conclusive, they've found both kinds of drivers.

* Yes, I did it, I punned. So shoot me.

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
Tea Party & biojuggernaut, did you read the study t-dub linked, or even what he quoted? It doesn't seem like you did, because it clearly states that the effects of marijuana on driving vary considerably from one person to the next and can actually result in improved driving.

The theory seems to be that stoned people are aware of their state and compensate, unlike drunk people. My experience supports this idea. Marijuana does not impair my judgment, alcohol does. When I was younger (I don't do this anymore) I drove many thousands of miles stoned and I never had even a close call, because when I'm high I'm extremely conscious of it and so I'm extra cautious. On the other hand, I've had way too many close calls and a couple of accidents when I've been straight.

I agree that stoned people are more paranoid of going to jail and try to be more cautious. I don't believe any intoxicant will improve reaction times.

I'm going to take a guess that you do everything high and have done so for quite some time. Your body may adjust to it over time but on average I'd say that would not be the same for the majority.

My friend who smokes in a year what i'll maybe smoke in a lifetime will tell you that he'll never ride his street bike stoned, ever.

There is a time and a place for thing, and the time and place for smoking is not driving down the fucking interstate.

s2k drivers?

221789-vlcsnap_2010_05_25_05h48m02s117.jpg

Tea Party,

Tea Party

Boro Connoisseur
I'll put my money up against any stoned person at the karting track when ever.

Tea Party,
Top Bottom