Vape Newb. Need some suggestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Hello all,

This is my first post here but I've been lurking and absorbing as much information as I can. I've been smoking for ten years total. The first five of those years consisted of blunts and ciggarettes. The last 5 years have mostly consisted of bowls and the occasional blunt when I'm in a group (quit cigs in 2006). I think I really enjoy smoking but lately I've been thinking about quitting combustion altogether and start vaping. I ordered the No2 after reading lots of positive reviews and I figured something portable would be awesome. I am now having a few concerns after reading the entire No2 thread and many people experiencing that bad taste/smell issue (wish i found this site earlier...). If mine arrives and has this problem I'll try to return it and buy something else. My question is what is (in your opinion) the best Vape for a long time smoker under 200 dollars? I've been looking at the Purple Days and Aromazap but all seem to be out of stock. Your opinions are warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

tranceporter,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You need to narrow down your requirements a bit. Things to consider:

• Portable or a home unit?[/*]
  • Flame-powered (mostly butane) or electric?[/*]
  • Do you want to connect water filtration?[/*]
  • Solo or shared use?[/*]
  • Bags or direct draw?[/*]
  • Is stealth a concern?[/*]

There are no doubt other things that I've missed, but the good folk here will fill them in.

I assume you have never tried vaporizing. There are differences in the effects, since combustion gives off nasty things that affect how you feel, and some people miss that part. If you want big heavy clouds like you can milk from a bong, that will also influence your choice.

pakalolo,

max

Out to lunch
The log vapes you mention are excellent. I've been using one for years. They're great at stretching your supply. A more impressive vape, as far as getting high quicker, is going to be a full size whip model. Bigger bowl, wider air path, means delivering more vapor per hit. A full size vape like this goes well with a log vape, and you may end up with both styles. A lot of users do. I'd recommend looking at the Da Buddha. They're available under $200-good prices on eBay, or use one of the dealers that offer discounts to FC members Retailers. It's one of the most popular models on the market, and uses time tested technology.

max,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Sorry for the vagueness..

-Portable would be nice but I'd be happy with a nice home unit
-NO BUTANE
-Don't really care about water filtration
-Mostly solo shared with one or two max
-I'd like a whip vape
-Stealth doesn't really matter

tranceporter,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Thanks for the quick replies. Will check out the Buddha if my No2 exhibits the smell/taste thing.

tranceporter,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
DrPiff said:

-NO BUTANE
-I'd like a whip vape

Don't apologize, not necessary. From your answers, I suspect lwien is right. You might also consider the Herbalaire. It is a simple vaporizer to learn, doesn't need grinding, and can do both bags and whip. Some think it's not a great whip unit though.

pakalolo,

nucleo

DrPiff said:
Hello all,

This is my first post here but I've been lurking and absorbing as much information as I can. I've been smoking for ten years total. The first five of those years consisted of blunts and ciggarettes. The last 5 years have mostly consisted of bowls and the occasional blunt when I'm in a group (quit cigs in 2006). I think I really enjoy smoking but lately I've been thinking about quitting combustion altogether and start vaping. I ordered the No2 after reading lots of positive reviews and I figured something portable would be awesome. I am now having a few concerns after reading the entire No2 thread and many people experiencing that bad taste/smell issue (wish i found this site earlier...). If mine arrives and has this problem I'll try to return it and buy something else. My question is what is (in your opinion) the best Vape for a long time smoker under 200 dollars? I've been looking at the Purple Days and Aromazap but all seem to be out of stock. Your opinions are warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

Some exercise to clear all that black shit from your lungs while ur at it.

nucleo,

Nycdeisel

the DBV and SSV are the best whip type vaporizers, not to say that other models are not just as 'good', but they are not all whips.

I used a DBV for a long while and enjoyed it, but I have moved on. I got a LOT of use out of mine, and with care and respect it should last you a long time.

enjoy :)

Nycdeisel,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
nucleo said:
DrPiff said:
Hello all,

Thanks!

I excercise everyday and that didn't answer my question but umm.. thanks.

tranceporter,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
jeffp said:
Under $200 - probably the DaBuddha unless you can get a good price on a Silver Surfer (a blemished new unit from 7th Floor).
Not to throw you a curve but in my opinion this is the best cheap whip vape -
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Vapor-Box-H...333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bac050dd
(high quality lifetime warranty)

any one of these would make you very happy.

I've tried one of those box vapes before but the owner had the temp was so high we were basically smoking out of it. It ripped like no other..

tranceporter,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
They're all different but look the same. If your friend had one that had a digital temperature readout in the front it's most likely cheap Chinese built, low quality and unreliable both in performance and longevity. The better quality box vapes don't have the digital temp readout. It's easy for a newbie to cognize that in reverse. Vapor Brothers is another excellent whip vape. You might want to check your local craigslist to see what's going cheap. Vaporizers aren't for everyone and sometimes people want to get rid of them - sometimes they don't know how to use it right and they decide it's not their thing. I've bought a few used vapes from my local CL and I think it's one good way to go, depending on the manufacturer support and warranty - info you can get from here. You have to find the sweet spot or the sweet spot range with any whip vape and you'll be in business.
Regardless the simplest solution is a DaBuddha. After you get whatever you get do some research here to learn and drying and grinding and other tips and tricks that make a major difference.

jeffp,

SD_haze

DrPiff said:
jeffp said:
Under $200 - probably the DaBuddha unless you can get a good price on a Silver Surfer (a blemished new unit from 7th Floor).
Not to throw you a curve but in my opinion this is the best cheap whip vape -
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Vapor-Box-H...333?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bac050dd
(high quality lifetime warranty)

any one of these would make you very happy.

I've tried one of those box vapes before but the owner had the temp was so high we were basically smoking out of it. It ripped like no other..

The problem with a lot of those cheaper box vapes is they dont MAINTAIN the temp you set.

The longer you use the HOTTER it actually gets, so unless you turn the heating down you will combust.

This is generally the issue with the china box vapes I'm sure DBV doesnt

SD_haze,

nucleo

DrPiff said:
nucleo said:
DrPiff said:
Hello all,

Thanks!

I excercise everyday and that didn't answer my question but umm.. thanks.

If you already do that it's good, i just wanted point towards better health since it's the road it seems you have chosen! I haven't tried any other vaps besides the volcano, and that's already over $200 so can't really help you with what you asked :(

nucleo,

weedemon

enthusiast
Welcome to the forum and deciding to register and join in! :)

imo just returning the one you bought right away would be the best thing to do :p if you use it they might not take it back :(

DrPiff said:
My question is what is (in your opinion) the best Vape for a long time smoker under 200 dollars? I've been looking at the Purple Days and Aromazap but all seem to be out of stock. Your opinions are warmly welcomed.
!

since you are a long time smoker be aware the high is different, and the buzz you catch from all the physical smoke will not be there.

i think the best way to introduce someone to vapor when coming from smoking is with a heavy hitter with a low learning curve. you don't want to be haulin forever in order to catch a buzz. nor do you want to be disappointed because it was a poor experience do to the learning curve with every unit. there is an optimal way that you will find with each unit for how to use it for maximum effectiveness.

DrPiff said:

-NO BUTANE
-I'd like a whip vape

go for the home unit first and be impressed with how well it rocks! i got mine (ssv) on here right beside me right now :p

later on get yourself a portable and then you can quit smoking entirely! :) i did that this year and feel great! my lungs are very happy for me! :lol:

based on that the DBV and SSV are the way to go.

do you consume hash or any oils?

the dbv and ssv are essentially the same thing (same ceramic element heater) with the difference being on the ssv you choose your connection type.the dbv is ground glass only

and the ssv is angled downward. because of this you can put hash and other lovely concentrates in there and you have no worries!

with these whip vapes you can water filter if you want to also. it smooths the hit but i think also removes some of the flavour.

there is an ssv on this forum for sale @ 180 i believe. i wold suggest you snag it up! :p

regardless of what you end up going with jsut do your research and im sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

weedemon,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately my No2 is not returnable so if it has the taste issue then I gues s it will be sold on craigslist. Seems like DBV will be my next purchase.

tranceporter,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom