VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You can work it out with the average watts per bowl.
Takes about 15-20 mAh @ 12volts per puff or 80 mAh @12 volts per bowl. This was calculated from the average of 10 bowls from the 800 mAh PSM battery.
If planning on other voltage rather than 12 V, you will need to convert to wattage per hour to calculate. So, that is .08A x 12V for approx 1 Wh per bowl.
Basically, if you half the voltage you double the current, so best stick around the 12 volt area.
A rough guestimate on the physical size of a FF2, you might fit a 400-500 mAh Lipo which would give around 5 bowls per charge. Of course, the driver circuitry would need to be re-designed and made smaller too.
This would no longer be a DIY project but more of a production thing for the big guys.
:science:

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I've been searching this thread and elsewhere for the past hour trying to find directions on changing/replacing the batteries in a PSM but to no avail thus far.

Can someone please give me a quick "how to" or point me in the right direction to written directions somewhere?

@Pipes ?

TIA! :huh:

Fat Freddy,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
That was a cool video, love the way the song fitted the length of the video perfectly. What is the name of the song/artist?

Also what a great looking product! A tight fit, well done indeed. Skills.

david8613

You can work it out with the average watts per bowl.
Takes about 15-20 mAh @ 12volts per puff or 80 mAh @12 volts per bowl. This was calculated from the average of 10 bowls from the 800 mAh PSM battery.
If planning on other voltage rather than 12 V, you will need to convert to wattage per hour to calculate. So, that is .08A x 12V for approx 1 Wh per bowl.
Basically, if you half the voltage you double the current, so best stick around the 12 volt area.
A rough guestimate on the physical size of a FF2, you might fit a 400-500 mAh Lipo which would give around 5 bowls per charge. Of course, the driver circuitry would need to be re-designed and made smaller too.
This would no longer be a DIY project but more of a production thing for the big guys.
:science:

Sounds a little complicated. It would be a nice form factor to and induction heater shaped like a candy bar.

david8613,

DrunkenMaster

GkQuxPH.jpg

69nSZ3V.jpg

I had a tragic accident last night everyone. Stepped on the cord causing er to come down with a wicked thump. Scared the bajeezus outta me lol.

Anyone know how the glass tube is secured in place/the best way to remove it? Also is it fine to use without the glass tube?

Thanks yall, cheers! :clap:

DrunkenMaster,

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
My heater on the PSM is no longer engaging every time I click the tactile switch.

Could this be a battery issue, or worse? My wall plug did literally rip in half when I was attempting to remove it from the wall last week :hmm:

Replacement on the way

muunch,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Please send me a PM for any ailments. We will get it sorted.
The glass tube is just held in by the pressure of the coil. If enough glass remains that can be grasped with a rubber glove or similar, it will twist out. A drop of water between the tube and coil will help if stuck. However, when the tube is removed, the whole bottom switch mechanism will become unstable as the tube holds it all in place. When removed, the structural support is missing and a new one needs to be put back in right away. Therefore, I'd suggest you see if you can get it started and if no problem, get a new tube and do the procedure once you have it in hand. The new tube will push/twist in fairly easily. ;) Glass tube

P4NMAN

I hate to echo so many others on here but they are right! I recieved my Caldron today and it has the best performance out of the IHs I have tried so far. The build quality is excellent! It feels solid and also looks good on the coffee table to boot! An absolute game changer. I won't be using anything else for a while I think.

Thanks @Pipes

warren0728

cool @P4NMAN ... i just got my caldron in today as well and i love it. the first thing is ... it is a lot smaller than i envisioned which is great ... it's the only ih i have tried but it works great! i'll try and post pics tomorrow ... if anyone is on the fence about getting one just do it ... you won't regret it!

thanks @Pipes !

DrunkenMaster

Please send me a PM for any ailments. We will get it sorted.
The glass tube is just held in by the pressure of the coil. If enough glass remains that can be grasped with a rubber glove or similar, it will twist out. A drop of water between the tube and coil will help if stuck. However, when the tube is removed, the whole bottom switch mechanism will become unstable as the tube holds it all in place. When removed, the structural support is missing and a new one needs to be put back in right away. Therefore, I'd suggest you see if you can get it started and if no problem, get a new tube and do the procedure once you have it in hand. The new tube will push/twist in fairly easily. ;) Glass tube

Ahhhhhh yes, that's perfect man thank you! I figured it would be a fairly easy part to replace. Luckily i didn't remove the rest of the tube yet so shes still working great as ever. :party:

I'll PM you if I have any more questions when I get the new part.

Thanks again & cheers!!

Was going back through my phone and found this photo from just moments before the incident. Note the precarious cord positioning and proximity to the table edge... if only i knew then what i know now... :shrug:

lol

eAlHtH6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
PM me when you get the new tube and we'll figure out how to get the old one out. Looks like it's broken pretty deep into the coil. The Orings will need to be removed first then we'll see if there is a way to hook under the bottom of the tube to work it out. Worst case we can break the glass completely by squeezing the coil in a vise and remove the chunks. We'll cross that bridge only if we have to. :science:

DrunkenMaster

Really appreciate that man! New tubes (x2) are on their way. Got 2 just to be safe lmao. I'll let you know when they arrive and if i run into any troubles. Thanks again :tup::clap:

DrunkenMaster,
Reactions: Pipes

namasteIII

hey @Pipes my Portside mini is starting to get finicky with staying on for the whole heat up. I've got to have exact downward pressure and even then sometime heat up will stop and the LED turns off. A quick wiggle fixes it but it only just started and I wish it would go back to 100 % consistency like it was up until now. Any ideas?

Thanks man, still a great product.

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Please use the PM system for ailments. :tup:
Since yours is over a year back now, please include a picture looking down the tube so I know what vintage switch mechanism you have. ;) TIA

Mono Loco

Hi, Pipes and the rest of y'all.

Dang ... I thought we were gonna' be legal here in Connecticut, but it's been put on hold indefinitely. Oh well, I continue to do my research with patient optimism. I recently discover a little gizmo that allows me to use my miniature guitar pedal (which has no battery compartment) under batter power. It is a USB adapter cable that allows a rechargeable LiPo "battery bank" (the small ones designed to recharge one's cell phone) to take the place of the 9v AC adapter (wall wart). It's called the "Birdcord" and it's made by Songbird FX of Austria. The maker also makes an adapter that converts the same battery banks' output (or any USB powered port) to 12v ... to power small guitar practice amps.

I am wondering if the 12v Birdcord could power the Caldron for a few sessions ??? Its specs are as follows: Output voltage: 12V DC, peak output current: 750mA, polarity: center positive, cable length: 55 cm (21″), output plug dimensions: DC 5.5 x 2.1 mm.

Uhm ... I took a peek back at my earlier inquiry regarding Car Use of the Caldron and see that Pipes wrote that the Caldron draws 5-6 Amps. As such, I guess the 12v Birdcord's output current of 750mA is pretty low, eh? I guess I just answered my own Q ... but maybe I'm wrong some how! In any case, maybe I gave someone a good lead about the 9v Birdcord for powering their guitar pedal!!!!!

Cheers!

p.s.: I think I will do as Pipes suggested and run a dedicated wire from the fuse box to the cabin somewhere, with an inline fuse and a DC plug on it. I haven't done such a thing for 30 years, when I wanted a hot feed for my CB radio ... "Breaker, breaker!". I'll put it on on lengthy To-Do List and by the time we're finally legal here I might have it ready.

Mono Loco,

TheThriftDrifter

Land of the long vapor cloud
Would it be possible to power a cordless/portable induction heater using capacitors instead of batteries?

Pros - quick to recharge, long life, lightweight.

Cons - discharge over time, don't hold as much energy as battery's, release their energy quickly.

TheThriftDrifter,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
There are 2 huge problems with that idea. The capacitor would need to be huge to hold the 80 mAh worth of energy required for even 1 bowl. 2nd, capacitors discharge linearly and voltage drops as they discharge. Batteries voltage have a long plateau so a constant current is maintained.
Check it out in detail here. :science:

arrjaytea

Bill Cravy
Jumped on the wait list last week, and I'm curious - any Americans have any issues with this getting hung up in customs at all once it ships?

Had a custom VC stem get stuck in BC a couple of years back - just curious if anyone has had similar experiences with this. Thanks!

arrjaytea,
Top Bottom