VapCap Induction Heater for Desktop and in Car Use

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
I've started thinking about a home IH. The BB driver, home harness and home supply is all I need? Just plug and play? I think even I can handle that.

How tall is the driver unit? I've got a nice little wooden box I might mount it inside if there's enough room.

Also, how does the driver attach to a piece of wood? The photos don't really show much. Thanks!

Moses Baca,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Howdy. The BB driver stands about 55mm height. Comes ready to plug and play and gives time to ponder over an enclosure while giving it a workout. The power plug pigtail can also fit inside the choke coil for using stand alone without an enclosure.
There is double sided foam tape on the bottom side which can be used to stick it inside a chosen enclosure. The power pigtail has a rubber grommet to be an easy mount with a drilled hole.
Try to make it easy for you guys. ;)

namasteIII

Woah circular magnets one the newer ones. I want my money back.

ha not, PSM is one of the best purchases a human can make.

Say, if I want to take off the stickers on the side any tips for removing the sticker residue that will get left behind. Kinda liking the idea of a just a plain black box, with no label.

cheers to whoever answers that

seki

I just placed an order for a PSM and asked Pipes about the label as well. He tells me it can be easily peeled off without leaving any residue. In general, products like Goo Gone or even a bit of lighter fluid usually removes adhesives pretty well.

namasteIII

Word thanks team. I bet a tiny bit of ISO can help to get anything that remains if those methods don't do it.

Ha im excited I used to have a vape people on here liked to call a little magic black box, now I get to reincarnate it.

megatron

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
hello!

I have designed a 3d printed case for the "Pipes" IH Barebones. This model was printed in MG Chemicals wood PLA. You simply need the following for the IH barebones.
  • Driver Modular - $30
  • Home Harness - $5
  • 12 Volt Power Supply - $15
  • 9mmx2mm Diametrically Magnetized Magnet - $2

Here are the links to the two 3d printed designs for the case. The plain is $15 and the knurling cut is $20

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/electronics/induction-heater-case

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/induction-heater-case-knurling

spembt.jpg

2d6jthw.jpg

+ some wood stain

66pj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

seki

I received my Portside Mini today, charged it up, gave it a test run (or three) and wow.
It really elevates the Vapcap experience. The speed and uniform heating of the cap make it more convenient to use and I'm getting better flavour for more cycles than I ever did with the torch.

It's basically totally exposed how flawed my torch technique is. :lol: I've been getting 7-8 heating cycles going past the click for a second or two, whereas with the torch, I was getting 5 tops.

Amazing device, anyone on the fence shouldn't feel any apprehension about diving in and purchasing. Pipes is on the level and is very cool to deal with.

wbward

I have been lurking on this and several other threads for awhile now and finally decided to take the plunge. New M 18 on the way along with some of the parts need for one on the IH units. I ordered the driver board and coil and the mosfet board along with sone switches. I have a box of power supplies as I used to repair laptops.

My question is... what is the most current recommended parts / schematic for a desktop version. I would like to leave it plugged to the wall and use a switch at the unit to gate the power and another for the coil operation. Any help is appreciated. I guess I should have ordered a barebones kit. Specifically in think I’m missing the thermal protection and denounce circuits.

Last edited:

Moses Baca

Colorado State Reformatory #8755
Best of luck with your build! I'm planning on building a home plug-in unit at some point, also, so I'm always looking for more ideas and info.

Moses Baca,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, I received a very pleasant surprise today in the mail. @megatron, thank you very much for the customized enclosure. The fit is perfect and very easy to assemble. The modular just fits nice and tight and one only needs to align the tube slightly to center in the hole. The grommet fits well into the enclosure for the power supply port. A very easy and nice enclosure indeed. Well done and definitely recommend! :tup: :nod:

:science:

hello!

I have designed a 3d printed case for the "Pipes" IH Barebones. This model was printed in MG Chemicals wood PLA. You simply need the following for the IH barebones.
  • Driver Modular - $30
  • Home Harness - $5
  • 12 Volt Power Supply - $15
  • 9mmx2mm Diametrically Magnetized Magnet - $2

Here are the links to the two 3d printed designs for the case. The plain is $15 and the knurling cut is $20

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/electronics/induction-heater-case

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/hobby-diy/other/induction-heater-case-knurling

spembt.jpg

2d6jthw.jpg

+ some wood stain

66pj.jpg

httmfr

I just assembled one of these for a buddy of mine. After he had it for about 2 hours, he says the switch which you use to press down with the dynavap has come out and revealed melted glue. This is very odd to me because I used it for over a week before I gave it to him and had no problems. I believe that he received a Dynavap that had a cap that was way too loose which allowed the vape to be heated much hotter before it clicks than mine did. Has anyone seen this happen before? what is the best material to repair it? Thank you

httmfr,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
You are correct that it's odd. There is no glue in there. The glass rhinestone is held down with thin double sided tape and is kept from any sideways movement by means of tubing that is pushed over the button shaft.

I have never heard of one coming off while using normally. All the force is downward and should not come off by itself. What might have happened is they put a VC in without its cap and got the rhinestone stuck in the cap or something along that line. Or was just curiosity. Something I'd do...
Regardless, the solution is to re-install the stone. Clean the surfaces and use some type of thin double-sided tape. Carpet tape will do. Stick to stone, then trim around it. Use tweezers to put back in place. Advise him not to use without as will melt the top of the button. If the stone is lost, I can send you a couple new ones.
In the case that a VC was used and the top of the button is melted, all is not lost. A small drop of JB Quickweld will suffice as a heatshield. Just a small dap to cover the top of the switch being careful not to get anywhere else.
To deal with the tubing, you need to use a paperclip and bend one end the fashion a small hook. This jig can be used to snag and remove/position it.
Please PM me with any questions. :science:

httmfr

Thank you, Pipes. He still has the stone and is holding off on use. I now remember that a different friend did stick a DV into the heater without the cap on :doh:, so perhaps I did give it to him pre-broken. Not sure how I could have never noticed that all this time though :hmm:

He was complaining about something goopy getting on his DV. "It's soupy in there" is his exact words. I only have pics he's texting me that are not the greatest. Do you think that he could have melted the tubing? Or was he observing the button melting?

httmfr,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Most likely it will be the tubing as would feel "soapy" if heated. It will need to come out by means of a hooked paperclip. Push beside the tubing and twist to have the hook snag from underneath. Pull it up a bit and repeat on the opposite side. Repeat until it comes out. Can likely just be trimmed up and re-used.
PM me if you need more help. :science:

Zoned89

Do I’m going to start browsing this thread. Within a monthor two i want an induction heater. Preferably I’d want a desktop setup, but 18650 would be cool IF it would last more than just a few uses.
What’s the most current/best price ih setup? I know a bit of wiring, but I’m also not opposed to buying a prebuilt setup if it wasn’t super expensive. I saw that the user pipes might possibly be selling these, if so whts the price?
Honestly looking for current links to figure this stuff out. I have a bit of wiring and soldering experience, and I will have an m in the next couple weeks, never used a vapcap, but get
The impression this is a needed extra. Now to read through 100+ pages of learning .

Iainjmill

It's well worth the read to be honest and links all easy to find. Good fortune with your IH. I can recommend Pipe's gear. I have used 4 barebones which worked out of the box and just needed an enclosure. All 4 now been getting regular use for 3 months and all operating perfectly. But honestly worth the read.

Top Bottom