Underdog Log Vapes

upperlevel

I think it's more the work that goes in to them you are paying for then the little piece of glass itself, Upperlevel.

HI GonG stems are 30 bucks too, I guess that's the norm for stems like that.
I think it's more the work that goes in to them you are paying for then the little piece of glass itself, Upperlevel.

HI GonG stems are 30 bucks too, I guess that's the norm for stems like that.
I absolutely agree. I guess it feels weird shelling out the money for it and the shipping when it seems like something that should come with the vape already and when I see others getting it for free. For some reason in my mind, 15-18 seems like a decent price. At that price it would be automatic for me to purchase it, for some reason I hesitate at 30.

upperlevel,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
So, I might end up videoing again tonight, try out a few things... anyone have any requests in particular of things they want to see?

Peloton,

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
Did I read earlier that Dave has changed the thick silicone stem material in the past few months to a product that is stiffer and holds on better to the Dog? Also, on his website the silicone tubing for $3.99, is that per foot (not mentioned on website)? Are the 25 count screen pack all 0.5" if you choose the 3/8" core? Mine shipped (in May 2012) with some screens, but there were 2 different sizes included (don't use the small ones). Keep it foggy!

Peloton

Vapes Hard
silicone tubing for $3.99, is that per foot (not mentioned on website)?

Yep, by the foot. I just picked up a foot of each for some stem experimenting.

Are the 25 count screen pack all 0.5" if you choose the 3/8" core?

I also ordered some screens with my extra tubing. He only had the 3/8" diameter screens that fit the glass stems, because he was waiting on the .5" coarse screens from his supplier. May be back by in by now, if he doesn't happen to drop in here to answer soon I'd just shoot him an email before you order.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
A few times I have gone to use my Dog, only to find it cold :\, I saw where you suggested bending a pin deep in the male end (inside the Dog, right?) back to tighten the connection. Any chance to see a pic of that? With mine it will look like it is all the way in, but a slight push (less than a mm) and it starts warming right up. Anything fragile in there to watch out for? TIA!

Hey hT - the part inside the plug on the Dog that needs bending isn't the pin it's the flat flap of metal that presses against the side of the plug (when inserted). The flap makes an electrical connection and provides pressure/friction to hold the plug firmly (ideally anyways) in place. The hard part about bending that flap in towards the pin a bit is that it faces inward instead of outward so it's hard to get something underneath it to lever on it.. I do have some success with a hooked dental type pick though so it's not impossible. If the plug on your Dog is unduly loose you can always send it in and I can replace it for you if you want. Might as well try and bend it yourself first though, nothing particularly fragile in there and worse case scenario you break the plug and have to send it in anyways. :) Oh and I saw your later post about the screens - the smaller ones included in a screen kit are for the SGS (simple glass stems) while the larger (1/2" ones) are for doming and using with the silicone tubes and now also (after hammering) the WPB stems. If you only need one size or another you can specify on the website I think when ordering, if not just make a note of it. I'm still waiting on the 1/2" coarse screens annoyingly enough but have plenty of the fine ones.

@ upperlevel - yeah the various glass stems will get hot if left on the vape for any extended period of time, I remove mine between hits to reduce that effect but it's not mandatory. I know some people don't have a problem handling them hot and some use a small scrap of leather to handle them. Also yeah the WBP stems come with an SGS tube and a couple spare silicone bits. I wish I could do something on the price but they are labor intensive and also hard on the equipment and tooling so that is all reflected in the price unfortunately. They would be much cheaper if they were factory made instead of each individually by hand but given that production like that requires quantities ordered in the thousands that's not going to happen. :shrug:

underdog,

upperlevel

@ upperlevel - yeah the various glass stems will get hot if left on the vape for any extended period of time, I remove mine between hits to reduce that effect but it's not mandatory. I know some people don't have a problem handling them hot and some use a small scrap of leather to handle them. Also yeah the WBP stems come with an SGS tube and a couple spare silicone bits. I wish I could do something on the price but they are labor intensive and also hard on the equipment and tooling so that is all reflected in the price unfortunately. They would be much cheaper if they were factory made instead of each individually by hand but given that production like that requires quantities ordered in the thousands that's not going to happen. :shrug:
I understand I guess :( I'll just suck it up and order one tonight I think. It does look like an optimal system :)

upperlevel,

upperlevel

Haha, good point, and it will be beautiful and streamline. After trying water filtration it is tough to deny it.
My first experience with this vape and water was actually just putting water in my mouth and direct drawing using the glass stem. If done correctly it bubbles like a piece and filters it great, it just makes the water pretty gross and it must be spit immediately. Then I tried silly putty and a waterpipe and haven't gone back to direct draw.

upperlevel,
Reactions: underdog

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So here is some more pics

Dave, my infamous nail:
20120821_181058.jpg

As you see, it not only stirs but fits perfectly from the rear as a packing tool;
20120821_180949.jpg

Todays line-Up - A pyrex glass 10 arm downstem with an 18mm
'jhook anf of course my dog:
20120821_181044.jpg

end result: Dog Milk
20120821_181321.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer
@ upperlevel - hey man, forgot to mention in my last post that I plan on putting "dinged up" or "blemished" glass pieces on the website when I have some, similar to how I post the Lost Dog vapes. These blemished pieces will be about 30% off so that'd put a WPB-GonG right at $20. Not sure if that's something you'd be interested in or if/when and how often I'll have stuff to put up there but I've got a couple sitting around right now like that, might as well do something with them. ;)

@ mvape - ahhh the infamous nail, thanks dude! :lol:

So for everyone else is there anything that you find indispensable or really like to use with your UD that's a little simple something like mvape's nail? As a lot of you know I periodically update the "standard kit" that comes with UDs and always like to put things in there all you Dogs will like and use. So.. suggestions?

Also, anyone who has an order in who hasn't received a shipping email yet it's because I haven't shipped your order quite yet. I had a sick day yesterday so I'm running a day behind now. Most of the orders should ship tomorrow, a couple I'm missing items for (inventory miscount :argh:) and if yours is one of those order I'll email you this evening to see what you want to do (ie either wait and ship everything together or ship things separately) about it.

Gotta catch up on the orders and then sit down with y'all and have that UD brainstorming sessions I mentioned a day or two ago.. for now though back to the shop. :peace:

underdog,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
So for everyone else is there anything that you find indispensable or really like to use with your UD that's a little simple something like mvape's nail?

I use an unfolded paper clip as a stir tool. I don't pack my bowls, as my UD does when I put the stem on. Stirring between every hit is important IME.

51ae3817.jpg

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
to tell you the truth, i've been using my girlfriends bobby pin for the longest time. one day i found one next to my vape and figured to use it to stir my stem since i had nothing better around me at the time. turns out to work pretty well. you can kinda use it to pack the bowl down a bit too.

i think if you added a simple stirring/packing tool to the standard kit it'd be really useful. maybe you could take small bits of scrap wood and shape them into a wooden nail type of deal? the nail that mvapes uses seems to do the job pretty well. or possibly shape the end of that dowel you include in the spare screens pouch into a conical shape so it could be used for stirring? just a few thoughts.

i always find myself rambling when i've had a foggy night...

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: underdogette

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I like the idea of some sort of stir/tamping tool being included in a standard kit. The idea of making it out of scrap wood is pretty cool too. Maybe a matching stir tool could be made from a scrap piece when you're shaping a dog?

Peloton,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Don't choke there Stu :lol:

I personally prefer thin steel stirring tools over wooden ones, the wooden ones are often to big for my small bowls. Plus I also do this screen scrapping thingie with my stir tool to keep it clean & I can't do that with a wooden tool.

I'm using the SSV pick mostly, but the little blowpipe dart that Cluffy send me is nice tool as well.

Oh, thanks for the credits btw, but that wasn't my nail Mvapes :tup:

Another thing you could include is a bowl or slide stand perhaps Dave, I received several inquiries about those after people saw me use one in a WW video.

Something like this I mean, but you could make nicer ones out of wood to of course.

Blazing_Blue_Glass_14mm_Slide_Stand_001__32134_zoom.jpg

OhTheAgony,

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
Don't choke there Stu :lol:

Oh, thanks for the credits btw, but that wasn't my nail Mvapes :tup:

Might have been my post #4476. Honestly, I can't think of a better tool than a common nail! :shrug: It is cheap and common, stainless steel so it is safe, perfect size head for packing, firm for stirring, it will never wear out, and if I loose it, I have hundreds more! After I cash out a stem, I gently scrape the screen while it is warm and then blow out any debris. Also this way your screen will never gets gummed up. I would worry that wood will dull out if you scrape the screen with it. :2c:

happyTrails,
Reactions: mvapes

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Thanks to Stu's video I will be PM'ing Dave today and ordering the WPA. Stu - I know the choking was part of the act to increase sales, bravo Stu :clap:

mvapes,

underdog

Manufacturer
Yeah that one went quick once it when it was priced so low as a Lost Dog.. ;)

underdog,
Hi all you UD users :)

My MFLB recently broke and I am looking to get a new log. I used to own a PD, it worked great for about 6 months and then all of a sudden the internals got shaky. I'm not sure why, never dropped it or treated it harshly. Anyway, shortly after that it did not heat up as hot as it used to. It still works but not very well.

I'm very interested in the UD, lots of choices for design and very good tools in the kit!(like the copper lift for the cup especially) However...I'm a bit OCD and when I had the PD I had a fear of little bits of material falling into the heating core and burning up and then I would inhale the ash. This actually happened a couple of times when I started using it and after that I would only use it horizontally or almost tilted all the way vertical.

Does anyone else have that fear? Does this even happen with the UD units or are the heating elements more protected?

I also read in the PD thread that the insides of PDs would cook themselves overtime and eventually users would inhale bits of charred wood? Does this happen with the UD as well?

Sorry for the long post. If anyone could help me out that would be great, especially if it was underdog himself ! haha

VapingLobster,
vaping Lobster I have owned both and I will say you will not be displeased the UD is my daily driver and I would not trade it for the world simple screen adjustments and bowl pack size will get you exactly where it is optimal temp for your vape pleasure. In the long run this dog found it's pack and will remain loyal till the end.

Willuminati,

djonkoman

I had the same with my PD, I only use it at least slightly tilted back. but the UD has a screen in the heatport, so possible some smaller particles could fall trough the screen, but not like with the PD where everything could fall in. I still mostly use it horizontal or tilted tough, firstly because I was used to that from the PD, and now I use it in combination with a bong a lot and then the UD is upside down.
I have used my UD with the stem up though, and didn't notice anything falling in.

the UD has an enclosed core, so no exposure of the airpath to the wood(so if charring would happen you don't inhale it, altough I think charring is mostly solved in the present logvapes)

djonkoman,
Top Bottom