Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
@ Lobster:

I never had anything fall in to any of my logs ever, but I too use it upside down & about 99,9% of the time. I wouldn't be to worried about even if it happened though, with that screen in the center heater tube.

I don't think you have to worry about charring with the new insulated cores. They stay so much cooler to the touch compared to the older models, I seriously doubt if charring is possible at all with these.

OhTheAgony,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
6e947097.jpg

Here's a pic that shows the screen on the heater port... it keeps it clean. Any very little pieces that do manage to fall through don't last long. And like others have already said, the modern UD cores are insulated from the wood, so no worries there either.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I am noticing that I don't get as even browning of my nugz with my UD versus lets say the solo. Weird thing is - I stir my UD stem between each and every hit but with the solo I almost never stir up my stems. Any advice?

mvapes,
Oh awesome thanks guys! I have been keeping up with this thread more or less since it began but I am a bit confused about the types of UD logs. Is there any functional difference between say a twig model and a queen model?

Are PD stems usable?
And is there any way we could replace one of the glass stems for a fatty one? :)

VapingLobster,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey VapingLobster looks like everyone pretty much beat me too it huh? To recap though there is a screen in the center tube to catch any significant debris from falling deep into the core and anything small enough to make it through doesn't linger long. As far as charring goes we haven't had any real charring of the wood in the new insulated core pieces. In any event as I think someone pointed out above the core is completely sealed off from the wooden body so even if charring does occur nothing get into the air path.

There isn't any functional difference between the full size pieces (like a Queen) and mini pieces like Twigs other than physical handling characteristics (ie small is sometimes easier to mate to a waterpipe) and some potential durability issues (ie thicker wood generally is more durable).

There is a small (unnoticeable to many people) heat difference between wood species with the Dogs made of lightweight woods being slightly (and I mean slightly) more hot, this is at the expense of comparable reduction in durability because of the softness of those woods.

Not sure if PD stems will fit, maybe someone else here can answer definitively.

What specifically do you mean re: replacing one of the glass stems for a fatty? If you mean 1 SGS (simple glass stem) for one WPB or XL1or2 then no sorry too big a price difference. On occasion I will give credit for the SGS stems when people don't want them so they can use that credit towards a 'fatty'. If that's what you're interested in just shoot me an email or message for details. :peace:

@ mwape - heya dude I haven't tried a Solo so can't really comment on that but yeah for best effect the UD bowls will need stirring these days. When the cores (older ones) were longer (including both the center tube and the core body) the hot air was more diffused when it reached the bowl but with the new smaller, insulated core with the shorter center tube the air is like a super heated jet in the middle of the tube so heats more in the center of the tube. Not sure how that compares to the Solo but that is what's going on in/with the UD.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Hey VapingLobster looks like everyone pretty much beat me too it huh? To recap though there is a screen in the center tube to catch any significant debris from falling deep into the core and anything small enough to make it through doesn't linger long. As far as charring goes we haven't had any real charring of the wood in the new insulated core pieces. In any event as I think someone pointed out above the core is completely sealed off from the wooden body so even if charring does occur nothing get into the air path.

There isn't any functional difference between the full size pieces (like a Queen) and mini pieces like Twigs other than physical handling characteristics (ie small is sometimes easier to mate to a waterpipe) and some potential durability issues (ie thicker wood generally is more durable).

There is a small (unnoticeable to many people) heat difference between wood species with the Dogs made of lightweight woods being slightly (and I mean slightly) more hot, this is at the expense of comparable reduction in durability because of the softness of those woods.

Not sure if PD stems will fit, maybe someone else here can answer definitively.

What specifically do you mean re: replacing one of the glass stems for a fatty? If you mean 1 SGS (simple glass stem) for one WPB or XL1or2 then no sorry too big a price difference. On occasion I will give credit for the SGS stems when people don't want them so they can use that credit towards a 'fatty'. If that's what you're interested in just shoot me an email or message for details. :peace:

@ mwape - heya dude I haven't tried a Solo so can't really comment on that but yeah for best effect the UD bowls will need stirring these days. When the cores (older ones) were longer (including both the center tube and the core body) the hot air was more diffused when it reached the bowl but with the new smaller, insulated core with the shorter center tube the air is like a super heated jet in the middle of the tube so heats more in the center of the tube. Not sure how that compares to the Solo but that is what's going on in/with the UD.

Thanks Dave, I find that when I pack my UD I use my stirring tool to make a hole in the center of my mj and it actually makes for an even roast. I'll have to take some comparison photos for all my friends here in the dog pound to review. Regardless of roasting, I have to say that the efficiency of the UD is mind boggling. And this is the first vape of many that my wife actually takes interest in. She likes the solo and she loves the Buddha but since I adopted my underdog the other two have not been graced by her company. :( Dave, you just keep doing what you do sir, making kick ass vapes.

Peloton

Vapes Hard
center tube the air is like a super heated jet in the middle of the tube so heats more in the center of the tube.

Ooh... so that's how this thing works so well, there's miniature super heated jets in the core :razz:

@mvapes - I don't have a Solo either (yet), but I seem to get very even browning from my UD. And I stir between every hit also. How deep do you place your screens? That was my first thought when you mentioned uneven browning, because I experienced that when I had my screen set too close to the heater port.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
No prob VL always happy to answer questions. We're planning on a special next month so maybe that'll help you find a budget piece if you're looking for something along those lines.

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
trust me VapingLobster, its very well worth it especially since everything is lining up for you to get a Dog next month :tup: i've never looked back. Dave is always pumping out great toys for our Dogs too so it's always exciting down here in the Pound.

happyTrails

phishpanicjam
I am noticing that I don't get as even browning of my nugz with my UD versus lets say the solo. Weird thing is - I stir my UD stem between each and every hit but with the solo I almost never stir up my stems. Any advice?

mv, I have noticed that to some degree... I never have a problem when I stir a UD load once, but I am only putting a duggout sized bat load in there and my screen is pretty close to the core. With the Solo, I do not do any stirring and am easily putting 3-4 times as much in the stem. In both cases I tamp lightly with our handy friend, the nail. The Solo load is heated on all sides-all the time which, I think does two things; cooks more evenly with no stirring, but does it less efficiently via conduction. No doubt the UD conserves and tastes better. Dig the Solo big time for what it can do, but love the UD.

In both cases, the lab work is a blast:science:

edit; to answer the orriginal question LOL :rofl:Maybe try smaller, tighter loads and move your screen closer.

happyTrails,
Reactions: mvapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It works just as well as the 14mm version, lol.

It's basically the same, but with a shorter piece of the thinner silicon shoved in a 18 to 14mm low profile reducer adapter.

So all you need is a simple glass UD stem, one inch of the thinner silicon tubing, one inch of the thicker silicon tubing for the bowl (with a screen of course), and a similar reducer adapter.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ah, you prefer the thinner bowls. Yeah, that'll work too :tup:

edit: oh hey Stu, that GonG Wychwood bowl works great with the UD as well if you haven't tried it already. It works best if you don't put the screen in too deep so you can make a seal by touching the herbs with the top of the heater's center-tube.

OhTheAgony,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Ah, you prefer the thinner bowls. Yeah, that'll work too :tup:

edit: oh hey Stu, that GonG Wychwood bowl works great with the UD as well if you haven't tried it already. It works best if you don't put the screen in too deep so you can make a seal by touching the herbs with the top of the heater's center-tube.
I'll be damned, OTA, you're right! :rockon:

2 homework assignments in one day. Thank you professor. Your assingments are keeping me very medicated this Sunday. :freak:

:peace:

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, glad to be of service sir *tips hat*

& I know what you mean. I've also finally found a way to make the WW work as I want to tonight, so I've been going through quite a bit of 'test-material' on this rainy Sunday :dog:

But more about that in the WW thread tomorrow, I'm flying way to high to write something up that makes sense right now, plus I need some daylight to make pictures.

Have a good one Underdogs, I'm going for another round
super.gif

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: Stu

AdmiralAlpacha

Decided to make my first video to show off my new piece of glass. I know nothing about the brand but it hits super well, I paid 159 for it which I think was a bit too much but o well, I am happy with it.
Fog was a little wispy due to the low voltage in this room and my half ass lungs, but enjoy none the less!

AdmiralAlpacha,
Reactions: OhTheAgony

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
Left Coast? i picked up a straight tube of theirs about a month ago at my LHS. From what the store workers there tell me, and they seem to know their glass decently well, is that the blower for Illadelph had left them and began blowing for the company Left Coast. That's why when you compare the Left Coast downstem on your piece to an Illdelph downstem, they're very similar. But then again, they could've been blowing smoke up my ass for a sale :ko: regardless, i thought my Left Coast straight tube works pretty well with my UD.

HighlyEducatedScholar,

AdmiralAlpacha

I like mine a lot, I read your story online, aswell as one that said Illdelph put out thing saying they were lieing and it is cheap chinese knockoff glass. I can't find any evidence to support either, so I just take it for what I see it, which is a very nice tube at a decent price.

AdmiralAlpacha,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It's cool to see there are still many different ways how people use there vapes & water pieces. I've seen Djonko ripping out the whole downstem to clear his piece, & now a two finger pull from the Admiral :lol:

OhTheAgony,

AdmiralAlpacha

Haha I tend to hold a lot of things like a pencil, which is weird because my handwriting is awful XD

I thought of something last night Dave after foggin up. I use a 2pc grinder because I like the grind it gives plus I don't care much for saving keif, but the problem is I never have a place to dump it so I can suck it into my stem. I thought what if you made little wooden dishes that also have a spout type end on them so when I am done I can dump the remainder back into my grinder.

I don't know if that is something other people would use or not, but I know once I get my first pay check from this new job I would definitely be in the market for one :p I tried drawing up my idea maybe ill scan it and post it when I get home.

djonkoman

I also noticed nobody seems to take the downstem out like I do to clear, I like a very free flow in the end, the resistance of a regular breath, as an anticlimax to the slow inhalation before that(I do think that my method is a factor in the dirtiness of my bong though, snce everytimes spatters of water come uo to my mouth, dry n the glass and leave lime-spots(or however you cal it in english, the famous white residue from dried tapwater)

edit: for dumping out I like a piece of paper or a booklet or so, look for something with glossy paper(so the kief doesn't stick to it so much, I had a regular piece of paper I used to use and after a while you could see the kief stuck to/into the paper, the paper was partkly another color due to it)
at the moment I use the booklet that I got at a festival a while back(with the bands that performed, times, info on the bands, rules of the festival etc)
and I use it with a fold in the middle, so it's easier to grab it(or sometimes shove it from the paper straight in the bowl, but I like to take pinches more since I can hold the same paper underneath to catch pieces that fall next to the bowl/stem instead of in it

djonkoman,
Top Bottom