Underdog Log Vapes

Hi Dave

When is your next 'refresh' i.e. how often is the available catalog updated with new vapes?

Regards
clandestine

clandestine,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I am going to guess just from what I have noticed. It seems like on average about once a month he has a bunch of new pieces listed. Sometimes more, sometimes less often then that.

Slightly Medicated,
damn usps tracking is very not up to date. they usually dont deliver packages to my house unless they are really small so i went up there to see if its at the p.o. but it was on the truck and it updated the tracking while i was on the way. cant wait til 4 when i can plug in and fog out

foggy mornings,

Gandalf

Just received my new UD this afternoon and thought I'd drop in to share the experience so far. First of all, nice job on the packing Dave, and thank you for the extras!

My UD is a good deal smaller than my PD, which was a nice surprise. The wood design is beautiful and it looks fantastic on my desk.

I have to admit, I was not completely happy with the silicone stems at first glance because they seemed less like a finished product compared to the PD ones - I could make one of these things, and that says a lot coming from someone with no mechanical skills whatsoever.

Plugged it in and let it heat up for an hour before testing it. I was very surprised at how hot it is to hold - definitely hotter than my PD, but not uncomfortable.

I loaded a full PD stem's worth into the UD stem so I could compare the performance.

Then I had my first session with my UD, and WOW does this vaporizer perform.

The taste was great, very clean, and overall pretty similar to my PD. But I was taking these HUGE hits with the UD effortlessly. No technique to worry about. No resistance at all. It reminded me of taking a hit from my old SSV but from a log vape. This thing is powerful.

Not only that, I even got more hits than I typically would with my PD! It's incredibly efficient. And my ABV is a nice, even brown.

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with my UD and I'm looking forward to many sessions with it. Couldn't care less now about the silicone stems. In fact, I think I love them, because they're really easy to clean and they help produce tremendous clouds.

Very happy with my new purchase. I think I may even buy a nice glass bong now to go with it.

SD_haze

Just received my new UD this afternoon and thought I'd drop in to share the experience so far. First of all, nice job on the packing Dave, and thank you for the extras!

My UD is a good deal smaller than my PD, which was a nice surprise. The wood design is beautiful and it looks fantastic on my desk.

I have to admit, I was not completely happy with the silicone stems at first glance because they seemed less like a finished product compared to the PD ones - I could make one of these things, and that says a lot coming from someone with no mechanical skills whatsoever.

Plugged it in and let it heat up for an hour before testing it. I was very surprised at how hot it is to hold - definitely hotter than my PD, but not uncomfortable.

I loaded a full PD stem's worth into the UD stem so I could compare the performance.

Then I had my first session with my UD, and WOW does this vaporizer perform.

The taste was great, very clean, and overall pretty similar to my PD. But I was taking these HUGE hits with the UD effortlessly. No technique to worry about. No resistance at all. It reminded me of taking a hit from my old SSV but from a log vape. This thing is powerful.

Not only that, I even got more hits than I typically would with my PD! It's incredibly efficient. And my ABV is a nice, even brown.

Needless to say, I'm very impressed with my UD and I'm looking forward to many sessions with it. Couldn't care less now about the silicone stems. In fact, I think I love them, because they're really easy to clean and they help produce tremendous clouds.

Very happy with my new purchase. I think I may even buy a nice glass bong now to go with it.

Coming from the same log vape stems as the PD, I too felt underwhelmed by the simplicity of the silicone stems, but when you say "I could make one of these things", thats exactly the point.

Instead of spending $10 for an extra stem, you can buy 2 feet of tubing & a bag of screens for $10 and make twenty stems.
So now, I definitely like being able to make a new one !poof! whenever I want.

Last edited by a moderator:

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
Going on a month with my UD and it's been great. It is definitely one of the best vapes that I have ever used. I have been noticing some inconsitency in the temperature though as sometimes it seems to run hotter than others. A vv power supply is looking imminent now.

tranceporter,
having some outlet troubles myself but i found the good outlet thats getting it hot.
edit: actually it seems when i first plug it in and wait a half hour its real hot but after i start hitting it and pack a bowl or 2 it seems to start to cool down and the 2nd and 3rd pack do not get as brown as the first or produce a cloud like the first. any suggestions on how i can get this going better besides getting a vv since i have to wait a lil while before adding anything to the collection? thanks.

foggy mornings,

sunsett70

Dave, what kind of finishing process do you do on the UDs? is there a layer of varnish/polish involved, or do you leave the UD to it's natural state? thanks.

sunsett70,

AdmiralAlpacha

Anyone else as clumsy as me? I drop like every other stem lol, either knocking it off or it falling off, my weed always seems to end up on the floor :\

AdmiralAlpacha,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
@ darkrom - lol good point re: Apple haha

@ Gandalf - thanks for the feedback dude, glad you're enjoying your Pup

@ DrPiff - the stock power supply is unregulated so its output changes as your local line voltage does which means the heat will move around as well. A VVPS is the best way of addressing this in the long run.

@ foggy mornings - glad it showed up dude, the USPS usually does good job getting everything delivered on schedule but sometimes they slip up. You could be having some variation in your temps due to line voltage variation as I mentioned above or it could be that it's just not fully recovered heat before you hit it again.. kind of hard to say. Long term a VVPS is a good option for precisely dialing in temps. In the mean time some people have good luck putting something around the Dog like a coozy or a sock or something similar to increase insulation. If you do that just make sure you don't forget and leave it on there.

@ sunsett - standard UDs are finished with a food-safe organic walnut oil and shellac finish then buffed with a coat of bees wax and carnuba wax. Custom pieces are usually finished the same though occasionally people choose to have no finish, just oil, or wax, or whatever they specify.

@ AA - I've been known to make a mess too lol.. :lol:

Busy day in the shop today, got a bunch of pieces finished including a couple custom jobs that are heading out the door soon. Also got some good R&D work done and some equipment maintenance. Oh also finished up a handful of custom hybrid wood/glass stems.. need to get some pictures for you all. First I think I've earned a break for a bit.. ;) :peace:

cool thanks for the tips, it also seems to do something with the outlet it is on i keep moving it around and i found one that keeps it hot and helps me produce the vapor i need. im glad i figured it out pretty quickly. the underdog works great!

i think i read on here that people smoke hash with it, what is the recommended way? will it work to just throw it in the stem alone?

foggy mornings,

djonkoman

when I vape hash I use one of the silicone stems. throw in a few chunks, take a few hits to make it soft and stir the hash into smaller bits

thank you will give it a try right now

nah its not really making much of a cloud on the hash maybe ill try it again when i get more heat with a vv but it works great for herb now. i would think hash would vaportize at a lower or same temperature as the herb but guess not

Mod note: Please avoid back to back posts. Use your edit button to add to a post up to 6 hours after posting. Posts merged.

foggy mornings,

djonkoman

it does give less clouds as with weed, but I can get decent clouds from hash, with the stock power suply(and I'm in europe, so my stock one runs a bit lower)
the key is getting it going and breaking up, when I first load the hash I get no visible vapor at all, but I dp get taste. then after a few hits I stir it up to get smaller bits, then I get some thin vapor, then after some more hits I can get decent clouds. and the effect is clearly present eventough the clouds are a bit smaller

djonkoman,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I dont ever see any hash here, but I'm anxious to to try some stems with kief when my dog arrives! This is day one of my T-break also.

Peloton,

Gandalf

Not sure what happened with my UD. Plugged it back in today to the exact same power outlet as before, but it's significantly less hot. So much so that it's barely producing even a wisp of vapor. This is the same outlet that I run my PD on, and my PD is still working perfectly.

I just tried plugging it into a new outlet about 20 minutes ago, so we'll see if that helps.

Yesterday, the vape got SO hot that I could barely hold it in my hands unless I held the whole thing from the bottom. Looking down into the UD, I could see an orange glow. But today, there's no glow, and no vapor.

I'll keep you informed and let you know if it heats up properly on this other outlet I'm trying. I've been using the power adapter that comes with it the whole time.

Gandalf,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Not sure what happened with my UD. Plugged it back in today to the exact same power outlet as before, but it's significantly less hot. So much so that it's barely producing even a wisp of vapor. This is the same outlet that I run my PD on, and my PD is still working perfectly.

I just tried plugging it into a new outlet about 20 minutes ago, so we'll see if that helps.

Yesterday, the vape got SO hot that I could barely hold it in my hands unless I held the whole thing from the bottom. Looking down into the UD, I could see an orange glow. But today, there's no glow, and no vapor.

I'll keep you informed and let you know if it heats up properly on this other outlet I'm trying. I've been using the power adapter that comes with it the whole time.

Orange glow and that hot is not a good sign IMO. I believe Dave has said you should not see it glowing at all.

Time to check the voltage of that line and send it back to Dave for inspection/repair IMO.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Gandalf - while I can't say definitively I would guess that the mixed results are a result of variations in your power grid. Many people experience a high grid voltage during times that use of the grid is low (like night, or holidays when industry is shut down) and drops during high use times (like day or when it's hot and lots of ACs are used). If this is the case your options are somewhat limited with the easiest options to try being the use of a voltage conditioner or a VVPS. I haven't priced conditioners recently but I would expect them to be more expensive than a consumer grade VVPS (like tattoo machine ones).

@ darkrom - I was mistaken on the glow and just hadn't noticed it until you guys brought it to my attention a while back. Probably the fact that I usually am a low-voltage/low-heat guy made it less noticeable until I tried to see it after you guys reported it. Anyways the glow is ok and will start to be noticeable at around 13+ volts.

underdog,

Gandalf

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I just checked it on the other outlet and it's getting plenty hot. Haven't tested it yet but at this temperature I'm confident that it will vaporize just as well as it did yesterday.

I'm a little bummed that it doesn't work consistently on the first outlet I tried because that has been consistent for over a year now with the PD. I may just have to buy a VVPS to keep at the right temp.

Does anybody have a suggestion on which VVPS to buy that fits the UD perfectly? I'd prefer not having a loose connection. Thanks!

Gandalf,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ SD - yeah the stock power supplies are unregulated DC supplies so their output directly reflects changes in line voltage.

@ Gandolf - ok dude keep us posted if you have more problems, I'm guessing it's just fluctuations in line voltage but always good to have as much info as possible. I'll let other people chime in on the subject of a VVPS since I haven't shopped for any in a while.. if no one does I'll dig some info up for you. :peace:

underdog,
Top Bottom