Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
Dave, which part of the UD would die first if I hook it up to a too high a voltage for a too long time? Is it one of the electronic components or are you more worried about the wooden exterior? Have you blown up or melted anything while testing, & if so, how much/long did it take to go boom?

Hey OTA - I do have some data from earlier testing but don't have it here on my trip and I can't remember much off the top of my head. In most pieces the earliest point of failure is electronic, especially in an Ash piece like yours. I'll have to look up the actual numbers when I get home.

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
The screen is as close to the heater as possible. It's placed so it will put my 0,08 to 0,1 (ish) loads against the metal mouth, any closer and the material would be pushed in the heater.

My material does fall into the heater. Not into the wood past the heater, but inside the heater itself sure. Also, when I run it at 13v I notice a pretty large difference in temperature, definitely not just a little boost.

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well Just.. tested the headband again.. And i got darker ABV for sure... It even tasted a bit overcooked at last drawl.. like coffee or smth.. I don't like that bitterness of the high temps.

Abysmal Vapor,

Vapemania

charliedontsurf said:
I'm just taking nutty stabs in the dark here based on the presented temperatures of other vapes and my own perceptions, but I'd guesstimate my UD runs at around 360F at 12V and about 380 at 13V. I've never tried the coozie approach to the issue.

Wikipedia is saying the bio-active agents vaporise between 300F to 413F.
There's not much more scientific study into this, but this can be a useful guide, I supose.

However, without a thermometer in the herb chamber, we can only make guesses at the temp, as you've said.
Although experienced vapists will be pretty clued up on temps, obviously.

But given draw speed, ambient temp in the room, etc etc affecting the temp in the herb chamber, then knowing the heating temp will be extremely difficult. IMO.
However, judging from people's opinion, it appears that more bio-active agents (the stuff that gives you the hit) are released nearer the upper heat levels (i.e. 400F and above).

In which case, it would be a good idea to conserve the ABV for edibles or to re-use it elsewhere.
But it seems this is something you experienced vapists are already doing.

Polar fleece (PBT) is a man-made fabric used by mountaineers to keep warm (as mentioned by AV).
This may be an excellent adjustment for the device.
There's also the voltage thing, but TBH I don't know anything about that.

Vapemania,

treecityrnd

I'll take this one Dogs...
Vapemeister said:
Wikipedia is saying the bio-active agents vaporise between 300F to 413F.
There's not much more scientific study into this...
There is so much more than you know. Please, please, please stop assuming things or at least stop and search before you post...Vaporization temperature dependent selection of effects. This is only one example. And I would suggest not using Wiki as a reference.

Vapemeister said:
...we can only make guesses at the temp, as you've said.
No, the Head Dog said, "I do have some data from earlier testing but don't have it here on my trip and I can't remember much off the top of my head... I'll have to look up the actual numbers when I get home."

BTW - Also don't assume about the technology we have for measuring the temperature at the point of vaporization. If you want to see some data, check out almost any thread and READ. But the Cloud is a good place to start. Again, please stop assuming...and especially misquoting the Dog himself.

As for the rest of your post...was there a point?

treecityrnd,

scottio19

scotty
OhTheAgony said:
Does yours gets as hot as mine from the outside btw? I suspect it gets over 50 degrees (Celsius) at times. There are hot spots at the height of the heater opening and about an inch above the power plug on mine.

Yes, mine is hot to the touch after like an hour, but I can hold it without it being uncomfortable. If I try putting it against my neck or cheek- which I did alot to warm up over the winter- it is too hot to keep on for more than a few seconds.

I have the same hotspots area as you, I'm just glad it doesn't get too hot near the power plug because my twig is only 3.5 inches tall.

I have my screen closest to the heater as well. I can get it to a dark brown by vapor-bonging and drawing slowly. I have one of the densest woods, purpleheart, so that may counteract the fact that the smaller-sized logs get hotter.

scottio19,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I've been on an "UD Break" to use my new portable and give myself some time off from those powerful hits that I know and love. I know the next time I use it I'm going to be in a pleasant fog.

darkrom,

scottio19

scotty
Made another cozy or coozy or whatever it is. This time, out of bubble wrap and duct tape. It definitely got the temp up, but did not make it heat up faster. It just took the normal 25-30 mins to heat up, then kept going and at about 40 mins produced slightly darker abv and less lighter pieces of bud. Need to rethink the duct tape though, either it left a slightly tacky residue on my twig or the underbutter got re-melted. Probably the duct tape.

I really like the bubble wrap as a material though. Provides grip for my dog, my hand feels no heat, and it'll be indestructible if I or one of my many stoner friends drops it (extends from base to a few mm above top of wood). Don't care too much for aesthetics, function is what I desire. I'll doodle on it with a sharpie pen tomorrow or something.

EDIT: with more use, I found that it can produce not just slightly darker abv, but much darker.

scottio19,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
As i said.. try polar if you can ! It is cheap + it is meant for thermoisulation.. Paper is good isolator too.. Just wrap some A4 blank and then paper or duct tape or band..
I am getting at least 2 tonnes darker abv with the cozy/.
I

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Gonzo said:
Thanks for the clarification OTA. Really wish you could get the experience I was getting with mine. Would something like this allow you to safely turn up the power.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Tattoo-Power-Supply-HY1502C/dp/B000MT3GCI

I have been using this with one of my larger UD's and run it at 13.5 when vaping and turn it back down to 12 when leaving it idle. Just throwing out ideas :p

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try one of those as soon as I can afford the one I want.

underdog said:
Hey OTA - I do have some data from earlier testing but don't have it here on my trip and I can't remember much off the top of my head. In most pieces the earliest point of failure is electronic, especially in an Ash piece like yours. I'll have to look up the actual numbers when I get home.

Awesome Dave, I'll email you about it in a week or so.

darkrom said:
My material does fall into the heater. Not into the wood past the heater, but inside the heater itself sure. Also, when I run it at 13v I notice a pretty large difference in temperature, definitely not just a little boost.

Doesn't it burn when it falls in there? I always make sure this doesn't happen and my UD actually has never stood upright fully loaded so far. I usually insert a stem with the unit upside down, take a hit and then I either lay it down on it's side for a few seconds in between hits or pull out the stem to stir the bowl.

I'll have a look at a little jacket for the pup as well, but in all honesty I think people who dress dogs are at least a little crazy.. :p

Oh Scotty, thanks for the info again. Seems like ours really are a lot alike. Mine is not even a 1/4 of an inch taller than yours btw.

OhTheAgony,

Vapemania

treecityrnd said:
As for the rest of your post...was there a point?

Yes, my friend.
A very important point.
You just don't get it.

But others will.
Such is life.

scottio19 said:
Made another cozy or coozy or whatever it is.

Lol!
Yes, I was always confused with 'coozy', but it's such a nice-sounding word.
I would call it a 'cosy', as in tea cosy.
Another cool word is 'tooty'!!

This time, out of bubble wrap and duct tape. It definitely got the temp up, but did not make it heat up faster.

That is a genius idea!
'Function follows form', as they say.
I think bubble wrap originally intended their product for wallpaper and greenhouse insulation (whatever that is).
But it shows how bubble wrap is a good insulator.

I also read that polystyrene makes for good thermal insulation.
Recently bought a panini press and it comes packaged in polystyrene.
If a block of it can be extruded, then you can stick the Dog in that!
Apparently, the gas cells of the polystyrene are unconnected so it inhibits convection.

Keeping the device airtight is also important for insulation.
But I'm not sure how that can be achieved.

Abysmal Vapor said:
I am getting at least 2 tonnes darker abv with the cozy/.

Hey AV, send a pic of your cozy!!!

Vapemania,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
Gonzo said:
Thanks for the clarification OTA. Really wish you could get the experience I was getting with mine. Would something like this allow you to safely turn up the power.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-Tattoo-Power-Supply-HY1502C/dp/B000MT3GCI

I have been using this with one of my larger UD's and run it at 13.5 when vaping and turn it back down to 12 when leaving it idle. Just throwing out ideas :p

Yeah, I think I'm gonna try one of those as soon as I can afford the one I want.

underdog said:

Awesome Dave, I'll email you about it in a week or so.

darkrom said:

Doesn't it burn when it falls in there? I always make sure this doesn't happen and my UD actually has never stood upright fully loaded so far. I usually insert a stem with the unit upside down, take a hit and then I either lay it down on it's side for a few seconds in between hits or pull out the stem to stir the bowl.

I'll have a look at a little jacket for the pup as well, but in all honesty I think people who dress dogs are at least a little crazy.. :p

Oh Scotty, thanks for the info again. Seems like ours really are a lot alike. Mine is not even a 1/4 of an inch taller than yours btw.

I am yet to have ANY burning charring or combustion aspects at all no matter what stupid things I do lol. I almost wonder if the fact that you don't use it upright could be making your ABV lighter. Heat rises after all. It seems like it WILL NOT burn by leaving it just sitting in the bowl, probably because it is a convection vape.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
darkrom said:
I almost wonder if the fact that you don't use it upright could be making your ABV lighter. Heat rises after all.

I do not like the idea of herb going in to my dog with the fine grind I use, but this does require a test I guess. Brb trying this out.

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I grind it as fine as I did with my MFLB, which is literally as fine as I could manage to get it with my space case 2 pc. It's barely bigger than kief lol.

I hope you like it :)

darkrom,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
OTA, I always load my PD with it standing upright, and have been doing so for years. There isn't even a screen in the heat port. A bit of herb does occasionally fall down the hole, but it's no big deal. I turn the PD upside down every few days and give it a tap. The stuff just falls straight out. The standard PD stems do hold the herb in place better than the silicone UD stems though.

If you're interested in those tattoo power supplies, there are plenty of cheap ones on ebay, for example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cast-Iro...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item870d664fba
I've ordered one myself.

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Well, funny enough the bowl stopped producing vapor at an even lighter ABV color this way, lol

It seems best to take the bowls out completely in between hits after that little experiment, and to stick to keeping the UD upside down when in use. Which I am used to since that's how I've always used my Solo as well.

edit: never mind, it seems to be this strain that is giving me less hits per bowl, more testing is required :D

Hazy; there is no Amperage rating on that one, correct? Have you emailed the seller about the specs?

I had my eye on this one: click me but it has the same problem and apparently often people that sell these things on ebay don't even know what an Amp or mAh is. I think I'd rather spend my money just once on a good one and go with the slightly more professional variable PSU I found locally. I don't have an internet link to it, but it's pretty similar to the ones Dave uses in his shop that he posted somewhere in this thread before.

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
I did email them about it and it is rated for 2A. The one you're looking at seems similar, just without the digital display. These things are so cheap that I thought it was worth the risk.

hazy,

weedemon

enthusiast
all you guys talking about putting cozys on your dogs... haha i think mine runs a little hot for my liking. I moved the screen to 2 cm away from my lips and finally it is lasting more than 3(2 delicious and one that is gross) hits before i have used it and it tastes nasty and scorched

so i looked at the power adapter it's a 12c 1200mA then i looked at my PD adapter. it's a 12 v 1000mA adapter. so i plugged it in instead (still within the 1000-2000 mA as UD himself said it should be within)

the result? a cooler doggie that lasts 8 hits that are pretty much all tasty. it just stops producing vapor instead of leaving black marks on my herbs.

just wanted to share my experieince

weedemon,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Nice to put things in perspective a bit WD, I guess it again is just a matter of preference.

I really hated the taste of thoroughly vaped bud when I first started vaping. But I found that it did save me from vaping a lot of consecutive bowls, and I guess my greediness motivated me enough to not only get used to the taste but grown to love it even. As a converting smoker I just need those high temp goodies to be satisfied.

True @ Hazy, of course there isn't a real risk at those prices. Let us know how you like it please. Which vape(s?) will you be using it with btw?

OhTheAgony,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
^ my thoughts exactly.

OhTheAgony said:
True @ Hazy, of course there isn't a real risk at those prices. Let us know how you like it please. Which vape(s?) will you be using it with btw?
I've only got the PD at the moment, but that could change in the not-so-distant future ;)

hazy,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I used to have this stuffed bear with a leather jacket (and flight helmet with goggles). It would be kinda cool if I still had that and my UD would fit the jacket. But paper and bubble wrap is a bit of shame too imo. Nevertheless, mine is wearing a new and unused black thermo sock atm... :rolleyes:

OhTheAgony,

Vapemania

weedemon said:
all you guys talking about putting cozys on your dogs... haha i think mine runs a little hot for my liking. I moved the screen to 2 cm away from my lips and finally it is lasting more than 3(2 delicious and one that is gross) hits before i have used it and it tastes nasty and scorched
so i looked at the power adapter it's a 12c 1200mA then i looked at my PD adapter. it's a 12 v 1000mA adapter. so i plugged it in instead (still within the 1000-2000 mA as UD himself said it should be within)
the result? a cooler doggie that lasts 8 hits that are pretty much all tasty. it just stops producing vapor instead of leaving black marks on my herbs.
just wanted to share my experieince

Can you send a pic of your UD?

Vapemania,

zymos

BTW, a higher amp rating on a power supply doesn't mean it is always supplying more current than one with a lower rating- it just means it has the capacity to give more power, if the device being powered is drawing more . IOW, a higher rated ps is probably not going to make a dog run hotter.

zymos,

scottio19

scotty
for those hating on my ugly cozies, you should see the dark chocolate ABV I just got right now! :D Went from the normal light/darkish brown to a nice even dark brown after I made the change. Now I have absolutely no need to buy a variable power supply, since I will only be using it at night.. or with kief when I want to dome it all in one huge thick hit.

and the layer of bubblewrap isn't even as thick as you think it is. only half a centimeter. thin coozy, huge effect.

abysmal, your polar fleece idea sounds much easier on the eyes and comfortable, I will take your advice to heart. I looked it up on amazon, polar fleece blankets are only $8. I'll look for it next time I go to an outdoors store.

scottio19,
Top Bottom