Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, no problem dude. I pretty much have it covered. I just finish the bowls with my Vapocane for now, it gives me another 4-5 hits after the puppy is done with it. The two of them seem to go pretty well together that way, since I often have trouble keeping the temps low with the Cane.

How's your trip going so far? Is it purely a business thing or are you and the misses getting a chance to relax a bit as well?

Abe; it's not so much my manliness/sexuality but my UD experience. Also, your mother must have a pretty weird pair of breasts judging by the looks of both your dogs :uhoh:

Also:

ron-jeremy-ad.jpg

:p :lol:

:peace:

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
LOL..
My trip is ongoing.. but i had to made a stop cuz of the bad weather.. I spent last 48 hours almost sleepless trying to install remote control software so i can access software on my harddisc from wherever i am.. LOL... .I had to try 10 different things.. and Thanx to an FC member i made it,.. ! I hope my Home PC does not stop working cuz of low temps (-20 C and all frozen and snowed up ..)or electric shut out... cuz i will be fired... :D LOL>..
Had to combine martial arts with boring accounting somehow... So from tomorrow i am getting beat up all day and do boring accounting and vape myself to death... at night... I hope i last long enough >..

Abysmal Vapor,

Vapemania

underdog said:
@ - Vapemeister - pretty much what everyone has already said is correct. The type and size of the wooden body used in UDs (and most other logs) does affect how hot the piece runs. Unlike early generations of logs the UD core is capable of providing vaping temps with the use of almost any wood and do it without the charring of the past.

Thanks for the reply, UD.
So the UD core can reliably achieve vaping temps with any type of wood and does not char the wood inside.

The new Twig is probably the best model UD available (from people's reviews).
If someone requested a much larger log (for health reasons, for example), but with the same core as a Twig, can they hope to vape as well as someone with a conventional Twig?

Vapemania,
MarcellusWiley said:
but if log vapes are dicks...then are underdogs red rockets?

:uhoh:
We need a new topic :) I will start and ask has anyone used essential oils in their UD yet? I ordered some a couple days ago and look forward to trying them out when they arrive. If anyone feels like giving me their :2c: then post what your favorite essential oil is. So far Ive ordered orange, lemon, and eucalyptus but I feel it wont be the last time ordering. :peace:

JoeFinny,
Vapemeister said:
The new Twig is probably the best model UD available (from people's reviews).
If someone requested a much larger log (for health reasons, for example), but with the same core as a Twig, can they hope to vape as well as someone with a conventional Twig?

No. What criteria are you using to come to the conclusion that the Twig is the "best model"? All UDs currently made have the exact same core, whether they're the smallest twig or the largest log. As Dave just confirmed for you:

"The type and size of the wooden body used in UDs (and most other logs) does affect how hot the piece runs."

Again, bigger units will run cooler, and therefore not "vape as well."

Also, how would using a larger log have any impact on health?

OKcomputer,

Abysmal Vapor

Q:Also, how would using a larger log have any impact on health?
A:Using bigger logs will result in using more overall material.. = more trees killed.. =crapier air.. = health problems..

Abysmal Vapor,

Vapemania

OKcomputer said:

Do you know why that is?

Abysmal Vapor said:
A:Using bigger logs will result in using more overall material.. = more trees killed.. =crapier air.. = health problems..

Lol! Good point, sir.
Not to mention the issue of global warming too!
The ice caps are melting, and we all have to do our bit as responsible citizens!
We can't all be ignorant fools, can we!

Vapemania,

stroh

errl enthusiast
bigger units run slightly cooler, that is for certain. as to why this happens, my best guess is it requires more heat to maintain the temperature of the larger body. also due to the larger surface area, the heat isn't as concentrated as in a smaller piece, it must be distributed over a much greater area, resulting in less overall heat.

being the owner of quite possibly the largest and smallest underdogs, i can say that the difference in heat up times and retained heat is monumental. the tortuga can still produce decent clouds, but the maple twig kicks its butt in the heat department as far as hit and retention goes.

stroh,
MarcellusWiley said:
where do you guys order essential oils for use with the UD? thought I might give some a try.

I ordered them online from amazon, however I found out from a friend that there are many shops locally where I live that I could have gotten some in 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Look for them in vitamin/organic food stores etc.

JoeFinny,

Vapemania

stroh said:
bigger units run slightly cooler, that is for certain. as to why this happens, my best guess is it requires more heat to maintain the temperature of the larger body. also due to the larger surface area, the heat isn't as concentrated as in a smaller piece, it must be distributed over a much greater area, resulting in less overall heat.

being the owner of quite possibly the largest and smallest underdogs, i can say that the difference in heat up times and retained heat is monumental. the tortuga can still produce decent clouds, but the maple twig kicks its butt in the heat department as far as hit and retention goes.

Thanks for that excellent reply, Stroh.
It answers my question.
Pax Vobiscum.

Vapemania,

scottio19

scotty
Vapemeister said:
OKcomputer said:

Do you know why that is?

Abysmal Vapor said:

Lol! Good point, sir.
Not to mention the issue of global warming too!
The ice caps are melting, and we all have to do our bit as responsible citizens!
We can't all be ignorant fools, can we!

Solids conduct heat much easier than air, because the molecules are more tightly packed together. Seems counter-intuitive, but that extra wood mass on the larger logs is just drawing heat from the core faster.

btw I got an A+ in AP Biology this semester..

to go on, that is also why the denser woods run cooler. the molecules are more closely packed, and therefore it is much easier to lose heat. denser objects may take longer to heat up and start losing heat to the air, which is why some would say they trap heat better. truth is, there are just more molecules to excite, and denser materials will still draw more heat from the core than less dense, it might just take longer for you to notice it.

coming back around to the first topic, gases (the air around your log) are the least dense substance. wouldn't that make air a great insulator? YES, the HI (heat island) log vape relies completely on this theory.

scottio19,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
JoeFinny said:
MarcellusWiley said:
where do you guys order essential oils for use with the UD? thought I might give some a try.

I ordered them online from amazon, however I found out from a friend that there are many shops locally where I live that I could have gotten some in 10 minutes :rolleyes:

Look for them in vitamin/organic food stores etc.

ah good idea. i have a couple places in mind now!

MarcellusWiley,

Vapemania

scottio19 said:
Solids conduct heat much easier than air, because the molecules are more tightly packed together. Seems counter-intuitive, but that extra wood mass on the larger logs is just drawing heat from the core faster.
btw I got an A+ in AP Biology this semester..
to go on, that is also why the denser woods run cooler. the molecules are more closely packed, and therefore it is much easier to lose heat. denser objects may take longer to heat up and start losing heat to the air, which is why some would say they trap heat better. truth is, there are just more molecules to excite, and denser materials will still draw more heat from the core than less dense, it might just take longer for you to notice it.
coming back around to the first topic, gases (the air around your log) are the least dense substance. wouldn't that make air a great insulator? YES, the HI (heat island) log vape relies completely on this theory.

Thanks so much dude.

I'm a postgraduate myself, but know nothing about wood.
There are many experts here.
But I can tell good advice when I see it.
Your post is much appreciated.

The vape world is very complicated!

Vapemania,

scottio19

scotty
no problem Vapemeister. I totally get what you mean when you say you'd like a larger log, more to love and show off to your pals, right? A bigger package makes you feel like you are getting what you are paying for.

Personally, I based my purchase solely on performance. Bigger was tempting, but their only advantage was durability and looks. A small twig (I made sure to buy the smallest) was just what I needed, because of its ease of use through a bong, its discrete-ness for vape-boxing my car with my friends, and the fact that I could carry it from place to place because I only use it at my house half the time.

OhTheAgony, have you tried constructing a "coozy" to raise the temperature of your UD? I just made one out of a paper towel roll and duct tape, will report back later this week when I have a chance to use it. I have the same problem as you, the set temp just doesn't cut it when I want those night-time goodies.

scottio19,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Interesting Scotty, so I am not alone on this one. It's especially funny since we both piked twig sized dogs, which are supposed to run the hottest.

I took mine to bed with me and laid it underneath the blankets for a while to try and make it run hotter yesterday, but it doesn't seem to gain much. The pup feels warmer on the outside after ten minutes or more, but I don't really notice an increased performance. Normally when in use I lay it on it's side on the couch next to me, this seems to have about the same effect.

Best improvement I had so far was taking out all extension chords and such out of the loop, my puppy seems really sensitive to those.

It does vape well though, I've never seen a vape produce so much vapor out of so little product. Unfortunately it simply stops extracting at a certain point.

Does yours gets as hot as mine from the outside btw? I suspect it gets over 50 degrees (Celsius) at times. There are hot spots at the height of the heater opening and about an inch above the power plug on mine.

OhTheAgony,
My 3/8" core Underdog also runs a little cool for my liking, Agony. It's a knockout on every other level, but it simply does not get hot enough to be my one-and-only vape. When I use it I'll keep a seperate ABV pile for its remains and then load them into something that can get hotter, which is the Q mostly these days. If it had another 20 - 40F degrees operating temperature I would have no complaints whatsoever. Running at 13V helps a little but I feel unsafe doing it - I'll use it for five minute bursts only.

Mine definitely gets warm but never uncomfortably hot. Rather pleasantly so when it's a cold day!

charliedontsurf,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm really tempted to try mine on a higher voltage, but I'll need to buy another PSU before I can first. I saw a really nice adjustable PSU that could feed several units at once when I was at the electronics shop last Monday but I can't really afford it right now. I got myself a huge speeding ticket just before I left for Spain the other week, which financially crippled me for the next few months to come :(

Does the extra volt(s?) give you a clearly noticeable temperature increase, or is it more like a little edge? I think I need at least 10 to 15 degrees more in Celsius to get the ABV the color I'd like it to be.

Dave, which part of the UD would die first if I hook it up to a too high a voltage for a too long time? Is it one of the electronic components or are you more worried about the wooden exterior? Have you blown up or melted anything while testing, & if so, how much/long did it take to go boom?

I too keep an extra ABV jar especially for the Dog now. But I've adjusted the screen in my Cane to match my Dogs bowl size so I can just blow the load from one bowl to another easily too. I don't mind this new ritual now that I'm at home a lot, but it will be a bit annoying in the summer when I want to vape out while camping and biking. I need moah powah! /Jeremy Clarkson-mode

Mine gets a bit to hot to hold comfortably after an hour or two - three, but that may also be me...I've gotten very soft office-hands over the last few years, and I don't really play the guitar enough anymore to develop any significant calluses either..my hands got girly damned :|

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
How close is your screen to the heater core OTA? Are you using the thick walled stem or the thin walled stem?

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm using the thicker stems now Gonzo. I've cut one of them up in to three short bowls to use with my waterpipe.

The screen is as close to the heater as possible. It's placed so it will put my 0,08 to 0,1 (ish) loads against the metal mouth, any closer and the material would be pushed in the heater.

OhTheAgony,
The same way I have my stems, the screen is as close to the heater as reasonable.

To answer your question OTA, a 13V voltage does produce a darker hue of ABV for me, not hugely so though. I'm just taking nutty stabs in the dark here based on the presented temperatures of other vapes and my own perceptions, but I'd guesstimate my UD runs at around 360F at 12V and about 380 at 13V. I've never tried the coozie approach to the issue.

charliedontsurf,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Are you using the Jameco power supply or the new larger heavier supply Dave is offering? bothe my twigs are producing a chocolate brown color ABV with the new larger power supply.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Funny CDS, 360 is where I guesstimated mine as well. I think it went up to 365 after taking the extensions chords out of the power line. That is a nice increase though, for just one volt. I wonder if it could safely take a half more for just a short time.

Me Gonzo? I'm in 220V land, mine came with a V-Infinity PSU which doesn't really do the job. I also got the car adapter and that is what I'm using in combination with a 220V to 12V DC inverter.

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

Hey OTA.. I've found that the perfect cozy is polar headband (for snowboarding,skiing).. Polar is a great matirial.. very nice to the touch.. and very helpful in retaining your body temp..
Sometime when it is very cold and my dog cannot heat enough.. I just roll the band around it.. and it is kickin ass again :p.
+1 ..
Once my second dog hits home soil i have eyes on a very nice variable power supply at the local shack.. :p .. It even has remote control lol...

Abysmal Vapor,
Top Bottom