Underdog Log Vapes

Vapemania

Of course I'm interested in a UD.
Just like everyone else!

However, price is important to me.
As well as efficiency and herb conservation.
A single wood with large diameter and height would be nice.

My feeling is that most people want a big piece of wood for their log vape.
However, I'm no accountant.
So I'm not sure if that's possible.

Even so, if someone showed a log vape in their palm and another showed a log vape in two hands, then I think most will prefer the latter.
But as I say, I'm not an accountant.

Vapemania,

jackmormon

SD_Haze,

I would suggest the first one most definitely. I have used both and definitely prefer the 90 degree whip adapter. This is the only way I use the UD. I cut off about 1/3 of the stock stem and stuck one of adapters into the end of the stem until I got an airtight seal. Direct inject for glass :)

jackmormon,

SD_haze

jackmormon said:
SD_Haze,

I would suggest the first one most definitely. I have used both and definitely prefer the 90 degree whip adapter. This is the only way I use the UD. I cut off about 1/3 of the stock stem and stuck one of adapters into the end of the stem until I got an airtight seal. Direct inject for glass :)

To clarify do you mean the ssv adapter or the hotbox adapter?
Because the first one I posted isnt 90 degree :p

SD_haze,

jackmormon

Hotbox adapter. You can find them cheaper at ALT. That is where I purchased the ones I use. They don't look any different than the hotbox adapter so may be cheaper with FC discount.

jackmormon,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Vapemeister said:
Even so, if someone showed a log vape in their palm and another showed a log vape in two hands, then I think most will prefer the latter.
How did you figure that out? The smaller size is a huge step forward in the log vape world. Smaller is easier to handle (especially with glassware), and it is also more efficient. A lot of energy is wasted keeping a big lump of wood warm.

hazy,
hazy said:
Vapemeister said:
How did you figure that out? The smaller size is a huge step forward in the log vape world. Smaller is easier to handle (especially with glassware), and it is also more efficient. A lot of energy is wasted keeping a big lump of wood warm.

Oh, c'mon hazy. Wouldn't you prefer a two-handed cellphone? A two-handed tv remote? A two-handed french fry?

OKcomputer,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I don't know what you guys would prefer to buy (ok actually I do) but I would much prefer to make two-handed size vapes.. much easier to make a full size (or larger) one than a small one like a Twig! :lol:

underdog,

GO!!bot

hazy said:
Vapemeister said:

Yup i'm kinda with this

I've had a few logs now starting with an original myrtlezap, and I really do like the size of the smaller CRZ a lot more for pretty much everything

sucks if they are harder to make, but those twigs are why I keep coming back to this thread!!!!

GO!!bot,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
OKcomputer said:
Oh, c'mon hazy. Wouldn't you prefer a two-handed cellphone? A two-handed tv remote? A two-handed french fry?
:lol:

I got a good laugh out of that, but then I realised there probably are people who would like two-handed french fry :uhoh:

hazy,

SD_haze

jackmormon said:
Hotbox adapter. You can find them cheaper at ALT. That is where I purchased the ones I use. They don't look any different than the hotbox adapter so may be cheaper with FC discount.

Not actually cheaper on ALT.

puffitup has -15% discount to all FC members, free shipping to USA, and right now he's giving away fuckcombustion lanyards at no charge :brow:

but thanks for clarification, adapter ordered!

SD_haze,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well it works but don't u still have to hold you vape while heating ? Both with the straight and the angled...
The gong mouthpiece from the gnome gong vape .. which goes for 10-15$ and allows your vape to stand on your bubbler..
He also does any angles you like ( cost 20 $ for angled male to male gong with a wonderful bead).
+ -FuckCombustion members will receive a 15% discount on all prices as well as free shipping to the US

21vcc3.jpg

Btw some of my angled adaptors got glass screen ... so sometimes i load directly in the glass bowl if my material isnt powdered dry..
I have also very nice 120 degrees angled adaptor which works very fine with my stemless pieces.

Abysmal Vapor,

Vapemania

hazy said:

The wood in the log vape is not actually heated up or kept warm.
It's an insulator, so it just needs to keep heat in.
If you feel heat on your log, then that is heat escaping.
If there is no heat on the log, then all the heat is being retained in the heating core for vaping the herb.
I'm guessing that thicker, larger wood will be more effective in doing this.

I don't think a small wood size also affects efficiency.
Essentially, it is the quality of the heating core which will govern efficiency.
If the wood was important for efficiency, then there wouldn't be so many different types of wood and sizes.

Of course, a log vape may be used with glassware.
But that should be a secondary purpose.
Also, the stem port of the log is attached to the glassware.
Whatever the size of the log, the stem port will always be the same.

I have noticed a lot of people send pics of their log vapes.
It is mostly about appreciating the wood.
In which case, which is better? More wood or less wood?
If you liked apples, would you prefer a small apple or a big apple?

Even so, if I had a small apple and everyone else had a big apple, then I suppose I might tell everyone that smaller apples were better.

Vapemania,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
darkrom said:
OTA what temp on the solo are you trying to get the ABV?

I only ask because with my solos I had darker and crispier ABV than any other vape ever if I used the higher settings. That being said it was BLACK and disgusting. I really think it was from the bud touching the bowl and actually scorching. I found the solo ABV to be REALLY disgusting at anything above say 4 out of 7.

I'm wondering if you have the tools to try to make a batch of qwiso or something with your underdog ABV to see how much is REALLY left in that bud. My ABV is generally lighter in my UD than other vapes I've used, but I tend to leave bigger bowls anyway.

I always start a Solo bowl at 4 or 5 and end it at 7. I need the thorough extraction to be satisfied. My UD gets the ABV to the same color as the Solo does on setting 2 or 3 at the moment, even though it produces way phatter clouds than a Solo ever could at that setting.

But I'm afraid this golden/light brown/dark green ABV doesn't cut it for me.

I really enjoy using this pretty little wooden vape, and even though I still experience the silicon bowls as cheap they do work well. I like the easy loading/stirring and the way it is able to produce thick vapor so quick and easy. But realistically I just need a hotter vape. I go through way to much weed the way this thing extracts. I need to somehow supe this thing up soon or I'm afraid I'll have to start looking at other vapes again :(

Magic, I have the 30' extension chords and it does make my UD run slightly cooler. Not sure if it would be as noticeable with a chord half that length though.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Vapemeister said:
hazy said:

If there is no heat on the log, then all the heat is being retained in the heating core for vaping the herb.

Essentially, it is the quality of the heating core which will govern efficiency.
If the wood was important for efficiency, then there wouldn't be so many different types of wood and sizes.

I have noticed a lot of people send pics of their log vapes.
It is mostly about appreciating the wood.
In which case, which is better? More wood or less wood?
If you liked apples, would you prefer a small apple or a big apple?

Even so, if I had a small apple and everyone else had a big apple, then I suppose I might tell everyone that smaller apples were better.

I prefer applesauce myself.

OhTheAgony,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
:lol: small apples! Or a big ol' sour cooking apple?

we've been here before
Vapemania said:
Think of every item in your house which has a PA.
Is there anything smaller than a log vape?

I'm just used to having larger, more substantial electronic products around the house.
My landline telephone is the only thing smaller. Barely.

Essentially, a portable vape should be smaller than an Iphone.

A table top should be the size of a small vase.
If it sits on my table, I want it to take pride of place.

:lmao: The small vase line is what stuck in my mind for some reason

But anyway, to judge a lump of wood by it's size is failing to see the 'wood for the trees'. And to the human eye there is also something of small is beautiful principle that can come into play, not to mention the different aesthetic qualities of the wood at that scale; on a larger piece your eye might not be drawn to the same intricacies of the grain pattern and imperfections.

A vape is also an appliance, and generally we want our appliances smaller and sleeker so we have more space and less clutter around our homes, whilst still looking good. Of course there is a place for large table centre artwork, but I don't think that my vape will fill that role in my house- I'd maybe look for a separate wood sculpture that didn't have wires coming out of it. :2c:

WatTyler,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Vapemeister said:
Do you own a log vape? I do, and I can tell you it gets very warm on the outside. Wood is not a perfect insulator. Given wood of the same density, the larger the wood is, the more surface area it has available to dissipate the same amount of energy, so it will feel cooler.

Vapemeister said:
No need to guess. If you read through this thread you will find that those who own several UDs have noticed that the larger pieces have lower vaporization temperatures.

Vapemeister said:
If you read carefully you will find that all these different types and sizes of wood do have an effect on the vaporization temperature. Efficiency is about transferring as much heat as possible from the heating element to the air being drawn over it. Heat is constantly being pulled out of the heating element into the mass surrounding it. The smaller vape does not need to keep as much wood warm, so it requires less electrical energy to maintain the same vaporization temperature.

Vapemeister said:
I'm not talking about the size of the stem port, I'm talking about size and weight of the vape. A lot of people balance their logs on the end of their bongs. Surely less size and weight hanging off the end of your bong would be a good thing? I've got a bubbler, so I use my setup two handed. Having something smaller would be easier to manipulate with one hand.

Vapemeister said:
Nice try Vapemeister. I've got a PD which is one of the bigger vapes. The reason I'm following threads like this is because I want to trade up to a smaller vape at some point.

hazy,

Vapemania

It appears that there is some uncertainty about the function of the log size in a log vape.
Therefore I'd be interested to hear what Dave (UD) has to say.

I would prefer to see a large log vape.
About the size of a small vase.

However, I won't let my personal preference influence my understanding of the laws of physics.
And I'll say again, if people like the wood on a log vape, then the majority may prefer larger logs to smaller logs.
Yet there will still be those who prefer small logs.
In which case, I say 'God bless you, and your human right to choose less wood over more wood. But let's not start saying that small logs somehow possess magical properties'.

Vapemania,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
It's ok if you prefer larger log vapes, but lets stop speculating about what others their preference might be plz.

Otherwise I think you're the only one that's confused here mr. meister. I'd like to invite you to read this and other log vape threads before making assumptions about things you clearly know nothing about. Dave (as well as other log vape creators) actually already explained why smaller dogs or other logs tend to run hotter than larger ones some time ago. It's simple physics, now go off and inform yourself please.

OhTheAgony,
Vapemeister said:
It appears that there is some uncertainty about the function of the log size in a log vape.
Therefore I'd be interested to hear what Dave (UD) has to say.

I would prefer to see a large log vape.
About the size of a small vase.

However, I won't let my personal preference influence my understanding of the laws of physics.
And I'll say again, if people like the wood on a log vape, then the majority may prefer larger logs to smaller logs.
Yet there will still be those who prefer small logs.
In which case, I say 'God bless you, and your human right to choose less wood over more wood. But let's not start saying that small logs somehow possess magical properties'.

With all due respect, are you trolling? Everything hazy said was correct, or at the very least, in line with what everyone (including Dave) has said regarding their UDs at this point. Where's the uncertainty, exactly? The biggest UD manufactured so far was the Tortuga. It was sold to stroh, who has experience with multiple other Underdog vapes. The Tortuga was the biggest and coolest UD in stroh's collection.

Look back through this thread. You'll find dozens of references to the fact that smaller UDs run hotter than larger UDs. If you find any evidence in the opposite direction, it will be because the wood density of the unit in question was lower than normal (the tupelo goblet comes to mind).

Also - while you're completely entitled to your own opinion (and I can actually see how a tabletop, big-box vape would be really cool (but not as a primary vape) - Dave actually created a prototype box vape), but the majority will not choose a big log over a small log. This is for many reasons - portability, stealth, weight, convenience.. I mean where do you draw the line? You'd really want to vape out of a 16" piece of firewood? When I see something beautiful (like a UD, PD, HI, CRZ, etc.), my mind doesn't immediately jump to "but it would be more beautiful if it were twice as big." Most people are going to agree with me because, at the end of the day, these are functional devices that should be easy, not stressful and obnoxious, to use.

And sorry, but the notion of waltzing into the eighty-somethingth page of a thread and then assuming that you know just as much/more about it than the people who wrote the fucking thing, based on nothing more than your wrongheaded, zero-experience intuition, is kind of blowing me away right now.

OKcomputer,

Abysmal Vapor

Think of logs like of dicks.. (most of them have phallic shape and you suck them) .. It is up to the user.. and his personal preferences... some like it short but fat.. other long and slim, etc... So you better measure you needs for size.. than thinking of how much vapor it is going to cum... Few are complaining on the taste,density,amount.. time needed to ejaculate vapor.. (have in mind that all new UDicks are rated for 24/7 erection.. to get your need filled anytime of the day..)

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Thank you Abysmal.

I'm not a homophobic, but I don't particularly look forward to think of penissis every time I handle or even suck my Underdog.

Thanks again buddy, I really appreciate that.

:mad:

OhTheAgony,

Vapemania

Abysmal Vapor said:
Think of logs like of dicks.. (most of them have phallic shape and you suck them) .. It is up to the user.. and his personal preferences... some like it short but fat.. other long and slim, etc... So you better measure you needs for size.. than thinking of how much vapor it is going to cum... Few are complaining on the taste,density,amount.. time needed to ejaculate vapor.. (have in mind that all new UDicks are rated for 24/7 erection.. to get your need filled anytime of the day..)

Lol!
Thanks for the civil reply, dude.

I welcome such responses from others.
:)

Vapemania,

Abysmal Vapor

No prob.. Vapemeister :).
OTA sry if that thought craps on your manliness or sexuality ... You might think of different angle.. Everyone favorite log style....depends on the nipple/tit form/size/color of his mother .... This is a favor grown deeply in our subconsciousness and we can't do nothing but not being able to resist ...
Or if you are willing enough , you can imagine.. yourself like a mighty beastmaster raised by dogs .... fed by bitch's tits..

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
darkrom said:
OTA what temp on the solo are you trying to get the ABV?

I only ask because with my solos I had darker and crispier ABV than any other vape ever if I used the higher settings. That being said it was BLACK and disgusting. I really think it was from the bud touching the bowl and actually scorching. I found the solo ABV to be REALLY disgusting at anything above say 4 out of 7.

I'm wondering if you have the tools to try to make a batch of qwiso or something with your underdog ABV to see how much is REALLY left in that bud. My ABV is generally lighter in my UD than other vapes I've used, but I tend to leave bigger bowls anyway.

I always start a Solo bowl at 4 or 5 and end it at 7. I need the thorough extraction to be satisfied. My UD gets the ABV to the same color as the Solo does on setting 2 or 3 at the moment, even though it produces way phatter clouds than a Solo ever could at that setting.

But I'm afraid this golden/light brown/dark green ABV doesn't cut it for me.

I really enjoy using this pretty little wooden vape, and even though I still experience the silicon bowls as cheap they do work well. I like the easy loading/stirring and the way it is able to produce thick vapor so quick and easy. But realistically I just need a hotter vape. I go through way to much weed the way this thing extracts. I need to somehow supe this thing up soon or I'm afraid I'll have to start looking at other vapes again :(

Magic, I have the 30' extension chords and it does make my UD run slightly cooler. Not sure if it would be as noticeable with a chord half that length though.

Hey OTA - that sucks that you're still struggling, I think you should be able to get darker ABV than you are that's for sure. I hope you can wait until I get back from my trip so I can help you try and solve the problem(s).

@ - Vapemeister - pretty much what everyone has already said is correct. The type and size of the wooden body used in UDs (and most other logs) does affect how hot the piece runs. Unlike early generations of logs the UD core is capable of providing vaping temps with the use of almost any wood and do it without the charring of the past.

underdog,
Top Bottom