Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Can you guys post a picture of this new stem? I'm having a hard time imagining it for some reason.. :cool:

underdog,

SD_haze

Can you guys post a picture of this new stem? I'm having a hard time imagining it for some reason.. :cool:
Post #4000, page 160
minip1010857.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks SD, can you tell me what we're looking at?

Standard simple glass stem with thin-wall silicone sleeve and then what's the sleeve on top? Is it the same thin-wall stuff just stretched over the other? Sorry for the dumb questions but I've been so busy with the other thread I haven't been able to keep up well over here so bear with me..

:tup:

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I would like to know as well. I am curious about how that is designed exactly. Any more photos or maybe a video produced? What do I need to do to replicate that stem design?

Slightly Medicated,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh yeah, I never really mentioned that. I thought it was rather obvious to be honest :)

It's nothing too complected. Just one of Dave's simple glass stems with a thin piece of silicon (the original bowl part of the glass stem) in the middle to make a seal with a 14mm GonG connection, and a piece of the thicker silicon stems as a bowl part.

I can make more photo's, but I'm not sure what you'd want to see. If you have a specific request just say so though.

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: darkrom

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I like that idea. :) The thicker helps hold the screen and everything in place. I think the thicker stems also make a better connection to the heating element. :tup:

Slightly Medicated,

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks OTA, that description helps. So, is the thicker silicone also 3/8" ID, ie the thicker walled silicone I provide? If so how easy is it to stretch over the thinner walled stuff?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As promised in the materials safety thread (copied and pasted from that thread) here is a diagram of the UD core and its air path.

The air comes in down past the teeth in the area between the walls and the center tube until it gets to the bottom of the core then makes a u-turn and heads back up past the resistor and out the center tube into the stem.

The core is closed and the air isn't allowed a path other than as described. The air path is the stainless steel core, the resistor, the top half of the glass bead and in the .03" gap where the one wire runs beside the bead a tiny bit of silicone.

UDCore.jpg

Now that I've posted a diagram maybe others will also be as transparent and do the same.

Since this is a thread on material safety (and seems to be morphing into one of design as well) and not limited to the UD I think it'd be great to see other manufactures do the same and contribute details of their products to the thread. :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I like that idea. :) The thicker helps hold the screen and everything in place. I think the thicker stems also make a better connection to the heating element. :tup:

Yeah, that's mainly why I came up with it. I just didn't like how flimsy the connection felt with the UD when using the thinner silicon as a bowl. This way it's firm enough to hold the weight of most UDs.

I've cut the thinner piece of silicon to a specific length to match my downstem btw, so the ideal length of it may very for everyone. I recommend keeping the glass end that's inserted in the bowl piece about a cm from the screen for optimal airflow and thorough roasting of your bowl.

edit: yeah Dave, it's all stuff you provided. The thicker silicon only runs up to the thinner tubing, it doesn't go over it the way I did it. It helps to wet the glass stem with a few drops of water as a lubricant before sliding on the thinner piece of tubing though, but it will slide a bit until the water is evaporated again.

Tip: vaping many bowls will the keep the stem nice and warm and help evaporating the water of quicker :p

djonkoman

in my case there's more room between both silicone sleeves, both sleeves are shorther. but that's because I didn't want to cut off too much of the silicone stem for the bowl, and couldn't find the other thin silicone I have, so limited on that too.
nice thing is that vI can take the bowlpart off easily, and since it's so short it stays standing upright. so with some weed still in there I can just stand the bowl next to my grinder

and no, plug hasn't arrived yet.. but I will be away most of tomorrow so I won't miss it that much(well except that I always miss my dog when I'm smoking/vaping somewhere else), and hopefully it's here monday

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh yeah, I've ordered plenty of extra silicon in both sizes so I'd never run out Djonko, so I have enough to play around with :lol:

I must say you're a lot more patient than I am, I would have rigged something up to try out that PSU right away when I got it, lol. Good for you though, I hope it gets there Monday so you can finally test your UD's full potential ;)

Dave, to be honest I don't really got any info from that thread I didn't know already, nor from that diagram. As far as I recall all this info was shared by you already since page twentysomething or so of this thread, wasn't it?

Does this drawing mean that the core design basically hasn't changed with the new core btw? Except for the insulated part of course.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey OTA, you are correct this was already gone over earlier in the thread but rather than argue with people who want it gone over again it's easier just to rehash it, though the diagram is a new one.

As far as the specific core design goes the diagram is a simplified version of the engineering prints to illustrate the physics of how the design works, where the air path flows and past what materials. The physical core will of course have varying amounts of teeth, etc and will vary by model and version but the physics and air path remain the same.

I didn't include mounting brackets, insulation retainers, etc on the diagram because they change by version and aren't applicable to the discussion at hand. :peace:

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
and no, plug hasn't arrived yet.. but I will be away most of tomorrow so I won't miss it that much(well except that I always miss my dog when I'm smoking/vaping somewhere else)

im totally the same way djonkoman. everytime im smoking with my friends (im the only one who vapes), im always thinking about my UD at home that i'd much rather be using instead.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Gotcha Dave, thanks for clarifying :tup:

Guys, there really is no need to miss your UD on those occasions. Just bring it with you! :haw:

I even bring my Ehle when spending an evening with my smoking buddy at his place, lmao. It's a bit of a fuss, but at least my lungs won't kill me on the bicycle ride home ;)

djonkoman

I keep my UD safe at home, also in some cases only outside is possible or at the bar we sit at a table not close to a poweroutlet. I do often have my VG with me

djonkoman,

SD_haze

Gotcha Dave, thanks for clarifying :tup:

Guys, there really is no need to miss your UD on those occasions. Just bring it with you! :haw:

I even bring my Ehle when spending an evening with my smoking buddy at his place, lmao. It's a bit of a fuss, but at least my lungs won't kill me on the bicycle ride home ;)
Speaking of bring your UD with you...

I never bought the car charger dave sells because I don't medicate while driving, only after i've cooled down a bit. BUT, I just realized today that if I had the car charger, I could quickly transplant the already-heated dog to the car, keeping it hot during the drive. Therefore, it would be ready right when I got to a friend's house, instead of 20-40 minutes after its been plugged in.

Like putting a liver transplant on ice, except we want it hot :p

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Speaking of bring your UD with you...

I never bought the car charger dave sells because I don't medicate while driving, only after i've cooled down a bit. BUT, I just realized today that if I had the car charger, I could quickly transplant the already-heated dog to the car, keeping it hot during the drive. Therefore, it would be ready right when I got to a friend's house, instead of 20-40 minutes after its been plugged in.

Like putting a liver transplant on ice, except we want it hot :p

:whoa: Mind = Blown. Great idea. If I had any friends I do that for sure.

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Lol, when it was cold last winter I wrapped my UD in towels, put that in a backpack and let it heat up for a few hours, then took it with me to my buddy's house just to shorten the heat up time.

No longer needed with the new core though :D

I think the Blue Mahoe also helps shorten the heat up time compared to the Ash of my old UD.

You could use an extension cord Djonko, but to be honest I don't think I'd take mine to a bar too. Well, if I had a battery pack I might consider it..

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
I think there are quite a few Dog owners that do just that with the car charger SD. Also something to note is that with the car charger (for many people) the Dog will heat up much faster and reach a higher temp. Also if you're using a VVPS you can boost the voltage a bit and pretty easily get heat up times less than 10 minutes. I don't recommend doing it all the time because of the added wear and tear but it's a cool trick to have in your vaping arsenal.

Ok, gotta finish a bit of shop work and run a couple errands then coming back with a couple quick shop and product updates so lets all meet back here in an hour or two. Bring a stem or two when you come back so we can all get comfortable.. :brow:

underdog,

SD_haze

I think there are quite a few Dog owners that do just that with the car charger SD. Also something to note is that with the car charger (for many people) the Dog will heat up much faster and reach a higher temp. Also if you're using a VVPS you can boost the voltage a bit and pretty easily get heat up times less than 10 minutes. I don't recommend doing it all the time because of the added wear and tear but it's a cool trick to have in your vaping arsenal.

Ok, gotta finish a bit of shop work and run a couple errands then coming back with a couple quick shop and product updates so lets all meet back here in an hour or two. Bring a stem or two when you come back so we can all get comfortable.. :brow:
How hot would you go to get a faster initial boost? I was thinking maybe ~14.2v @ 5 mins and then turn it down to 13.7 til it starts to get nice and warm.

SD_haze,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh man, two more hours? It's already 1.30 in the AM over here, I'm not sure if my eyes will stay open long enough ;)

I guess I'll just poor myself another drink and we'll see, cheers guys :cheers:

OhTheAgony,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I usually go to 14 when I run it. I have been to 14.3 for a shorter pre-heat. Like 3-5 minutes or so max I quit doing it though because I worried about the longevity and the wear and tear of the extra 10-20 degrees you get from the extra volts. If I leave the device on and resting at like 11 volts I will bump it up to 14.5 for like 45 seconds. Then I will turn it down to 13.9 or 14.02, for some reason 14.02 seems to bee right on the sweet spot during a session.

Oh man, two more hours? It's already 1.30 in the AM over here, I'm not sure if my eyes will stay open long enough ;)

I guess I'll just poor myself another drink and we'll see, cheers guys :cheers:

Another drink would = :zzz: for me.

Slightly Medicated,
Top Bottom