Underdog Log Vapes

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Wow Black Limba blows my mind what a looker.... and the Osage-orange too with that waving psy-eye LOL,

Abysmal Vapor,
Reactions: Gonzo

darkrom

Great Scott!
I have quite a treat to review today.

First off the new glass stems.

t5iMql.jpg

grnLzl.jpg

These new stems are awesome. I prefer them over the older (more expensive) stems personally. They are easy to work with and the corks really help when you are on the move. The only issue I've had so far with them is actually the protective tubes that they come in. They protect it even with a good dropping, but so far I've gotten 2 stems stuck haha. I can fish them out with a paperclip, but I didn't have one the first time. This is my favorite stem to date, and a very good price as well.

Now... my new mahogany prototype twig:

lp4bHl.jpg

iBQnRl.jpg

I LOVE this underdog. It hits so much hotter than my jester, at least on my car adapter which is definitely over 12v. I know that the jester ran hotter on the car adapter too, but this thing is a beast. I pack a fresh stem to the top and within 3 hits I have some of the darkest abv. You can see I was too lazy to shake/stir the ABV in this case, but I don't mind personally. In the pic those black spots look like charring, but really it was more of a dark dark brown. My ABV was uneven because I didn't stir it, or for that matter finish the bowl. I'm yet to try to keep vaping until it stops putting out clouds, I feel like that will NEVER happen. I think I like to vape on the hotter side, but I can't finish a bowl any more than that before I need to take a break haha.

This is an underdog POWER HOUSE. I seriously can't describe it any better, so let me show you the ABV. You guys who need to up the voltage should try out a twig. This particular twig stays COOLER to the touch than my larger jester, while still operating much hotter. This is absolutely a vape made for a hotter temp user, and that is exactly what I wanted. Night and day difference between this and the jester.

ZfPZsl.jpg

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Congrats on the new pack member Darkrom!

Is there anything else new on this prototype, besides the wood-design?

So no more carbon pup, or is that one still in the making as well?

In what way do these glass stems differ from the other ones btw? I wonder which one I've got, do you still remember that Dave?

SO many questions... :dog:

OhTheAgony,

placetime

Those look great Dave! I'm curious--how do those woods compare to the purpleheart in terms of density?

placetime,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
so in preparation to be a soon-to-be UD owner, i was wondering where you guys think i could purchase a few things. Any ideas of a local store that would sell essential oils and also just plain bees wax?

HighlyEducatedScholar,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
so in preparation to be a soon-to-be UD owner, i was wondering where you guys think i could purchase a few things. Any ideas of a local store that would sell essential oils and also just plain bees wax?

I know a guy that just happens to have both.. :wave:

You can also probably find both at a local health-food type store if you've got one in your area.

underdog,

stroh

errl enthusiast
looking good darkrom, that mahogany piece is a beaut, and the new glass stems look like they would perform slightly better too. i had been using my launchbox glass stem with my 1/4" twig and it worked extremely well, and the new stems seem to be more or less the same functionally.

stroh,

underdog

Manufacturer
Congrats on the new pack member Darkrom!

Is there anything else new on this prototype, besides the wood-design?

So no more carbon pup, or is that one still in the making as well?

In what way do these glass stems differ from the other ones btw? I wonder which one I've got, do you still remember that Dave?

SO many questions... :dog:

Yeah there are some differences in the prototype as compared to the standard revised core, it's mostly the same but a few tweaks to squeeze a bit more efficiency out of it.

I'm still working on and mangling carbon pups.. it's a mess. :mental:

The stems are a simpler version of the old UD glass stems that I'm making in house instead of having my glass guy make them. Slightly less restricted air path, easier cleaning and screen replacement and slightly reduced price. I'll be posting some more info on them and adding them to the website shortly, just trying to get these pups outa the way first. I don't recall which type you got, if you take a picture of it and send it to me I can tell you though.

looking good darkrom, that mahogany piece is a beaut, and the new glass stems look like they would perform slightly better too. i had been using my launchbox glass stem with my 1/4" twig and it worked extremely well, and the new stems seem to be more or less the same functionally.

Yeah they do work a bit better than the earlier design and at a slightly lower price, like the above says I'll be posting more details about that soon and adding them to the website.

You should shoot me an email when you have a minute, there's a few things I've been meaning to ask you but I keep forgetting.. :peace:

@ darkrom - glad to see you're enjoying the Twig dude.. I thought you might.. and thanks for posting the feedback and pics.

underdog,
I hope the Bishop is ready to ship soon! My v-tower finally crapped out and I had to buy a shitty china box vape at a head shop. Might have to *gasp* combust.

Can't wait for your new vapes to come out. Need a piece for my mom, probably looking for a twig. The stout koa log has her name on it though lol.

SpaceKracker,

underdog

Manufacturer
I hope the Bishop is ready to ship soon! My v-tower finally crapped out and I had to buy a shitty china box vape at a head shop. Might have to *gasp* combust.

Can't wait for your new vapes to come out. Need a piece for my mom, probably looking for a twig. The stout koa log has her name on it though lol.

Boxing it up right now to ship out tomorrow... soon you be foggin the Dog.

underdog,
Reactions: Gonzo
Awesome! Got a quater pound of some new stuff coming through the doors tomorrow, I"ll break the dog in right!

SpaceKracker,

underdog

Manufacturer
Awesome! Got a quater pound of some new stuff coming through the doors tomorrow, I"ll break the dog in right!

Hmm, well you know it maybe I should just deliver it by hand.. you know, in the name of customer service. :spliff:

Alright Underdudes I know you've all been waiting patiently for new pieces so here.. here are some new pieces (and a couple retrofits) fresh from the shop:

Lineup%20%28031312%29.jpg

and some more
Lineup%20%28031312%29b.jpg

Abysmal Vapor

BP2 kicks ass.. i sent you an e-mail about it :p.
Woah like a 6 y.o. I feel like sugar addict in the candy shop ... LOL..
The Ash piece Shape (second on the second pic) reminds me of the a circus dancer with multiple rings..
The Ash/Walnut piece leave me the feeling of a an occult pyramid where bud bud is sacrificed on its very top in order to open multiple wormhole portals :D. And not to forget the tulip twig .. which stole the color of the melted plasma of a dying star. :whoa:

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I figured Abysmal might be all over that Blue nr 2.

I'm still not sure how I feel about blue wood, but the color looks amazing in that picture. Is there some metallic in there as well perhaps?

What are those black lines in the Limoncillo btw Dave? I noticed that in the one you have on your website too the other day.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ Abysmal - careful dude, I might start tasking you with naming all the pieces lol..

@ OTA - no metallic just blue dye but the natural iridescence of the wood at different angles does give it metallic look at times.. cool huh? I'm not real big into dyed pieces but occasionally have to test a theory and end up with one of these.

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

Dave ,If you keeping making pieces like that... i am sure it soon can become a full-time job soon :).

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Looks pretty cool indeed, the more I look at it the more it grows on me. Perhaps you should take that picture down before I want one too ;)

Oh pictures, I almost forgot. This is my glass stem:

minip1010772.jpg

I think it's one of the older ones.

Cool that you're making the new ones yourself btw, do you know a thing or two about glass? It's hard to tell from that photo...hmmm, wait, I can fix that...

There, this is better:

minip1010774.jpg

As you can see mine got here a bit damaged, but it's just on the surface as far as I can tell. I was wondering if I could just torch that fucker and melt everything back together so I can safely use it again. Would that work you think, or does the glass still have to be 'unstressed' in some way after that?

Oh, and you missed my Limoncillo question up there ^^ in my previous post :)

OhTheAgony,
Reactions: placetime

underdog

Manufacturer
Looks pretty cool indeed, the more I look at it the more it grows on me. Perhaps you should take that picture down before I want one too ;)

Oh pictures, I almost forgot. This is my glass stem:

minip1010772.jpg

I think it's one of the older ones.

Cool that you're making the new ones yourself btw, do you know a thing or two about glass? It's hard to tell from that photo...hmmm, wait, I can fix that...

There, this is better:

minip1010774.jpg

As you can see mine got here a bit damaged, but it's just on the surface as far as I can tell. I was wondering if I could just torch that fucker and melt everything back together so I can safely use it again. Would that work you think, or does the glass still have to be 'unstressed' in some way after that?

Oh, and you missed my Limoncillo question up there ^^ in my previous post :)

That sucks about the stem dude, that is the older type BTW. You might be able to get away with torching the stem and slowly letting it cool but I doubt you'd be able to get it hot enough with a butane torch if that's what you've got. A oxy-propane or MAPP gas torch would probably do the trick. Something as simple as this doesn't have to be 'unstressed' really though it's always good to do so if you have a kiln available.

Sorry to have missed your Limoncillo question. It's a natural part of the wood, not sure of how/why it forms in the tree though. It is similar to the spalting lines in Maple and other woods but in the case of Limoncillo it's not a result of degradation of the wood. This wood is getting really, really hard to find so I don't know if I'll make more pieces out of it once these few are gone.. that's unfortunate because it's really nice!

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Cool, thanks. My butane torch goes up to 1300 Celsius according to the box it came in, lol. Torches like these have melted Vapocanes before so I assume I can melt this too even though it might take a little while, but I can borrow a propane torch if you think it'll work beter. I just don't know what a kiln is, lol. After a quick google it looks like some sort of acclimation chamber, perhaps I can improvise something with my oven? More googling is required me thinks... :)

No problem, it wasn't to important or urgent. I just haven't been in to wood before I started vaping and looking at the log-vapes so it's all pretty new to me, but I notice I'd like to learn more about it if I see little things like that that I don't understand. Thanks for the info again :tup:

OhTheAgony,

placetime

Sorry to have missed your Limoncillo question. It's a natural part of the wood, not sure of how/why it forms in the tree though. It is similar to the spalting lines in Maple and other woods but in the case of Limoncillo it's not a result of degradation of the wood. This wood is getting really, really hard to find so I don't know if I'll make more pieces out of it once these few are gone.. that's unfortunate because it's really nice!

seems kinda like a stupid question, but... does the limoncillo wood smell like lemon?

placetime,

weedemon

enthusiast
first off I wanna say the grain on 1b looks mesmerizing! :p osage is a cool wood!

thought i'd share some pics of my dogs!

the ash dog (RIP):
iYgYK.jpg

So beautiful, it is now a bookend on my shelf! i love the " bleeding heart" on it in the grain. that's how i see it anyways! This dog hit HARD! Used at the normal distance you hear the weed crackle and pop from the heat! I moved the screen 4-6 cm down inside hte stem, and even then it was hot!!! first hit was super tasty, while so very thick! never had a vape hit this hard! Vapor bonging was amazing with this one too! white wall my bong for 3 hits. and then nothing. you could easily tell then extraction was done on this one!

It died because the heater core came loose and fell inside the unit! I may also add that drumming on your unit with your fingers all the time might not be the best for it! I heard something come loose a month prior to it's failure. Dave was awesome and gave me a more expensive dog to replace my dead dog.

now, with that sadness over with, may i present the new pup!

frontal:
bFWiT.jpg

rear:
DoHoZ.jpg

top:
lcjUC.jpg

The new one: Claro Walnut Burl It's the same height as my old one, but quite a bit lighter. the grain is pretty amazing, I am sure you will agree! This dog hit differently. I imagine wood density and volume are factors coming into play here. this one i use right at the tip of the heater for max temp that it can give. and even then it never crackles or pops as my ash dog did.

the hits remain tasty for a longer period too.

this is gonna take a little bit learning the best way to most effectively use it! looking forward to testing!

also, I like the new glass stems too! using the tiny bit of silicone included it matches onto my bong very nicely too! :) I also picked up a 15 foot extension cord. very handy! :)

once again a really nice product man! even more beautiful than my old one. Which I am still terribly fond of!

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yay, so many pictures today, what a treat :D

It looks even prettier than in the display pic WD, digging the background too :tup:

So have you never thought about opening up your old UD to see if you can perhaps fix it again? Mine still works but I still have a hard time leaving the leather on, haha. It sounds that it's likely a wire or connection broke when the core moved, could be an easy fix perhaps?

Enjoy the new pup anyways, I'm sure you'll have fun finding out the best way to use it!

(OTA recommends a nice comfy couch for stuffing if all else fails)

OhTheAgony,

weedemon

enthusiast
Well, it still gets hot even! The connections inside are still working. But the core is loose and rattling around in there. the sides of the unit are charred and scorched there are weird lines that looks gouged down the inner wall of the wood (this is in the charred part) the main problem is it's not screwed in there anymore as dave told me that's how he fastens them in. (I never heard a screw rattling around in there there prior to it's failure. it sounded like the core it self was rattling on it's posts(the screw).)

I am afraid to use it as i don't want to burn my house down lol!

the new one is great although different.
I wish it hit like the one I got to know. but hey, different designs, different woods make for different vapes :p

i'm still just as medicated as i got from the other one I think! :p

Dave, what are your thoughts on going in for surgery? probably best to let it rest?

weedemon,
Top Bottom