Prolusio

Mine arrived safe and sound yesterday! For some reason Canada post had no updates on it; said it was sitting in customs then all of a sudden it was delivered. They didn't charge any import fees though so I'll take it!

I haven't had much time to use the Tubo yet but I am very impressed with my initial impressions. Excellent flavour, very easy to use. The glass @funkyjunky sourced for the stems is really good as well and I like how the screens are designed. Easy to load, stir, and unload because they're 18mm bowls; but the airpath is a smaller diameter so you get some nice restriction. Which I feel benefits the Tubo because it has wide open airflow otherwise.

I haven't experimented with adjusting the coil resistance yet but I think I probably will end up bumping it up a tad as I feel the AVB should be a little darker at the displayed temps.. But that could also be due to my inexperience with using it.

Colours came out perfect, both on the Tubo and the whip. Exactly what I was hoping for!

I also really like the battery enclosure for the Tubo. The door is held with magnets which makes a satisfying snap when you close it, there's a little tab to help you pop the battery out, and +/- is clearly marked. Nice touches! Maybe that's just how the Evics are but regardless it makes using the Tubo that little bit easier.

Oh and I think the logo is sick too! I dunno why exactly and it's not a big concern, but it's a pet peeve of mine when a vaporizer says "Vape" on it or something similar. I like how it just says TUBO with the nice minimal logo; keeps the branding without being tacky, I think!

little maggie

Yesterday the Zion. Today the eVic Vtwo mini. I got out some batteries I've never used and started charging. I must have suspected something was coming.
Now to try to figure this out. I hope there are clear instructions because it seems to take me much longer to figure out even simple vapes.

Update: This is truly beautiful and well made. I didn't expect it to come with a battery but it has one which is great. As expected (by me) the menu is incomprehensible. Is there a shut off somewhere? Also can I use this without trying to figure out all the parts of the menu? Is it set up adequately to just use?

Also what is the best temperature range (in F) to set it to?
Finally, any possibility of a manual or simple instructions for the non techie (like me).

Last edited:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yesterday the Zion. Today the eVic Vtwo mini. I got out some batteries I've never used and started charging. I must have suspected something was coming.
Now to try to figure this out. I hope there are clear instructions because it seems to take me much longer to figure out even simple vapes.

When it rains it pours! I love your perspective on a new vape because even with all your vast experience you always approach it how I feel the average novice consumer would/could

little maggie

Another question: As far as I can tell I have the temp set at 350*F but the stem is cold even on the bottom. When I quickly press the fire button it shows a different temperature but that one just goes up to 150 and down to 110 and repeats that. I usually miss something totally simple when I'm starting so this is probably what's going on now.

Prolusio

@little maggie I believe you're supposed to hold the button while you draw/use it, similar to how the milaana works. Pressing the button quickly will only engage the heater for the second the button is pressed and will show the current temp of the coil, so you're probably just seeing the coil temp climb then drop back down. Would it then show your setting of 350 again?

From what I gather from the instructions the Tubo is programmed to overshoot your set temp then re-adjust depending on the airflow/cooling it detects. If I set mine at 225C it'll overshoot that to ~236C then go back down as I use it. Mine was set to C by default, but I found I had to use it a little hotter (235-240C) (~455F) than I normally would to get the brown AVB I expected. I think this is why people were suggesting bumping up the coil resistance slightly so that the Tubo performed more in line with what the Temp is displaying.

The shut off is 5 quick presses of the fire button (the large one), 5 also turns the Tubo back on.

little maggie

Thanks. I'm trying to figure this out the same time as the Zion which is confusing me. The Zion is demand only but stays at the temperature it's set at when drawn. Or at least I think that's how it works. But the Tubo only goes to the set temp when you draw? So it must take several draws to get it up to the temp I've set it at?
I did try several draws after I set the temp and the stem stayed cold so I'm still missing something.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thanks. I'm trying to figure this out the same time as the Zion which is confusing me. The Zion is demand only but stays at the temperature it's set at when drawn. Or at least I think that's how it works. But the Tubo only goes to the set temp when you draw? So it must take several draws to get it up to the temp I've set it at?
I did try several draws after I set the temp and the stem stayed cold so I'm still missing something.

Sell Zion is regulated but still analog, Tubo a bit more digital. I might suggest focusing on one for a bit before going back to the other? It's tricky to learn two new vapes at once I know

little maggie

You're right. I'm going back to the Zion because it makes more sense right now. Or it's self explanatory to some degree now that I've gotten some beginning help.
I didn't realize that I needed to hold down the fire button on the tubo. That's what I mean by missing something totally basic. it does seem to work a lot like the milaana which will help when I get back to it.

I do love the wood construction, the way the glass is shaped and especially the whip. I think that visually it's my most attractive vape.

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I am not very familiar with the Zion,but from what i get of the TUBO :It is evic based, and those regulated temp mods have to show the temperature of the coils,which is not the temp of the herb,nor the air.
The temp of the air is defined by the speed you are drawing,and another thing that plays here is the temp of the bowl itself cause it is effecting the herb temp. i.e preheated /cold. So it is really hard to get a good measure of what is really happening with your herb tempwise (supreme gets closest to that by having a temp probe inserted directly in your herb,but again temp probes measure temp at only one point,and depending on the grind and airflow the temp in bowl varies at places).So if temp of coils is being digitally accurate,it can give one a good reference of expected results which will get better as u get familiar with the unit.
:D Woah ,i must been damn high, i see that some already gave better answers to your questions ,even i learned smth :D.

Last edited:

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
nice to see some arriving tubos :)

i got my batteries from fasttech. apprently they are not shipping them to all places anymore. have heard good things about imrbatteries.com and gearbest.com.

yes the tubo is hold down button while drawing (for now). tubo regulates everything while the button is pressed. @little maggie and all.
you can start pressing it even before you draw and watch the temperatures climb to the preset value (yes it overshoots a bit, especially when not drawing).

there is absolutely no need to figure out the menu on the tubo.
simply load the material, set the temp, push and hold the button while inhaling.
i would start out at maybe 400degF/200degC or even higher to accomplish faster results.

the difference in these devices is the kind of regulation. tubo regulates the actual temperature of the heating element and adjusts power to keep it at the preset temperature. therefore it is even able to adjusts to draw speed. if more air tries to cool down the heating element, more energy is supplied to have it back up to temp (in a matter of milliseconds, tubo is rather busy when you take a hit).

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
For some reason Canada post had no updates on it; said it was sitting in customs then all of a sudden it was delivered

Using this as an excuse to hope mine arrives tomorrow :haw:

Any further thoughts now that it's been a day or two?

I have a feeling I'll go to this for lowtemp sipping and really tasting stuff. idk. The idea of not having to forcefully get a lowtemp hit is nice, even though it's fairly easy with my other devices, just being able to set it and do whatever will be sweeeet.

RelaxedNow

Using this as an excuse to hope mine arrives tomorrow :haw:

Any further thoughts now that it's been a day or two?

I have a feeling I'll go to this for lowtemp sipping and really tasting stuff. idk. The idea of not having to forcefully get a lowtemp hit is nice, even though it's fairly easy with my other devices, just being able to set it and do whatever will be sweeeet.

I got excited this morning when I finally received a tracking email from USPS. Then I realized it was a leather belt I'd ordered from Amazon. Serious letdown.

Hey, but I know it's on the way, and I'm going to love it. So, there's that.

little maggie

I tried it again today now that I have a beginning sense of the Zion. It was easy to use now that you have helped me. It seems like there are lots of adjustments that can be made by those of you who are techfolk. But it's nice to know, for people like me, that it can be used very simply. Push the button 5 times to turn it on; temp is where I set it; Inhale and when done push button 5x. Obviously this was totally clear to everyone but me but it's great to be able to get questions asked.
Comments: It seems to have a short battery life. I just replaced the battery with the fully charged one that came with it. The tubo shows it as 97%.
The only question I have is what kind of usb to use just in case I want to do that. I generally use my battery charger so I can have a battery ready.

I love it. I'm almost tempted to get a second one without all the accessories but that is truly ridiculous. I've only tried it with the whip so far. I use water with almost every vape but with the whip don't need it. Also, not sure why given the vapes I use, I seem to get more medicated more easily.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
@little maggie

It's a micro-USB I'm assuming. However, I'm sure others will weigh in, but I was always under the impression USB charging is not as good as external charging and potentially hazardous, but don't quote me on that... I do know it is easier on the batteries and better for longevity to charge externally.

Glad to hear the whip is nice, I'm thinking I will actually really like it so long as it isn't bad to manage the smell.

little maggie

@little maggie

It's a micro-USB I'm assuming. However, I'm sure others will weigh in, but I was always under the impression USB charging is not as good as external charging and potentially hazardous, but don't quote me on that... I do know it is easier on the batteries and better for longevity to charge externally.

Glad to hear the whip is nice, I'm thinking I will actually really like it so long as it isn't bad to manage the smell.
I don't smell anything other than what's supposed to be there.
One other thing I really like about this- I'm going to try Ddave's new screenless stems later. But I really like the design of the glass that comes with it, especially the bent glass one. I may end up using them and the whip with my milaana and zion. Maybe I can bypass water with them.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I don't smell anything other than what's supposed to be there.

As resin accumulates, whips get gross-smelling and looking in my experience. The sweet wrapping makes the visual aspect null but I worry about how smelly it'll get after a bit of usage but we will see.

I'm glad I got each of the stems to try, I normally like the smaller form factor of short ones but the bent one will probably be awesome.

also you quoted me! :lol:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
@little maggie Hey mags! Glad to hear you received yours (Zion AND Tubo) - the vape God is good to you! :D

Wonderful to hear you're liking the tubo, it IS great :)

About charging: as @muunch said, it's a micro-USB plug. You should find a proper cable in the box the tubo was sent to you.
Battery life might be shorter compared to other devices (this one has up to 70W of power) - but it all depends on usage pattern like temps, draw length and speed etc. But I definitely recommend sticking with @funkyjunky s battery suggestions: go for 3000mah ones.

Also I rarely switch the tubo off completely (5 times push), just let it go standby.

What temps do you use?
How do you like the V3 with the tubo? :)

vapen00b,

little maggie

Mine didn't come with a cable- there wasn't enough room but I'm fine just using my LUC v4. Right now I have it set at 350*F. I haven't tried the V3 yet but loved it with the Zion.
I just realized that the whip will fit perfectly on the V3 so I'm off to walk my dog and then try it. (I have the whips that came with the V3 but I like the colors of the wrapped one that came with the tubo.)
Are you using the V3 and if so how are you using it? With the adapter or with the 18mm screenless?

little maggie,
Reactions: vapen00b

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Mine didn't come with a cable- there wasn't enough room but I'm fine just using my LUC v4. Right now I have it set at 350*F. I haven't tried the V3 yet but loved it with the Zion.
I just realized that the whip will fit perfectly on the V3 so I'm off to walk my dog and then try it. (I have the whips that came with the V3 but I like the colors of the wrapped one that came with the tubo.)
Are you using the V3 and if so how are you using it? With the adapter or with the 18mm screenless?

Hmm.. That's odd. I'm pretty sure there was a cable in my box. Might be wrong though!

no, I don't have a V3 yet.. International shipping costs are too much for me right now. Need to sell some of my vapes before ;)

vapen00b,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
:) Can't complain about Swiss post's speed of delivery within Europe. :).I just got a call from the postman asking if he should bring it over or will i collect it at local office Tracking says :

05 Apr 2017 14:00:00 - Left Switzerland
10 Apr 2017 08:14:00 - Arrived at Post Office
That's 5 days in total, 3 working days + Weekend.

I dont regret even one bit having the tracking option,cause sometimes i dont get notified at all for deliveries unlike this time,everything is perfect,that gotta be due to the telekinetic boost funkyjunky did a while ago . :D
Sadly i am out of town today,but tomorrow morning i will be able get my first impressions of the Tubo :) !

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic

I don't know why this urban legend sticks around, but USB charging is tried and proven nowadays. You can get a small PCB for around 0.30$ from China with a dedicated chip and a few support components. It's found in all these USB power banks that you often get as freebees these days or promotional items etc.

For the hazardous part this applies to Li-Ion charging in general: never ever let a charger unattended, that's when house fires happen! And even with known brands (which are likely Chinese anyways) you never know when they can go wrong.

I use my evic VTC mini often to charge and it's quite good. I checked the current and voltages once and it was all within spec. No funky cutoff above 4.2V, no over current. In fact it charges faster than my Nitecore i2 while not really being what's called a "fast charger" (so it won't affect your cells life like real fast charging can do) You are limited by your USB port anyways, can't draw that much current usually.

So in short: it's perfectly fine to charge directly in your Tubo. But you might want an external charger to minimize down time and keep using the Tubo while you charge by rotating cells.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
@little maggie - rock on!

I have settled into a pretty consistent usage pattern. I like to hold the button in until the temp overshoots my set temp and then I start drawing. I can do a light draw for as long as 40 seconds and this has a 20 seconds cutoff, so I like to go slow at first and then huff on it hard for the last half of the draw. Once it gets warmed up it can keep up with my draw speed. I will say that hitting it like this puts a hurtin' on the batteries and I only get about one or two full bowls using it like this. That and the fact that I am now using it with elb's and have the temp cranked up to 500F! I have had it cranked up to 465 with the stock setup without combustion.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Mine arrived this morning.

Waiting on battery to charge up but definitely liking it.

Only bad news is that there is some cracking on the joint of my bent,long stem...

PxkzARp.jpg

84goiml.jpg

Looking forward to trying it out in a little :)

edit:

ok i'm very impressed. this thing is sweeeet. Only negative is the battery life but.. they're batteries and I have a ton of em so it's not too big of a deal. Also it runs at 70w so that's pretty expected for a single 18650mod

Great job @funkyjunky I am really, really liking this. Just as I expected a perfect flavor sipper. I'm sure I could get massive clouds if I crank it up but I'm starting nice and low :)

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Not here. I pack the joint using the regular screen and then drop an elbo over the joint. The herb is pretty loose in there and I assume it tumbles around as I'm drawing air through it. I was getting very even extraction but not blowing huge clouds. Amazing flavor and I got very medicated.

I feel like if you pack tight to get huge clouds with such an large surface area as 18mm joint, you'll probably get hotspots unless you slow your draw to a crawl... Which has its drawbacks if your temp is set too high...

Overall I think technique will impact whether or not you get hotspots. I don't get em bad with any of my convection devices (besides the mvt)

Last edited:
Top Bottom