Thoughts on a sub 200 vape for a new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigtvapes

Yea I am experiencing the placticy taste. It's not strong and overpowering but it's there. I contacted the company though and they're attempting to make it right.

bigtvapes,

weedemon

enthusiast
I did read many good things about puffitup, so I will check with them tomorrow.

Interesting what you noted about the solo being big hitter, with the pax being more like the MFLB. I also read that the pax produced very thick clouds, but had a bigger chamber. The smaller chamber size of the solo is somewhat of a plus. Would you say that if you started with the solo that you would have been happy or is the ssv/dbv worth the loss in portability for the gain in bowl size/extraction.

bigt: the puffit did seem very cool in the design. Did you experience the plastic taste with yours?

The pax will still give you decent clouds, but I think the solos are more consistent. with the Pax, you pack a bowl nice and tight (probably putting .30-.45 g in there) and the first 3 or 5 rips mace nice clouds. then they begin to diminish and eventually the unit needs a stir. i crank the temp up a notch and finish my bowl on the high or mid temp. the solo on the other hand I don't even bother to stir I just go until it's spent. the bowls that you pack in the pax are bigger than both the solo or the mflb. the pax also can do a very through extraction. some of the darkest abv i've ever made actually.

I dunno I just think the solo is less fuss and easier to hit than the Pax. A girl I was sharing the pax with had trouble getting hits from it. she kept saying, "I don't think i got any that time".

solo vs ssv...humm well i still think the ssv is superior personally (I used to love loading hash and keif bowls in it so much. that and running the whip though my bong! :D ). It's the vape that I fell in love with and completely quit smoking with. (I already owned a vaporbros, volcano and mflb before the ssv)

weedemon,

Lou

ended up ordering the DBV, got a nice price from an authorized seller with some nice goodies. Starting with something like the solo just seemed a bit of a gamble, the portability would be awesome even just throughout my house (no desire to go places with it), but the dbv/ssv just seem like better all rounders for me.

I did get hung up on the dbv or ssv debate, but figured that almost 100 dollar price difference was not worth the customization, and reverse angle design. It seems strange that you have to face the rear of the ssv while using it, while the nice design and temp knob are facing the other way. I actually prefer the understated look of the DBV over the ssv. (ok you can have me committed now). The price, included hands free gg, ergonomics, and appearance drove me to the dbv.

Anyways, I appreciate all the knowledgeable input, and am eagerly awaiting its arrival to see what the vape craze is really about. :science:

Lou,

bigtvapes

I got the DBV immediately after I realized I wanted more than what my Puffit could offer. It's a good device for me so far. Head over to the DBV forums here for some great ideas and tips. The "learning curve" is present but it gets a bit overstated at times. Follow the instructions in the vape and you'll be fine.

bigtvapes,

Lou

will do. Theres plenty of customizability from what I've seen, mini whips, water pipe attachments, even custom glass knobs/whips.

Would you mind explaining the learning curve a bit? My impression was that you just load it up and go, unless you're referring to the stirring after each hit, or heat management.

Lou,

bigtvapes

It takes some getting used to figuring out how well you'll draw fix how hot you like your materials. Just like any vape. That's all.

bigtvapes,

Lou

should be here tomorrow according to usps, very stoked. Even so I've already began looking for add-ons such as a bubbler or larger glass piece. I thought searching for vapes was confusing, glass is even crazier! I've been tearing through the cheap glass thread, bong/vape setup thread and some others. Some very crazy setups!

What is the gg adapter that goes from the whip to a compatible 14/18mm gg bowl, or where is it found? Can't find it on 7th floors website?

Lou,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
perfect, thanks! now to pick a waterpipe....

That is a slippery slope my friend. At first you think just one pipe will do, then you watch a video or two and next thing you know you're back in the glass section, ;).

I'm having a blast with just a tube and gridded downstem, so IMO a sturdy thick tube is the cheapest route to get started. Nothing fancy, just a straight tube, you can even go cheap on the downstem and upgrade later. No need for much diffusion with vapor, but its still so fun to watch them bubbles stack.

Of course if you have the budget, a bubbler would be a nice starter piece as they are harder to spill.

Tweak,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
That is a slippery slope my friend. At first you think just one pipe will do, then you watch a video or two and next thing you know you're back in the glass section, ;).

I'm having a blast with just a tube and gridded downstem, so IMO a sturdy thick tube is the cheapest route to get started. Nothing fancy, just a straight tube, you can even go cheap on the downstem and upgrade later. No need for much diffusion with vapor, but its still so fun to watch them bubbles stack.

Of course if you have the budget, a bubbler would be a nice starter piece as they are harder to spill.
I agree with Tweak.

I just went and searched for my first post about pickup up some glass. I went with a straight tube, too.

Here's a link to the post

newbongt.jpg

Since then I have purchased lots of high end glass, but I was happy with this tube as it was enough to convince me that I really like vaporbonging.
:peace:

Stu,

NewVape

What a guy!
I also went straight tube with my first one. Just went to the local shop and got an inexpensive tube and downstem. Later I upgraded the stem to a nice little Showerhead one. I eventually moved on to different bubblers, but a tube is a great start. I also advise not toconvert an old smoking one :p

So I agree with Stu who agrees with Tweak
I agree with Tweak][/quote

NewVape,

OF

I suggest the HA is an excellent general choice for a new guy. As a simple to use true convection vape it's a friendly one to get started with. Works well in direct draw, IMO at it's best with a whip (although I replaced the wimpy tube with some real silicone tube of good diameter), will fit directly on your waterpipe and will also blow bags when you want.

The crucibles make rapid changes a snap (don't have to wait for anything to cool even) and if you put a bit of the concentrate pad from the Volcano in the bottom it does a bang up job with bubble hash, oils and waxes.

Other vapes will beat in in the clinches (like Volcano blowing bags) on the fine points perhaps, but it does lots of modes very well.

If you can live with needing power to run it, IMO it's a top of the list suggestion for starter vape in the $200 range.

OF

OF,

Lou

Slippery slope indeed. It wouldn't be my first piece, as I've had a handfull of bubblers (although none with a downstem/separate bowl), and did have a 18in pure for a while (most of which broke). So Im mostly looking for a 12-18 in tube with or without percolators, definitely ice notches, and probably a beaker bottom. I do like the wide bottom bubblers, but would prefer to have something larger to also be enjoy smoking out of occasionally. Perhaps an EHLE 500 or 1000ml beaker tube or something off gogopipes/gc.

EHLE, black leaf, and some others are pretty reasonable, even saw some nice c2 pieces under 150. I don't know exactly what they're called but the add on ash catchers that sometimes have showerhead/tree percs would be cool add ons, if not easier to clean.

Lou,

Espo

I am in your boat, looking for an AT HOME vape for around $200.
I am torn between the SSV & DBV, I found both for close to the same price (ssv $210 dbv $185).
I am lening more towards the SSV because of the angled heater cover and all around style. I think they are very similar though, can't go wrong with either.

Espo,

NewVape

What a guy!
Lou & Espo you should both check the classifieds. I some some nice beakers tubes and I think I saw an little used SSV there.

NewVape,

Lou

I am in your boat, looking for an AT HOME vape for around $200.
I am torn between the SSV & DBV, I found both for close to the same price (ssv $210 dbv $185).
I am lening more towards the SSV because of the angled heater cover and all around style. I think they are very similar though, can't go wrong with either.

Lou & Espo you should both check the classifieds. I some some nice beakers tubes and I think I saw an little used SSV there.

Hey Espo, I just picked up the DBV for several reasons mentioned earlier in this thread. For me home vape was portable or plug-in type, just whichever would be the most versatile. Between the SSV and DBV, the DBV just won on asthetics, price point, and initial user friendliness.

ps The DBV can be had w/warranty for 160

Lou,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom