Thoughts on a sub 200 vape for a new guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

First of all, hey there fc. I am very much new to the vape scene, and am looking to purchase my first (of possibly many) vape in the next day or two.

Why now after many years of combusting? After some recent Acid-reflux bouts, likely exacerbated by smoking and drinking late at night, it seems as if many people have made this switch with good results. Also have read a fair amount on the subject and it seems like an overall healthier substitute.

Why under 200 (USD)? I have never owned a vaporizer, and only have used one once or twice, so investing a large amount into something I am not sure what I will want the most is not a great idea. I have done a fair amount of lurking and researching to determine that there are several very capable units in this price range.

Units I am considering (in order of preference so far)
Da buddha- ~140 on Amazon or ebay
Underdog- not sure on pricing, somewhere under 200 depending on model.
Extreme Q 4.0- ~150 on amazon
SSV- ~205+ depending on accessories etc on ebay

Questions and Concerns:
What I am looking for most in a unit is ease of use and setup, quick heating (although my reading on log style units has lessend this slightly). Ability to use and maximize smaller amounts of herb ( I will primarily use it with either just myself or one other person).

Hands free- I read a lengthy description of the pros and cons for this (in the examples of DBV and SSV) and am not entirely sure. However, after watching reviews of the DBV, some people remove the tubing after every hit, that doesn't seem hands free but maybe its just to keep heat out of the herb when not hitting?

If I were to decide right now, I would go with the DBV. It looks very quality, hands free to start with, very positive reviews, good price, and simple. I like the idea of the angled nozzle on the SSV, but am not convinced that its worth 80+$ for that and hands free is also an accessory. The colors and air/vapor ratio are not deal breakers for me.

The conservation of the UD is appealing as well as the very simple operation, but the long heat up time, price, and many options are putting me off.

The extreme q has many bells and whistles, and can do both bags and whips, but with more complexity comes more room for failure. Others have also said that it does both bags and whips acceptably, but neither greatly.

I understand there are many pros and cons to each of the above, as well as individual user preference, but for a brand new user what do you guys think? Also opinions on where I should purchase?

Ps. sorry for the long read, I just like to get all my thoughts in the open.

Thanks, Lou

Lou,

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
I use an MLFB. I'm still a vaping novice, but the thing has what youre looking for, minus the hands free function. However, since there is a "whip" (tube) that you can attach, you wouldnt have to hold the device up to your mouth.

I'm kind of interested in Da Buddha, but I'll wait for a while. Seems a lot of people on here like to shop, a LOT! Either that or have been vaping for years :buzz:

Cereal_MF,

Lou

I did see the MFLB, but the learning curve, and finicky battery/grinding/etc issues threw me off. Depending on how I like a main unit, I'll determine if a portable would be something to look at.

My short list of portables so far is
Puffit or pax (both very cool )
mflb (simple, reliable)
wispr (self contained besides butane)

but that is farther down the road :tup:

Lou,

tranceporter

The Cloud Conductor
I have used all the vapes on your list and would recommend an LSV. Its a bit of the stretch at 220 on amazon but hits just as hard as an SSV or DBV and tastes the better than all your choices.

On your list i would go with the EQ as its pretty affordable and you can blow bags (which I dont care for) and direct draw. It heats up in about ten minutes and provides thick vapor with an adjustable digital temp. It can be pretty efficient as well if you elbow pack. The cyclone bowl is HUGE and can fit about a gram and is good for multiple people.

tranceporter,
Reactions: Vessel

max

Out to lunch
Ability to use and maximize smaller amounts of herb
If I were to decide right now, I would go with the DBV.
Some might see a conflict here. Depends on your definition of "smaller amounts" I guess. You're listing 'big hitters' and that type encourages loading more and taking big hits. You can certainly use the DBV with very small amounts. You just need to realize that you're getting vapor with small amounts/hits, even though you don't feel the hits in your throat/lungs. Load a tiny pinch, hit, and you'll feel like you're getting nothing but air. You just have to wait for the effect. And if you do want a big hit, this model can certainly provide it. IMO it's the best bang for your buck, and if you ever decide to sell it, it's an easy sell. Also be sure to check out our member discounts from top rated dealers. http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/retailer-discussion-discounts.1802/

max,

Cereal_MF

Green goes to brown, n that's what I stand for.
As for the MFLB, I dunno if it's even that the learning curve is steep, just more a willingness to understand the piece and learn about it a bit before using it. I personally watched a video that taught how to hit it, and used that method at first. This method helped me get decent rips, rather than rips that seem to yeild nothing like when some of my friends tried hitting it. I even think one of em may have combusted the material the first time I shared a trench with anybody >_<. Anyway, after using the method I saw on youtube ive been messing with the "way" that I hit the piece in order to get the best hits :) The piece definitey pays you back big time, but if you are trying to conserve buds, I think any vape will do the trick. I think the trick to conserving buds is only allowing yourself a certain amount, and seeing how far it can get you. Usually when we overdo it with quantity, the quality of our high is just not there. I remember a couple years back I was too broke to afford weed for days at a time and I would have to resort to ungodly methods (ie rez hitting, scraping the last bit of keep from grinders, etc), but I would get substantially high considering the miniscule amount of THC id be ingesting. Back then I wish I was smart enough to use a vape :) *wouldnt have been able to afford it back then though, LoL.

I know I kinda strayed off topic, but when it comes down to it I think you're gonna make a good decision because any vape should serve its purpose well! Tell us how you like whatever you end up getting!

Cereal_MF,

Lou

Thanks for the input guys.

Max: I understand that the SSV and DBV are known as heavy hitters, however the concepts of conservation and heavy hitters are a bit confusing when it comes to vapes. It appears to me that there are two concepts of this; a) Maximizing the usage out of a small amount of herb, b) size of the hit compared to the amount loaded. If I understand what you are saying, the SSV/DBV are capable of large hits, but also can efficiently use small loads.
The only factor that should determine efficiency is the air to vapor ratio, not efficiency in the sense that some product is, "lost," or unused. So smaller loads in a bigger hitter just results in more airy hits. (sorry if that repeated what you said).

DrPiff- I was set on the eq for a while, but it seems like too many frills for me, I would rather have something more simple, and be able to excel at what it does. I like the idea of bags for many people, but it will most likely just be me and another or just myself.

Cereal: I have no doubt that the MFLB is a great device for many people, however it does not seem like the best first option for me. I am hesitant to base my initial vaping experience on something with quirks and a learning curve. Depending on how I like whichever initial unit I end up with, I will more than likely get a portable unit, if still to only use within my home. (Still unsure of being tied to a plug-in unit, but will sacrifice mobility for power/potency).

As it stands, I will more than likely order the DBV from Amazon. But am very interested in the Pax by Ploom if not for being the neatest portable I've come across.

Again, Thanks for the input so far. :tup:

Lou,

max

Out to lunch
the SSV/DBV are capable of large hits, but also can efficiently use small loads.
Most any vape can efficiently process a small amount, but when you're using big bowls and big airways the vapor is lost in the large volume of air. That's why I say you have to just accept that you're getting vapor and let the effect prove it. If want small hits you can feel, a smaller vape like a log vape (small bowl and more restricted air path) provides more satisfaction during use. It's hard, psychologically, to restrict yourself to very small, easy to hold hits when you're using a big hitting vape. I used an SSV for years, but my primary vape was a Purple Days (now a RockZap). I never used the SSV unless I wanted a big hit, just like I don't drive my sports car to get the maximum mpg from it. It's just no fun.

The only factor that should determine efficiency is the air to vapor ratio
With vaping, efficiency is kind of nebulous, and the term is used in different respects. A higher vapor/air ratio is more efficient at providing more vapor per hit, but the lower vapor/air vape still gives you the same vapor. It just takes a little longer to get it.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Ability to use and maximize smaller amounts of herb ( I will primarily use it with either just myself or one other person).

Never personally used one but this sound like a perfect fit for a log vape (UD). No need to worry about heat up time as they can be left on 24/7.

Hands free- I read a lengthy description of the pros and cons for this (in the examples of DBV and SSV) and am not entirely sure. However, after watching reviews of the DBV, some people remove the tubing after every hit, that doesn't seem hands free but maybe its just to keep heat out of the herb when not hitting?

You will quickly learn to get the best hit, the bowl needs to be stirred almost every hit. Hands-free is great when using a glass piece, but you will still find yourself removing and stirring quite often, negating one of the advantages of hands-free.

I went from the EQ to the SSV and never thought that heat time would be much different and boy was I wrong. The EQ didn't reach its full potential until the cyclone + elbow was preheated, taking either a long time or cranking the heater and putting the fan on 1. The SSV starts giving me clouds in less time than it takes to grind my herb.

Tweak,
Reactions: Ben Katz

Ben Katz

If you are new to vaping, I personally wouldn't recommend you getting a portable one. I hear a lot of good about log vapes, and that may be a good choice for you, but I myself haven't used one. And between the LSV, SSV and DBV I'd have to recommend any of those. All are amazing and can be used hands free. I don't like the idea of a screen right over the heater, so I wouldn't get a LSV myself, and between the DBV and the SSV. The SSV is superior in the light of customization, accessories, and it's extremely durable.

Ben Katz,

weedemon

enthusiast
Hello Lou!

Nice to have you with us! I suffer from acid reflux as well and while I have had my suspicions about weeds involvement with the issue I feel the greater culprit i'm my case was this.
1. I have a leaky valve and when i lay on a 45degree angle it occurs.
2. poor diet, dehydration or skipping meals would cause it
3. stress or anxiety. stress is huge and really makes it worse for me.
4. late night eating was definitely an issue as well
Maybe these are things to consider and could apply to you as well?

as for a vape under the 200 dollar mark if you can find a ssv or da budda then i'd go for that. I loved my SSV! also consider the Arizer Solo. it's surprisingly good! and it is also portable. those new PVHES stems work wonders for the air restriction btw :p

You said it will only be used for 1 -2 people so you don't need anything that will keep a session going for too long right?. I would except you would want to finish off that her in one session right? Every session starting with fresh herb is so much nicer as the first few hits are the tastiest. I wonder what your tolerance is at? how much would you personally consume for one session?

have fun on your search!

weedemon,

Ben Katz

2. poor diet, dehydration or skipping meals would cause it
3. stress or anxiety. stress is huge and really makes it worse for me.
4. late night eating was definitely an issue as well
Maybe these are things to consider and could apply to you as well?

Off topic sorry

I get terrible acid reflux also and when I switched to vaping and it calmed down a lot. But I skip meals, and dehydrate in my sleep. I also get high at night and then get the munchies (surprise) and I eat a whole box of cheese-its and fall asleep. Also I'm a pretty stressed person, so this explains it. Thank you very much!

Ben Katz,

Lou

as for a vape under the 200 dollar mark if you can find a ssv or da budda then i'd go for that. I loved my SSV! also consider the Arizer Solo. it's surprisingly good! and it is also portable. those new PVHES stems work wonders for the air restriction btw :p

You said it will only be used for 1 -2 people so you don't need anything that will keep a session going for too long right?. I would except you would want to finish off that her in one session right? Every session starting with fresh herb is so much nicer as the first few hits are the tastiest. I wonder what your tolerance is at? how much would you personally consume for one session?

Hello, Weedmon,

While I am frequently guilty of your listed culprits, There are many factors (many genetic) that also exacerbate AR. I am working on eliminating all non-medication factors, so I will see how much I can eliminate it.

Could you further explain this statement, "those new PVHES stems work wonders for the air restriction btw." ?

Yes 95% of the time it will be 1-2 persons. And as far as regular consumption, I would guess 0.05-0.1 per session on average when it is just me or another at most 1-2 times a day again on average.

Ben- Customizability is not a huge issue to me, the plain silver or black of the DBV/SSV to me is the most appealing to me.

Lou,

weedemon

enthusiast
this is smoking and you are using between 1/20th and 1/10th of a gram? wow! haha I would have guess it closer to .5 (a standard doobie) :p

If you only use so little I think the SSV/DBV might be overkill. I think i used to like to load about .3-.4 grams in mine (I had the standard heater cover on mine btw)

For the arizer Solo, the main complain is the air restriction while you are hitting it. Planetvape.ca (a really super awesome company... but i wont waste time on that here) made these custom stems that you use to draw off the solo with and it vastly improves the resistance when you draw a toke from the unit. IF you get a solo I'd say you also need one of these improved stems.

the solo also packs a load much closer to what you are used to using. If you were going to go with a portable the only 2 I would recommend are the Solo and the PAX (although I admit I want to try a puffit also, but i suspect the hits are going to be too small for my liking, which is why i no longer use my mflb :( )

The pax is great so far too! (only had it 5 days haha) but it's a little harder to get draws from and requires stirring i find. I think they both offer acceptable battery life, but the solo can be plugged in with an addition accessory you can buy that lets you use while plugged into the wall when the battery is dead (it won't charge while you use it though. you need to use the main adapter that comes with it to charge it.)

weedemon,

Lou

whooops, my math was definitely a bit off. I never really measure it precisely, so that was a quick figure (while watching a movie). Now that I think about it, its probably closer to .15-.3 (As my larger glass has either broken or have been passed on). The amount I have seen used in either the DBV or SSV videos did not seem out of the norm, maybe slightly larger than I would use for 1.

Sorry about that ! The solo or the Pax (possibly Puffit but the negative feedback threw me off) would be my top portable choices. Perhaps I should just get a portable like the solo and start from there? The flexibility to move around even from the porch to the living or bedroom etc and not be tied to an outlet is very appealing... ahh choices.

Lou,

weedemon

enthusiast
oh the options indeed!

I think the solo is a fine choice! I think as long as you get a vape that fits your needs you will be happy. there are may different types of vapes for many niches imo ( portable vs not, taste, size of hits it delivers., purity of vape build components...

the thing about the solo is it can be had for as little as 160 (ebay/amazon) and it is the best portable vape i've ever used in regards to delivering the goods on it's hits :) It's ownly drawback is that it's not very stealthy. but for around the house it's awesome! :)

that said if you just want a solid heavy hitter and you don't care about portability the ssv is still a fine choice :p

weedemon,

BlazedRunner

run high
For home use I love my ssv, which I got used for less than a new buddha. basically convection type vapes all work the same way: they blast your stuff with hot air. How much vapor ends up in that hot air varies with design and your vaping technique. The nice thing about ssv (with the standard glass) that I have not seen in other vapes is the degree to which you can angle the wand and pinpoint exactly where that thin stream of hot air is going. You have a degree of control not present in other setups. say you are vaping a little tiny bit of herb that's sitting in a corner of a large bowl/wand. Well, with a less efficient vape the majority of the hot air flows past the herb, not through it picking up vapor. You end up with a lung full of hot air.

BlazedRunner,

NewVape

What a guy!
I'm going to weigh in on the side of the UD I use a CRZ which is very similar in concept and design to the UD. I prefer a log vape as my daily driver for a number of reasons
1) size - it's small, smaller then a soda can, and it looks... Well not like a vape, so it just sits out on my desk all the time.
2) efficiency - .05-.1 a secession goes a long way with a log vape with .05 of I get any where from 4-7 hits depending on the quality of material and the temp I am using to vape it. I normally don't see huge "clouds" when I vape but .1 is more then enough for me to be medicated.
3) ease of use/versatility - log style vapes are plug and play. Literally. Mine is plugged in and ready to go in the other room and has been since the day I plugged it in. It sits on my desk running 24/7. I'm more leery of leaving my computer on 24 hours then I am that thing. And to use very simple suck up material, plug in, get vapor. I have water attachments, a glass tube I use for vaping the finest, nylon stems that are tough as nails.
4) as the single vaporist in the house it's just the right size. But if there were more people using it on a daily basis I might opt for a second vape (keeping the log to myself)

Vid from a glass thread that shows my log in action
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/new-gridded-showerhead-d.6647/

NewVape,

Lou

After a bit of thinking, the solo and pax have worked their way to about equal with the DBV. I don't doubt the ssv is a great unit, but the added luxury over the DBV really isn't appealing to me. While the added control of the wand is nice, I would rather have hands free.

I haven't pulled the trigger on any because a) I am trying to find the best vendor price where I will still get the warranty (Things can and often do break). I got skeptical of even the amazon listings for 135 when I read 7th floors website, where they say they will NOT warranty any units from ebay, amazon, etc. Even the amazon posting stated, "If you purchase DBV under 189, they will not honor the warranty," weird and probably somewhat false, but off-putting none the less.

I did see a daily deal for the solo for 160, which would be killer (since I've heard extreme's warranty terms are very strict), but I don't want starting off with a portable to be disappointing, which some people seem to indicate (albeit usually about the MFLB or pen types).
The pax is just downright cool, but expensive.

A thought did occur to me thinking about it. I have never been a fan of large waterpipe hits, and would much rather take 5-6 more moderate hits over 15-20 min on a small piece, than 2-3 huge hits. Does this translate to anything previously discussed, or make sense to anyone else? I.e. would more hits be possible from a solo or pax with x amount of herb as opposed to a DBV/standalone? Also would anyone say a solo or pax could replace or equal the potential of a DBV?

sorry for all the flip flopping (It is my curse of purchasing, big or small). Just would like to get started on the right foot.

Lou,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
A thought did occur to me thinking about it. I have never been a fan of large waterpipe hits, and would much rather take 5-6 more moderate hits over 15-20 min on a small piece, than 2-3 huge hits. Does this translate to anything previously discussed, or make sense to anyone else? I.e. would more hits be possible from a solo or pax with x amount of herb as opposed to a DBV/standalone? Also would anyone say a solo or pax could replace or equal the potential of a DBV?

Lou,
If you like to take your time (I'm the same way, btw) with multiple hits over a longer period of time, then one thing to consider is the proximity of the herb vis á vis the heat source. If your load is under constant heat (e.g. Solo, Pax and most other portables) then you will be constantly losing a substatial amount of vapor to passive conduction.

That's why I would recommend either the EQ, or the SSV/DBV for your first vape. These models lose almost nothing IMO to passive conduction, and don't time out after 10-12 minutes like most portables do.

:2c:

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
*7th floor sells (or used to) on ebay. you can buy brand new ssv's and dbv's for discount prices! looks for blemished versions. only downfall is you get no say in the colour scheme and it doesn't come with a bag either. it's still a good price though.

*puffitup offers this deal (solo, 160) i think? and i would buy anything from them in confidence that you will be taken care of. ask them in advance if you want to be sure. :)

*PlanetVape, offers in a bunch of nice extras to make it worth it without undercutting the MSRP.

I have heard the solo called "a smaller portable ssv" and having owned both I feel of all the portables that we have the solo does indeed do this. I've not seen a portable give off bigger clouds without risking burning your herbs. It's a good device. the only reason i stayed away from it for so long is becasue i felt it was not stealth enough. but i said fuck it, I want to be satisfied.

the pax is (please keep in mind i'm still new to it) more like a deluxe version of the mflb. hitting it is similar... it seems a sipping or cigar puffing method works best to milk the vapor from the unit. I like it and when i crank it up to the hot setting it's actually a little hotter than I thought it would be (maybe the hot temp is actually really for tobacco users or something? :D )

weedemon,

bigtvapes

I was looking for a sub-$200 myself a week ago for my first vape. Got the Puffit. I like it, but craved more and got a killer deal on a DBV which I'm very into. Both are great for what they are. DBV is excellent in it's simplicity (still a learning curve but nothing you can't handle if you can search and read) and IMO the Puffit is king of stealth.

bigtvapes,

Lou

*7th floor sells (or used to) on ebay. you can buy brand new ssv's and dbv's for discount prices! looks for blemished versions. only downfall is you get no say in the colour scheme and it doesn't come with a bag either. it's still a good price though.

*puffitup offers this deal (solo, 160) i think? and i would buy anything from them in confidence that you will be taken care of. ask them in advance if you want to be sure. :)

*PlanetVape, offers in a bunch of nice extras to make it worth it without undercutting the MSRP.

I have heard the solo called "a smaller portable ssv" and having owned both I feel of all the portables that we have the solo does indeed do this. I've not seen a portable give off bigger clouds without risking burning your herbs. It's a good device. the only reason i stayed away from it for so long is becasue i felt it was not stealth enough. but i said fuck it, I want to be satisfied.

the pax is (please keep in mind i'm still new to it) more like a deluxe version of the mflb. hitting it is similar... it seems a sipping or cigar puffing method works best to milk the vapor from the unit. I like it and when i crank it up to the hot setting it's actually a little hotter than I thought it would be (maybe the hot temp is actually really for tobacco users or something? :D )

I did read many good things about puffitup, so I will check with them tomorrow.

Interesting what you noted about the solo being big hitter, with the pax being more like the MFLB. I also read that the pax produced very thick clouds, but had a bigger chamber. The smaller chamber size of the solo is somewhat of a plus. Would you say that if you started with the solo that you would have been happy or is the ssv/dbv worth the loss in portability for the gain in bowl size/extraction.

bigt: the puffit did seem very cool in the design. Did you experience the plastic taste with yours?

Lou,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom