Discontinued ThermoVape

dorkus_molorkus

'' That's what guys who like to think they're great minds say to one another for sure.

Then again, I understand the Poles have a similar folk saying, "Fool seldom differ". Poland has a long history of culture and understanding.....you decide who's got it right....''

@stu & gonzo- i think we just got slammed! lol

@OF- excellent retort! I had a great mind once, cant quite remember where I left it.

dorkus_molorkus,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I would be interested in a VG/PG juice recipe - that works in the ThermoVape. That would be 300+ hits off one charge of batteries.

sessnet,

PB88123

Vaporist
Stu said:
Anyway, I chose Lemon OG as it has a nice flavor usually. I don't know if I was drawing too fast or slow at first, but my first couple of hits were very weak. I didn't try to change anything with my tequnique, but hits # 4 through 9 were much, much better than the first three. 10 through 12 were incresingly smaller, but I'll call it a 12 hit bowl. Is this typical to get better hits midway through the bowl? Or did I just naturally start to adjust my draw? I really don't know at this point. In any case I am now officially "medicated", so it definitely works.

I stirred after every couple of hits, but it looks like just inverting it and shaking would've done as good of a job, no? What is the preferred method of stirring for you guys?

When the bowl seemed cached (by taste and lack of vapor) the ABV was medium brown. Similar to my PD's ABV.

Your first couple hits were weak because the air was not warm enough and/or you were inhaling too fast or not strong enough. If hits 4-9 were one after another then the TV is now warm and will produce better hits. I noticed with my TV it takes 5 seconds to get the really orange glow from a cold start. By then if I start inhaling I won't get much. I let it heat up for 10 seconds and inhale slow but steady/strong and will pause a second and let the warm air sit so it has time to heat all the plant matter to the right temperature. That's how I get a good first hit.

.05 sounds like a 12 hit bowl. I find .08-.1 I can get a good 20 hits. The last 14-20 you have to let it get really warm and inhale slow. The TV and batteries and your lips / throat will get warm but that's what it takes if you want to get the most out of your bowl. It reminds me of when I use my SSV I keep turning it up for those last couple hits and with the TV you need to adjust what you do to get a good last couple hits.

Stirring - a lot of people will just unscrew the cap to the last thread and then turn it upside down and shake it around. I also keep the TV switch in the ON position so the batteries don't rattle. Then after you shake it the TV is already on and ready for that next hit.

If the bowl seems cached you can grab a light and let it warm up for 10 seconds and do a long, slow inhale for 20 seconds and then blow it into the light. You can probably get medicated again when you thought you were out.

PB88123,

vapor 4 life

really wondering how the evolution works with really melty bubble. I have the omicron for oil but wish I could smoke more sticky bubble. When someone tries let us know. I read OF 's first attempt ended up a sticky mess but I still have hope

vapor 4 life,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm starting to figure it out. However I think my problem was inhaling too slowly in the first place. I still haven't perfected the draw speed, but I've concluded that initally it was too slow. As I have increased the draw speed I have gotten bigger hits, but predictably fewer of them.

I have also notices some scortching at times. Is this normal, or does it result from too slow/fast draw speed?

Back to testing.....

edit: First recommendation to TV: 4 or 6 batt charger. :2c:

Stu,

PB88123

Vaporist
Stu said:
Thanks for the tips. I think I'm starting to figure it out. However I think my problem was inhaling too slowly in the first place. I still haven't perfected the draw speed, but I've concluded that initally it was too slow. As I have increased the draw speed I have gotten bigger hits, but predictably fewer of them.

I have also notices some scortching at times. Is this normal, or does it result from too slow/fast draw speed?

Back to testing.....

If you listen when inhaling you want to hear the air being sucked in loudly but not fast.

Do you mean scorching as in the device is hot? That will happen if you use it 5 times in a row. It is a powerful device.

A 4 or 6 battery charger would be nice. I am guessing there isn't one currently made since no one has been able to find one. They probably do this to make more money since we all have to spend $25 on another pack just to get a 2nd charger.

PB88123,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I am referring to the herb having blackened spots which would indicate scorching to me. The device is not getting too hot by any means.

I just loaded a "full" bowl (I'm guessing .15 or thereabouts) and the first rip was some of the tastiest dense vapor that I've had in awhile. The taste rivaled my vapocane if that means anything. Suprising to me as there are at least 2 different materials in the airpath, but with little or no taste detriment. The Solo can't say that.

I haven't scrambled to charge batteries like this since the day I got my first launch box. Memories...
:peace:

Stu,

OF

vapor 4 life said:
really wondering how the evolution works with really melty bubble. I have the omicron for oil but wish I could smoke more sticky bubble. When someone tries let us know. I read OF 's first attempt ended up a sticky mess but I still have hope

True is was a sticky mass of stuff, but remember it did produce good vapors. And it did clean up easily. I'm not using it for bubble hash right now, but no doubt will again eventually.

If you can get past the stir it issue, I'd suggest you give it a go.

OF

OF,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that like the LB, the ThermoVape is a vairiable-temp vaporizer. I have only begun to experiment with how to control the temp with this device, and I know it took me quite a while to master the LB, too.

It does seem that my fast-draw hits have more of a burnt popcorn/coffee taste than my slower draws do. This is counter-intuitive to me. Maybe convection is more complicated that I thought? :shrug:

Stu,

vapor 4 life

OF how would you clean out bubble hash stickiness on the go without boiling. also how high of quality bubble were you using? thanks

vapor 4 life,

PB88123

Vaporist
Stu said:
I am referring to the herb having blackened spots which would indicate scorching to me. The device is not getting too hot by any means.

I just loaded a "full" bowl (I'm guessing .15 or thereabouts) and the first rip was some of the tastiest dense vapor that I've had in awhile. The taste rivaled my vapocane if that means anything. Suprising to me as there are at least 2 different materials in the airpath, but with little or no taste detriment. The Solo can't say that.

I haven't scrambled to charge batteries like this since the day I got my first launch box. Memories...

I suspect the blackened spots are caused by the .15 bowl. The air cannot make its way through quick enough and heats the bottom layer a little bit too much. You will need to inhale quicker the hotter it gets to keep from getting those black spots. If you put in .10 the air will be able to move around more and heat the bowl more evenly.

Yes, there are always batteries charging (for herb) and I am patiently waiting for something to plug into an outlet.

BossBrew said:
PB88123 said:
A 4 or 6 battery charger would be nice.
1000x this. It would save us a lot of trouble.

As I think about it if you get another pack with a charger, some batteries with a wall and car charger wouldn't be so bad. You get more batteries, you can charge 4 batteries at once in the car or at home since you have 2 of everything. MY thinking is if you just buy a 4 battery charger that could be $15 by itself so in the end spend $10 more and get a bunch more things.

PB88123,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have some pretty pure melty bubble that I am planning to try when my package arrives in a few days. I also have some older bubble that is not nearly as soft or melty, I will test it too. Glad to see more folks reporting their results.

jambandphan03,

pecosthecat

For best result a slow, but firm draw is needed. The point to keep in mind is that you need airflow over the herb to extract the vapor, but you need to keep the speed slow so as to not cool things down. I find it takes a fair bit of suction, but a slow and controlled speed to get the best results. Soft sips like used on the MFLB don't work well.

Stu said:

Back to testing.....

pecosthecat,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Stu said:

Fwiw i load a full bowl every time for these super tasty/dense hits you speak of, a little extra stirring isn't a problem for me if the reward is better hits

SF Giant,

OF

Stu said:
One thing that hasn't really been mentioned is that like the LB, the ThermoVape is a vairiable-temp vaporizer. I have only begun to experiment with how to control the temp with this device, and I know it took me quite a while to master the LB, too.

It does seem that my fast-draw hits have more of a burnt popcorn/coffee taste than my slower draws do. This is counter-intuitive to me. Maybe convection is more complicated that I thought? :shrug:

It's different for sure. IMO it's kinda dangerous to use LB skills, they don't work the same. Hard pulls make the TV run hotter, not cool it off like the LB. Exactly the opposite.

I don't think of mine as a fancy LB, but rather an electric VG. The use rules and techniques are I think a closer match. Otherwise, I fully agree, it's a complex and versatile device. Well made and most useful when understood.

vapor 4 life said:
OF how would you clean out bubble hash stickiness on the go without boiling. also how high of quality bubble were you using? thanks

The bulk of the gunk (that's a technical term, I hope you know it?) sticks to itself. That's how it's easy to stir with a toothpick. You pick it up when warm like a knot of bubble gun with a pencil, poke it around a bit and back down on the ceramic. The last time, you just pull it out instead and add fresh.

I also found a ISO soak very effective, more so if you have an ultrasonic sink to help it along but for 'out and about' use I don't think there's much of a problem.

I intentionally used the lowest grade, cheapest ($15/gram) bubble hash I had. I expect more normal grades would be easier to deal with. It gums up the herb I layer it with in my Iolite, something better grades don't do. I think it's a 'worst case'.

pecosthecat said:
For best result a slow, but firm draw is needed. The point to keep in mind is that you need airflow over the herb to extract the vapor, but you need to keep the speed slow so as to not cool things down. I find it takes a fair bit of suction, but a slow and controlled speed to get the best results. Soft sips like used on the MFLB don't work well.

Agreed, it's not a Launch Box, nor much like it except for size and general use. Airflow is what transfers heat, not cools stuff off. Within reason you can cut the draw when you get in too deep, just releasing the 'chicken switch' doesn't do it as the heater core itself is already much hotter than the herb it's heating. It doesn't rapidly ramp up and down in temp like the LB screen does.

I suggest letting it heat five or so seconds then start a steady sort of 'medium speed' draw until it comes to working temperature. Then slack off some and hunt for 'the sweet spot' you're after. And be responsive to your results and modify accordingly. As another poster put it, the TV wants to teach you how to use it.

SF Giant said:
Fwiw i load a full bowl every time for these super tasty/dense hits you speak of, a little extra stirring isn't a problem for me if the reward is better hits

I think you hit it spot on. A flexible machine, very capable if you meet it at least part way. Expect it to do what you want the way you want to do it and you might be in for disappointment. For myself, as a relaxed user, it's kind of fun to mess with between hits anyway.

OF

OF,

pecosthecat

OF said:
I suggest letting it heat five or so seconds then start a steady sort of 'medium speed' draw until it comes to working temperature. Then slack off some and hunt for 'the sweet spot' you're after. And be responsive to your results and modify accordingly. As another poster put it, the TV wants to teach you how to use it.

Bingo. Perfect advice. :D

Your tongue will give you a pretty good idea of where the temperature is at.

pecosthecat,

mongrel

hey, just ordered one of these. this portable seems to be a new direction and looks great and very car glove box friendly. i look forward to it's arrival in several weeks time... it takes quite some time for packages to eventually arrive at farm. it took 5 weeks for an iphone to get here!
mongrel

mongrel,

Soulhunter

mongrel said:
hey, just ordered one of these. this portable seems to be a new direction and looks great and very car glove box friendly. i look forward to it's arrival in several weeks time... it takes quite some time for packages to eventually arrive at farm. it took 5 weeks for an iphone to get here!
mongrel

LOL, I almost feel sorry for u. If i dont get my stuff in a week i start to worry it is lost :p

Anyone feel like they have put the revolution through some real haevy use and possibly can ansver my q?
How much can u put in the revolution (amount and times used) Before u need to clean it?

Soulhunter,

bruno13

insomniac
Because I am not interested in the TV, but would like to read about the revolution and not read about the TV. It is a different vaporizer and deserves its own thread.

bruno13,

OF

bruno13 said:
Because I am not interested in the TV, but would like to read about the revolution and not read about the TV. It is a different vaporizer and deserves its own thread.

That's understandable, I guess. OTOH, I tend to agree with the idea that the two are really different versions of the same (they even say exactly the same stuff on the bottom, so ordinary folks might confuse 'em). There is also considerable interest in convertible kits, are we to get new topics for them?

Then again, I thought a separate WISPR thread (away from Iolite) was a mistake for basically the same reason and I think an objective review of those two threads will show many times when information could have been channeled better.

While it'd be nice to have custom formatting and editing automatically provided, most of us learn to scan a thread such as this on fairly quickly. Nobody asked my opinion, and I don't think we get to vote, but if we did.....

OF

OF,
This is the beauty of this product it shows how versatile it is compared to other products in the portable vape category. Its like buying a mustang with the option of a convertable; same car different feature ;) . If we were to vote i would say no new thread. btw bruno13 did you have the chance to try the TV? I didnt yet but im looking forward to it in the near future. After following this thread from page 1 it seems like no one has yet mastered all the different techniques. Yet alot guys still doing testing with very good results and tips. I guess the anticipation of new portable vape technology, IMO, overwhelms some of us vaporists and we dont have the patience to learn how to use it properly. Every vape has a learning curve. Once the hype of "hey i got a new vape" dies down then the user seem to ride that curve. :2c:

mflb_hustler,
Top Bottom