Discontinued ThermoVape

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
rastavape said:
Im am confused as to what kind of metal exactly is used as the herb chamber? stainless steel or Aluminum?

We use an Electroless Nickel Plated Aluminum. Because electroless nickel plating produces a non-toxic coating, it is commonly used in medical devices. Other applications include optical surfaces for diamond turning, electrical/mechanical tools, and various industrial equipment. Additionally electroless nickel plating increasing the hardness (durability) and corrosion resistance of the Aluminum, plus it looks good.

Hope that helps, cheers,

ThermoVape,

Tanuvan

This vape is very elegant. Can any information be provided on how the concentrate attachment might work? i.e. will the concentrate version take carts that need to be replaced?

Tanuvan,

Pete Jones

Am I correct that the unit's on/off switch is located on the side (the grooved metal part)? Any problems with the unit getting turned on when it's in a pocket?

Also, is the unit silent?

Edit: I just found the answers on the website, which claims that the unit does not accidentally turn on and is silent. I thought that I'd leave the post for others' benefit and in case someone has something to add.

Pete Jones,

THCMuscle

Common peeps, comprehensive review please!

My questions to TV owners:

Is your abv evenly and thoroughly cooked after the batteries are spent?

Have you experienced any herb particles in the mouth piece?

Herb particles in the heater holes?

Taste?

THCMuscle,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Tanuvan said:
This vape is very elegant. Can any information be provided on how the concentrate attachment might work? i.e. will the concentrate version take carts that need to be replaced?

The Revolution adapter kit come with 2 components:

1. The ThermoVape Adapter. This replaces the upper portion of the ThermoVape and has a 510 compatible thread patter. Many cartridges have this thread pattern, but not all. In this respect you could use the ThermoVape with cartridges (from another supplier, we do not make cartridges). However keep in mind the ThermoVape runs at ~6 Volts, this may be too much for some of the Chinese made cartridges. The ThermoVape will accept a 17670 3.7V battery, but that would have to be purchased separately, as would a charger for that battery. If you had that set up you could run any 510 compatible cartridge, cartomizer, atomizer etc.

2. The Revolution Universal Concentrate Vaporizer. This is our proprietary and patent pending technology that we developed and manufacture. This will allow you to enjoy any concentrate from thin oils, to solid concentrates in your ThermoVape. We are extremely excited about this product and feel that it is a huge advancement, and we believe it will provide a much needed option for those looking for a effective, clean, efficient and safe way to enjoy their concentrates. You will be able to very easily load any type of concentrate int the Revolution. It is easy to use, easy to clean, and easy to load. Our beta testers have been getting anywhere from 50-150 inhalations per battery charge, and have been thrilled with the flavor and quality of the Revolution. In production now, coming soon. It will be available as a separate kit for the ThermoVape.

Just to dispel any concerns, we will not be selling the Revolution for a discounted price with the ThermoVape. So if you already have purchased a ThermoVape, or plan on purchasing one before the Revolution is available, you will not be paying more then those that get the device later. We would never punish the early adopters!

Hope that helps.

ThermoVape,
so i ran into my first serious problem with my ThermoVape today. I disassembled it to clean, and when i was screwing it all back together, i noticed that the black casing around the battery compartment had been turned out of place as seen here:
photo1-1.jpg

I couldn't get it back into position, until i assembled the ThermoVape completely. I was then able to hold the top part of the TV and twist the bottom and was able to get the black casing back to its original position by spinning it all the way back around the battery compartment. It appeared ti be back to normal as seen here:
photo2-3.jpg

Now after i did this i attempted to unscrew the the TV as if you were going to simply put in batteries. I was and am still not able to unscrew this part. it appears that only the black casing is turning around the metal insides, and is not actually unscrewing from the other compartments. I have no problem removing the bowl, but when it comes to the battery compartment, i cannot get it open. Even more interesting, i am able to pull up on the upper half of the TV, and actually pull the metal 'cage' around the battery compartment up like in this picture:
photo3-3.jpg

For whatever reason, the battery part of my TV is now stuck and will not unscrew from the rest of the unit. All i can do is pull the metal from the bottom half of the unit up some, and the black casing just spins around without the metal underneath actually unscrewing. I am very frustrated and tried everything to get it undone but i cannot seem to find a solution.

I hope this makes sense and that TV can help in figuring out what to do, because as of now my TV does not work.

majorpeaches,

OF

Is that a broke surface at the top of the sleeve in the third photo? Focus isn't that good, but it looks pretty crude to me. Did it break somehow?

I guess I don't follow, what's spinning when it shouldn't (or isn't when it should)? Is the metal part deepest inside the issue? Can you hold it with your thumb and keep it from turning? I assume the cap normally screws onto the metal tube inside as it has to move up with the battery pack when the unit is switched on???

OF

OF,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
No worries, I'm making another instructional video to show how to disassemble and re-assemble the device. The gap in the third image is a gap between the middle and lower Delrin sleeves.

Video coming up!

ThermoVape,
G

are there any toxins released by heating nickel plated aluminum?

does the plating degrade over time? if so how long?

i know that aluminum itself, when heated to fairly high temps similar to the ones reached by the Thermovape, releases toxins, some of which are linked to Alzheimers.

Guest,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Maybe a dumb question but is your heating element/bowl piece screwed in all the way?, i accidentally loosened mine a few days ago and didnt notice and it caused some gaps in the outer sheathing that were tripping me out , i was sure something was broken until i realized that i could see the black O ring on the heating element (if it is fully set you cant see it at all) so i threaded it back in tight and everthing fit back together good and tight, hope it gets worked out

SF Giant,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
THCMuscle said:
Common peeps, comprehensive review please! been too busy to sit down and write an essay lately and honestly i feel like i need around a week of solid use to really put a legitimate review out there....i have answered any questions i felt i could ITT and will continue to do so

My questions to TV owners:

Is your abv evenly and thoroughly cooked after the batteries are spent? Yes, im grinding pretty fine and giving a stir halfway through and my abv is a healthy dark brown, ill try to post an abv puc tonight

Have you experienced any herb particles in the mouth piece? Yes, seemingly comparable to what gets through into the stem on my CRZ

Herb particles in the heater holes? Yes, some smaller pieces have gotten in the holes, i makes sure i clean out the bowl after every load and then give it a good toot to dislodge any pieces, doing this after every bowl no herb has actually stayed down in the heating chamber so far and while i was originally pretty concerned with this im not stressing it so much now, we'll see how it looks after 6 months of use lol

Taste? The taste is generally more pure for me than any of my previous portables as i said in my initial impressions (No2, Iolite, mflb, classic VG)

SF Giant,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
rastavape said:
are there any toxins released by heating nickel plated aluminum?

does the plating degrade over time? if so how long?

i know that aluminum itself, when heated to fairly high temps similar to the ones reached by the Thermovape, releases toxins, some of which are linked to Alzheimers.

I think the 3 refernces below is good reading if you really want to understand the foundation for current concerns about aluminum.

1. "Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can be." [Source: US Department of Health Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

2. Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, The Alzheimer's Society website.

3. Otto Helmboldt, L. Keith Hudson, Chanakya Misra, Karl Wefers, Wolfgang Heck, Hans Stark, Max Danner, Norbert Rsch "Aluminum Compounds, Inorganic" in Ullmann's Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, 2007, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim.

It is also good to remember that aluminum is remarkably nontoxic, aluminium sulfate having an LD50 of 6207 mg/kg (oral, mouse), which corresponds to 500 grams for a 80 kg person.

With those references in mind, a few things about the ThermoVape that should help alleviate concerns.

Even if you were to eat the ThermoVape, and somehow be able to digest it all, and absorb it all, it still would be below the LD50 (Lethal Dose).

The electroless nickel plating may tarnish and wear down on the outside of the thumb switch over long term, extended use (we will strip and replate the switch for free if this ever happens). That said, exposure to heat actually hardens the nickel plating. This hardening means that it is even more stable. The inside (flowpath) is not exposed to wear stress, so it will not break down over time, simply reach a steady state of hardness after repeated thermocycling.

Aluminum, and nickel, for the sake of this discussion cannot release toxins as they are pure elements. When people refer to them, they mean they are toxic in and of themselves if consumed, absorbed, etc.

The Aluminum Alloy we use, in general, contains:

Silicon minimum 0.4%, maximum 0.8% by weight
Iron no minimum, maximum 0.7%
Copper minimum 0.15%, maximum 0.40%
Manganese no minimum, maximum 0.15%
Magnesium minimum 0.8%, maximum 1.2%
Chromium minimum 0.04%, maximum 0.35%
Zinc no minimum, maximum 0.25%
Titanium no minimum, maximum 0.15%
Remainder Aluminum (95.85%-98.56%)

These pure elements combine to make the alloy. The alloy is then machined and completely plated with nickel, which does not break down with heat, it gets harder and more stable.

The best way to avoid aluminum, if you are concerned for the health risk, is to purchase deodorant that does not contain any aluminum, in this instance you are directly applying some amount of aluminum to your skin and it is being absorbed transdermally. Cheap aluminum cook wear is another possible source of exposure, as you are actually consuming (eating) aluminum or an alloy, not toxins, just actual aluminum or an alloy and it is getting broken down and either stored by your body (potentially causing health concerns over time) or excreted.

The ThermoVape is built from the electroless nickel plated aluminum specifically because it is a medical device grade, safe, durable, corrosion resistant, light, strong, and a time tested material and finish, Aluminum is actually remarkably nontoxic when compared with other metals or plastics, and even more so when encased in the nickel plating.

Finally the melting temperature for aluminum is around 1400F (the ThermoVape does not even threaten to run any where near that hot, we are about 1000F below that temp at the core), when you talk about toxin release at lower temperature, that is actually the breakdown of cheap cookwear at 450+F that has been described in the literature. A very separate subject and not applicaple to the ThermoVape. That said, do not use your thermovape as cookwear :D, we have not tested that... yet....

Hope that helps.

gvape

Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the vape due to the awesome discount from puff it up... Really dont see how I could turn down the offer. I do wish the customer service of thermovape was better though. I would have preferred to order DIRECTLY from the company, but I sent 3 emails now and not a response to one. I hope the vape works better than the customer service I have yet to see so far.

Other than that I am excited for the device and cant wait to see how it performs!

gvape,
SF Giant said:
One thing i noticed today is that this vape is pretty dependant on having your herbs good and dry, i vaped a few bowls of some sour D today that was pretty moist and while i did get some solid hits, it took way longer to get the herbs up to temp and the vapor flowing, this resulted in getting fewer total hits (about 6 or so) before the set of batteries died short of finishing the bowl, it stands to reason but i thought id mention it anyway. Another thing is that the switch/battery holder part can get pretty god damn hot towards the end of a bowl if you are hitting it repeatedly, it's not going to burn you or anything but i have had to let off of switch to my other thumb a couple of times, due to this and the shorter battery life im gonna say that this vape is better used solo or maybe with one or two others at most, i dont see this being passed around for a big session unfortunately, i see this vape as a heavily improved mflb as far as the situations i will use it in........sadly my No2 may have to stick around for a bit longer for multi person sessions on the fly. Im still really digging the vape but this realization is mildly sad

Hey sf originally you said that this vape would not replace your no2 for when you have more than 1 or 2 people over. Have you had any changes in opinion over the last few days using it.

Futuretvowner,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
gvape said:
Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the vape due to the awesome discount from puff it up... Really dont see how I could turn down the offer. I do wish the customer service of thermovape was better though. I would have preferred to order DIRECTLY from the company, but I sent 3 emails now and not a response to one. I hope the vape works better than the customer service I have yet to see so far.

Other than that I am excited for the device and cant wait to see how it performs!

If that is the case, I apologize. Did you send these emails to the info@thermovape.com address? We have a team member who's job it is to reply to all incoming emails and if you sent 3, and received no reply... that is a problem we need to fix!

I just looked through the inbox, can you send another email to info@thermovape.com. I am not seeing the emails you are mentioning.

Thank you,

ThermoVape,
What kind of a discount is puffitup offering? I'll be pretty upset with thermovape if I just ordered mine on Thursday from thermovape directly and now some amazing discount is being given to people who purchase it from puffitup...... What gives thermovape?

Futuretvowner,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Futuretvowner said:
SF Giant said:
One thing i noticed today is that this vape is pretty dependant on having your herbs good and dry, i vaped a few bowls of some sour D today that was pretty moist and while i did get some solid hits, it took way longer to get the herbs up to temp and the vapor flowing, this resulted in getting fewer total hits (about 6 or so) before the set of batteries died short of finishing the bowl, it stands to reason but i thought id mention it anyway. Another thing is that the switch/battery holder part can get pretty god damn hot towards the end of a bowl if you are hitting it repeatedly, it's not going to burn you or anything but i have had to let off of switch to my other thumb a couple of times, due to this and the shorter battery life im gonna say that this vape is better used solo or maybe with one or two others at most, i dont see this being passed around for a big session unfortunately, i see this vape as a heavily improved mflb as far as the situations i will use it in........sadly my No2 may have to stick around for a bit longer for multi person sessions on the fly. Im still really digging the vape but this realization is mildly sad

Hey sf originally you said that this vape would not replace your no2 for when you have more than 1 or 2 people over. Have you had any changes in opinion over the last few days using it.
Not really, i still think the sweetspot for this vape is 2 or at most 3 people in the session, now that i have actually tried it in these situations the heat wasn't a problem but just the fact that if you pass it around
a circle of 4 people once and the bowl/batteries are almost haof cashed just doesnt add up to
convenient for this many people, also having to explain to my vape ignorent friends how to use it before each hit is annoying, today i went to a buddies place to watch the niner game with a few friends and i brough my No2 for them to use and steathly hogged my TV to myself lol (the comparatively shitty taste of my No2 is a bitbothersome

SF Giant,

OF

SF Giant said:
today i went to a buddies place to watch the niner game with a few friends and i brough my No2 for them to use and steathly hogged my TV to myself lol (the comparatively shitty taste of my No2 is a bitbothersome

No, no, no. You thoughtfully provided a state of the art instrument with computer control for the uneducated and inexperienced....meanwhile making do yourself with the unproven manual model, taking all those risks yourself. Noble indeed.

You should think about replacing your Publicist.......

Thanks for the insights.

OF

OF,

moodswing

low tolerance is underrated
Futuretvowner said:
What kind of a discount is puffitup offering? I'll be pretty upset with thermovape if I just ordered mine on Thursday from thermovape directly and now some amazing discount is being given to people who purchase it from puffitup...... What gives thermovape?

and why would thermovape be to blame? :rolleyes:

moodswing,

THCMuscle

moodswing said:
Futuretvowner said:

Yeah seriously. Entirely his fault.

THCMuscle,
Hmm maybe because thermovape is offering them to puffitup at a discounted rate.... I seriously doubt that puffitup is going to take a loss in profits just to sell the vape.... This is going to leave a really sour taste in my mouth if this is true tv.... Punishing the original purchasers who ordered before any real reviews of the thermoVape have come out. I hope it's not true or if it is I hope I will be receiving some kind of a rebate or some free accessories.

Futuretvowner,

OF

moodswing said:
Futuretvowner said:

Good point. Do we want to folks pay more? Several other vape makers got pressured into insisting that their retailers didn't allow discounts (about all they can do, they don't want to be in the business of giving out refunds on the margins). In the end that only prevents other folks from getting a better price.

I'm sorry you could have got it cheaper later from a different vendor, but it also could have gone up. In a broader sense you got a quality unit of the model you wanted at the price agreed to, right? For myself, I like it that a vendor can cut his margin and offer savings....I'd hate to see that disappear for this vape like it has for others.

OF

OF,
ThermoVape said:
No worries, I'm making another instructional video to show how to disassemble and re-assemble the device. The gap in the third image is a gap between the middle and lower Delrin sleeves.

Video coming up!

TV

Here's the issue though:
photo-2.jpg

i have removed everything except for the compartment for above the batteries. When i try to twist or unscrew this section (which i have done numerous times before to replace my batteries), only the black casing spins around, as if the threads underneath are stuck together. Nothing i do enables me to unscrew this last part of the TV.

majorpeaches,
Top Bottom