Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

the doc

first off i would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. there is a ton of info here to process thats helps the like of me find out about products i will never see in person before purchase. i am in the process of clearing up some ordering issues (problems processing my address) with TV before ordering (yes you guessed it) a black EVO. will be adding a dart and extra batteries to the base unit as well.

there is one area i am still a little confused about: the difference between the 2 voltages. whilst i had planned on the 6v is there any benefit to going for LV version?
TIA

the doc,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Naw.....that was a freebie for post 999... sorry :p
:rofl:

Really though, I am still finding myself thinking about trying the T1 attachment. I know it is not necessary, but after using the Evo, I am so curious about how the T1 works in comparison.

jambandphan03,

OF

Did I read that the 1000th message gets a free Evo LV in that amazing new black finish??? :-O

No, close though, the guy that forces the rest of us into four digits buys a round for the house.......

I'll have a gram of the Headband, please.....

TIA

OF

OF

there is one area i am still a little confused about: the difference between the 2 voltages. whilst i had planned on the 6v is there any benefit to going for LV version?
TIA

I think it's a little easier to deal with one battery in the LV than two, and they're a little longer lived usually. My take is if you already are set up for the Standard Voltage (six Volts), go with SV, otherwise LV is probably a little better. Not by much, and it could all change.

LV also makes it easier to buy a cheap adapter and run Omicron carts on it. With Standard Voltage you're restricted to 4 and 5 Ohm carts, although new batteries and a charger for them will easily convert one system to the other.

Really though, I am still finding myself thinking about trying the T1 attachment. I know it is not necessary, but after using the Evo, I am so curious about how the T1 works in comparison.

I like T1. I think Evolution is easier to deal with, but T1 is more fun to play with in the process. I think you have more control with it and you can open it up and mess with it in process. I'm glad I have both, and personally would get both again right away if something happened to them but I'd recommend Evolution first for guys just starting out I think.

OF

OF,
Reactions: the doc

2clicker

Observer
Good idea, my switch gets really hot sometimes, would it be possible to make a small pad that presses in through a couple of holes in the existing sleeve design, that gives a thumb pad of derlin shouldn't interfere with the function this way.

the only problem i see with that is that the derlin pad would stop the sleeve from being inserted or removed from the handle... due to the derlins thickness. that is why i was thinking the sleeve itself could be made of derlin.

of course there would have to be a metal contact in the bottom and whatever else is needed, but i still think it could really help.

ive got some really nice adhesive backed textured rubber sheets that i used to wrap my Detonator. looks great and keeps the heat of the Detonator tube inside very well. been thinking about using a piece on the sleeve similar to your derlin thumb pad idea. however i still think the thickness of this rubber will be too much for the sleeve to be removed. there is not much wiggle room between the handle and the battery sleeve.

2clicker,

OF

ive got some really nice adhesive backed textured rubber sheets that i used to wrap my Detonator. looks great and keeps the heat of the Detonator tube inside very well.

Sounds like a good plan from a user standpoint, but consider it's a very very bad idea from the battery's point of view. Insulating it in any way will make it get still hotter, and heat, more than anything else, is going to kill it. I forget the numbers but it's something like 8 or 10 degrees rise past a certain point that cuts your lifespan in half.

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
Sounds like a good plan from a user standpoint, but consider it's a very very bad idea from the battery's point of view. Insulating it in any way will make it get still hotter, and heat, more than anything else, is going to kill it. I forget the numbers but it's something like 8 or 10 degrees rise past a certain point that cuts your lifespan in half.

OF

good call. what about adding more ventilation holes then...?

2clicker,

OF

good call. what about adding more ventilation holes then...?

More? There are some? Great. I don't have that unit, but didn't notice them in the photos. Just remember you need upper and lower ones of more or less equal size and a clear path between them. I suspect the battery blocks the path? Perhaps you could groove the inner wall of the tube?

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
More? There are some? Great. I don't have that unit, but didn't notice them in the photos. Just remember you need upper and lower ones of more or less equal size and a clear path between them. I suspect the battery blocks the path? Perhaps you could groove the inner wall of the tube?

OF

there are two holes on the bottom of the batt tube. both larger than the single hole on the TV batt sleeve. however i dont see it getting much use now that ive got a TV unit.

im still interested in a way to treat the TV batt sleeve... but cant quite figure it out. there is very little room to work with between the OD of the batt sleeve and the ID of the handle. the rubber ive got is certainly too thick to wrap the sleeve so thats out. im still considering applying a small thumb pad piece of the rubber to the sleeve, but i know it will then not allow for the sleeve to be removed from the handle.

what about a thin layer of a spray or roll on rubber? possibly if i can find a high temp material to roll or spray on in thin layers...?

2clicker,

PB88123

Vaporist
first off i would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. there is a ton of info here to process thats helps the like of me find out about products i will never see in person before purchase. i am in the process of clearing up some ordering issues (problems processing my address) with TV before ordering (yes you guessed it) a black EVO. will be adding a dart and extra batteries to the base unit as well.

TIA

6v - 2 batteries, heats up quicker, from cold in 10 seconds and when warm 5 seconds. around 15-20 hits a charge
3.7 (LV) - 1 battery, heats from cold in 15-20 seconds and then 7-10 seconds when warm. around 25 hits a charge from what i read. if anyone has a better number for the LV let us know.

PB88123,
Reactions: the doc

OF

there are two holes on the bottom of the batt tube. both larger than the single hole on the TV batt sleeve.

Careful. Small gas vents in the bottom don't qualify and ventilation, there's no net air movement through them. Useless from a heat standpoint. To work there you need exhaust vents, a path between and temperature differential to drive it with. You basically have none of that working for you yet.

The T1 is counting on having a hot surface in the window to get rid of the heat before it really makes things bad. There are all sorts of options in the area, I think TV has explored them. I don't think more insulation is the answer.

Fun stuff, few easy answers.

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
Careful. Small gas vents in the bottom don't qualify and ventilation, there's no net air movement through them. Useless from a heat standpoint. To work there you need exhaust vents, a path between and temperature differential to drive it with. You basically have none of that working for you yet.

The T1 is counting on having a hot surface in the window to get rid of the heat before it really makes things bad. There are all sorts of options in the area, I think TV has explored them. I don't think more insulation is the answer.

Fun stuff, few easy answers.

OF

i see. do you think putting a quarter sized piece of rubber on the sleeve (thumb pad) would make a big difference? enough to affect cell performance or life?

2clicker,

OF

i see. do you think putting a quarter sized piece of rubber on the sleeve (thumb pad) would make a big difference? enough to affect cell performance or life?

Can't tell you about big, but it's basically a surface area thing, degrade a third the surface to half value and you've lost 1/6, the new rise will be something less than 20% bigger because of the change. If only half the total heat made it out that way (out the window area some how) it's 'only' going up 10%. Sure, if it was an issue before (heat cutting lifespan), it's a bigger one now. Performance (mAh capacity) tends to drop over the lifespan, but not linearly. It falls off faster later in life.....as do we all....

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
Can't tell you about big, but it's basically a surface area thing, degrade a third the surface to half value and you've lost 1/6, the new rise will be something less than 20% bigger because of the change. If only half the total heat made it out that way (out the window area some how) it's 'only' going up 10%. Sure, if it was an issue before (heat cutting lifespan), it's a bigger one now. Performance (mAh capacity) tends to drop over the lifespan, but not linearly. It falls off faster later in life.....as do we all....

OF

makes perfect sense. thanks. i think at the risk of a shorter overall battery lifetime ill just do it.

2clicker,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
the only problem i see with that is that the derlin pad would stop the sleeve from being inserted or removed from the handle... due to the derlins thickness. that is why i was thinking the sleeve itself could be made of derlin.

This is why it would need to be able to pop in and out, using holes in the sleeve, and some kind of "peg" on the back of the pad, but it's all just ideas and theories, so who knows how functional it would really be. I rarely take the sleeve out, when changing batteries, so I could see that it would be a minor inconvenience to have to put it on and take it off once in a while. The real challenge would be designing it so it stays in place well and can still be removed but won't just fall off and get lost easily, or while in use. I also had a vision of something that hugs the sleeve, that can be popped on inside one of the grooves, and doesn't completely go around the sleeve, but there is little room there for anything to be inserted between the sleeve and the outer casing. Similar in concept to how these ego button covers pop on...
zmWo1.jpg

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So I popped in a fresh charged set of 3.0's and put my 510 threaded voltage reader on top, and got 6.9v reading.

jambandphan03,

OF

explain, give it 10 seconds...plz

Nice round number. Nothing special. It's more than a few seconds, and any more and you'd get bored and move on? I just want to be sure it's real before worrying about it. It changes things in the logic.....

What happens?

OF

OF,

OF

no, I mean explain what you mean for me to do... put the cart on there and run it for 10 seconds, or what?

Yes, exactly. Sorry to misunderstand the question. I just want to see if it's a surface charge. If so, the load should clear it. Something got it that high.....

Thanks.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I put the cart on, ran a few times, to get some vapor, then put the voltage reader back on, and got variations from 6.4-6.6 each time I activated the switch. Just passing this along, not really asking questions... fyi

I have 6 sets of 2x 3.0 lifepo4, I am keeping each pair numbered 1 & 1, 2 & 2, etc... so I can keep them together as a pair, and I have noticed that I get better performance, or longer run times varying from set to set. I imagine at some point, I will have to start mixing them up once a few singles start to wear out before it's mate does.

I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I have been blowing my vapor out at the lamp on my desk to see how big of hits I am really getting. In regular light, it is nearly invisible, but under my lamp, it clouds up, might help some people who might think they are getting vapor, but can't see it to be sure.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: OF

2clicker

Observer
im curious about the delrin outer sleeve and how it comes off. mine is on very tight and wont even budge. even when hot its not movin. is there a trick to it?

i dont really want to use it w/out the delrin sleeve when using my Evo, but i may want to shed a little OD if im just using my Dart.

2clicker,
Top Bottom