Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

2clicker

Observer
ive been finding with my LV that im looking at at a good 25-30 sec warmup at least before i even think about seeing visual vapor from the first pull... or "heat up pull" or "prime pull". it produces crazy flavor right at about 20 seconds, but never any visual vapor. also i have found that when i let the switch go (off) that it does indeed heat up again to full glow within about 5-7 seconds, BUT by this time the herb itself has cooled a bit and another prime pull is needed to get everything back to full operating temp.

when everything is warmed up properly this lil guy delivers.

hoping my new insulated interface and black Evo sleeve come today :rockon:

2clicker,

OF

I know guys are anxious to get to the good part, but I still think this should be tried as a three step process. 20 honest seconds of core heating (trim it back when you've mastered the rest) first, followed by medium speed pull (say 20 to 30 seconds to completely fill your lungs) until you're sure vaping is going on. Tim's "test puff" (just puff a bit of what's in your mouth out and look at it) is proof, otherwise use your best judgment when it's up to temperature (end of step 2). Now, blow it all out. There's a tiny bit of vapor in the last part only really, blow it out so you can take the hit you've worked so hard for, it's ready to go. Honk on it if you want, see what happens. Pull as long and hard as you dare using the heat stored in the core in addition to that being produced as you hit.

3 steps not 2. Preheat with no draw 20 seconds, draw medium speed until vaping starts, exhale and hit it.

I figure over half a minute of heating just to get to the hit at first, but that's only battery charging. Once you master it, you can cut it back and squeeze a few more hits out, but for now I suggest learning what the machine can do?

OF

B.

War Criminal
Off to my LHS to get some bubble bags because of you OF. You sell that flower/bubble combo in the evo so well I'm finally takin the icehash plunge. I'm excited, I've never made it before. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll post pics tonight if I get to make it, my evo should be here tomorrow.

ThermoTeam- can we post the videos we make for the contest here, or should they not be shared?

OF

Off to my LHS to get some bubble bags because of you OF. You sell that flower/bubble combo in the evo so well I'm finally takin the icehash plunge. I'm excited, I've never made it before. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Cool, never made it. I'm good at pointing at things in the display case though. And I can use fingers for the how many part. Good system, really.

Anyway, you're sure to love it. It's a lot of fun to mess with loading it and all then seeing if it comes out the way you think it will. I find at first I can taste the herb on the bottom but a hit or two later the bubble starts to swamp that out over a hit or two. Then it several more before running down. The last hit or two is sometimes hard for me to get started....could be any number of things I figure. More testing is clearly needed, I'll take care of it.

Yeah, be sure to put a bit of herb on top as well, you don't want to get hash stuck to the metal trap at the top.

Careful use of those bags can do some amazing stuff. I got a gram of some truly amazing Sugary Goo Bubble at 57% THC! 'Put that in your pipe and smoke it' as the saying goes... Or, in this case, put it in your Evolution and vape it. A pretty whiz bang upgrade on sparking up a joint if you asked me. Ain't science grand?

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Off to my LHS to get some bubble bags because of you OF. You sell that flower/bubble combo in the evo so well I'm finally takin the icehash plunge. I'm excited, I've never made it before. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'll post pics tonight if I get to make it, my evo should be here tomorrow.

ThermoTeam- can we post the videos we make for the contest here, or should they not be shared?

What I have learned about making bubble, is to not over agitate the plant material, sure you want to get as much of the good stuff out as you can, but if you get too aggressive (using a drill w/ paint stir attachment for example) you end up with a lot more plant material in your end product. I use a thick wooden dowel, and stir the mix of ice/water/plant for about 15-20 mins. Then let settle for about 1/2 hour minimum, then slowly drain the bags, not forcing the liquid through, but letting gravity do most of the work. It helps to have something to hang them from, a door knob for example, or anything that can bear the weight while it drains. This is most true for the last bag which takes the longest to drain. Everyone has their way but after making it several different ways, I found the slow patient way gave best results.You can always run a second or third batch to see how much is left over. I have the 4 bag system, and find it works great.

I still need to test out putting bubble in the Evo, maybe I should do that right now :brow:

Holy sheepshit, adding bubble is awesome!!:ko:

*** I am loving everything about using the Evo accept for the hot thumb, so I am on a quest to find a functional but inexpensive solution to the heat at the switch...might find some change in how fast it heats up once I get the insulated interface, it might help with this, but I won't know till it gets here.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: B.

VAPORIZER22

What I have learned about making bubble, is to not over agitate the plant material, sure you want to get as much of the good stuff out as you can, but if you get too aggressive (using a drill w/ paint stir attachment for example) you end up with a lot more plant material in your end product. I use a thick wooden dowel, and stir the mix of ice/water/plant for about 15-20 mins. Then let settle for about 1/2 hour minimum, then slowly drain the bags, not forcing the liquid through, but letting gravity do most of the work. It helps to have something to hang them from, a door knob for example, or anything that can bear the weight while it drains. This is most true for the last bag which takes the longest to drain. Everyone has their way but after making it several different ways, I found the slow patient way gave best results.You can always run a second or third batch to see how much is left over. I have the 4 bag system, and find it works great.

I still need to test out putting bubble in the Evo, maybe I should do that right now :brow:

Yup, spot on. The thing is if you are going for quality stir less, if you want quantity stir more.

Also, be sure everything is as cold as possible. Freeze your trim/buds for at least 24 hours, for me fresh undried trim/bud works best. Once you have added water and ice to your bud let it sit for 15-30 minutes before you start stirring. Some use an electric device but I have found that a simple wood broom handle or dowel works best depending on the size of your buckets like Jam suggested.

I also use a spray bottle to pool everything in the middle to make sure you get every last bit as possible. The drying process is really important also and can greatly determine how the end product will be. Normally I freeze the hash after it is extracted and has worked best for me to maintain the consistency I look for. Good luck.

VAPORIZER22,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I learned to hand roll mine for the drying/curing process, which is a long, tedious, messy, process. I blot it on the drying screens by folding them over the wet goo like a taco with a towel on the outside and press to push the water through the screen and into the towel. Might need to reposition the screen on the towel to get a dry spot then press again a few more times until it appears dry on the surface. Then I collect it up and put it in my palm. It starts off wet and powdery, falling apart, makes a bit of a mess in your hands, then after squeezing and working it for a while, it starts to gum up and stick to your skin, then after some more working and kneading, it starts to oil up a little and stick to itself, and slowly turn a darker brown. Once it gets mostly solid but puddy like and stops sticking to me, I flatten it out and let it rest for the night, then kneed it again daily for a week or so, end up with very nice puddy like, soft and pliable bubble. Takes about an hour and really works my hands out, so this process may not be for most people. Sometimes it will stay sticky and gooey even after drying out for a while, if I barely agitate the plant material.

From what I have seen though, most people press dry the bubble with the screens that come with the bags for drying it on, and it is more powdery, less sticky (at least in my experience) but way less of a pain in the arse. I'm sure results will vary depending on your starting material. Anyone else have anything to add?

I just loaded up some tiny scraps of bubble to see how they vape in the Evo, and it works and tastes great!! Used the herb/bubble/herb set up. :tup:

jambandphan03,

Tuck

I know guys are anxious to get to the good part, but I still think this should be tried as a three step process. 20 honest seconds of core heating (trim it back when you've mastered the rest) first, followed by medium speed pull (say 20 to 30 seconds to completely fill your lungs) until you're sure vaping is going on. Tim's "test puff" (just puff a bit of what's in your mouth out and look at it) is proof, otherwise use your best judgment when it's up to temperature (end of step 2). Now, blow it all out. There's a tiny bit of vapor in the last part only really, blow it out so you can take the hit you've worked so hard for, it's ready to go. Honk on it if you want, see what happens. Pull as long and hard as you dare using the heat stored in the core in addition to that being produced as you hit.

3 steps not 2. Preheat with no draw 20 seconds, draw medium speed until vaping starts, exhale and hit it.

I figure over half a minute of heating just to get to the hit at first, but that's only battery charging. Once you master it, you can cut it back and squeeze a few more hits out, but for now I suggest learning what the machine can do?

OF

Mine arrived today. I put my batteries on the charger and the charger showed a solid green light for one of the batteries. I followed your instructions and had immediate success. Thanks a bunch!

And if you don't want to deal with the mess from Ice Water Bubble, you really need to check out dry ice. You skip the water and ice but still use your bags. The best part is the result is already dry. dry ice is cheap and you can get it at your local grocery store. Here's an example.

OF

Mine arrived today. I put my batteries on the charger and the charger showed a solid green light for one of the batteries. I followed your instructions and had immediate success. Thanks a bunch!

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback, that's just what I was hoping to do.

Enjoy your new machine, it's really quite something.....

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I have been meaning to try the dry ice method too. I saw the gallon size bags online for around $12 (google search) and a paint can is usually around a dollar at most hardware stores. Larger coffee cans work too I think. That is about as simple as it gets and if you cruise the youtube videos, some people are getting piles!! Fun stuff!

Enjoy your Evo!

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

B.

War Criminal
LHS was a nogo for the bags, looks like I'm going to have to order online. Bummer, I really wanted to hit the ground runnin with this beast. I did get a nice new piece of glass, I plan on poppin my evo's cherry in style.

Should be here tomorrow :)

Jam, thanks for the $12 tip, I'm gonna track that down right now.

edit-Holy shit sears has bags for sale. Thats crazy.

B.,
Reactions: t-dub

jambandphan03

in flavor country
super cool!! My black interface and cap just got here, I am loving the new look and feel! Time to fire it up for a proper breaking in!! I was already pretty medicated when it got here, but I still put 5-6 pulls on it, and am noticing the heat seems to be reduced quite a bit with the new interface. I will give it a heavier run soon, to see how much the switch heats up (or doesn't) with it on there. :clap:

** It's definitely much improved on the heat build up. It's nice to have the "naked" metal covered up now where it was getting really hot before. Much more tolerable than the original... so far anyway. I've been running it pretty steady for the last couple of hours off and on, and have not felt near as much discomfort with the heat as before... My thumb is much happier now :tup: The unit looks and feels much more complete, and I love the all black, way more stealthy IMO. I'm looking forward to getting the T1 and the smoothflow, maybe tomorrow if it's on time. I feel like doing the happy dance!! :rofl:

Tuck

My charger has 2 switches on the side, one for 300Ma and 650Ma, and another for 3.2v and 3.7v. I understand the 3.7v. The first switch is set to 300Ma right now. What does that mean? That's how it came, so I haven't messed with it.

Tuck,

JoeKickass

My charger has 2 switches on the side, one for 300Ma and 650Ma, and another for 3.2v and 3.7v. I understand the 3.7v. The first switch is set to 300Ma right now. What does that mean? That's how it came, so I haven't messed with it.

300 milli-amps or 0.3 amps of charging current, is what it means.

If you are using the imr (or aw) batteries that come with the TV kits, it's safe to go ahead and bump it up to 0.65 amps so your batteries will charge faster :ninja:

NoName

** It's definitely much improved on the heat build up. It's nice to have the "naked" metal covered up now where it was getting really hot before. Much more tolerable than the original... so far anyway. I've been running it pretty steady for the last couple of hours off and on, and have not felt near as much discomfort with the heat as before... My thumb is much happier now :tup: The unit looks and feels much more complete, and I love the all black, way more stealthy IMO. I'm looking forward to getting the T1 and the smoothflow, maybe tomorrow if it's on time. I feel like doing the happy dance!! :rofl:[/quote]

Absolutely - I can't comment on the heat buildup for the original LV EVOL (my device had the new sleeve/insulator when I received it) BUT I found (as did Jam) that heat buildup may no longer be an issue!! I've been able to run through a couple of consecutive bowls w/o any IMO significant heat probs-and certainly no 'burnt thumbs' (yay). I'm just LOVING this thing.

@OF thanks once again for the tip on the source for the 510 to M601 ( ie adapter needed to use Omicron carts on Thermo's 510 threads). I received my adapters yesterday and gave them a go. First I gave them a quick visual inspection (all 'looked' fine). Next I used a meter to check for shorts (I think maybe Jam had something die b/c of a short-circuit recently??) and they tested fine. I then mounted one first on the cartridge (a nice tight fit w/o having to 'over-tighten') and then mounted them on my Evolution (again a nice tight fit with no 'wobble'). And then, WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!! Adapters work fine - I was even able to coax a SD cart back to life with the Evolution. Btw I did this on the heels of the 2 aforementioned bowls on the same batt!! I like to re-charge batts before they run too low, so while I feel like I might have been able to run another (or more?) bowl - I can't confirm this (Damn! More testing needed in order to further 'Science'. Anyway, adapters work fine so thanks again for the tip and to those out there that need these, "Grab them while they're available!!
NoName

NoName,

OF

@OF thanks once again for the tip on the source for the 510 to M601 ( ie adapter needed to use Omicron carts on Thermo's 510 threads). Anyway, adapters work fine so thanks again for the tip and to those out there that need these, "Grab them while they're available!!

You're welcome. Glad you tried it out and it worked for you. IMO a guy should have an appropriate sized cart, with an adapter, and some tasty oil preloaded standing by with these TV guys. Not only is it a nice change of pace sometimes, but it can come in mighty handy sometimes......

OF

OF,
Reactions: NoName

VAPORIZER22

So you were able to use the adapter with an Omicron cart on your Evo body Noname? Did you get yours from e-cigz? I ask because so far OF and myself were the only ones to report on the success (or lack thereof) of these adapters and was curious if they worked for you as well.

VAPORIZER22,

OF

So you were able to use the adapter with an Omicron cart on your Evo body Noname? Did you get yours from e-cigz? I ask because so far OF and myself were the only ones to report on the success (or lack thereof) of these adapters and was curious if they worked for you as well.

That's my understanding, the OP can confirm, it's the only adapter out there it seems. I've had more successes but also ran into the 'no venting' problem on a VV head I have. Again, filing a couple of notches fixed this easily. I think folks need to be ready to do this too if it won't draw freely. You need notches with the same or more area as the two holes above the threads, nothing special, no big deal if you have a file or even a hacksaw??

FWIW, I had the reverse condition with Persei trying use the OneLove adapter with Evolution. Too much restriction, again half a minute with a couple of needle files and it's history. The TV adapter I have has four shallow notches that work fine, I don't have the THC version. Remember, these adapters 'go the other way', they put 510 thread stuff on 601 supplies like Persei.

OF

NoName

Vapor- Yes I was able to use a 2.4ohm cart on the most recently released ( the one with the new sleeve/insulator) LV EVOLUTION so far w/o any problems. In fact, I was able to get a really stubborn SD filled cart to finally prime and hit properly. I'll mention that I had previously used all the forum and wiki tips to prime, unclog etc. the cart unsuccessfully (hope I haven't jinxed it now LOL). Also, I haven't modified (as in OF's post) the adapters in any way as of yet. Can OF or someone elaborate on the 'need to file'?? Is this needed for air flow?? TIA-just don't want to damage my 'New Baby'.
NoName

Sorry, feel like a moron. OF's previous post seems to adequately address my concerns. Guess it's time to look for a file?

Edit#2: And yes the adapters came from the E-cigz site.

VAPORIZER22

Vapor- Yes I was able to use a 2.4ohm cart on the most recently released ( the one with the new sleeve/insulator) LV EVOLUTION so far w/o any problems. In fact, I was able to get a really stubborn SD filled cart to finally prime and hit properly. I'll mention that I had previously used all the forum and wiki tips to prime, unclog etc. the cart unsuccessfully (hope I haven't jinxed it now LOL). Also, I haven't modified (as in OF's post) the adapters in any way as of yet. Can OF or someone elaborate on the 'need to file'?? Is this needed for air flow?? TIA-just don't want to damage my 'New Baby'.
NoName

Thanks for the info. I was able to get good hits off my 2.4 cart on the Rev body at 6v without modifying the adapter. The hits were more restricted when compared to using an Omicron battery but they were still good cloudy hits.

OF modified his because he was not able to get any type of decent hit. My guess would be that if it is working for you as is then you have no worries of needing any modification unless you find in the future it is not getting the job done.

VAPORIZER22,
Reactions: NoName

NoName

Thanks for the info. I was able to get good hits off my 2.4 cart on the Rev body at 6v without modifying the adapter. The hits were more restricted when compared to using an Omicron battery but they were still good cloudy hits.

OF modified his because he was not able to get any type of decent hit. My guess would be that if it is working for you as is then you have no worries of needing any modification unless you find in the future it is not getting the job done.

You're welcome and thanks for the answer re: adapter modification. Now with these and the 'reverse' (M601 batt to 510 thread attys) adapters we should be able to take many of our new toys across the two different 'platforms'. Ain't technology grand??

2clicker

Observer
i also have an ecigz 510/601 adapter and can confirm that my Omi carts (2.4ohm) work like they should on my TV body.

and i got my black insulated top and black Evo sleeve today. i noticed it did take longer for the batt tube to get hot, but it eventually still did get pretty hot to the touch. and ive tried quite a few times to get the Evo sleeve to mate with my 18mm downstem gong joint, but because the sleeve is hard it was tricky to keep a good seal. so i put an oring just below the mouth piece... similar to TVs water adapters, but needed a thick oring to get the OD i was after. anyway, it works perfectly. very easy to seal and keep sealed. even if your moving around a bit it stays sealed.

heres a pic of my rig... with dstem oring
c18d1906.jpg

Top Bottom