Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm curious how this is working for you. I considered modifying the heat shield but I was afraid of doing something permanent in case I ever wanted to go back to the original setup. I like the leather stripping. It works like a charm, but the delrin shield would probably look better.

How is this working for you?

It was your picture with the leather that got me thinking, thanks for that. It's a definite improvement, however I'm still battling getting charred bits at the bottom before the load is done. I'm sure it's just my technique that needs refining, but the hits do seem to come easier with the mods.

Peloton,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
I have both the T1 and the Evo, and thus far I really prefer the T1. The battery life is worse, I am able to get only 4 to 5 drags on each set of batteries, but it gets nice and hot on the 3rd drag and can give some awesome clouds. I am still using the original set of three I received with my initial order, and they seem to be holding their charge just fine, I have not noticed any reduction in output.

I have to admit my Evo has been sitting for a while, for some reason I cannot embrace it as I have the T1. I still get great clouds from the Evo, but I just can't love the packing sequence on it. I did take it to the theater to see The Avengers a couple of weeks ago, along with my vapor cig, and received no nasty looks or comments. It was quite nice getting to vape while 3Ding out.

My T1 is still my everyday pocket vape, it is built tough as hell (dropped it in a lake playing frisbee golf, has hit concrete several times), is discreet and medicates me perfectly. I hate to hear about unhappy users, my experience with the product and the company has been stellar, they even sent me o-rings for my Evo without a request.

I am sorry you feel you wasted you money on your T1 futuretvowner, I feel the same about several I have purchased the last few years, but they all were a learning experience, and as we learn we should make better decisions about our purchases. Good luck in your quest for the perfect vape, I am still yet to find mine.

Dogman,
Reactions: darkrom

OF

I have both the T1 and the Evo, and thus far I really prefer the T1. The battery life is worse, I am able to get only 4 to 5 drags on each set of batteries, but it gets nice and hot on the 3rd drag and can give some awesome clouds. I am still using the original set of three I received with my initial order, and they seem to be holding their charge just fine, I have not noticed any reduction in output.

You know, DM, I'm usually with you. Sometimes I get hooked on Evolution again for a while (and having both a SV and a LV version makes for even more to sort through) but I really think I like T1 for ultimate use. If I want to test a new strain, it's the T1 hands down. It just seems to get cleaner easier, ready for the fresh taste of something new. I also seem to have better luck getting a good hit or two out of just a pinch of herb in it than Evolution for reasons I don't understand but accept for now.

IMO either is a great unit, the difference between them pretty slight but real. I mean they're different from other vapes by a fair bit, and from other smoking gear by a huge gap. Given a specific set of conditions one is probably better than the other in most cases, but it's hard to go too far wrong with either.

Thanks for the thoughts.

OF

OF,

Polmol

Well I finally ordered the Evo! :D

Woo-hoo!!

BTW, for those who are unaware and are about to order, Thermovape is giving a 25% discount until May 28. Discount code is MEMORIAL25.

Polmol,
Reactions: B.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
You know, DM, I'm usually with you. Sometimes I get hooked on Evolution again for a while (and having both a SV and a LV version makes for even more to sort through) but I really think I like T1 for ultimate use. If I want to test a new strain, it's the T1 hands down. It just seems to get cleaner easier, ready for the fresh taste of something new. I also seem to have better luck getting a good hit or two out of just a pinch of herb in it than Evolution for reasons I don't understand but accept for now.

IMO either is a great unit, the difference between them pretty slight but real. I mean they're different from other vapes by a fair bit, and from other smoking gear by a huge gap. Given a specific set of conditions one is probably better than the other in most cases, but it's hard to go too far wrong with either.

Thanks for the thoughts.

OF
I'm having trouble picking a "winner" too. There are many differences, some subtle, some not so subtle, but none of the differences seem to really effect how medicated I get. The differences are all usage differences. Battery stuff. Cleaning stuff. Operational ease. Cloud density.

In the "learning" I've been doing the past week with my new Evo, I'm finding that how tight I tamp the load and where in the Evo botanical "tube" the load sits effects whether I get 8 medium hits from a load, or 3 killer hits and 3 medium hits. In both cases, I seem to get just as medicated, the only difference my path to getting there. In some circumstances one "method" may be preferrable to the other (3 hits take less time than 8 hits), or I may just like getting 3 huge, lung busting hits over 8 medium hits. And this subtle difference is by just paying attention to how I pack my Evo load, let alone to the differences between using the T1 and using the Evo.

My observations about the load position may be relevant to the comment you made about a pinch size load working much better for you in the T1 than the Evo. In my efforts to figure out why using the insulator tube method doesn't provide me nearly as good results as the mouthpiece-directly-into-the-evo method, I noticed that whenever I used the standard method, the load wound up riding hi in the evo tube, with maybe 5mm actually sticking out of the top. So the load (which is shaped like a pencil eraser at this point) is sitting in the top of the evo tube after the first hit, with an air gap in the bottom part of the evo tube, and some of the load actually above the tube (but still inside the insulating sleeve, between the top of the evo tube and the bottom of the UFO).

As the Evo is a convection vaporizor, I'm not sure I understand why* the load position in the tube has the effect it does, but operationally I'm finding that it's "important" to pretty much always fill the evo chamber to the top, and tamp it down, or at least make sure a partial load stays tamped down. Even tamped down, putting a partial load in the evo chamber makes for a less wonderful experience for me. I also noticed that if I fill the evo chamber to the top, but don't tamp the load down at all, the first good hit I take tamps the load for me, sadly in the wrong direction.

* I realize the T1 and the Evo are actually mostly convection and partly conduction. I wonder if some of the usage differences are due to the differences in the size and shape of the "ovens" that the load sits in, and the ratio of mass-of-metal of the T1 bowl versus the Evo tube.

All this testing is making me hungry...

can someone please explain how to use the thermovape evolution with the persei? a video would be GREAT haha
Get a thread adapter from pv/d9/tv, get a good battery(i like AW IMR 18650 2000 mah), and your good to go. I use 3 adapters stacked up, to keep the heat away. M601-510 then 510-m601 then m601-510... if that makes sense.

Bart

I'm crushed. Ordered the Evo on Wednesday got shipping info on Thursday. Had delivery date of tomorrow. Was so excited. Then today I got updated shipping info so I called. The guy I talked to was helpful but unfortunatly my package was delayed. Major bummer. Was stoked to have it for the holiday. Shit happens. Still excited to be getting it. Just not good at waiting.

Bart,

2clicker

Observer
I'm not sure I understand why* the load position in the tube has the effect it does, but operationally I'm finding that it's "important" to pretty much always fill the evo chamber to the top, and tamp it down, or at least make sure a partial load stays tamped down.

its all about the distance between the botanicals and the heat source. millimeters in either direction can have dramatic effects. IMO the Evo only works well when the material is as close to the heat source as it can get. i agree that in the other direction i get much less vapor. the dome screen keeps everything in place nice and neat.

as for stirring... i find that i can fully vape a load with only 1 stir. i usually can get 3 or 4 nice rips and then stir or even dump it and repack... and then tamp it down lightly again push the screen down on top and blast away. ill get another 3 to 4 good hits and then it starts to taper off.

2clicker,

nickb

SSV w/ Standard HC, LSV HC, thermovape all,
Power Adapter for the ThermoVape Vaporizer

Saw this on ebay , any comments,
anybody know what power supply i might need Here is the link and description

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Adapt...153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2a1ca54739
This is an external power adapter for use with the ThermoVape portable vaporizer.
This adapter will allow external access to the contact points normally used by the battery.
The power supply used is the responsibility of the buyer to ensure safety standards and compatible rating are used to match the devices tolerances.
Installing the adapter into the T1 handle is the same as when using the batteries.
Just slide the adapter pig tail first into the handle where the sleeve would normally go pulling the plug through the slotted opening.
Attach the device intended for use and adjust the pigtail such that it slides freely in the handle.
The power connector is a 5.5 mm DC style CCTV type. The actual power supply is the BUYERS responsibility to provide.
Now your device is ready to use as normal without the worry about batteries running down.

The benefits of using this adapter when possible are:

-Never caught off guard with dead batteries.
-Conserves your batteries overall life span.
-Takes weak batteries out of the equation for questionable performance.
-Excellent learning tool for beginners developing their techniques.
-Great hits from the beginning to last pull.
-No waiting for batteries to charge.
-Constant predictable heat ALL the time.

***WARNING***
Improper use of this adapter can cause damage to devices attached to the ThermoVape
To be used only by those with understanding of proper specifications of the device to be used with.
Seller not responsible for any damage cause by this adapter to any attached device.

OF

its all about the distance between the botanicals and the heat source. millimeters in either direction can have dramatic effects. IMO the Evo only works well when the material is as close to the heat source as it can get. i agree that in the other direction i get much less vapor. the dome screen keeps everything in place nice and neat.

You know, I'm watching this with much interest. Along with the bit about using less power without the heat shield. It's not making sense to me yet.

For instance, the above. In a convection system, position doesn't matter. Air is heated somewhere else, doesn't matter where or how, then the hot air does the work. High or low should not make a difference that way. I'm thinking somehow we're getting away from straight convection here.....which can be good or bad or even 'doesn't make a difference' perhaps???

Consider the HA has the load a long way from the heater and like the Evolution gives uniform vaping with no stirring. At least Evolution normally does.....

Interesting. Thanks for the additional 'food for thought'.

OF

as for stirring... i find that i can fully vape a load with only 1 stir. i usually can get 3 or 4 nice rips and then stir or even dump it and repack... and then tamp it down lightly again push the screen down on top and blast away. ill get another 3 to 4 good hits and then it starts to taper off.

What size screen are you using?

TheDudeNextDoor,

2clicker

Observer
What size screen are you using?

well i just trimmed it down and domed it over the end of a pen until it fit. i never cut it any specific size, but from my measurements the Evo core is 11/32" ID.

i run a screen at the cores floor. pushed down all the way to the floor... no space in between it and the actual core floor. basically just to keep small particles from making down into the heater chamber. this screen may or may not help with charring. i havent experienced any charring since my first 2 loads. its a head scratcher because ive tried to get it to char and just cannot, but it seemed to char easily my first 2 attempts with my Evo...:shrug: either way im happy there is no charring.

a note about tamping or packing the load down into the core. i have found that im looking for the tightest pack i can get w/out restricting much airflow. ill press the load down with a medium firmness and then draw on it to make sure its still pulls with little restriction. if its too tight i will stir and re-tamp. if all is well then i put the dome screen on top and push it down until it comes into contact with the top of the load. then just pop on the mouthpiece and start to heat.

so basically its a screen, botanical, screen sandwich that is pushed down as close to the heat as possible.

dude... my guess is that your going to want a dome screen with an 13/32" or 7/16" OD. hope this helps.

2clicker,

OF

dude... my guess is that your going to want a dome screen with an 13/32" or 7/16" OD. hope this helps.

While I'm still not sold on the screen idea, here's how to cut one down to size:

Get a good pair of scissors, we're going to trim the screen with it. We need well supported, solid jaws. The sort you'd use to cut bandages off is ideal. Notice how the blades work, right over left for normal cases, that is the left blade comes up under the right. This means we need to use it 'back handed'.

Now take a too big fine mesh screen and place it over the mouth of the cart and hold it down with one hand (typically the left), I use forefinger on top, thumb and rest on the sides. Now trim off the screen sticking over along one of the 'grain lines', that is you want to cut down a row and past the cart mouth. To do it right, twist the left hand CW around so you can cut at the 6 o'clock position. This puts the top blade over the cart mouth where it's supported while the lower blade slides straight up the cart to do the work. Rotate it and do the same 3 more times, keeping the (now square) bit of screen centered. Then take the four corners off, making a little tiny stop sign. Given the size, this should work just ducky.

You can make it bigger or smaller by shifting it a bit before taking the 3rd and 4th cuts as you go around (or 2nd and 4th if you alternate sides like I usually do). The trick is to use the weave of the mesh to guide the cuts to keep it square to start with. And use the cart mouth to make the measurements for you.

Sorry to use too many technical terms, but that's how the pros do the sizing down bit when nobody's looking.

OF

OF,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I'm slowly getting a handle on this guy. Figured out one of my problems - I was loading WAY too much! After a quick test I realized that by the time I finished loading the Evo little by little, I had around a T1 size bowl in it. Cut that in half about, and bingo. Suddenly it's more predictable and charring less. I'm sure everyone loads it different, but my extended mouthpiece w/ the UFO packs it down quite a bit so it works. This is going fantastic now.

Peloton,
Reactions: t-dub

2clicker

Observer

i should add that you do not want to cut the screen to 7/16" and then dome it. doing so will result in a screen with a smaller OD than the desired 7/16" OD. you want to cut it larger and dome it until it gets to 7/16".

2clicker,

Bart

It's a happy day for vapemail. The package I was told wasn't coming did come. It had everything in it.
Have no idea what's in the second package. Now on to first impressions. After reading this thread I decided to run the evo lv without sleeve using smooth flow tip.
There's definatly a learning curve here. Only one hit with visible vapor but not to worry. Even with no skills or experience and allotta Wondering if it was working. I still managed to lose all powers of cognitive reasoning.
So in a nut shell.
Yes it works. It works well.
Even though I am clueless as to how.
Much field research required. I'm on it.
Thanks for all the info.

Bart,
Two questions:

1) How much resistance are you all going for with the draw? I find I can pack it down fairly well and still get good airflow. I have not found the "sweet spot" yet, though.

2) Am I correct that it's better for my batteries to recharge after each use, or is it better on a typical basis to drain the batteries more before recharging? I find that I get much better results if I use a fresh battery with each new bowl. I CAN get some decent hits on a second round with the battery, but the results are very iffy. For example, I vaped a fresh bowl on a second-round battery and got everything I could from it. I then took the abv from my Evo (it was a yellow-ish green) and loaded it for my CRZ and got another FIVE (!!) good hits from it. I'm thinking a fresh battery is mandatory each load, but will that drain my batteries too fast?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Polmol

I'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but I find it so particular how much people on this forum want to see clouds! To me the real goal is getting vaped, so i don't really care if I don't see "huge clouds".. In fact the main reason I bought the evo is for stealth, so if I can get high without making any noticeable clouds it's gonna be a big plus. :brow:

Can't wait to get it! Goo!

It's a happy day for vapemail. The package I was told wasn't coming did come. It had everything in it.
Have no idea what's in the second package. Now on to first impressions. After reading this thread I decided to run the evo lv without sleeve using smooth flow tip.
There's definatly a learning curve here. Only one hit with visible vapor but not to worry. Even with no skills or experience and allotta Wondering if it was working. I still managed to lose all powers of cognitive reasoning.
So in a nut shell.
Yes it works. It works well.
Even though I am clueless as to how.
Much field research required. I'm on it.
Thanks for all the info.

Oh yeah, definite learning curve. If you read Haywood's post awhile back about the primer hit followed by the full hit, then that is where you want to begin in my opinion. That method more than anything else made a HUGE difference in the hits I was getting. I find it really is the way to go.

First, determine the count needed to get to full throttle on the heating element by watching the coil on a fresh battery and counting. Then you know where to begin.

1) On a fresh load, count to full throttle and then draw slowly for about 1/2 - 3/4 a hit, holding the button up to make contact the entire time. Savor the flavor while continuing to maintain battery contact.

2) Still maintaining battery contact, draw again for a full hit. It works for me to start drawing slowly and then increase my draw through the hit. You can break battery contact just before finishing your hit.

3) When you are ready for another hit, repeat steps 1 and 2, but you only need to "warm up" about 10-20 seconds, depending on how long you waited. I find the primer hit really necessary each time if you wait any longer than 30 seconds or so between the first and second true hits.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but I find it so particular how much people on this forum want to see clouds! To me the real goal is getting vaped, so i don't really care if I don't see "huge clouds".. In fact the main reason I bought the evo is for stealth, so if I can get high without making any noticeable clouds it's gonna be a big plus. :brow:

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It is very hard for me to change patterns and rituals. I am also am a heavy medical user. I go through about an ounce in one week maybe two max. I medicate from the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep for the past 9 years. I tend to medicate every 2 hours or so. I have been one hitting .25/.5 gram bowls out of my 22 inch water pipe for years. I actually had to transition down to a bong that size. I was used to smoking out of a standing 6 foot tall bong with a really long lighter. The clouds to me are a requirement for satisfaction. I find if I don't get that signal with the large cloud I don't feel like I did it right. I will continue to smoke till I get that big hit. I have sat here constantly vaporizing for 4 hours before trying to satisfy myself. It is the sensation of the smoke or vapor expanding in my chest that I signals to my brain that I have medicated.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: t-dub

True and I agree! But there is also something to be said for huge clouds as they equate to major stonage. That's what's cool about tuning this thing in. You can get the huge clouds when you want in order to get blasted quickly, or you can dial back and get the smaller, cloudless hits when you need stealth or to get high more gradually.

You have to admit, though, the huge clouds get you hammered and like fast.

TheDudeNextDoor,

Polmol

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love big clouds too and I get them constantly and immediately with my gn0me classic (Slightly Medicated you should really consider the gn0me, in my opinion no other vape can give you fatter clouds).

I just found it interesting how much people talk about clouds on FC :). And here i am, still talking about them

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love big clouds too and I get them constantly and immediately with my gn0me classic (Slightly Medicated you should really consider the gn0me, in my opinion no other vape can give you fatter clouds).

I just found it interesting how much people talk about clouds on FC :). And here i am, still talking about them

I will add it to my list of vaporizers to test and review. I have been very very very pleased with my VripTech Heat Wand. The ritual is very close to what I am used to. The clouds are pretty substantial as well. I know for me it comes down to needing to adapt my vaporizing to my previous habits because my previous habits are SO SO engrained in my daily rituals.

Even attaching the Evo to my water pipe I have managed to get some pretty satisfying rips out of the device. I think it depends allot of the technique you use in order to achieve the type of hits you want.

Top Bottom