Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

OF

im pretty sure your not getting through a metal detector unnoticed with a T1 on your person

At least. A machine that responds to your zipper will go nuts with 20 times the metal to work wtih. There are guns and knives with way less metal they're looking for, absolutely expect it to be found by TSA and the minimum wage guys at a concert are a crap shoot at best. The advantage there is you're more likely to be let go.....and loose your gear to the nice man....who may have his own stash?

I think it's a bad idea.

OF

OF,

propjoe

ok. i work in a federal building. there are detectors that i go through each morning. but these detectors are kinda weak bullshit. i passed through a metal one hitter once tucked into my underwear. just to test it out. (yeah i guess that was pointless and dumb) and my belt buckle doesn't usually set it off. this isn't the sort of security you find at a court or airport.
i just want to medicate at my job during the day but it's just too risky here.

propjoe,

OF

Your call, but IMO it's thin ice every time. I don't have my T1 here (it's out getting it's picture taken....don't ask....) but making an educated guess from some of the bits I have I'd put it at about 100 grams of metal (80 here without upper body or cap). How much does you buckle or one hitter weigh? Even get 'hand scanned'? They'll find it sure every time that way.

If this was Mission Impossible, and otherwise legal, I'd suggest taking a new (or squeaky clean) T1 'inside' in pieces and stash it there after reassembly. The pieces alone are fairly innocent. Forget schlepping it through security every day? The downside could be ugly indeed.

OF

OF,

propjoe

yeah, downside of it going off would be huge. so i'm not about to do it yet. i might test it out with a part and stick inside of my lunch bag. just a thought.
this building sucks for daytime medication. lol. anyway, thanks for your responses. i'll be joining the TV Evolution club shortly.

propjoe,
How about you clean it spotless and then take it in unloaded to test it. You could carry some smoking tobacco with you, so if it goes off and they find it, show them the tobacco, tell them you're trying to quit smoking, and this device allows you to get full effects with little tobacco. It's like the patch. It helps wean you off cigarettes. Who's to say that's not true?

Then if you get it through easily a few times, you can feel safe.

TheDudeNextDoor,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ok just got my Evo and wanted to put this up. First thing that happened when I was first fiddling with stuff is I hear a distinct "pop" and the adapter interface comes apart. No problem, I see the pins and it seems like it should all go back together, but it wont. On top of that when I put the Evo in there it completely shut off the air flow, so I knew something wasn't right. Turns out the solution is simple, once you know it. Brendan at TV called it the "Pac-Man" procedure and it worked.

1. Using flat surface make sure pins are flush with top of adapter
  2. line up pins with holes
  3. push down so 1 pin goes in a hole, thus leaving a gap, on the other sides, kind of like making a "Pac-man" face with the seam.
  4. Push down on the other side now until you hear the "pop" to complete assembly.
After doing this and making sure all my Delrin parts were aligned properly we are in business. TV said they are making a video to cover this procedure. Cleaning everything now to remove any manufacturing residuals and then testing will begin. :)

Peloton

Vapes Hard
ok just got my Evo and wanted to put this up. First thing that happened when I was first fiddling with stuff is I hear a distinct "pop" and the adapter interface comes apart. No problem, I see the pins and it seems like it should all go back together, but it wont. On top of that when I put the Evo in there it completely shut off the air flow, so I knew something wasn't right. Turns out the solution is simple, once you know it. Brendan at TV called it the "Pac-Man" procedure and it worked.

3. push down so 1 pin goes in a hole, thuslaving a gap, on the other sides, kind of like making a "Pac-man" face with the seem.
  4. Push down until you hear the "pop" to complete assembly.
After doing this and making sure all my Delrin parts were aligned properly we are in business. TV said they are making a video to cover this procedure. Cleaning everything now to remove any manufacturing residuals and then testing will begin. :)

Good work. My adapter came apart once too, it took me more than a couple minutes to figure it out.

I have to admit though, I haven't been using my Evo much the last few days. I keep getting frustrated with inconsistent hits and the bottom of the load getting scorched :\ I have yet to try it with kief though, I'm not giving up on it quite yet.

Peloton,

JoeKickass

I have to admit though, I haven't been using my Evo much the last few days. I keep getting frustrated with inconsistent hits and the bottom of the load getting scorched :\

I scorched the bottom when I packed it in and drew too slow. Try loading it by just letting bits fall from your grinder until its a millimeter or two above full, after heating take long draws at a regular inhaling speed. Basically the more airflow the more even you will vape.

JoeKickass,
Reactions: t-dub

niceone

I got my black Evo LV kit today. (I also ordered extra batteries, mouthpieces, and O-ring sets.)

This thing is awesome! I can't believe how many nice hits I got from the two tiny pinches I put in the bowl. And I didn't feel the need for any more after that. This is not only going to be good for my health, it's going to save me money in the long run, as I won't need to use as much to get properly medicated.

Also, my sensitive, asthmatic roommate cannot smell the hits at all, which is perfect.

I had zero problems getting it to operate to my satisfaction. I went full speed ahead, holding down the battery for about 15 seconds before I started and then keeping it held down pretty much the whole time. The unit did get hot, and I used a cap from one of the battery sleeves to insulate my thumb by the end of it. I had a teeny, tiny bit of black flecks amongst the otherwise evenly-cooked brown plant matter that I shook out of the bowl at the end. I'll go a tiny bit easier on the unit next time.

I'm very, very pleased. Great product, I recommend it highly.

I also appreciate TV's willingness to work with me on the colour switch. They don't always get to their e-mails right away, but they seem like a really good bunch of guys who are serious about providing good customer service.

Thank you, FC posters, for your assistance in making my selection. I am totally satisfied with my purchase because of the help you gave me.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
T-Dub and Peleton: My Evo Interface did the same thing, and it took me a while to figure out how it all fit back together too. Hasn't come apart since.

I was really having a less-than-wonderful time with my Evo. I've had (and love) a T1 since it came out, but its use was becoming annoying enough (top cap holes get clogged way to easily, bowl needs to be stirred, batteries barely keep up, etc) that I wanted to check out the Evo. It came last week. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get anything more than a wispy vapor cloud out of it. It was working, but not well. After completely exhausting a freshly charged set of batteries, the bottom of the load had black flecks, top of the load had lots of good stuff left.

I thought it might be the heat core was being screwed in too far, blocking its intake holes (maybe I didn't put the interface and its switch back properly), or maybe there was too much air leakage coming up the path between the core and the insulating sleeve. But my experiments indicated that neither was the problem. I took the mouthpiece and outer insulating sleeve, held my finger on the bottom, and sucked on the mouthpiece for all I was worth. No air leaks there, maybe the red O-Ring wasn't really sealing? So I put everything together, then unscrewed the "core-insulator sleeve-mouthpiece" section, held my fingers over the four intake holes in the bottom of the core, and again sucked for all I was worth. No air leaks that way either, and removing my fingers from blocking the intake holes allowed me to draw air through the whole thing with no problems.

So I was at a loss. I was beginning to think maybe my core itself just wasn't putting out enough heat, but I was also thinking it was more likely some mistake I was making, rather than a defective core. Contrary to most reports here, my (Std 6v) Evo takes almost 30 seconds from cold to full glow, with fresh batteries, and I knew it wasn't the batteries, because they still worked fine on the T1.

Then I tried this setup:

EvoPic.jpg

OMG! This works so well I can't believe it. Better than the T1. I get four or five HUGE hits from every load. HUGE=Massive vapor clouds with much coughing if I'm not careful. Maybe more importantly, its use is now totally predictable and repeatable. As with the T1, there is a warmup and priming hit necessary from a cold start, then four or five massive hits, then three "normal" hits after that. The ABV is totally even from top to bottom of the load, dark brown, not green or black. I can easily tell if the lack of vapor is due to the batteries getting low or the load being spent. (Hot air = spent load, cold air = spent batteries). So I don't waste precious battery life realizing the problem is the load is played.

About the only down side is that it's really pretty easy to burn yourself on the exposed metal if you're stoned. I left the red O-Ring on to remind myself. And I don't use the insulating heat core cover at all. (I ordered a couple more which I plan on modifying by removing the top section so that the mouthpiece still connects directly to the core, rather than via the insulating sleeve, but the sleeve will still cover the exposed part of the core, maybe saving me from more finger burns).

Oh, and there is another down side. The particulate-in-the-mouth problem. There is no screen or UFO in the air path. If you have a finely ground dry load, you're gonna probably get weed on your tongue. In reasonably small quantities, it doesn't bother me at all, but I know that a lot of people have a bad reaction to it. I tried stuffing a tiny screen just above the load, but it becomes a pain in the ass to deal with, and I swear it effected the flavor. The weed I load is usually not overly dry, and I don't grind it, I crumble it with my fingers. I load the core by "scooping" the crumbled weed out of my hand directly into the top of the core, until the core is full to the top. I very lightly tamp it down with the equivalent of a pencil eraser, maybe 3 or 4mm, just enough to make room for the part of the smooth-flow to fit in without hitting the top of the load. Very lightly is key here. If I pack it down, rather than tamp it lightly, a hernia inducing draw becomes necessary; if I don't tamp it down at all, I get a fair amount of particulate in my mouth. With the kind of weed I get, and a finger crumble rather than a grind, and a very light tamp, I get essentially no particulate and a very easy draw.

I would encourage everyone who has an Evo to try bypassing the insulating sleeve, and give what I picture above a try. I still think I'm probably doing something wrong when I have things setup the normal way, but this works SO much better for me that I wanted to share it.

And I still have no idea why the "normal" way isn't working for me. I try it again every few days, and it produces miserable results every time. Going back to the method above works 100%.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
glad you like it niceone, I am loving having it as my regular vape. I don't go through near as much herb as I was with some of my other vapes.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
@ Haywood, interesting idea, I tried a similar thing with my pureflow, but it was to tight of a draw, and I didn't put the extended mouthpiece on there, so it got really hot fast. I like the idea, and just put mine together this way to test out. Try putting a screen under the mouthpiece, instead of in the bowl, if you don't want to have to mess with it often. Will help some with pull through. I also like the idea of the altared sleeve to slip over it, for safety. :D Whoa, just blew out a huge hit... I do get good results with the cap on, but this is working pretty good too. Gets hot fast.

** so I decided to sacrifice one of my white caps, did a quick job, punched out the center disk, and then cut the top off with some really sharp scissors. Then I opened up the end a little more with a sharp blade, (reminiscent of those gravity bong days when we would cut the hole in the 2 liter cap)

it's a little rough on the edges, but I didn't try that hard... I'm still putting a small screen on top of my load, I just like the way it hits in there, and keeps the herb in the chamber.

khwRZ.jpg

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
@Haywood: Do you think the smooth flow is required in your setup? Have you tried it without it?

Stu,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist

3. push down so 1 pin goes in a hole, thus leaving a gap, on the other sides, kind of like making a "Pac-man" face with the seam.
  4. Push down on the other side now until you hear the "pop" to complete assembly.

I don't follow. Mine have been detached since I got my evo... could there be something wrong with mine?

deadc0ffee,
I would encourage everyone who has an Evo to try bypassing the insulating sleeve, and give what I picture above a try. I still think I'm probably doing something wrong when I have things setup the normal way, but this works SO much better for me that I wanted to share it.

And I still have no idea why the "normal" way isn't working for me. I try it again every few days, and it produces miserable results every time. Going back to the method above works 100%.

I am going to try this because what you describe in the first part of your post is exactly what I have been experiencing. I have been withholding judgement because of others' success stories and the few videos that shows the potential, but nothing I have tried yet has produced those results. I have been getting maybe, MAYBE one semi-decent hit and then a few whisps if that, and my abv varies from green to light brown. And I have had to really work just for that. So far, it's been about like the MFLB for me but more difficult to use.

But some of the evidence here shows me this thing has the potential to do much more. I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong, but I'm going to try your method. Just so happens I bought a smoothflow in order to take advantage of the 25 percent off.

Quick question, how are you preparing and maintaining the smoothflow?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
@Haywood: Do you think the smooth flow is required in your setup? Have you tried it without it?
required is too strong; how about desired.

I think the extra distance from the heater core to your face is really more important, not so much the moisturizing of the vapor. I tried it first with just the standard length TFE mouthpiece. It worked great, but by the third hit I realized that I was just too close to the heat core for my liking. As an experiment, you can try the same thing (just a standard mouthpiece into the top of the core, and nothing else), and if you like it, then you can add a long mouthpiece and even a smooth flow. Just be careful about burning yourself!

I do wonder what the effect of having a metal top to the heat chamber (the smooth flow) as opposed to just a plastic top (mouthpiece of delrin or tfe) has on this. On the one hand, the metal top is more of a mass that the core/airflow has to keep hot, eating battery power and warming your face. On the other hand, it keeps more heat in the top part of the chamber, to keep your load evenly vaped.

:)

(I'll try the long mouthpiece without the smooth flow later and let you know).

By the way, I'm getting really great battery life, at least compared to the T1. Pretty much two full loads (of 4 huge and 3 medium hits each) from a fresh pair of batteries. And a wooden toothpic is an absolute necessity as part of your cleaning kit. Not for the pointy part, which I break off, just to make removing the ABV from the core while it's still hot easy.

Haywood,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
@ Haywood, interesting idea, I tried a similar thing with my pureflow, but it was to tight of a draw, and I didn't put the extended mouthpiece on there, so it got really hot fast. I like the idea, and just put mine together this way to test out. Try putting a screen under the mouthpiece, instead of in the bowl, if you don't want to have to mess with it often. Will help some with pull through. I also like the idea of the altared sleeve to slip over it, for safety. :D Whoa, just blew out a huge hit... I do get good results with the cap on, but this is working pretty good too. Gets hot fast.

** so I decided to sacrifice one of my white caps, did a quick job, punched out the center disk, and then cut the top off with some really sharp scissors. Then I opened up the end a little more with a sharp blade, (reminiscent of those gravity bong days when we would cut the hole in the 2 liter cap)

it's a little rough on the edges, but I didn't try that hard... I'm still putting a small screen on top of my load, I just like the way it hits in there, and keeps the herb in the chamber.

khwRZ.jpg

Very nice job on the insulating sleeve, and exactly what I had in mind! I should be getting my extra sleeves, sans UFOs, tomorrow. (And another a sv evo core, and one of those ridiculously expensive stirrers; ah, memorial day sales). Is that a pureflow or a smoothflow in there?

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts on how this setup works compared to the suggested setup, since the suggested setup seems to be abnormal on my end.

Haywood,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I am going to try this because what you describe in the first part of your post is exactly what I have been experiencing. I have been withholding judgement because of others' success stories and the few videos that shows the potential, but nothing I have tried yet has produced those results. I have been getting maybe, MAYBE one semi-decent hit and then a few whisps if that, and my abv varies from green to light brown. And I have had to really work just for that. So far, it's been about like the MFLB for me but more difficult to use.

But some of the evidence here shows me this thing has the potential to do much more. I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong, but I'm going to try your method. Just so happens I bought a smoothflow in order to take advantage of the 25 percent off.

Quick question, how are you preparing and maintaining the smoothflow?
Overdone answer: I have a little plastic bottle that has a dropper end (a tiny bottle with eye drops for contact lenses wearers) filled with NYC tap water. I drop five drops into the top of the smooth-flow while holding my finger on the bottom hole. I slowly remove my finger to let the water flow. Then I shake out the excess water. To clean it I use a Q-Tip with 99% of the cotton removed from one end. It's the perfect diameter to fit down the center of the smooth-flow. When the smooth-flow gets a bit grungy (I can smell abv on it), I use iso the same way I use water. Five or so drops into the smooth-flow, let it sit for a bit, then let it flow out, and shake it clean. Then I give it ten minutes to evaporate before using it. You can always soak it in iso, and/or put it in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes. I haven't found the need for either (yet).

EDIT: I wanted to add something I forgot to mention that helped me a lot, with both my T1, and with the Evo. Put a fresh set of batteries in your cold evo, don't load it up, and don't put the top on the core. Push the switch, and watch the coils in the core heat up. Count while you're doing this, and keep track of how long it takes before the coils and the chamber are fully glowing orange. When you use your evo (loaded), make sure you hold the switch down for at least this long before you take your first hit. Don't expect much or any vapor from this first hit, and don't let go of the switch. When you take your second (and subsequent) hits, they should prove vaporous. You don't have to hold the switch down the entire time, and you don't need to pre-heat for the full length of time once the evo is warmed up, but it's better to sacrifice battery time due to overuse in the beginning, to learn how your evo core likes to be treated. Once you get that part down, you can figure out how to maximize battery life.

Haywood,

2clicker

Observer
i wanna play too!

i ditched the sleeve. still running the rubber mouthpiece and instead of the core sleeve im currently using oring/s and thinking about trying some high temp tubing to fit tightly around the Evo core. just enough to take the edge off the heat for when its in my pocket.

im not running any filter or smooth flow, but im really liking that its shorter now. im not very interested in adding any length there. the air is dry, but not too bad IMO and i find that for whatever reason my Evo core heats faster and is ready to go quicker than ever. maybe its because the sleeve is not absorbing/stealing heat from it...? seems to be helping me get a little more outta my cells to boot.

oh and my hits have gotten noticeably heavier. im also liking the look a bit better. pretty compact unit that packs a helluva punch.

3238d390.jpg

jambandphan03

in flavor country
i wanna play too!

i ditched the sleeve. still running the rubber mouthpiece and instead of the core sleeve im currently using oring/s and thinking about trying some high temp tubing to fit tightly around the Evo core. just enough to take the edge off the heat for when its in my pocket.

im not running any filter or smooth flow, but im really liking that its shorter now. im not very interested in adding any length there. the air is dry, but not too bad IMO and i find that for whatever reason my Evo core heats faster and is ready to go quicker than ever. maybe its because the sleeve is not absorbing/stealing heat from it...? seems to be helping me get a little more outta my cells to boot.

oh and my hits have gotten noticeably heavier. im also liking the look a bit better. pretty compact unit that packs a helluva punch.

I like that mouthpiece... came from Gman's huh? I have some kinda like that from my 801 ecigs, but they are bigger, and won't fit.

aww too bad they are sold out. :suspicious:

jambandphan03,

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
2clicker: I never considered that having no sleeve at all might be helping things! When I get my extra sleeves tomorrow I'll let you know if it changes things for me. I ordered a glass adapter too, which I thought might make a good mouthpiece for this setup (keeping the heat away).

jam: Can you try it with and without your modified sleeve and see if it makes any difference?

Haywood,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I don't follow. Mine have been detached since I got my evo... could there be something wrong with mine?
Not sure. My interface piece doesn't work correctly unless it is "snapped" together. When the pieces are allowed to be separate, and just rest together, it doesn't work properly. I also had to adjust my pins back down to be flush with the top.

t-dub,

2clicker

Observer
I like that mouthpiece... came from Gman's huh? I have some kinda like that from my 801 ecigs, but they are bigger, and won't fit.

aww too bad they are sold out. :suspicious:

yeah but they are the same as the smoktech ego dual coil cart MPs. not sure if you can buy them individually or not though.

2clicker,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I've switched back and forth a couple of times between using the Evo w/ the sleeve as it came, and putting the smooth flow in line directly, and found that though the hits are a bit larger from the direct connection, the vapor is a bit too harsh for me. The cap seems to help cool it down a bit, and with the smoothflow in the cap, it cools even more. I think I will stick with the cap for now, but it was fun experimenting. :tup:

I did take the stainless screen out of the top of the load, and replaced it with the tiny honeycomb glass screen that AR sent me, and it tastes and flows much better than w/ the stainless. I like this fix, but if I lose the honeycomb, I don't know where to find replacements this tiny. Guess it's time to google search a bit.

jambandphan03,
Top Bottom