Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

EDIT: I wanted to add something I forgot to mention that helped me a lot, with both my T1, and with the Evo. Put a fresh set of batteries in your cold evo, don't load it up, and don't put the top on the core. Push the switch, and watch the coils in the core heat up. Count while you're doing this, and keep track of how long it takes before the coils and the chamber are fully glowing orange. When you use your evo (loaded), make sure you hold the switch down for at least this long before you take your first hit. Don't expect much or any vapor from this first hit, and don't let go of the switch. When you take your second (and subsequent) hits, they should prove vaporous. You don't have to hold the switch down the entire time, and you don't need to pre-heat for the full length of time once the evo is warmed up, but it's better to sacrifice battery time due to overuse in the beginning, to learn how your evo core likes to be treated. Once you get that part down, you can figure out how to maximize battery life.

Holy cow, Haywood, you just completey altered my perception of this vape. I tried your method of warming up for the first "primer" hit and then keeping the slider on through the second hit, and I got a HUGE hit, about busted my lungs it was so powerful. This is well beyond anything I've been able to get thus far. It also gave me an instantaneous head rush from the size of the hit. Very nice.

I wondered how it would work using the same method with the cover, so I popped in a fresh battery with a fresh chamber and ran the same method. The results were definitely better than what I had been getting, but not as strong as what I got without the cover.

Just to be sure, I tried another fresh chamber but on the same battery this time without the cover, and I got a huge hit on the second draw again, much heavier than with the cover on, and this was on a partially drained battery. So there definitely does seem to be some loss with the cover, I guess still some air leakage even with the o-ring? Man, the sucker does get hot, though, and I was also getting some particulate through the stem. Maybe too fine a grind, though.

You have definitely given me a lot to play with here, though. Thank you!

TheDudeNextDoor,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
alright, put the smoothflow into the Evo chamber, took out the extended derlin mouthpiece, stuck my AquaVape (attached to shortie mouthpiece) took a rip, and man, did it cloud up the AV. Good way to cool it off too :tup: I am having a bit of fun :haw: I've been running the 3.7v so far tonight, I think I will try the 6v now without the sleeve.

Ok, 6v was even better, fast warm up, big hit right away. Now I'm taking off the AV, and putting the TVglass adapter on the top of the smoothflow which is acting as a connecting piece, and a buffer from the direct heat of the chamber. Gonna hook it to the bubbler. :science:

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bluntcrush
http://smokinjs.com/store/product/3220/Honeycomb-Hand-Blown-Glass-Screen-2-Pack/

Hey Jam, maybe I'll give these guys a call and ask for a measurement. There the only one I've found in stock. The two I found at a LHS, measure 1/4" and have a little extra room. I think 5/16" or less will work. 5/16" is really close, Im pretty sure it'll work, but not for sure. I was looking to stock up myself, these little buggers are small and likely to be lost. I'm also going to.see if any larger ones are available for the solo(ID&OD of stem would be handy. Brothers with Glass also sell them, but are out of stock.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
cool, havealight, I saw those too, there was no mention of size, please let me know what you find out. I went fishing in the AR thread, hoping somebody there might know something, worth a shot. I wouldn't mind having those for the Solo stem too.

jambandphan03,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I have noticed this thread is one where it is much more descriptive than visual, i think it has to do with the fact that the most often video shooters at FC hang out in other threads..:)

Since i, like others am a visual kind of guy, i wonder if anyone care to make a quick, 1-2 hit video with/without the cover for example? In the name of science of course. :science:

vorrange,
I'd also love some videos of the Evo in action, especially with the technique Haywood suggested. If I can get lung busting hits then I can def look past having to carry a few extra sets of batteries. Also the sans-sleeve approach positively effecting performance for some is very intriguing. I need to check out this thread more.

Those glass screens are seriously nifty, I've never seen anything quite like them before - it says hand made glass but I think they might be put out by a machine.

large-GShon.jpg

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Those glass screens are seriously nifty, I've never seen anything quite like them before

You could use a small "fritted" disk as well.

Evolution first impressions: Incredible flavor. I put my favorite flavor strain "Uno" in and keeping everyone's advice in mind, I let the heat build up. After I was able to pull a couple amazing tasting test puffs :drool: I then proceeded to "honk" on it. Nice cloud, great flavor. First thing I found is the Evo likes to be packed, I got better results when it was full and packed in just a smidgen. Very happy so far, more to come :)

Correct my thinking if I'm wrong, but is the teflon sleeve soaking up heat that should just be going into the herb chamber? Are you guys finding that the battery life is better as well as the performance?

Maybe some hemp or leather cord wrapped around the hot section of the Evo would protect your hands without soaking up the same degree of heat. Snappys did somethign similar with his Phytolab in this photo.

XOXOF.jpg

Haha, loved the CSNY Jamband

ManicMaurice

Correct my thinking if I'm wrong, but is the teflon sleeve soaking up heat that should just be going into the herb chamber? Are you guys finding that the battery life is better as well as the performance?

I was thinking something along the same lines, but instead of the teflon sleeve being the heat sink I was worried about, I was noticing that my Silver Bullet was getting exceptionally warm. That's a pretty big hunk of metal and it does a very good job of wicking the heat away from the heater core. So to help solve this issue, I picked up a 510 to 510 extension adapter to help isolate the heater core from my mod and hopefully keep more of the heat where it is supposed to be.

This is the one I'm using ...
http://www.madvapes.com/510-Battery-Extension-_p_2870.html

But this one should work too, and is even longer than the adapter I have.
http://www.madvapes.com/Gripper-510-Extension_p_3703.html

I was also thinking that one of these 510 goose neck adpaters might work too.
https://www.ttteliquids.com/Shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=28

Thoughts?

ManicMaurice,

2clicker

Observer
I was thinking something along the same lines, but instead of the teflon sleeve being the heat sink I was worried about, I was noticing that my Silver Bullet was getting exceptionally warm. That's a pretty big hunk of metal and it does a very good job of wicking the heat away from the heater core. So to help solve this issue, I picked up a 510 to 510 extension adapter to help isolate the heater core from my mod and hopefully keep more of the heat where it is supposed to be.

Thoughts?

try running your Evo w/out the core sleeve. IMO it allows for faster warm up and hits which in turn allows less "on" time with the switch. and that means that your SB wont get as hot. at least that is how my TV base is working now.

the extension may work a bit, but im no fan of making the setup any longer than it has to be.

2clicker,

OF

I think that's exactly backwards. Delrin is a pretty good insulator, it slows the heat loss. Things get hotter inside for the same energy input same as more blankets make the sleeper warmer. There's a whole host of fancy terms used in this stuff, but that's the short of it. Heat 'flows' from hot to cold, there's no intelligence or direction going on, just flow to a lower level. Think of it as pressure building up as a pump works against leaks. Insulation slows the leaks, just like it does in your house.

In broad terms, things which conduct electricity well also conduct heat well....Delrin is a great (electrical) insulator.

All else being equal (which of course it seldom is) removing the cover will eat up the batteries a bit faster. Not that it shouldn't be tried (I'm sure TV did before 'inventing' the cover), but it's intent was as a heat shield and insulator as I understand it?

OF

OF,
Reactions: darkrom

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
T-Dub and Peleton: My Evo Interface did the same thing, and it took me a while to figure out how it all fit back together too. Hasn't come apart since.

I was really having a less-than-wonderful time with my Evo. I've had (and love) a T1 since it came out, but its use was becoming annoying enough (top cap holes get clogged way to easily, bowl needs to be stirred, batteries barely keep up, etc) that I wanted to check out the Evo. It came last week. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get anything more than a wispy vapor cloud out of it. It was working, but not well. After completely exhausting a freshly charged set of batteries, the bottom of the load had black flecks, top of the load had lots of good stuff left.

I thought it might be the heat core was being screwed in too far, blocking its intake holes (maybe I didn't put the interface and its switch back properly), or maybe there was too much air leakage coming up the path between the core and the insulating sleeve. But my experiments indicated that neither was the problem. I took the mouthpiece and outer insulating sleeve, held my finger on the bottom, and sucked on the mouthpiece for all I was worth. No air leaks there, maybe the red O-Ring wasn't really sealing? So I put everything together, then unscrewed the "core-insulator sleeve-mouthpiece" section, held my fingers over the four intake holes in the bottom of the core, and again sucked for all I was worth. No air leaks that way either, and removing my fingers from blocking the intake holes allowed me to draw air through the whole thing with no problems.

So I was at a loss. I was beginning to think maybe my core itself just wasn't putting out enough heat, but I was also thinking it was more likely some mistake I was making, rather than a defective core. Contrary to most reports here, my (Std 6v) Evo takes almost 30 seconds from cold to full glow, with fresh batteries, and I knew it wasn't the batteries, because they still worked fine on the T1.

Then I tried this setup:

EvoPic.jpg

OMG! This works so well I can't believe it. Better than the T1. I get four or five HUGE hits from every load. HUGE=Massive vapor clouds with much coughing if I'm not careful. Maybe more importantly, its use is now totally predictable and repeatable. As with the T1, there is a warmup and priming hit necessary from a cold start, then four or five massive hits, then three "normal" hits after that. The ABV is totally even from top to bottom of the load, dark brown, not green or black. I can easily tell if the lack of vapor is due to the batteries getting low or the load being spent. (Hot air = spent load, cold air = spent batteries). So I don't waste precious battery life realizing the problem is the load is played.

About the only down side is that it's really pretty easy to burn yourself on the exposed metal if you're stoned. I left the red O-Ring on to remind myself. And I don't use the insulating heat core cover at all. (I ordered a couple more which I plan on modifying by removing the top section so that the mouthpiece still connects directly to the core, rather than via the insulating sleeve, but the sleeve will still cover the exposed part of the core, maybe saving me from more finger burns).

Oh, and there is another down side. The particulate-in-the-mouth problem. There is no screen or UFO in the air path. If you have a finely ground dry load, you're gonna probably get weed on your tongue. In reasonably small quantities, it doesn't bother me at all, but I know that a lot of people have a bad reaction to it. I tried stuffing a tiny screen just above the load, but it becomes a pain in the ass to deal with, and I swear it effected the flavor. The weed I load is usually not overly dry, and I don't grind it, I crumble it with my fingers. I load the core by "scooping" the crumbled weed out of my hand directly into the top of the core, until the core is full to the top. I very lightly tamp it down with the equivalent of a pencil eraser, maybe 3 or 4mm, just enough to make room for the part of the smooth-flow to fit in without hitting the top of the load. Very lightly is key here. If I pack it down, rather than tamp it lightly, a hernia inducing draw becomes necessary; if I don't tamp it down at all, I get a fair amount of particulate in my mouth. With the kind of weed I get, and a finger crumble rather than a grind, and a very light tamp, I get essentially no particulate and a very easy draw.

I would encourage everyone who has an Evo to try bypassing the insulating sleeve, and give what I picture above a try. I still think I'm probably doing something wrong when I have things setup the normal way, but this works SO much better for me that I wanted to share it.

And I still have no idea why the "normal" way isn't working for me. I try it again every few days, and it produces miserable results every time. Going back to the method above works 100%.

To solve one of those "down sides" you could do a little bit of Frankenstein, i just came up with this after reading your post.

The ID of the insulator cap where the "UFO" goes is the same ID as a standard mouthpiece, this means that you can press a UFO into a mouthpiece and it will act like a removable screen/deflector.....

UFOmouthpiece.jpg

This will be a future addition to our online shop, till then just get the UFO and it doesnt take much to push it into a mouthpiece (only a 1/2 ton arbor press :-/ ) . This should take care of any particulates in your mouth.

Cheers,
Tim

There's one in the top of your Delrin cover. I assume you poke it out from above?

OF

Ah, okay. I was able to pop it out of the cover easily, not so easy to press it into the mouthpiece. Tim, how much did you have to force it?

Edit: I have much more experimenting to do, but I am consistently getting better hits when I remove the Delrin cover. Another thing that I wanted to see if anybody else is experiencing: When I draw on my Evo with the cover on, I often start feeling like my lungs aren't getting enough oxygen. You know when you suck for an extended period through a small straw how you start feeling like you can't breathe? That's the effect I am getting. I often have to stop mid-hit and take in some breath just to avoid the discomfort. Oddly, I have not yet had that happen when I don't have the cover on. Does that make any sense at all? Is anybody else experiencing this?

TheDudeNextDoor,

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Ah, okay. I was able to pop it out of the cover easily, not so easy to press it into the mouthpiece. Tim, how much did you have to force it?

It depends on the material, if its a PTFE mouthpiece its easy, The delrin will take some force (i use a little 1/2-ton arbor press), the metal mouthpiece will require a larger arbor press.

I probably should have said you'll need an arbor press with the picture... :/

Tim

SameOldTim,
It depends on the material, if its a PTFE mouthpiece its easy, The delrin will take some force (i use a little 1/2-ton arbor press), the metal mouthpiece will require a larger arbor press.

I probably should have said you'll need an arbor press with the picture... :/

Tim

You will have to forgive my noobiness. PTFE? I have the mouthpiece that came with my Evo, so is that PTFE?

I was able to press the UFO in and out of my Delrin easily using the blunt end of a skewer stick. Now pressing it into the back-end of the mouthpiece? ... not so much.

TheDudeNextDoor,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
So I already punched out the "ufo" from my white sleeve that I cut the top off of. I can't get it into the mouth piece though. I'll save that for another day. I left the glass adapter hooked up to my smoothflow/evo from making that video late last night, and woke up this a.m. and decided to hit it as is, using the glass adapter as a mouth piece, and it is giving me really nice hits. Looks funny though. I do like using it with out the sleeve for water pipe use. Seems to be much more productive this way, and I am getting pretty big hits from it now. I'll be gone this weekend, going to a hotspring resort for gathering of the peace makers. Going to be bringing some of my toys, they are 420 friendly there!! Hopefully I'll recruit a few people into wanting a TV. Luckily we are taking our little Scamp trailer, and should have elec. so I can recharge batteries. Leaving tomorrow, so I'll have to play catch up next week on the forum.

So, it dawned on me to use pliers to put the "ufo" into the bottom of the shortie mouthpiece, and sure enough, once I got it all lined up, and gave it a squeeze, it went right in. Then I popped it into my Dart, using the ultralite battery, and it offers an interesting restriction of airflow, at least mine does. I got a good vapor hit from the Dart. I might need to clean the "ufo" it was gooey from using it in the white cap, I even put it in my T1 to vape some of the oil build up it had on it. Doesn't seem to be clogged when I blow air through the mouthpiece/disk alone. Must be the way the "ufo" seats down into the dart that stiffens the airflow, but it isn't causing any problems, in fact it reminds me of how the pureflow works to some extent, minus the moisture cooling part.

just put it on my smoothflow/evo, and if I push it all the way in, it restricts the air too much, but if I pull it out just a mm or so, it gives good airflow. The "ufo" disk itself isn't moving, just how deep the mouthpiece is going into the top of the dart/smoothflow top. They look identical. I definitely like the way the Dart is hitting with the "ufo" mouthpiece combo.

BlCVw.jpg

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Darkrom, you don't need the adapter interface, but I think it makes it look nicer.
:2c:

Stu,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Hmmm I'm trying to cut costs so I will probably pass and go with ugly for now as long as it doesn't effect me using it as a waterpipe adapter.

I don't get how it will connect to my T1 without the adapter. I'm just trying to be sure I know what I'm getting before I order.

darkrom,

1love

I have a T1 (not LV) and I have an evolution but no interface. If I order the liquid vaporizer kit can I use the interface that comes with that with my revolution?

1love,
Top Bottom