Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Sonics420

I had this big long post going, and then the forum went nuts and I lost it. Basic gist of it:

Try pre-warming your LL bowl empty, then pack it and take a draw. Clouds are much thicker. Apologies to anyone who may have mentioned this already.
I've found this works the best, it also keeps your mouth piece and cap pretty cool if you preheat without it on.. makes for easier handling with back to back sessions. That thermal condom is really a life saver lol, its almost a must and should be shipped with every Cera.
I must say, it is nice to not have the burnt odor and nasty ash mess any more. One problem that I am having it knowing when the load is 'done'.... any help with that?

I was concerned about dropping so much on a device, especially my first one, but I think that the pure pleasure of the results and the top notch quality make it totally worth it.
Your done when your vapor is done.. or your material is evenly browned. You are right though the flavor on the Cera seems to never get "pop corny", its almost smooth through out..

OF

I must say, it is nice to not have the burnt odor and nasty ash mess any more. One problem that I am having it knowing when the load is 'done'.... any help with that?

First off, howdy, welcome to the Forum.....and congrats on a great choice. As a 'first vape' this will no doubt spoil you but will also save you a lot of money in the long run.....which you can use to buy drugs now.

At first it's hard to do. Eventually you learn to look for 'burnt popcorn taste' starting to happen. For now, try going by color. You want all the green made brown. How dark a brown is your call, but some push it past tobacco color into ground coffee land. You can also get a cheap microscope (about 30x) and watch the trichomes collapse. In broad terms is you see vapor coming out and it doesn't taste like burnt popcorn you're probably still getting some THC.

Lots of guys stop before it's all gone and save the AVB for emergencies or cooking. The 'active stuff' left tends to be different in effect (more 'body' than 'head') at that point. The delta prime THC most crave comes off early, just as the flavor is starting to fade.

OF

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
my LL cart seems to have stopped working. I was pre warming it and the glow was really nice, I could even see it glowing through the ceramic on teh cart(not sure if this was normal) I took one puff and got instant vapor but after that it wont even warm up now.

I have multiple batteries to test and it still doesnt work

ThermoCarloTV

Thermo Essence Technologies
Company Rep
my LL cart seems to have stopped working. I was pre warming it and the glow was really nice, I could even see it glowing through the ceramic on teh cart(not sure if this was normal) I took one puff and got instant vapor but after that it wont even warm up now.

I have multiple batteries to test and it still doesnt work

Skeena,

If you haven't sent an e-mail to us regarding this problem yet, send one to info@thermovape.com.

that goes for anyone else looking for help troubleshooting their Cera, as well. It'll help us immensely if you use the same e-mail you listed when you ordered your Cera, as well as adding your FC username somewhere in the e-mail, though its not necessary.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Ok ... been enjoying my EO cart :) ... it medicates really well and quickly but I have a few questions ....

It plugs solid when not heated (no airflow) ... is this normal? (once preheated a little and vapor begins to flow airflow also opens a little ... a very small little) Before it unplugs there is ZERO airflow and once it unplugs it has extremely restricted airflow but works very well.

I'm also curious about storage ... I have it loaded with an oil that runs slowly at room temperature ... ie. if I was to lay a half full vial down sideways it would probably take a good 15+ minutes for it to spread down to the side from the bottom (to give you a picture of the consistency of the oil) ... Can I store the cart on it's side? Upside down? Will oil flow out of it or remained trapped in there? (Just curious what everyone's experience/recommendations are)

JCat,
Reactions: ogcook

OF

It plugs solid when not heated (no airflow) ... is this normal? (once preheated a little and vapor begins to flow airflow also opens a little ... a very small little) Before it unplugs there is ZERO airflow and once it unplugs it has extremely restricted airflow but works very well.

Can I store the cart on it's side? Upside down? Will oil flow out of it or remained trapped in there? (Just curious what everyone's experience/recommendations are)

Depending on the concentrate and load level it's pretty common. One of my two oil carts is doing it right now, I have the same oil in both, the difference is the level.

If the load is completely absorbed into the ceramic there are no plugs or leaks but guys tend to go a little past that (some a lot....). I don't worry about storage, but if I know I'm on the heavy side (it will plug easily) I usually lay it on it's side.

Airflow is restricted as in all TV oil carts. It's part of the design, not a flaw. As you note, when used as designed it works very well indeed.

My advice is to enjoy it. Over time you'll refine your technique but even poor technique can work pretty well doncha think?

OF

OF,

ThermoCarloTV

Thermo Essence Technologies
Company Rep
Ok ... been enjoying my EO cart :) ... it medicates really well and quickly but I have a few questions ....

I'm also curious about storage ... I have it loaded with an oil that runs slowly at room temperature ... ie. if I was to lay a half full vial down sideways it would probably take a good 15+ minutes for it to spread down to the side from the bottom (to give you a picture of the consistency of the oil) ... Can I store the cart on it's side? Upside down? Will oil flow out of it or remained trapped in there? (Just curious what everyone's experience/recommendations are)

Although its not necessary to do this at all, it is best practice to store your Cera vertically (switch facing down) to prevent oil solidifying right under the mouthpiece. Its not a huge deal if this happens, however, since when you heat the oils again, it will melt back down.

ThermoCarloTV,
Reactions: hektik8625

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
Sonics image illustrates how a little finesse priming and loading the cart goes a long way to help keep things maintained. If you jam it full, cap it and let her rip it is going to always end up a huge mess like that, all over the interior mouthpiece deflector face and running to the sidewalls and up to the first grommet interface point.

This is fine if you don't need to swap carts, or if you are sitting around your place and have all day to fox with it, but if not than everything gets cross contaminated and kind of frustrating really quickly. I have found a HE TI dabber works perfectly to manipulate the material as it transitions to a slightly viscous state, basically jogging it up and down onto the ceramic as you alternately pulse the power on and off every five seconds. In this way it seems that you can keep loading smaller fresh chunks until it reaches a certain point where it won't accept more. Scrape the sidewalls and everything not below the ceramic back out, then dab it after all that hard work, because technically it has been altered - although it's not scrap by any means you probably don't want it back in the same container :lol:

I have found this method vastly superior to loading a single chunk, capping the unit and blowing backwards through the core in short puffs as it heats up. This "works" but effectively every time I've tried, the material that has been heated the most is blown out the bottom of the cartridge as the new stuff is forced in, making it more of a waste and a hassle than a good technique for me.

Back to a freshly loaded, chilled or "relaxed" room temp core that is plugged solid, leading me to Jcats question and tying into to my experiential understanding of why the cap/interior gets so messy...

Yep, I have found that when fully or appropriately loaded to decent capacity you need to pull constantly and slightly enough to "force" an air hole during this initial warmup. If you don't the generated vapor has a harder time of escaping and I think basically stews in its own brew for too long, helping to spread a little bit of wasted heat all around before violently bubbling to the surface. At any point in time you can watch a loaded cart of shatter, wax, whatever consistency you can find - load it till the ceramic is saturated and covered - and without any "aid" to break the bubble it will rise through the entire core chamber until it pops against the surface of the interior mouthpiece face. You only have to take the cap off and watch this happen once to assume that it probably is likely to occur any time it "seals over" like that.

So, I always make sure the "first" hit from cold forces a little channel through there and I have found it helps immensely and can even be passed off to others who can draw without thought or negative consequence as its warmed up at that point. It still bubbles and spurts up the sides on its own but in very small chunks it seems, and it takes much, much longer to accumulate and basically never gets too gummy, although I am constantly cleaning the exposed surfaces of the core and mouthpieces every time I exchange with a little alcohol on a paper towel just because.

If the concentrate is that viscous at room temperature than I would not keep the cart at anything but vertical in the container it arrived in. Add some heat from your body or sitting in a hot car and it's going everywhere with the quickness.

I would still prefer another short sleeve and another mouthpiece, to keep the cores as their own separate "assemblies" that thread in and out, but alas at this point the reality is you might as well buy another SS body at full price for that functionality. I understand the mouthpiece machining must be a significantly higher defect rate relative to the other purely cylindrical parts, but without the cap sleeve I can't even consider buying another one at $50 regardless.

Also I need either my memory jogged or some refreshers on any ideas that have arrived for diversionary concealment like that flashlight head mentioned way back. Functional would be great but at the end of the day I think something is better than nothing and I've got a whole lot of nothing in that department.

Experimenting with some black non adhesive shrink tubing today :tinfoil:

OF

I have found this method vastly superior to loading a single chunk, capping the unit and blowing backwards through the core in short puffs as it heats up.

Yep, I have found that when fully or appropriately loaded to decent capacity you need to pull constantly and slightly enough to "force" an air hole during this initial warmup. If you don't the generated vapor has a harder time of escaping and I think basically stews in its own brew for too long, helping to spread a little bit of wasted heat all around before violently bubbling to the surface.

Some good thoughts in there for sure. On the first one above, I completely agree. Blowing backwards into the core for any reason is asking for troubles IMO. You should not do that under normal conditions. The idea is to completely melt the load into the ceramic before you start hitting it. Keep the cap off until that is done.

On the second point I think we disagree on what "fully or appropriately loaded to decent capacity" is. IMO the right load is not so much that this happens. There should be no excess oil in places other than the reservoir. That's where leaks come from, where the oil that sits and cooks and spoils the taste is kept, and where we can waste extra heat trying to melt but never actually ever vaporize so slow the action down. All negatives IMO. Unless you want more leaks, burnt oil taste and slower action. This is a big DART. The same rules apply only scaled. "Load small and often" becomes 'load more and less often'. Not 'fill it up and deal with it'.

That said I do know guys who pack it in, but they're experts and already understand about heating it up in stages to keep it under control. That, I think, is a skill best honed from the low end.....work your way up to that kind of stuff if you want to but don't expect to just bung it in and have it happen the way you think it should?

OF

nickzzzx

When you get a airflow clog, isn't that a good indicator that you have overfilled?
I like to keep my CEO's porous ceramic nice and saturated, but I don't like its performance when it's overfilled and I have to preheat to unclog it. Also, when you overfill, your oil is going through more heat cycles, which degrades the flavor.
The best method I have found so far is to keep it topped off. When I notice that the vapor production isn't very good, I'll add about a .1-.2, basically huge dab worth.

VapeAttic

First off, I want to apologize because the question I'm going to asked has been asked numerous times but cannot find the page so please bear with me. I'm not familiar with battery terminology but I am trying to get accustomed to it. I just received a few Panasonic CGR18650CH 3.6V Li-ion batteries. My question is if I can use these batteries for the Cera and also charge these batteries from the charger that TET provides. These batteries I purchased are made in Japan but I don't know if its protected or not and if its flat top, button top..ect. Thank you in advance to answering this question

VapeAttic,

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
First off, I want to apologize because the question I'm going to asked has been asked numerous times but cannot find the page so please bear with me. I'm not familiar with battery terminology but I am trying to get accustomed to it. I just received a few Panasonic CGR18650CH 3.6V Li-ion batteries. My question is if I can use these batteries for the Cera and also charge these batteries from the charger that TET provides. These batteries I purchased are made in Japan but I don't know if its protected or not and if its flat top, button top..ect. Thank you in advance to answering this question
Those'll work great, they'll go in the TET charger just fine. They're probably unprotected, which is what you want, and it doesn't matter if it's flat or button top. Happy vaping!

Here's a great post by Haywood on that battery.

nopartofme,

OF

Those'll work great, they'll go in the TET charger just fine. They're probably unprotected, which is what you want, and it doesn't matter if it's flat or button top. Happy vaping!

Here's a great post by Haywood on that battery.

They not only work great they were the number one choice, the one TV initially shipped. It was only when supplies of that exact battery (single source, only one maker) got unstable they went to the (basically as good) alternative.

Tasty choice. Many of us are stocking up on them, they're that good.

OF

OF,

YeeeBuddy

Just had a nice first sesh of the day with my cera LL, again i am very impressed at how medicated I am getting off such little herbs. Makes me realize how inefficient combusting is, I'm vaping probably half the amount i would combust and getting damn near the same effects, awesome.

Edit: as much as i hated on TV for not doing a latching switch i can see why they didnt, this thing gets hot as hell, not a good combo for forgetful stoners.

skesseks

Has anyone considered adapting a 4 to 5 volt power supply to the cera? It doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to do. The one thing i can this is at about 4 volts you need about 3-4 amps to the wattage to make the thing glow. One possible way around this is to up the volts and lower the amps.
Can someone point out why 9 volts at 1.5 amps (15 watts) would not work to replace 4 volts at 3 amps (12 watts) ?

oh, and I would NOT work around the momentary switch on the base cap.

skesseks,

kevin

Dwpvasn.jpg

Been stockin up most my melts for this day.. of course with a dab here and there lol.
EO is a hitter!

How long are your warmup times when you load wax like that, and how hot does Cera get?

Kevin

kevin,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Has anyone considered adapting a 4 to 5 volt power supply to the cera? It doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to do. The one thing i can this is at about 4 volts you need about 3-4 amps to the wattage to make the thing glow. One possible way around this is to up the volts and lower the amps.
Can someone point out why 9 volts at 1.5 amps (15 watts) would not work to replace 4 volts at 3 amps (12 watts) ?

oh, and I would NOT work around the momentary switch on the base cap.
You have the right idea here in getting a more common supply usable for the Cera.

However, unfortunately ohms law will not work as easy as you are hoping. There are two equations to get the numbers in perspective.

1/ I (Amps)= V (Voltage) / R (Ohms) or I=V/R therefore V=IR & R=V/I

2/ P (Watts)=V (Voltage) X I (Amps) or P=VI therefore V=P/I & I=P/V

We know the resistance and rated running power only. If running on 3.7 volts then one can fill in the other numbers. You will find out that the load (ohms) determines the current (amps) with any given voltage and ends up with the wattage. If increasing the voltage the amperage will increase along with the wattage.

Lots of fun finding other ways though.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog

And how exactly do you plan on lowering the current (the amps)? The constants here are the resistance of the core and the desired wattage to get the core producing the desired heat. If you figure that the design was to draw (for example) 15 watts, and the battery nominally supplies 3.7 volts, then the core resistance is going to be 0.91 ohms. So TET winds a core with ~0.91 ohms and when you hook up the ~3.7 volt battery, it delivers ~4.0 amp, which is 15 watts.

If you don't change the core resistance, and you supply 9 volts, at 0.91 ohms the core will draw ~9.9 amps, which is, hold your hats, ~90 watts. This will burn out your core in the blink of an eye. For a 9 volt source to supply the core with 15 watts of power would require Tim to rewind your core to have a resistance of ~5.4 ohms, which he can't do, as there isn't enough room in the core for that much wire.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Quick question again about the EO cart loading then ... I loaded .3g or so initially as per instructions ... but maybe that was too much since it clogs? Now that it's clogging what's the solution ... just keep using it until it unclogs or should I store the cart on it's side? Any other suggestions? (It does work well it just feels like my cheeks are going to implode until I get it to clear and I'm not a heavy oil consumer so after a few hits and I've just got it unclogged I'm done!)

JCat,
Reactions: OF

Sonics420

I havent ran into any clogging yet. Are you sure the inlets on the mouth piece arent clogged? Sometimes oil can build up in there. Make sure you give the cart enough heat for the oil to drip. I think i am getting a hang of it since i cleaned my mouthpiece oil hasnt gotten up there.. inhale slowly til you feel something hit the back of your throat..

My crumble wax took about 15 seconds to melt in..10 more seconds im milking my bongs.

JCat, that doesn't sound right. I've had 2 carts(eo and el) and neither made my cheeks hurt, but both have/had some restriction, but not as much as your saying. .4 loaded and no clogging for me just massive clouds..3 is nearly running empty. Hit Zeki and co up. It seems your bottom may be pressed to far in the core thus blocking the intake.
Best of luck.

skesseks

And how exactly do you plan on lowering the current (the amps)? The constants here are the resistance of the core and the desired wattage to get the core producing the desired heat. If you figure that the design was to draw (for example) 15 watts, and the battery nominally supplies 3.7 volts, then the core resistance is going to be 0.91 ohms. So TET winds a core with ~0.91 ohms and when you hook up the ~3.7 volt battery, it delivers ~4.0 amp, which is 15 watts.

If you don't change the core resistance, and you supply 9 volts, at 0.91 ohms the core will draw ~9.9 amps, which is, hold your hats, ~90 watts. This will burn out your core in the blink of an eye. For a 9 volt source to supply the core with 15 watts of power would require Tim to rewind your core to have a resistance of ~5.4 ohms, which he can't do, as there isn't enough room in the core for that much wire.

I have to admit ignorance in the matter of ohms. I thought I understood it in terms of watts, volts and amps. But that ohms thing....
~3.7 volts then. At ~4 amps.

An interesting power supply problem...

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
I have to admit ignorance in the matter of ohms. I thought I understood it in terms of watts, volts and amps. But that ohms thing....
~3.7 volts then. At ~4 amps.

An interesting power supply problem...
Ah, this is right up Pipe's alley. He designed and made some AC power supplies for the T1, before TET did.

OF

Quick question again about the EO cart loading then ... I loaded .3g or so initially as per instructions ... but maybe that was too much since it clogs? Now that it's clogging what's the solution ... just keep using it until it unclogs or should I store the cart on it's side?

Hard to say from here, but .3 should be fine and should fully absorb if the heat was right rather than fun past to the vents. It seems like that didn't happen?

I'd suggest storing it nose down a bit, say 20 degrees or so, maybe even 30? See if you can get the melted oil to pool up higher in the cart rather than at the vents? Assuming that's where the plug is....

OF

OF,
Reactions: Pipes

ogcook

Any other suggestions?

I first got over zealous with my loading and had a clog like this even when warmed up. I tried to run it as dry as possible and if possible upside down to help gravity and the air work its magic. If this isn't working, I also took the O-rings off and hit the inlet area with my torch for a short bit to try and get things melting. Next time load a bit slower, I'm still trying to get a handle on this thing too! :science:

ogcook,
Reactions: OF
Top Bottom