Discontinued Thermovape Cera

GR

A sleeve that the stock Cera slides into and has a slide lever that can press the stock switch might be a great solution for many.

Edit: a follow up from my last cleaning when dark sludge bubbled up after first fill after cleaning. I loaded approximately 1.5g over a few days with only light colored reclaim then black sludge. I heated and wiped sludge away until no more bubbled out, about .1g came out. I then vaped the remaining down to an almost dry ceramic and loaded a new oil. Full flavor of the new oil, I am finding this sludge bubble out to be a the easiest clean out and less wasteful then a full clean. The next step is to see how long this works before a full clean is needed, it has already kept me from 1!

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
Yeah I've just had my second flat top switch die, back to foil... at this point I am also dreaming up mechanical solutions but frankly don't have any time. Would be nice to see progress on the mini soon... at this point it would be a welcome version two interface, as it's clear the cores (aside from the EL) are operating as intended.

Cheerful Dub,
Reactions: Tom Funk

NothingToSeeHere

Accessory Maker
Yeah I've just had my second flat top switch die, back to foil... at this point I am also dreaming up mechanical solutions but frankly don't have any time. Would be nice to see progress on the mini soon... at this point it would be a welcome version two interface, as it's clear the cores (aside from the EL) are operating as intended.
I have a RFQ out to some local stainless steel fabricators. If it's economical I will have them make me a custom mechanical switch. Here's what I'm thinking:
vUlSkXL.jpg

I will not be selling these though...way too much liability!

druminfected

I have a RFQ out to some local stainless steel fabricators. If it's economical I will have them make me a custom mechanical switch. Here's what I'm thinking:

Very interesting design and could perhaps work really well! If you go out and try and make this please make at least 3 and I call dibs! :p

mod note: Please do not quote more than necessary. Picture removed.

druminfected,
Reactions: NoName

OF

If I'm following here, I think this is a bad idea as stands. You're counting on trapping the battery between the screw tip and the cart center pin, right?

So, when you screw it up good and snug and it starts to heat, and the Cera body (being Zirconia) doesn't expand while the rest does, which do you think will break first? The ceramic insulator under the contact in the cart, the pins (the tiny screws) holding the thread plate in or the glue bond on the SS (or Ti depending) ring at the bottom of the tube? One of them has to give, there's a lot of force in play when the battery heats up. Perhaps you'll get lucky and only cave in the top of the battery, probably shorting it to the body of the threads on the cart putting the battery into run away.......and resort to destructive venting since you no longer have the fancy spring to open the circuit and protect it. That last might lead to the need for a trouscoop?

Good idea, but I think it could benefit from a bit more thinking? At the least a spring loaded pin on the fancy switch seems in order?

OF

NothingToSeeHere

Accessory Maker
Thanks for the feedback but I use double protected batteries. They don't get hot so they won't expand. Even after a solid 20 minutes of use the battery is still barely even warm. What will expand? I'm having trouble seeing the likely valid issue that you're raising.

(these issues are exactly why there will only ever be one of these produced!)

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
That's exactly what I imagined I would program for my lathe I just don't have time to draw the part, tear the fucking thing down and set up/run this one off... and I need "it", eg a solution to this jank switch, before the next road trip I take in a month. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and make two for us, eh? If we die then so be it :lol:

If you made the threaded portion long enough you could even use the standard "safety" plug with it, which would really be the only way to store it with a battery in there for sure. Even with the teflon tape on my switches they tend to "wander" out from external vibration.

sneaky101

I would be interested in one myself. Maybe my safety pin would get some use :).

sneaky101,

tavosvo

Anyone with NTSH custom MP notice that the force required to put on and take off has made their cart threads - ceramic bowl loose? I've never been able to wiggle my cart now it's a bit loose. I gave each of the set screws a 1/8 turn in and seemed to tighten it up. But when they were loose cart had intermittent firing. After screw down no problems I guess , but its got me worried.

NothingToSeeHere

Accessory Maker
Anyone with NTSH custom MP notice that the force required to put on and take off has made their cart threads - ceramic bowl loose? I've never been able to wiggle my cart now it's a bit loose. I gave each of the set screws a 1/8 turn in and seemed to tighten it up. But when they were loose cart had intermittent firing. After screw down no problems I guess , but its got me worried.
I haven't had that problem and I've jarred on mine pretty hard replacing all of those O-rings (I must have gone through six different sets trying to find the right material/size). I suggest lubing up the O-rings a little more (one-time thing) and the MP should slide on and off just like the stock one does.

NothingToSeeHere,
Reactions: NoName

OF

Which screws were these? The four in the cart or the four ones that hold the screw plate in? The first ones have noting at all to do with electrical function (will 'fire' normally without them in fact), the outer ones should not effect this either, at least in the soldered version, since the strap should still be well clamped?

In any event, this is spooky. Those four inner screws are threaded into a very thin tube, with a small crimp to serve as the stop. Absent that the screw will short the coil if it goes in too deep and the threaded holes are very easily goofed up.....which is why the factory said 'don't mess with them, send the core in'.

Those parts float a little bit (they need to to keep the ceramic from breaking), but are pretty frail.

(these issues are exactly why there will only ever be one of these produced!)

I think that's a very good thing. Wise. Your having the only one and understanding the limitations is OK but there are definitely batteries that get hot (hey the whole Cera can get too hot to hold, right?). And not all batteries are protected (in fact the highest performers aren't) and are capable of some serious power (duty at ten amps, they can probably supply many times that on their way to battery heaven?

Good show you'll have control of it. Like I said a spring loaded button (or shear pin even) would be good insurance otherwise.

Good luck with it.

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Seems like the search for an alternate switch is getting desperate. If folks have access to the right laves then the following picture is a "basic" button mod I found posted in a different forum. It's not latchable by nature but could easily be altered to do both momentary and latch. The pressure is adjustable by the spring used.
Just thought I'd throw this in for you guys to chew over.

DIYSwitch_zps432869ee.jpg

I agree with OF that direct screwing the contacts together could lead to big trouble. For example the + end of the battery has an inverted pin installed to puncher the top if the battery starts to expand. This is a safety feature to prevent battery from exploding if pressure builds up. Vents instead. I think too much pressure on the top could cause this to perce??
Plus all the other possible problems which OF mentioned.
BTW NTSH, excellent work on the top cap option project..well done.:tup:
:D

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That's awesome! Where'd you find that, if you don't mind me asking? That's what I want.

I found in this thread from Vapor Wall. IIRC, I think you need to be a member to view.? Maybe not?
Not much else to see anyway except a magnet variation.
Just to add to the picture. The black part is insulator, likely delrin which can be screwed to adapt to small battery length variations.. The outer top also unscrews to act as a "off lock" by unscrewing till it prevents button from been pushed. Pretty self explanatory. Best part is contact is accessible for cleaning or replacing.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Despite OF's insistence that arthritis isn't an issue with the Cera, it can be. I'm by no means an old man and my arthritis isn't that bad, but it goes give me issues for sure. Every time I push the button it feels almost like there is a crick in the finger that is pushing the button (doesnt matter which finger i use or hand). Granted, it doesn't stop me from using it most of the time, and when it does I just go take a dab.

So yes, the worse your arthritis, the harder time you will have using this product. But as others have pointed out, there are work arounds for it. I know I've been meaning to get to the Depot to get the end caps to but an eraser or marble in to keep that button depressed for me.

Good luck to you with your decision. I know that I would recommend this to anyone who can keep that button pressed in (its not really that hard to push, it's mainly the orientation of your hand while holding and pushing the button with the same hand).

Check out my solution to the button holding problem on page 105 post #2624 there are pics :tup:

Custom Flower Hardware,

Rocco

So its going on two weeks since I first Contacted TET and it seems like I am just being ignored....This is just really...really disheartening coming from a company that I mention and swear by to my friends all the time as being an awesome American company..... and none of them believe me...Why? Because the 400+ dollars I've spent on A device that is unusable and also the fact that this is taking weeks to even get a solid reply from anyone TET to send it for repair for the 2nd time. I dont know why other people are reporting such quick turnaround on getting their Cera fixed when Ive been waiting for 2 weeks to get even in contact with someone that gives me the go to send her in for repair?????Do they not believe my device is broken or what????????Do they care? I would understand if they just told me what was going on, like hey were busting are balls on the mini cera, or were busting our balls filling orders or repairing other units. But when Im just getting the cold shoulder and have no idea whats going on as to why my product that is under warranty yet is not being treated as if its under warranty, well I feel insulted as A customer to say the least.

Rocco,

OF

So its going on two weeks since I first Contacted TET and it seems like I am just being ignored....This is just really...really disheartening coming from a company that I mention and swear by to my friends all the time as being an awesome American company..... and none of them believe me...Why?

I'm sorry you're having troubles. If you read this (and prior TV) thread(s) you know this is a complaint that comes up from time to time and hasn't yet 'been found to hold water'. I don't think they're singling anyone out, even if folks give them good reason (and having worked CS there are plenty of folks that do that....).

They don't play favorites, nor do they know what you tell your friends (if they did.....).

You know the drill, politely contact them again? Calling works, but most find email to work easier? And again if necessary to get what you want when you want it. If something has gone wrong they don't know about it, right?

They have, IMO, earned their reputation for excellent service. That doesn't include ignoring anyone or not caring, in fact the opposite.

Again, sorry you're having troubles, but as I see it you're the only guy that can fix it and complaining here is not the way to get that done.

OF

showman

Hey, does anyone have any idea why the Cera E-Liquid says "currently under revision" on the website at the moment? Looked through the thread quite a bit, but if this was already discussed and I missed it, I apologize.

showman,

Rocco

Calling them was the first thing I did. Ill list out every way I have contacted them over the past two weeks

And yes I take into consideration the timezone differences when I call or contact.

1st attempt: I called the number, straight to voicemail( I tried every extension that my situation could be related to.
2nd attempt: I called again and straight to voicemail again.
3rd attempt: I emailed the Sales@thermovape adress that is listed on the TET website under the Contact tab.
4th attempt: I sent a PM to Thermocarlo (he responded the last time I had issues geting ahold of TET) this time i wasnt as lucky, no response.
5th attempt: I emailed Zeki, got a response from him instructing me to clean my threaeds with ISO and if it didnt work let him know. Its almost been A week (last wednesday to be exact) since I replied to Zeki saying that I tried cleaning the threads as well as re-inserted the switch into the housing and that there was no improvement.

I then proceeded to explain in my response to Zeki that it is acting exactly the same as it did when I sent it in the first time for repair but now the switch and body get slightly hotter than I remember. It worked fine for a week or so after the first repair and then it started stallling in the middle of a session and eventually it stopped working altogether unless I apply pressure downwards on the cart.

Bottom line, it should not be this hard to get my device serviced under the warranty that was promised with it, and if they are having problems getting caught up with repairs or new orders it shouldnt be so hard to put one update on the website somewhere stating that there will be a wait or delay in response due to whatever the reason may be.

Im not trying to hate on TET, although it may seem like it, Im just making public the troubles I have encountered. I realize I come off as A dick or whatever it may be to the other readers and the people that have had the good fortune of not encountering this customer service issue I have. But I mean I paid good money for this device and the previous generation, just as anyone else did, I dont want anyone at TET kissing my ass, I just want an explanation or a simple response.
Its just confusing as hell when I see these FC user posts of quick turnaround and model customer service...yet here at my end of the screen Im waiting...and waiting, and still trying to contact them... just no luck...no sign, nothing but a broken Cera awaiting repair..

Its only fair that this be addressed, patronize me if you will, makes no difference on the matter.

Rocco,
Reactions: Tom Funk

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Calling them was the first thing I did. Ill list out every way I have contacted them over the past two weeks

And yes I take into consideration the timezone differences when I call or contact.

1st attempt: I called the number, straight to voicemail( I tried every extension that my situation could be related to.
2nd attempt: I called again and straight to voicemail again.
3rd attempt: I emailed the Sales@thermovape adress that is listed on the TET website under the Contact tab.
4th attempt: I sent a PM to Theromocarlo (he responded the last time I had issues geting ahold of TET) this time with no luck.
5th attempt: I emailed Zeki, got a response from him instructing me to clean my threaeds with ISO and if it didnt work let him know. Its almost been A week since I replied to Zeki saying that I tried cleaning the threads as well as re-inserted the switch into the housing and that there was no improvement.

I then proceeded to explain in my response to Zeki that it is acting exactly the same as it did when I sent it in the first time for repair but now the switch and body get slightly hotter than I remember. It worked fine for a week or so after the first repair and then it started stallling in the middle of a session and eventually it stopped working altogether unless I apply pressure downwards on the cart.

Bottom line, it should not be this hard to get my device serviced under the warranty that was promised with it, and if they are having problems getting caught up with repairs or new orders it shouldnt be so hard to put one update on the website somewhere stating that there will be a wait or delay in response due to whatever the reason may be.

I apologize that your having problems getting through. The phone system sometimes is a little complicated to just get through to Zeki. If you press '6' it should connect you straight to him though.

Otherwise either sales@thermovape.com or Info@thermovape.com are the best contact.

Cheers,
Tim

Top Bottom