Discontinued Thermovape Cera

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
The NCR18650A's are discontinued but being replaced by the NCR18650B cell which has an even larger capacity. Are you thinking of the CGR18650CH cell perhaps? The Panasonic cells will not be hard to find.

CentiZen,

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Yes, in fact that's a feature. That screw has a floating nut on the other end held in place by the heater behind that. It traps two insulating ceramic washers (one of which you see) in wells machined in the connector preventing the screw from shorting out. But with heat the ceramic parts expand more slowly (insulation) and to a lesser degree (lower "coefficient of linear expansion", a fancy name for the measure of the difference in expansion rates with heat of different materials, usually in '% per degree'). If it's tight cold it'll be loose hot. If it's loose cold, it'll be looser still. If it's snug hot, it's broken cold..... Don't worry about it, it's normal although some show it more than others.

Yes, I always pull the battery (or back the cap off enough) so the cart 'homes' on the plate. Stainless Steel doesn't 'slide well' without lube, Ti is even worse. The threads should be considered as holding rather than 'snugging up' (that is used as a stop, not a lever in machine terms). The much coarser threads on the end cap are much better suited to tightening up under load. Good call.

I think you're walin' in tall cotton. Enjoy it.

OF

Thanks so much OF. I love the wealth of info you provide in this forum. It makes our Cera expierences that much better!

Custom Flower Hardware,
Reactions: NoName

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
The NCR18650A's are discontinued but being replaced by the NCR18650B cell which has an even larger capacity. Are you thinking of the CGR18650CH cell perhaps? The Panasonic cells will not be hard to find.
The CGR18650CH is what he linked to and asked about.

nopartofme,

Tweek

Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker and a very first time poster (read since the first time of cera introducing- also the first thread, which was closed because of chaos)!
I hope I can join the fun soon, ordered my cera on march 2, so my cera reached my country but was stoped by the german customs two weeks ago!
They said I can't have it because TET don't put an CE certification and no operating instructions in it, also the plug and AC adapter would not be compatible whith the german current! So in the end they send back my cera!
Yesterday I mailed Zeki and he said they had an CE certification for the T1 and he will see what he can do!
Hopefully he can fix this!?
Just want to ask if someone else had similar problems whith customs in europe (I know some guys from Belgium and France also got their units, but anyone from germany ???)

I feel for you brother. I'm in Canada and my unit was held and eventually sent back because of a postal issue. In your case, it could of been a mix-up or someone sent it back to be a pain the ass, knowing full well what it might be used for.

OF

Thanks so much OF. I love the wealth of info you provide in this forum. It makes our Cera expierences that much better!

You're very welcome. Thanks for the over the top nice words, they feel mighty good right now....even if they are making me blush. Could it be you have me confused for two other guys?

And I thought Canadian customs sucked!! Good luck! I feel for ya.

No, Darb, you're right. Canadian Customs does suck, they've just been outsucked by the Germans for the moment it seems. Don't take it too hard, Canada is a young country, the 'Old World' has kind of an unfair advantage there don't you think. Not to worry, I'm sure there are petty little minds hard at work catching up even as we speak?

It's really pretty sad, but laughing at it is better on the blood pressure. Civil Servants.....there's a pair of misnomers to draw to?

Good luck to the OP. If he's got Zeki in his corner he's in good hands, than man doesn't like 'can't' a bit. Trust me on that. One man's problem is another's challenge?

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Has anybody ever looked at these batteries?

18650 3.7V Panasonic Hybrid IMR CGR18650CH rechargeable battery cell is made for high current (max. 10A) applications. 10 Amperes is more than enough to run almost any high drain (high discharge current) electronic device.

It is an excellent choice for people who are looking for high drain IMR 18650 battery cells (Personal Vaporizer-Electronic Cigarette, Flashlights, or any application that requires high discharge current)

I use the Panasonic NCR18650A's today (double protected) and I think they're better than the unprotected ones that ship from TET. My current batteries only hit 6.2A. Is using a 10A battery going to melt my core, switch, (or hands)?
Thanks to Haywood for this link-
Here is the same battery at a steal.

NoName

No, Darb, you're right. Canadian Customs does suck, they've just been outsucked by the Germans for the moment it seems. Don't take it too hard, Canada is a young country, the 'Old World' has kind of an unfair advantage there don't you think. Not to worry, I'm sure there are petty little minds hard at work catching up even as we speak?

It's really pretty sad, but laughing at it is better on the blood pressure. Civil Servants.....there's a pair of misnomers to draw to OF

Attention Canada:

ORDER YOUR CERA's IMMEDIATELY!!! APPARENTLY CANADIAN CUSTOMS IS TOO BUSY WATCHING THE STANLEY CUP TO MISDIRECT/WALAY YOUR CERAS.

Sorry Tweek - see what happens to early adopters? BTW, how's the vapor up north?

To OP: Good luck with re delivery. You're going to love your purchase.

OF

ORDER YOUR CERA's IMMEDIATELY!!! APPARENTLY CANADIAN CUSTOMS IS TOO BUSY WATCHING THE STANLEY CUP TO MISDIRECT/WALAY YOUR CERAS.

Excellent point, order rush shipment right now or hold off for a while. It's a lead pipe cinch that at least some of the inspectors are going to be in a foul mood real soon.....

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
My findings have found the 3100s are great batteries but not really for the loads we need them for. The current rating is good but I found once the load drops to under the 1 ohm mark the actually delivered voltage drops to 3.5 volts or less. This is with a fresh battery too. Indicating the internal resistance is having an unwanted effect. Will also cause the battery to heat more (internally) for the same reason. If load is the .7-.8 ohm from what I've read then these batteries will not have a long usable life for vaping per cycle.
I believe they will work but at the expense of decreased performance.
Just my 2 cents. Stick with the batteries that have been proven to work. CH, PD and I think the Flashvape S2 batteries would work as well.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
I just pulled off the thermal cap since first getting Cera and the heat on the mouthpiece is now a non-issue. With proper technique I can vape 2 loads back to back before it gets to that uncomfortable hot point. :rockon: Just a quick question about the grey vs. green batteries, Do the grey heat up quicker and not last as long vs. the green? I have both and try to pay attenion to that but somehow get lost after the 3rd draw.:tinfoil:

OF

I discovered this about the Cera too. Once I had an effective technique heat became a non issue for me too.

I think this will be the common experience. I tried my best to downplay the alarmists early on (who of course had never seen or tried it so they had to 'look for problems' in my posts).

You can't say it's not an issue, but I think 'used as designed it's not a disqualifying issue' is correct?

IMO it's all part of the learning curve. If it was a lasting issue in normal use, the design would have been changed to prevent that don't you think?

"The fleas come with the dog".

OF

NothingToSeeHere

Accessory Maker
Friends, the new mouthpiece is here! Works perfectly. Looks great. Very high build quality. A tiny bit loose (I told them to make it 19.45 MM vs. 19.25 MM because of the .2 MM manufacturing tolerance - better to be too large than too small) but I'll fix that this weekend with some slightly larger O-rings. Very very happy with how the sample turned out!

LTE2pGA.jpg

bRtqJb0.jpg

060UF6j.jpg

du47Yh3.jpg

I've had 27 people PM me asking for one, so I'll order 30. Then they have to be manufactured - no idea how long that'll take. I'm guessing two weeks? They already have the mould created..that was the tough part. Then they have to be shipped to the U.S. from China (~10 days). I will then post them on eBay and you can pay for them through PayPal. $15, including the necessary O-rings and one ceramic screen.

sneaky101

Friends, the new mouthpiece is here! Works perfectly. Looks great. Very high build quality. A tiny bit loose (I told them to make it 19.45 MM vs. 19.25 MM because of the .2 MM manufacturing tolerance - better to be too large than too small) but I'll fix that this weekend with some slightly larger O-rings. Very very happy with how the sample turned out!

I've had 27 people PM me asking for one, so I'll order 30. Then they have to be manufactured - no idea how long that'll take. I'm guessing two weeks? They already have the mould created..that was the tough part. Then they have to be shipped to the U.S. from China (~10 days). I will then post them on eBay and you can pay for them through PayPal. $15, including the necessary O-rings and one ceramic screen.

That's awesome! I can't wait to order one.

Now, for my first review of the Cera. I've got the EO and LL cores. Only used the LL once, so more to come on that core. But after my strap was repaired and I got it back, I couldn't get the draw right. Seemed like maybe 1 of 10 draws I would get a good hit and the rest weren't even worth fooling with. I was almost to the point of throwing this thing up on eBay, but ordered some of the $0.25 mouthpieces someone suggested earlier. Once I put this little mouthpiece on, it magically transformed the Cera, to the CERA. Thanks to whoever suggested it!!!! Now I get good hits every single draw. These silicone mouthpieces should be included with the original purchase IMO. I'm just glad I found them. And thanks to NothingToSeeHere, I will soon have a nice ceramic mouthpiece to make it all "work" for me as I expected it to.

I look forward to trying the LL core more, but until then....ttfn.

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
Has anybody ever looked at these batteries?

18650 3.7V Panasonic Hybrid IMR CGR18650CH rechargeable battery cell is made for high current (max. 10A) applications. 10 Amperes is more than enough to run almost any high drain (high discharge current) electronic device.

It is an excellent choice for people who are looking for high drain IMR 18650 battery cells (Personal Vaporizer-Electronic Cigarette, Flashlights, or any application that requires high discharge current)

I use the Panasonic NCR18650A's today (double protected) and I think they're better than the unprotected ones that ship from TET. My current batteries only hit 6.2A. Is using a 10A battery going to melt my core, switch, (or hands)?
Aren't these [the NCR18650A's] 3100mAh? So you like them better than the PD2900s that shipped with the Cera? That is interesting.
My findings have found the 3100s are great batteries but not really for the loads we need them for. The current rating is good but I found once the load drops to under the 1 ohm mark the actually delivered voltage drops to 3.5 volts or less. This is with a fresh battery too. Indicating the internal resistance is having an unwanted effect. Will also cause the battery to heat more (internally) for the same reason. If load is the .7-.8 ohm from what I've read then these batteries will not have a long usable life for vaping per cycle.
I believe they will work but at the expense of decreased performance.
Just my 2 cents. Stick with the batteries that have been proven to work. CH, PD and I think the Flashvape S2 batteries would work as well.

Pipes is right, and here's two cents more to add to his. The CH and the PD are the best two choices for our Cera needs. The NCR18650A (3100mAh) and the NCR18650B (3400mAh) are good cells, but not for our use. The Cera core will take longer to heat up, won't get as hot, and the battery itself will get hotter faster if you use the NCRa or NCRb.

Rather than requote my last two messages on the subject, which are lengthy and have graphs, etc. I refer you to them earlier in this very thread, here and here.

druminfected

Update:

We got back a large batch of welded Titanium interfaces! They are in the process of being assembled and should start having them ship out this week to get all caught up.

For me I've been out of the shop a lot recently working on a few other projects, i apologize for not being on the forum as much to give you all updates. I'll try to get more updates out to you in the coming weeks as progress gets made.

Cheers,
Tim

Awesome! I think i know now why my Cera hasn't shipped yet, but looking forward to the welded titanium interfaces for my first experience when I get my CEO!

OF

Pipes is right, and here's two cents more to add to his. The CH and the PD are the best two choices for our Cera needs. The NCR18650A (3100mAh) and the NCR18650B (3400mAh) are good cells, but not for our use. The Cera core will take longer to heat up, won't get as hot, and the battery itself will get hotter faster if you use the NCRa or NCRb.

Rather than requote my last two messages on the subject, which are lengthy and have graphs, etc. I refer you to them earlier in this very thread, here and here.

Bravo, Haywood! Keeping us honest still, I see? Good solid information a guy can make informed choices with, gold IMO.

BTW, I wouldn't worry too much about Pipes being right....hang on, he can fix that, just watch.....

OF

OF,

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
That's awesome! I can't wait to order one.

Now, for my first review of the Cera. I've got the EO and LL cores. Only used the LL once, so more to come on that core. But after my strap was repaired and I got it back, I couldn't get the draw right. Seemed like maybe 1 of 10 draws I would get a good hit and the rest weren't even worth fooling with. I was almost to the point of throwing this thing up on eBay, but ordered some of the $0.25 mouthpieces someone suggested earlier. Once I put this little mouthpiece on, it magically transformed the Cera, to the CERA. Thanks to whoever suggested it!!!! Now I get good hits every single draw. These silicone mouthpieces should be included with the original purchase IMO. I'm just glad I found them. And thanks to NothingToSeeHere, I will soon have a nice ceramic mouthpiece to make it all "work" for me as I expected it to.

I look forward to trying the LL core more, but until then....ttfn.
I think i had posted them up recently, iam glad it helped!!! I know it helped me tremendously and i use the EO exclusively!!!!!!

here are some pics of the heat shrink I received (white & black).
I managed to damage the silicone sleeve I had on,trying to take it off(luckily I have a spare)............... but here is a rough draft of my second attempt in WHITE heat shrink!!!
Sorry super rough draft, the holes didnt come out exactly as i liked.

Someone posted some 2250's from fasttech, they come from hong kong...........does this sound fishy or am I overly paranoid??!!!
thanks

**Edit #2**

All in the name of cera science lol, so i stripped off the white heat shrink to see what black looks like.......................Heres my 3rd attempt-------------->
In black

Herbalist23

Thank you all guys for the kind words!
I dont got a response from Zeki yet, but I'm still patient.
I also asked a guy from a German vapeorizer shop (verdampftnochmal.de) who also had to deal with the customs here, he said there will be no chance without a CE certification!
He mentioned I just could leave out the charger kit, so only the cera will be shipped again (had no batteries purchased), because then
the unit runs under 50 volts and would not require a CE, but not sure about that though!

Another thing I'm not sure about is the strap problem, Zeki told me my cera has a soldered strap, but while reading the thread the most people who send their units in because of strap problems and got it back welded mentioned it would even work better than before? (Or was this only for the Ti)
So I thoght it would be nice if Zeki could change my cera into a welded one, OF?

TIA

druminfected

I
Thank you all guys for the kind words!
I dont got a response from Zeki yet, but I'm still patient.
I also asked a guy from a German vapeorizer shop (verdampftnochmal.de) who also had to deal with the customs here, he said there will be no chance without a CE certification!
He mentioned I just could leave out the charger kit, so only the cera will be shipped again (had no batteries purchased), because then
the unit runs under 50 volts and would not require a CE, but not sure about that though!

Another thing I'm not sure about is the strap problem, Zeki told me my cera has a soldered strap, but while reading the thread the most people who send their units in because of strap problems and got it back welded mentioned it would even work better than before? (Or was this only for the Ti)
So I thoght it would be nice if Zeki could change my cera into a welded one, OF?

TIA
I'm assuming Tim was talking about welded titanium welded interfaces for both SS and TI models, if I'm not mistaken.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Another thing I'm not sure about is the strap problem, Zeki told me my cera has a soldered strap, but while reading the thread the most people who send their units in because of strap problems and got it back welded mentioned it would even work better than before?
The old technique they used of soldering the battery/body strap was prone to some failure detailed pages back in this thread, so they decided to change the process and now build Ceras with a better strap design. It's not that the soldered straps are terrible, but failure is less likely with the new strap.

As for whether the strap influences better noted performance, I don't know. Open question for those that had theirs repaired: did you send it in as a whole kit, or just the body? Those of you that kept the carts, did you notice it working better after the new strap?

druminfected

The old technique they used of soldering the battery/body strap was prone to some failure detailed pages back in this thread, so they decided to change the process and now build Ceras with a better strap design. It's not that the soldered straps are terrible, but failure is less likely with the new strap.

As for whether the strap influences better noted performance, I don't know. Open question for those that had theirs repaired: did you send it in as a whole kit, or just the body? Those of you that kept the carts, did you notice it working better after the new strap?
Since I just ordered one a few days ago and it hasn't shipped out yet,( my guess is install the new wield straps, for the next shippment) I'm sure I will have the newer welded strap so ill let everyone know how it holds up. :)

OF

I think your friend is right, once the issue is raised they won't back down. I think he's also right about the voltage, most countries have similar breaks in the legal requirement, sometimes it includes a total power level as well. But without a charger or batteries you have some ceramic and metal.

I think you're a bit mistaken, so far nobody has any welded units AFAIK. Soldering was a modification a while back to combat connection issues showing up in use. Originally the bottom depended on a crimp of sorts with some conductive epoxy (not up to high currents really) on the bottom and a similar connection above.

I think most of the soldered connections are doing fine, Ti units are a problem as they don't solder, but all the SS guys so happy with results are soldered AFAIK. Mine, which was upgraded to soldered, is doing great, despite being loaned out to a few folks who 'ran it hard and put it up wet' if you follow?

The first batch of welded sub assemblies are back from the welder and were being inspected and installed for the first time. Assuming they test well, I think the idea is to switch over. I'm planning to vist the shop Monday if I can and have a look. I'll for sure let guys know what I see and hear.

OF

Herbalist23

Thanks again guys, I think my decision to join this thread was a very good one!

OF, I think I dont have another choice than to let it ship without charger/AC adapter, I received a letter
from our customs, they rated it as dangerous/ not conform product!(not clear if they meant just the AC adapter/-plug or also the cera)
Thats not my biggest concern, I found a real good charger here akkuteile.de, VP1 from Xtar, what you think
about?
The bigger concern is, may I ever see my cera!
If Zeki cant fix it (CE, instructions, warning etc.) I'm not really confident the customs will not pick it out the next time!
Time will tell!?

About the strap, I really must be mistaken, thanks for clearing!

Top Bottom