The Toasty Top

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
can these glass mouth pieces be jammed into a a diffuser like the pd stems?

I don't have a 14mm gong to try it on, but a short section of 1/2" OD - 3/8" ID silicone tubing slipped over the end of the glass or poly mouthpiece should make a good seal.
The glass mouthpiece is made from a borosilicate glass test tube and should be handled with some care. I am looking for some heavier glass for greater durability.

Alan,

Abysm

Looks nice. (artsy appeal)
Its always interesting to see a concept going retail.

Also did you mention what type of heating element this uses? (I may have missed it)

Abysm,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
I'd like to see a full video on this, as the price and look of this intrigue me.

lesvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Here are a couple of videos my friend made.
He is using a wood mouthpiece roasting tube in the first one and the glass mouthpiece in the second one. He uses a different roasting technique than I normally do. I start with the roasting tube part of the way into the heat sink tube. Everyone seems to have a preferred method.

Toasty Top
Toasty Top Vaporizer

Alan,

gvape

IAmKrazy2 said:
momofthegoons said:
Krazy, with all the PD's and other vapes you own, I can understand. It's a real nice little vape though. And who knows? Never say never. ;)

I didn't say never. I'm a collector, and it is very possible I would get one to try. Honestly, the review from Mom sparked some interest. Damn.

@reece. Not have a "need" has really never stopped me but with the VXC/EpicVape soon, and the recent purchase of an Supreme2 and replacement VHW even I am beginning to think I may be spending too much on vapes as of recent. Oh yeah, did I mention just spent some big bucks on glass too?

That all being said, I kindof want one, but not bad enough to pull the trigger. Yet.

LOL..... after reading this I feel like Im having the same problem. Just got a new 11 Perc Itza Micro and an Epic, and now I see this... Just another thing I want to add to my collection. Looks really nice and Im really intruiged by this.

I wanted to get another glass tube, but I may have to put that on hold and get this.

*EDIT*

My first question about this is can you use the PD or MZ stems with this? The Roasting Tube bowls look a bit bigger, but I may be wrong. Would definitely help me considering buying this more if they are universal. If not oh well, but would greatly improve my likeliness of buying .

Next, how does this compare to hitting a PD. Would you say that they are in the same market or this is something a bit different. Do you get thicker hits with this, or do they seem about the same? Since I have so many vapes i really dont need to purchase anymore, but when something comes along that intrigues me, my wallet flaps open. Mom mentioned a Marshmellow technique, if you do not use this will you scorch your material? Will it ruin the taste? It is a bit harder to hit since you dont put the tube in all the way?

Last question for now... The power adapter seems a bit expensive for $20, can I just use any 12v 2amp M style adapter?

gvape,

hereatlast

gvape: pics of your Itza Micro in the Customized Vape Setup Thread please :D

I liked those vids and thanks to momofthegoons for chiming in with a little review. The shape looks very manageable in the video.

hereatlast,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I'll see if I can answer a couple of your questions gvape. The stems for the MZ, as well as the vapor tubes that Ed makes will work in the Top. However, it is not the other way around. The TT stems will not work in the MZ. I have a couple of glass stems from CD who uses the PD stem tips. They do not work in the TT because the stem tips are not long enough. Although the other stems work in the Top, none work as well in the Top as the ones supplied with it. Again, I do not think that the stems from the Top will work in the PD for the same reasons they don't work in the MZ. The diameter is slightly too big.

I cannot compare the hits to a PD, as I don't own one. I do however, have multiple Zaps. The hit from the Top is a "heavier" hit due, IMO, to the extra heat from the recessed heat port. It could also have to do with the stainless steel, but I cannot be sure of that as I have no basis of comparison. The hit "technique" is not a big deal, IMO again. You just need to be a little more aware of what you are doing as you vape. It's not that it's hard or that the herb will scorch to the extent that it burns. In fact, it is not possible to combust with this vape (I put it to the test by leaving the tube fully in the heat port for a full session.) All that happened is that I got fewer hits and they were a bit harsher. I prefer to use the "marshmallow" method. The hits are more mellow and you get more. Whether it ruins the taste to not use this method is sort of subjective. Personally, I feel it would.

And lastly, the power adaptor. I did say that it is much heavier duty than the ones used by the MZ and PD. I did a little experimenting and used the adaptor for the MZ with the Top and vice versa. The MZ did run a little hotter with the power supply from the Top. But there was not a noticeable difference using the MZ power cord on the Top.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
TV said:
Here are a couple of videos my friend made.
He is using a wood mouthpiece roasting tube in the first one and the glass mouthpiece in the second one. He uses a different roasting technique than I normally do. I start with the roasting tube part of the way into the heat sink tube. Everyone seems to have a preferred method.

Toasty Top
Toasty Top Vaporizer

The Top certainly looks like it is capable of a nice hit. Kudos to your friend, but it would have been more effective had he been working against a dark background, the better to accentuate the cloudiness of the precious vapours.

Also, I'd move to the front the title that informs the viewer how much material he loaded, and I'd add an on-screen counter for the hits. Finally, since he re-loads some partly vaped medicinal phytosubstrate biomass for the last hit (which is still nice and milky) a title pointing this out would help. I don't mean to trash your friend's work, since on the whole it is well done, but I think those tings would make it better for marketing.

The Toasty Top looks like an appealing twist on the log vape. I wish you every success.

pakalolo,

gvape

Thanks MOM, answered that perfect for me. I still think I would use my PD more, but I really like that it runs a bit warmer, a bit better to help sleep for the heavier hit. I love the Toasty Top Tubes though, the tip makes them look like a tool or something.

I read that the power adapter for the Toasty Top was 12v 2amp, correct me if I am wrong, but the PD is only 1 amp. Would this provide any problems? Not sure if anyone can answer that for me. I have a few spare cords already, thats my only reason why I may not order one if I were to get this.

Hereatlast: I been meaning to do that. It looks just like yours without the red lip on your joint.

gvape,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for the answers on the tubes mom.
I have been playing with some high temp food grade silicone o-rings on the outside of the roasting tube. The o-ring only lets the roasting tube so far into the heat sink tube. The o-ring can be slid down the roasting tube as you push it farther into the heat sink tube. The o-ring provides a bit of an air seal too.

gvape - The power supply is rated for 2amp, but the Toasty Top should get at least 1.5 amp. I am selling things separately so that I'm not forcing anyone to buy another power supply if they already have one of the correct amp and voltage. One should always test your voltage to be sure you are applying what the transformer states if you are going to be using your own power supply. The Toasty Top will still set on the stand with a straight in power plug. It will just be tilted at an angle and you won't be able to use it for aroma therapy. It actually works better for heat massage with the straight in power plug.

Edit - I was asked about using a power supply with less than 1000ma capacity for the Toasty Top. I had never tried it, so I tried a 500ma 12v power supply from Radioshack that I had lying around. To my surprise, it is working just fine. The hits are just almost (edit - after side by side comparison) as strong. Now I need to find a heating element for 5 volts.

Here is another video I shot showing the light roasting technique. I had the camera attached to my head so the quality isn't that great. Hope you like it. I am better at design and construction than marketing.

Roasting with the Toasty Top

Alan,
VERY sexy looking vaporizer, and the first video makes it look like it can provide a very nice cloud as well. I'm a big sucker for natural wood from playing guitar, so keep up the good work, your units and stems look simply beautiful. What wood is the image in the first post made out of? Maple?

Edit, just watched the video you made with the cam attached to you, those are some beautifully dense hits.

charliedontsurf,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Yay! Just pulled the trigger one base unit, glass tube, and a red oak tube.

Can't wait... I'll be sure to review, too.

Thanks alan!

-jeff

Orestes,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks Jeff! I will get it right out to you. I hope you will enjoy it.

Alan,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
charlie, if I'm not mistaken, the Top pictured in the OP is mine. If not, mine looks very similar. It is tiger striped maple.

momofthegoons,
Reactions: mvapes

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
The Toasty Top pictured in the first post is the one I sent to mom and she is correct about the tiger stripped maple. I only had enough for a few tops. I need to find some more.

Kelblow - I am looking into what hurdles there might be or what can be done to get over them.

Alan,

Rick

Zapman
TV, could you elaborate a bit more on your 1.5 amp recommendation for the transformer? It looks like you use the same heater used in other log vapes so why would you need more than 1 amp? The heater, hooked to 12 volts, draws less than .8 amps. It is my understanding that an electrical device will only pull the amperage needed, not more than that. That is why we can run a log vape off a high amp car battery. That is also why we have used a 1 amp version for many years.
Your Toasty ran on the .5 amp Radio Shack transformer but it was more than maxing out the transformer. My guess is it may last for a few hours on the half amp wall transformer.
I am curious as mom said her Zap seemed to run hotter with your transformer. Is it AC or DC? The better quality cord/plug, if that is the case, is surely a good thing.

Rick,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Rick - I have always thought that the heater (identical to the Zap, WZ, and PD) required a minimum of.8 amps as well. That is what the calculation shows anyhow. I was also concerned the transformer would be overloaded and overheat. That is why I never tried it. Have been running it on the .5 amp all night and the transformer is no hotter than the 1 amp transformer. I suspect the high temperature of the heater has changed the resistance value as the resistance value does change with temperature. I tested my theory by measuring the resistance just as I unplug a hot Toasty Top. The value is closer to 24 ohms than the original 20. Plugging the 24 ohms into the equation gives .5 amps and 6 watts of power. This may be closer to the actual power usage. Will investigate some more. May need to revise my amp requirements.
You are correct on the heater only using the amperage it requires.
The power transformers I have is DC output. Not sure why it makes the Zap run hotter. There may just be more strands in the wire which allows more current.

Happy Birthday Rick!

Alan,

Rick

Zapman
Aha! DC, not AC like the transformer we use. Somebody out there needs to chime in on the difference between AC and DC when used in our application, straight in to a power resistor to provide heat. I thought I read somewhere there is a difference. A small one but noticeable in our application.
I appreciate the info on the heater resistance when hot. That would explain some things. So did you use the .5 amp from cold or did you plug it into a hot unit?
Current = Amps as I recall so a heavier wire to the output plug should make no difference in heat output. A heavier wire will always allow more amperage to be used by the powered device but we do not need more amperage in this case as it cannot use it.
We have a sweet old Polish Golf cart we use around here so save on old bodies. Now THAT is where you learn about amperage.
Thanks for the BD wishes. My mind still thinks I am 30 but my bod keeps reminding me no way. And the mirror????!!!!!! Don't even go there much anymore. Makes me forget how young I am.

Rick,
As someone who has never used any type of log vape, I think this would top my list of one's to buy just based on its aesthetics and ergonomics.

charliedontsurf,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Hey, I already have a removable plug from my aromazap; Can I just buy a 12v RC battery, cut off its connector, and plug it in? No soldering/extra resistance/regulators needed?

Well I guess RC batteries are internally regulated anyway. I'm ready for sme portable logging!

Orestes,
Top Bottom