Discontinued The Sublimator

nowonknows

grokit

well-worn member
So it's the same through the launchpad tube as the blaze bong, my lungs can hold exactly one rounded pinch spoon or .05g. Just in case anybody cares ;)

I'm having a blast with this thing, and it looks like I used to combust about twice that amount in a single bongload so I know my whole body is thanking me.

:party:

hassan

Connoisseur
I completely agree with you grokit; I've had the Sublimator almost a month and I have yet to clean it except the one time that I poked my glass stirrer from the Extreme Q through on account of having not remembered to put the screen back into the Atomizer prior to packing a bowl.

I figure if I can see a clean air-path through the Atomizer, why bother with a clean?

When I ordered the Sublimator, I decided to get a variety pack of the screens that PV was offering on account of the couple of reviews I'd read regarding the stubbornness of the stock screen and getting it to fit right.

There is something about the stock screens that I love so much more than any of the variations PV has for the Sub - and this is someone who was using solely PV screens in his Solo prior to the change.

Perhaps the reason you guys are feeling the need to clean your piece more often is on account of using the PV screens instead of the stock one?

If any of you feel the opposite holds true, I'd love you to send me your stock screens. ;-)

Tradesies? Haha.

grokit

well-worn member
Thanks for the vote of confidence Hassan :)

I wasn't trying to start a debate, just sharing about my experience like anyone else.

I saw the generic screen assortment at pv, it sounds great for those who like or feel the need to experiment. I like the original ss grill and found no need to experiment, so I went for two extra stock grills instead and I hope they are exactly the same as the one I have now.

Do you just let the grill rest on the top ridge and shake it out every time, or do you push it down further until it sticks?

Dopevape

Hey guys mr UFO burned his hands completely here!! Nah just kiddin' :science:
Here are some pointers for using the UFO after u did the cleaning process getting rid of the machining residues.
Lets say the UFO is cold,

1.start by setting up your (heavy duty) torch use a flame with the inner blue cone about an inch long. Be carefull not to set anything on fire!! Best done outside or at own risque inside after taking proper precautions.

2.Hold the UFO at its chain, the bigger steel mass, at the tip of this inner cone in the flame for about 1 and a half to 2 minutes or until u see the flame around the UFO go reddish/orange, can be cumbersome but doable. Maybe some sort of stand can be employed here something u can come up with.

3.Now put the UFO on the Cone/bowl and let it sit for about 2-3 mins to get thermal equilibrium.

4 Heat again for 2 mins, this is my standard time, but u better watch for the flame getting reddish/orange again depends on how hot u want it. this time will go a little faster the heat up.

5.Put the UFO back on the bowl and let it sit for just about a minute maybe just 30 secs.

6.Drop a portion of herbs in the bowl. This is where u should start experimenting with what u like. I Usually drop some herbs in there and try to see it start vaporizing, when that happens im sort of good and i do a pull. If i'm not good I start torching the top(flame about half an inch sort off) of the Sublimator(UFO + Atomizer) around the pin until the vapor start escaping from the top of the pin and pull again. Mostly its producing very good at that point.

7. From now It's up to you, u can reheat the top again and hit again after refilling the bowl. Might not be best solution to allrdy but your herbs in the bowl and start torching the top but its good indicator for me that the process is working and I can do a hit or 2.

8.If you wanna know if the bowl/atomizer is hot enough u can make your fingers wet and try touching the bowl atomizer around where the teflon sits. If it sizzles your good.

This method works for me. Thought I would share.

greetz and keep SUb'ing

Tweek

I like the stock screens, as they are nice and rigid....but there needs to be more consistency in how they are cut IMO or perhaps a slight redesign if possible (I like the sounds of the lock in screen mentioned). The screen doesn't need to be complicated, just consistent. ;)

The only thing I do not like about the stock screens, is the price. :p

I like your style bro. Love to see people using it so openly.

She is actually a lovely looking gal ;)

And tell Daryl Brown to reconsider popping his collars and saying FU to the camera. :p But I imagine nobody tells Daryl Brown what to do, right?

Thanks for the vids and updates :spliff:

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I keep thinking there's got to be a way to pre-heat the UFO at home using some kind of candle set up or something, safely of course. Maybe some kind of metal stand where it can sit over the flame of a small candle (tea light) and get hot with out burning up your torch. I grew up with potpourri oil burners that ran on tea lights to heat the oils and make them smell. UFO TEA LIGHT STAND :) Then you could put the warm UFO on and get it up to temp much faster with out using up all your butane and putting the wear on the torch... you out there Enrico? I know you are on the road but I hope you see this. Or some kind of hot plate might work, but then you have to deal with electricity. I have a coffee cup warmer that would probably keep it fairly warm, to cut back on the heating time... woke up brainstorming so you just have to bear with me here folks... passing ideas along is all. I don't have a UFO yet, but want one, and hoping to clear up some funds in the near future to put towards getting one. Some kind of UFO stand might be good to have anyway so you have a place to put it when its hot, and you need to remove it from the atomizer. Why not make it so you can slip a tea light under where the UFO rests in the stand? It would probably not be a far stretch from the design of the Apollo Bay stand that's already being made.

:doh: d'oh, it just dawned on me that the candle might make soot on the bottom of the UFO, so maybe it would have to be another method... but the general idea is good.

Dopevape

I keep thinking there's got to be a way to pre-heat the UFO at home using some kind of candle set up or something, safely of course. Maybe some kind of metal stand where it can sit over the flame of a small candle (tea light) and get hot with out burning up your torch. I grew up with potpourri oil burners that ran on tea lights to heat the oils and make them smell. UFO TEA LIGHT STAND :) Then you could put the warm UFO on and get it up to temp much faster with out using up all your butane and putting the wear on the torch... you out there EnrReplyico? I know you are on the road but I hope you see this. Or some kind of hot plate might work, but then you have to deal with electricity. I have a coffee cup warmer that would probably keep it fairly warm, to cut back on the heating time... woke up brainstorming so you just have to bear with me here folks... passing ideas along is all. I don't have a UFO yet, but want one, and hoping to clear up some funds in the near future to put towards getting one. Some kind of UFO stand might be good to have anyway so you have a place to put it when its hot, and you need to remove it from the atomizer. Why not make it so you can slip a tea light under where the UFO rests in the stand? It would probably not be a far stretch from the design of the Apollo Bay stand that's already being made.

:doh: d'oh, it just dawned on me that the candle might make soot on the bottom of the UFO, so maybe it would have to be another method... but the general idea is good.

I was thinking along those lines as well Jam. Keep thinking :D

About the candle light, how would one go to work with this thing when using a campfire? :s on top of a grill or something?

Dopevape,
I was thinking along those lines as well Jam. Keep thinking :D

About the candle light, how would one go to work with this thing when using a campfire? :s on top of a grill or something?

I would think for a campfire you should be able to just throw it in and leave the chain out enough so that you can grab it. I'm pretty sure it should be long enough so that the end you grab does not and will not get hot.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
yeah, as far as I understand, you can just toss it into the fire, probably do best sitting it on some hot coals, or even heating up a rock (be careful they can pop) and setting it on that near the coals... so it doesn't get smoked up as bad. I do wonder what the soot factor will be using fire to heat it. We also have one of those small cast iron Great Northern wood stoves (portable) for using during burn bans and what not, so that would heat it well too once it was going.

I have been using the stock screen for the last day, it's staying in place so far, and no signs of clogging just yet. One of the reasons I've cleaned mine so far is to collect all the amber oils from the cloudbuddy. It starts to build up to the point that it coats the outside of the 14/18 reducer and the entire chamber of the cloudbuddy, so I do like to freshen it up once in a while. I just use a small amount of 99% Iso to reclaim, I might switch over to Everclear next time I get the chance to buy some, see how that goes. I have to say that sublimate oil is quite potent. I'm running more flowers than concentrates right now, but do have some bubblehash in the rotation.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

grokit

well-worn member
I can't wait for the UFO to get here now, these are some great ideas! Dopevape, thanks for posting your technique, bookmarked for future reference :bowdown:

I don't know if a candle will be able to generate the amount of heat required, but I would love it if it somehow ends up working.

I was thinking that a small cast iron frying pan full of charcoal and placed on a trivet would be a pretty safe bet, transferring the hot coals in from a hibachi outside or even hookah coals from an indoor hot plate.

:2c::peace:

Tweek

I don't believe a candle would do much. From what I have seen, that unit has to really be torched red to get up to the proper temp.

A frying pan full of coals indoors sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

grokit

well-worn member
I don't believe a candle would do much. From what I have seen, that unit has to really be torched red to get up to the proper temp.

You obviously don't hookah your shisha very much! Keep the frying pan on the stove if it makes you feel better, no more dangerous than cooking an egg.

Tweek

You obviously don't hookah your shisha very much! Keep the frying pan on the stove if it makes you feel better, no more dangerous than cooking an egg.

No I don't hookah. I also don't like charcoal in my house...and it can be pretty dangerous with someone careless enough. As can cooking an egg...I've seen a kitchen go up in flames :p

Dopevape

First time around u can torch it reddish is best to get to needed temp fast. but second time do not torch it glowing red! Is one hell of a hit tho :) but your up for a nice cleaning job afterwards and you wont like it when everything stinks ...

Dopevape,
Reactions: Tweek

weedemon

enthusiast
i'd hate the soot build up that would form on the ufo from a candle. burning wax is dirty shit. not in my lungs thanks. :puke:

hold a piece of metal over a candle and test this if you don't believe me.

I completely agree with you grokit; I've had the Sublimator almost a month and I have yet to clean it except the one time that I poked my glass stirrer from the Extreme Q through on account of having not remembered to put the screen back into the Atomizer prior to packing a bowl.

the only cleaning I would suggest is to unscrew the 2 pieces of the atomizer occasionally and clean out the junk that collects there. I don't add it to my sublimate. I like to keep that stuff prestine. (reg clear and consistent)

is this build up not happening to anyone else?

If i don't do this I find the handle will start to spin freely while the 2 pieces remain solid. this is not optimal for me as it messes with balances.

+1 on the variety pack PV sells. i put the ultra fine one at the bottom of the 2nd narrowing with the stop grill on top (it doesn't fit down the 2nd narrowing at all.)

weedemon,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
i'd hate the soot build up that would form on the ufo from a candle. burning wax is dirty shit. not in my lungs thanks. :puke:

hold a piece of metal over a candle and test this if you don't believe me.

lol, she addressed this weedemon. she said soot is a problem that would need to be fixed.
maybe by a thin piece metal or a ceramic plate, like a potpurri pot, something that transfers heat well
the only cleaning I would suggest is to unscrew the 2 pieces of the atomizer occasionally and clean out the junk that collects there. I don't add it to my sublimate. I like to keep that stuff prestine. (reg clear and consistent)

is this build up not happening to anyone else?

If i don't do this I find the handle will start to spin freely while the 2 pieces remain solid. this is not optimal for me as it messes with balances.

+1 on the variety pack PV sells. i put the ultra fine one at the bottom of the 2nd narrowing with the stop grill on top (it doesn't fit down the 2nd narrowing at all.)
if you mean the stuff under where your new ultrafine screen is, then yes, that's why i started using it ;)
same thing with the handle separating easier, but i think that is separate issue, am more on it about keeping that tight (use gloves when needed!)

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: Dopevape
Top Bottom